Notices

Scandella Two Year Extension [1.025M per year]

Old
06-21-2013, 12:38 AM
saywut

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Mays Here View Post
Scandella certainly has a higher ceiling than Stoner and your assessment of Gilbert is crap.
Typo on my part, meant floor not ceiling.

Where am I wrong on Gilbert? He played behind Spurgeon all year on the right side. He was a healthy scratch, Spurgeon never was. Gilbert's was/would be our #3RD barring injury/Brodin slump. He can't skate, his puck decisions are bad, not going to be used on the PP(Spurgeon/Pominville are superior RH options) so offensive upside is minimal(though he's regressed there anyways). While +/- isn't the greatest stat, Tom Gilbert did rank last among our D there. While its debatable whether he or Kyle Brodziak is our worst player making over 2M, we're much thinner at center than depth d-men, and Yeo never benched Brodziak last year, he did bench Gilbert.

I can understand if some think comparing him to Martin Skoula is an insult but I was fine with Martin Skoula as a 3rd pairing d-man. Just like I'm fine with Tom Gilbert as a 3rd pairing d-man, just don't like his cap-hit and feel it could be better utilized, and with the compliance buy-out it should be a no-brainer if Leipold wants to win.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 12:44 AM
DeuceMN
Really?

vCash: 50
I'm sorry but I think it is absurd to be saying that Spurgeon is clearly our #3, and better than Gilbert.

Gilbert had a bad year. That's it. He's not Barker.

Brodziak had a bad year. Again, that's it.

Now it is possible that they will just suck for the rest of their lives, but I doubt that. If they are still sucking after 1/4 of the next season is over, then maybe it will be fair to think they're broken or whatever, but both of these players played completely out of character for them this season.

Let us also keep in mind, that our coaching staff had barely any continuity this entire season - That has to take it's toll on the players.

And Spurgeon plays in fairly sheltered situations much of the time. You think he's as capable as taking d-zone starts as Gilbert? Or shutting down top forwards? Spurgeon's either getting squashed against the glass in our zone, or letting pucks squeak past him far too often in the o-zone (I know it's a bit of an exaggeration but it does seem to happen a lot).

DeuceMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 08:46 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Why do people keep repeating this? It's really not anywhere near as bad as you guys are saying.
Because it is extremely accurate. Even Russo called it out a few times. I respect your assessment of his play, but he shouldn't be used for anything other than the powerplay. Period. He is too small, cannot pinch, and certainly cannot be physical to be a Top 4 in the NHL. This isn't like St. Louis a winger, you cannot have small D who cannot push big guys out of position in front of the net or be able to keep the puck in the zone. There were at least 6 games I went to where we were pressing hard in the offensive zone and Spurgeon could not keep the damn thing in the zone because he couldn't handle the pass or couldn't get to the boards quick enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceMN View Post
And Spurgeon plays in fairly sheltered situations much of the time. You think he's as capable as taking d-zone starts as Gilbert? Or shutting down top forwards? Spurgeon's either getting squashed against the glass in our zone, or letting pucks squeak past him far too often in the o-zone (I know it's a bit of an exaggeration but it does seem to happen a lot).
Exactly. The kid has a great shot and I would love him on the PP as much as possible. But as a defensemen in this league, he is exactly the opposite of what you want out there. I watched Hal Gill a number of times rock that kids world just by throwing him. Literally throwing him off the puck.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 12:06 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Compare Torey Krug and Jared Spurgeon. (both from wikipedia)

Torey Krug:
Height 5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)
Weight 180 lb (82 kg; 12 st 12 lb)

Jared Spurgeon:
Weight 185 lb (84 kg; 13 st 3 lb)

Outside of one major issue in the final series where Krug should have put the stick flat against the ice, I don't have a lot of things I can use as faults to his game.

i dunno. i have admitted in the past to not really liking Spurgeon's game much. I worry that Krug has only amped it up for the Bruins because it is the playoffs... I sort of like Bartokowskiwhatevshisnameis game as well.

Odd how Krug has supplanted Dougie Hamilton, though, eh?

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 12:33 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
Compare Torey Krug and Jared Spurgeon. (both from wikipedia)

Torey Krug:
Weight 180 lb (82 kg; 12 st 12 lb)

Jared Spurgeon:
Weight 185 lb (84 kg; 13 st 3 lb)

Outside of one major issue in the final series where Krug should have put the stick flat against the ice, I don't have a lot of things I can use as faults to his game.

i dunno. i have admitted in the past to not really liking Spurgeon's game much. I worry that Krug has only amped it up for the Bruins because it is the playoffs... I sort of like Bartokowskiwhatevshisnameis game as well.

Odd how Krug has supplanted Dougie Hamilton, though, eh?
I don't think Spurgeon is 5'9 though one of the girls that sits behind me is 5'3 and she said she can almost look him dead in the eyes with flats on.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 01:48 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
There's no ****ing way Spurgeon is 5'9. Maybe 5'7.

With that said, if Spurgu isn't our #3, then who is?

06-21-2013, 02:06 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
I don't think Spurgeon is 5'9 though one of the girls that sits behind me is 5'3 and she said she can almost look him dead in the eyes with flats on.
Neither is Krug...

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 02:15 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I don't think any of the bottom four have established themselves as being #3/4 defensemen with the Wild yet, but Spurgeon has probably had the most success of any of them in that spot.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 03:44 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

spurge definitely has the most trust from the coaching staff, so effectively he's it until someone outplays him.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 04:15 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Spurgeon is a #3 defenseman like Marek Zidlicky was a #1 defenseman last season. By default.

Old
06-21-2013, 08:49 PM
Victorious Secret
Need home, pls adopt

vCash: 5973
definitely flummoxed at how Scandella got so much money.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 12:54 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
definitely flummoxed at how Scandella got so much money.
Stoner is getting around the same. It's not that bad of a contract.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 05:27 PM
Beegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceMN View Post
I'm sorry but I think it is absurd to be saying that Spurgeon is clearly our #3, and better than Gilbert.

Gilbert had a bad year. That's it. He's not Barker.

Brodziak had a bad year. Again, that's it.

Now it is possible that they will just suck for the rest of their lives, but I doubt that. If they are still sucking after 1/4 of the next season is over, then maybe it will be fair to think they're broken or whatever, but both of these players played completely out of character for them this season.

Let us also keep in mind, that our coaching staff had barely any continuity this entire season - That has to take it's toll on the players.

No way. And to add to my no way you will see Wild management agreeing with me when they buy out Gilbert. Gilbert when not putting up points is an awful offensive defenseman and an awful defensive defenseman. Spurgeon is a much better defensive defenseman than Tom Gilbert. Gilbert was minus 11. Spurgeon a +1. If Tom Gilbert in your top 4 your in big trouble in this league. He was awful after that first 10 games or so. Just bad all around. Time for him to go.

Beegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 05:30 PM
Beegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala View Post
exactly. With Scandella's potential we could have a real nice bargain there!

Old
06-22-2013, 05:32 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beegoalie View Post
No way. And to add to my no way you will see Wild management agreeing with me when they buy out Gilbert. He was awful after that first 10 games or so. Just bad all around. Time for him to go.
One bad season (well more like a half season) and you're ready to throw him out the window already huh?

So I guess everyone that had a down year needs to go too? Okay then, bye-bye Granlund, Heatley, Brodziak, Konopka, Falk, Backstrom and Harding.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 06:05 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
One bad season (well more like a half season) and you're ready to throw him out the window already huh?

So I guess everyone that had a down year needs to go too? Okay then, bye-bye Granlund, Heatley, Brodziak, Konopka, Falk, Backstrom and Harding.
Backstrom might not come back. Brodziak is only kept because we don't have center depth. Heatley would have been bought out if not injured. Harding and Gilbert have been rumored by fans to be buyout candidates. Konopka and Gilbert are on the trade block.

Old
06-22-2013, 08:10 PM
Beegoalie

Quote:

He has regressed since one solid season in Edmonton long ago. He hasn't done anything for us in Minnesota. Lead the team in -'s since he's been here. You want to keep the guy?? We need cap space. Easy 4M compliance buyout right there.

We need a goalie, Spurgeon needs a raise. Gonna have to do something. Cant buy out Heatley. Gilbert is as good as gone.

Old
06-22-2013, 08:12 PM
Beegoalie

Quote:

Its funny because out of the players you mentioned many of them might actually be gone. Konopka and Gilbert are being openly offered around the league. Backstrom is probably 50/50 coming back. Granlund is a prospect so unfair to include him and Brodziak is likely being shopped as well with his salary.

Old
06-23-2013, 12:40 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
He has regressed since one solid season in Edmonton long ago. He hasn't done anything for us in Minnesota. Lead the team in -'s since he's been here. You want to keep the guy?? We need cap space. Easy 4M compliance buyout right there.
Uh, the fact he was the number 1 defenseman for Minnesota after being traded and did a solid job there is something he's done.

Quote:
We need a goalie, Spurgeon needs a raise. Gonna have to do something. Cant buy out Heatley. Gilbert is as good as gone.
If Spurgy gets 2x as much as he is getting now, it'll be a shade over 1.40 million. He's not going to need much more than that.

Old
06-23-2013, 03:31 PM
Beegoalie

Quote:
Uh, the fact he was the number 1 defenseman for Minnesota after being traded and did a solid job there is something he's done.

If Spurgy gets 2x as much as he is getting now, it'll be a shade over 1.40 million. He's not going to need much more than that.

Gilbert?????

You are talking about Gilbert? Done a solid job...#1 defenseman? The only success he had was playing with Scandella while Scandy was on his game for about 10 games the year we got him. Since then he has been brutal.

He was a healthy scratch for cripes sakes..and has led the Wild in -'s since he's been on the team.

And Spurg will be getting more than 1.4 a year..2.2-2.5 is much more likely IMO..look at other deals for defenseman recently especially young puck movers. No way he doesn't get into the 2million range.

Old
06-23-2013, 05:42 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
And Spurg will be getting more than 1.4 a year..2.2-2.5 is much more likely IMO..look at other deals for defenseman recently especially young puck movers. No way he doesn't get into the 2million range.
Spurge has shown just about the same as Scandella and Stoner has, which is a lot of potential but not all the pieces together. He is not going to get as much as guys like Niskanen. I could see around 1.5 but not much more than that.

Old
06-23-2013, 11:30 PM
Sportsfan1

Can't replace the whole D this offseason, Wild desperetly need Scandella to be a force and the player he can be next to Spurgeon next year.

Sportsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 12:24 AM
Victorious Secret
Need home, pls adopt

vCash: 5973
Quote:
That is true. But couldn't we agree that Stoner is overpaid?

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 02:00 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
That is true. But couldn't we agree that Stoner is overpaid?
I don't think $1 million is bad at all for your average 3rd pairing shutdown d-man.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 09:52 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Stoner just isn't consistent enough and doesn't bring enough to keep as a regular defenseman. At times he's a nice physical shutdown D and at times he seems like he's playing for the other team. His gap control is atrocious, essentially gives the other team free odd man rushes. Not much puck movement or offense, he's not as inept as some guys we've seen but to me he's just not someone you want to lean on at all. A #6/7 guy on a mediocre team but I don't think Stoner would crack the lineup on a team like Chicago or Boston.