HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Roberto Luongo to... ANYWHERE!

Closed Thread

Old
06-23-2013, 10:14 PM
veedubn1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
Considerably? Because 1 team is out of the running? Methinks after the deadline day shenanigans these two teams were never going to complete a trade anyways.

I actually think Luongo's value just went up - as the best RFA has been snapped up.
three 5th's and a handshake?

seriously... another Vancouver fan with the "less teams interested in his services the more his value goes up"mentality?

Old
06-23-2013, 10:42 PM
archangel archangel

vCash: 157
Luongo for Gagner

Old
06-23-2013, 11:02 PM
tempest2i
You and Whose Army?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcrazycanuck View Post
Luongo for Gagner
How about no.

Old
06-23-2013, 11:03 PM
OgoBoHo
FIRE DESJARDINS

vCash: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
If Vanny was smart, they'd trade Schneider for something good, and roll with Lou - no sane GM if gonna trade for that contract.

He showed in the playoffs he can still play the game. Play him out until the buyout is reasonable, like in 6 years.

Schneider is the trade-able asset, not RL.
Too many toes have been stepped on - too late to keep Luongo.

Old
06-23-2013, 11:39 PM
archangel archangel

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
How about no.
why? deal makes sense for both sides

Old
06-23-2013, 11:40 PM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

vCash: 1675
Quote:
Horcoff as a 2C doesn't seem too sensible to me.(and if he gets bought out then it's even worse)

Old
06-23-2013, 11:46 PM
OgoBoHo
FIRE DESJARDINS

vCash: 53
Quote:
Not for Edmonton, unless they have a 2C they're hiding from everyone.

Old
06-23-2013, 11:58 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Because Luongo won't be bought out? Could be a pretty good reason I think.
No as per you, he wont be bought out but will be traded for Gardiner and 1st no less. I', sure Gillis can get value for Lou, If he eats half the contract of Lou's for the duration. Incessant trolling of Leaf fans by some Nucks fans, finally will cease.

Old
06-24-2013, 09:23 AM
TOGuy14

Quote:
Because Luongo won't be bought out? Could be a pretty good reason I think.
Looking over the roster and the cap situation I think any reasonable person can say that one way or another Roberto Luongo CANNOT be on the Canucks roster at the start of next season

http://capgeek.com/canucks/

With that said, there is also going to be a glut of veteran goalies on the market this summer Lu's value is at an all time low.

Unless Gillis is willing to take back a not so pretty contract I don't see many realistic options outside of a buyout.

Old
06-24-2013, 09:38 AM
Mogo
#GameOver

vCash: 814
Luongo for Upshall, Kuba, 3rd round pick and Nucks eat up part of his contract

Old
06-24-2013, 09:44 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
Luongo for Upshall, Kuba, 3rd round pick and Nucks eat up part of his contract
That's absolutely ridiculous! You do realize there's a simple solution for the Canucks to get rid of Luongo without taking on a bunch of garbage and dead cap weight, without having to buy him out too right? As much as people don't want to believe in $125 waivers it does exist. As much as people don't want to believe Luongo has openly said he would walk away from his contract if he could, he did. Sorry it doesn't play into the whole "Canucks are screwed" fantasy.

06-24-2013, 09:53 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
That's absolutely ridiculous! You do realize there's a simple solution for the Canucks to get rid of Luongo without taking on a bunch of garbage and dead cap weight, without having to buy him out too right? As much as people don't want to believe in $125 waivers it does exist. As much as people don't want to believe Luongo has openly said he would walk away from his contract if he could, he did. Sorry it doesn't play into the whole "Canucks are screwed" fantasy.
Nobody believes that nonsense but you.

06-24-2013, 09:53 AM
dats81

By now even the hard core fans should have realized that there are no takers for Luongo and his current contract.

No matter how good of a hockey player he still is at the moment, in a couple of years his contract will hand-cuff his team.

Old
06-24-2013, 09:58 AM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

vCash: 50
Quote:
Said it before, I'll say it again - who in their right mind would walk away from the $30 million or so that Lu is owed still? The last thing Lu owes to Vancouver (after being treated like **** the past 2-3 years) is to help them by forfeiting his contract.

Old
06-24-2013, 10:00 AM
madmike77

I consider Bernier a more valuable asset than Luongo and he didn't get a huge return.

Given Luongo's contract I'm not sure he has any real value. The only way to unload him may be for Vancouver to give up assets, which I doubt they would do.

Old
06-24-2013, 10:02 AM
Mogo
#GameOver

vCash: 814
Quote:

Ok, we'll add a 4th next year too

Old
06-24-2013, 10:12 AM
threeGo

Quote:
If vancouver decides to buy him out, it might be smarter to trade him for crap and buyout the cheaper contract, thus saving themselves money and getting a draft pick (2nd or 3rd out of it). But nobody is going to give VAN 1st + prospect at this point.

Old
06-24-2013, 10:17 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
You're kind of alone in that thought.

The longer it takes to move Luongo the less valuable and more damaging his contract becomes. It's clear Schneider is the goalie of the future for Vancouver so literally the only thing keeping Luongo there is the fact is they can't find anyone to trade anything substantial for him.

Old
06-24-2013, 10:19 AM
SoupyFIN
Global Moderator
#CatsAren'tComing

vCash: 15000
Quote:
Hey, now you at least know how we've felt for the past year or so, listening to this "Huberdeau/Bjugstad/Gudbranson/Petrovic, two of those + a high 1st are coming back if we're trading Lu" -crap.

Old
06-24-2013, 11:17 AM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedubn1 View Post
three 5th's and a handshake?

seriously... another Vancouver fan with the "less teams interested in his services the more his value goes up"mentality?

I think most people considered the Leafs out of the Luongo sweepsteaks. Something tells me Nonis/Gillis aren't going to make many deals together in the future.

What has happened, is another goalie who was going to be traded, was traded to a team that Lu (likely) wasnt going to.

The number of Luongo suitors is the same, but the number of goalies on the market is fewer.

Old
06-24-2013, 11:32 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

I trust Arthur Staple pretty well. He may not have the smarts of Mckenzie but he never makes definitive statements unless his sources are rock solid.

He has tweeted that there is a zero chance of Luongo on the Island and sees a Luongo buyout as possible.

Nucks are likely out of options here.

I think he goes to Philly, with maybe Ballard and Booth. Philly sends back Bryz, and cooks all the ingredients so that it helps VCR with the cap and payroll.

Old
06-24-2013, 11:48 AM
tempest2i
You and Whose Army?

Quote:
No it really doesn't.

The Oilers don't have another 2C to take Gagner's spot. They are very light at C overall.

And Luongo has a terrible contract. A contract that I feel the Oilers should not add under any circumstances.

Old
06-24-2013, 11:59 AM
Alflives*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
I trust Arthur Staple pretty well. He may not have the smarts of Mckenzie but he never makes definitive statements unless his sources are rock solid.

He has tweeted that there is a zero chance of Luongo on the Island and sees a Luongo buyout as possible.

Nucks are likely out of options here.

I think he goes to Philly, with maybe Ballard and Booth. Philly sends back Bryz, and cooks all the ingredients so that it helps VCR with the cap and payroll.
I think you're right. The Philly connection seems to be a good fit for Luongo. I wonder how many players and picks a trade involving Luongo will have to include for it to really happen? Maybe the Canucks will be forced to trade Schnieder and Keep Luongo?

Old
06-24-2013, 12:04 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
I feel like Philly makes the most sense. They obviously aren't happy with Bryz (will he/won't he be bought out? Going after Bernier).

Philly is a competitive team, with a rich/competitive owner.

Luongo is the best available "puck stopping guy" available.

Quote:
No it really doesn't.

The Oilers don't have another 2C to take Gagner's spot. They are very light at C overall.

And Luongo has a terrible contract. A contract that I feel the Oilers should not add under any circumstances.
I agree a Gagner/Lu swap doesn't make sense.

But I've said before I think Lu's contract would actually be pretty solid for the Oilers.
- 5 years of goaltending that (I think its safe to say) would be better than the next 5 years of Dubnyk.
- Luongos contract expires as the kids enter their prime (Hall will be 27)
- Gives you a chance to develop a young goaltender behind Luongo (ala Schneider/Rask/Bernier).
- If you get a 20-22 year old goalie behind Lu, he will be entering his prime the same time as the kids (ala Schneider/Rask/Bernier).

Old
06-24-2013, 12:08 PM
Halibut

Quote:
No it really doesn't.

Agreed. The only reason I think a deal with Edmonton is possible is if Mactavish catches Bob Gainey disease and suddenly thinks the contract isnt so bad. Still the only way I see it going down would be straight across for Horcoff.

Closed Thread