HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Talk Part V: Flyers own the 11th overall pick

Closed Thread

Old
06-24-2013, 08:44 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
going by css rankings
I just really want de la Rose in the second round. Haha. I think he may be an under-the-radar type of guy. I think early in the year a lot of people had him going in the mid to late first round, and now his name is hardly mentioned at all, let alone in the first round. He's a big winger, could fit in nicely on the second or third line in a couple years. Unless I am mistaken, he doesn't have a ton of offensive potential, he's just a big, good player.

Old
06-24-2013, 08:51 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I just really want de la Rose in the second round. Haha. I think he may be an under-the-radar type of guy. I think early in the year a lot of people had him going in the mid to late first round, and now his name is hardly mentioned at all, let alone in the first round. He's a big winger, could fit in nicely on the second or third line in a couple years. Unless I am mistaken, he doesn't have a ton of offensive potential, he's just a big, good player.
i know what you mean. This draft just is ridiculously loaded. That is why im hoping we can trade back and get multiple picks in the first round.

I think the way that happens is if Shinkaruk falls to us at 11. calgary may want to trade up for the hometown kid..... that would be my dream scenario.

Old
06-24-2013, 09:09 AM
Broad Street Elite

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute Couturier View Post
I'd rather have the 11th pick and Coots, too, but what on earth makes you believe Zadorov is on that level?
First, let me preface by saying that I don't think what I am about to say will actually happen, but I understand the premise. Zadarov is a huge, physical, fluid-skating defenseman. I already like his defensive play as much or more than Jones because of the physical element that is currently non-existent with Jones. He has essentially 0 edge to his game at this stage and that's rarely something that develops.

Where Zadorov loses huge to Jones is in offensive production, but unlike where Jones completely lacks edge, Zadorov has offensive tools. He can carry a puck and make big man moves*. His shot has strength, but needs development.

At the end of the day, Zadorov would take A LOT of development to surpass Jones, but he has the physical (and based on reports, mental) acumen to get there. Those who think he develops into a 30+ point defenseman just think that he'll make that development (like a Chara, Rob Blake, Pronger, etc). Those that don't still view him as a Coburn type defenseman.

For Jones, development puts the sky as the limit.... lack of development probably equates to a JayBo type player.

*see Charo spinorama goal, which was really only impressive in that it came from a man of his size.

Old
06-24-2013, 09:25 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
i know what you mean. This draft just is ridiculously loaded. That is why im hoping we can trade back and get multiple picks in the first round.

I think the way that happens is if Shinkaruk falls to us at 11. calgary may want to trade up for the hometown kid..... that would be my dream scenario.
Yeah, that'd be nice. If he fell to us, and Read was being dangled, I could see the Flyers drafting Shinkaruk, and trading Read for a first and grabbing a defender later in the round. I would not be opposed to that. There are a lot of things that could go down in the next week or so that I wouldn't really be against or for. This scenario falls into that category. Trading back is something I really think the Flyers should do if a number of the big name defenders are still around at 11 (Risto, Z, Pulock, Morrissey, Morin). Not too far back though...

Old
06-24-2013, 09:29 AM
Haute Couturier

Anthony San Filippo's mock has them taking Morin. He says they really like Zadorov, but he has him gone at 10.

Old
06-24-2013, 09:36 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Not as comprehensive as that Zadorov vid, but here is one for Rist:

Old
06-24-2013, 10:25 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Not as comprehensive as that Zadorov vid, but here is one for Rist:

I have a feeling they may be leaning towards him. Only because he may play right away. I still say Morin has the higher upside though. It would be nice to slide back and pick up an extra pick in the 1st round but that is highly unlikely.

Old
06-24-2013, 10:26 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
I have a feeling they may be leaning towards him. Only because he may play right away. I still say Morin has the higher upside though. It would be nice to slide back and pick up an extra pick in the 1st round but that is highly unlikely.
Rist is ready now, and may not necessarily have a high ceiling as some of the others, but he definitely have a much higher floor than most right now.

Old
06-24-2013, 10:33 AM
KJS14

Personally, I'd prefer they draft Ristolainen with #11. He seems to be a perfect combination of a tough, mean, hitting and puck moving defenseman. He may not be as big as Zadorov but he still has NHL ready size. At the very most he needs another year or two of development and transitioning to the NA game.

I'd also like Holmgren to trade into the 18-25 range to draft either another defensemen or Fucale. I think Morin would still be available, and it sounds like Pulock could drop that far as well. Fucale would add another top goaltender prospect to go along with Stolarz.

Old
06-24-2013, 10:38 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
$10 says Homer goes off the board and drafts someone no one projected.

06-24-2013, 10:40 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Rist is ready now, and may not necessarily have a high ceiling as some of the others, but he definitely have a much higher floor than most right now.
I agree. They are going to get a very good kid at 11. When it comes to the 1st round, I have a ton of faith in the Flyers and their scouting department. Should be a very interesting week or so here in "Flyer" nation.

Old
06-24-2013, 10:41 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
I think that while he may be ready this year, I don't think he'll be on the team. Especially since they added Streit, there is just no room for anyone else.

Timonen-Schenn
Coburn-Streit
Grossmann-Gus/Mez

Even if Mez or Coburn or Grossmann gets moved, I still don't see Risto (or any other defenseman) cracking the lineup. Get rid of one of them and I still don't see it happening.

Timonen-Schenn
Coburn-Streit
Risto-Gus/Mez

or

Timonen-Schenn
Grossmann-Streit
Risto-Gus/Mez

or

Timonen-Schenn
Coburn-Streit
Grossmann-Gus/Risto

Those just all seem unlikely, unless the organization is simply not sold on Gus. As some of you know, I am not sold on Gus and even I would have Risto wait a year before I slated him in anywhere.

Old
06-24-2013, 10:43 AM
Curufinwe

Ristolainen could be called up from the Phantoms when one or two of the starting D get injured.

Old
06-24-2013, 10:45 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
$10 says Homer goes off the board and drafts someone no one projected.
Looking at all the mocks, people have them all over the board so I think the only way you win is if they picked Fucale at 11. If that is the case I hope you do not mind some vomit on the bill.

Old
06-24-2013, 10:47 AM
Prongo
Beer

I still think the only player in this draft that will come close or might even be better than Seth jones is Nurse. All of the other defenders are going to most likely be solid contributors in the NHL, but Nurse has the ability to be a great two way threat. Kid can skate, defend, hit, is nasty, has character. His only downside so far is some proclaim his shot isn't all that great. Well his shot was good enough to get him 12 goals in his second year in the OHL. People are worried about Nurse maybe becoming a Coburn type player, well he matched Coburns goal total in his second year, while Coburn hit that in his 4th full year as an over ager. Next year is absolutely crucial for Nurse, you hope he continues to trend up, and if he does, he will be a major player I feel. Even if he regresses somewhat, he still can make it, but I would be much more concerned about it. I honestly think if the Flyers draft him, he spends next year in juniors and then makes the team in 2014-2015.

I would be happy with any one of the young dman in this years top 40, but Nurse is the one I would gun for. Edmonton I believe is the one team who has the opportunity to steal him away, but if he slips past them, we have a great chance. I would even advocate moving up for him.

Old
06-24-2013, 10:52 AM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
I think that while he may be ready this year, I don't think he'll be on the team. Especially since they added Streit, there is just no room for anyone else.

Timonen-Schenn
Coburn-Streit
Grossmann-Gus/Mez

Even if Mez or Coburn or Grossmann gets moved, I still don't see Risto (or any other defenseman) cracking the lineup. Get rid of one of them and I still don't see it happening.

Timonen-Schenn
Coburn-Streit
Risto-Gus/Mez

or

Timonen-Schenn
Grossmann-Streit
Risto-Gus/Mez

or

Timonen-Schenn
Coburn-Streit
Grossmann-Gus/Risto

Those just all seem unlikely, unless the organization is simply not sold on Gus. As some of you know, I am not sold on Gus and even I would have Risto wait a year before I slated him in anywhere.
I am high on Gus and think he should be in the top six to start the year. I'm not sure that the flyers are as high on him tho. I'm actually kind of surprised that he hasn't been resigned yet. But if they do keep gus and draft ristolainen I could see then pairing him with timonen and trading Mez and one of coburn and grossmann if they get the right deal for them.

Streit-schenn
Timonen-Ristolainen
Gus-coburn/grossmann.

To be honest I could see them starting their draft pick in the NHL this year especially if he is physically mature like zadarov. Not saying I would do it, but wouldn't be surprised if it happened

Old
06-24-2013, 11:01 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
I think Ristolainen is the best all around defender not named Jones. He is the one that is most likely to be a big minutes eating defender that can move the puck well while having above average shutdown abilities.

Old
06-24-2013, 11:14 AM
KJS14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I still think the only player in this draft that will come close or might even be better than Seth jones is Nurse. All of the other defenders are going to most likely be solid contributors in the NHL, but Nurse has the ability to be a great two way threat. Kid can skate, defend, hit, is nasty, has character. His only downside so far is some proclaim his shot isn't all that great. Well his shot was good enough to get him 12 goals in his second year in the OHL. People are worried about Nurse maybe becoming a Coburn type player, well he matched Coburns goal total in his second year, while Coburn hit that in his 4th full year as an over ager. Next year is absolutely crucial for Nurse, you hope he continues to trend up, and if he does, he will be a major player I feel. Even if he regresses somewhat, he still can make it, but I would be much more concerned about it. I honestly think if the Flyers draft him, he spends next year in juniors and then makes the team in 2014-2015.

I would be happy with any one of the young dman in this years top 40, but Nurse is the one I would gun for. Edmonton I believe is the one team who has the opportunity to steal him away, but if he slips past them, we have a great chance. I would even advocate moving up for him.
I don't even want Holmgren to think about taking Nurse. I think he is way overrated in comparisons to other defenders in the draft. He reminds me of an NBA prospect in that he has good size and the potential, but he is not great at anything yet.

Old
06-24-2013, 11:15 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
I am high on Gus and think he should be in the top six to start the year. I'm not sure that the flyers are as high on him tho. I'm actually kind of surprised that he hasn't been resigned yet. But if they do keep gus and draft ristolainen I could see then pairing him with timonen and trading Mez and one of coburn and grossmann if they get the right deal for them.

Streit-schenn
Timonen-Ristolainen
Gus-coburn/grossmann.

To be honest I could see them starting their draft pick in the NHL this year especially if he is physically mature like zadarov. Not saying I would do it, but wouldn't be surprised if it happened
If both are traded I guess it would work, but I am not sure that is the smartest idea.

Old
06-24-2013, 11:25 AM
StoneHands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Ristolainen could be called up from the Phantoms when one or two of the starting D get injured.
That's the good thing about him. They can draft him and play him in the AHL for at least this year. It won't be much of a gap in talent to bridge from where he's playing now but he can transition to the NA style of game without being throw on the ice against the best players in the world.

If he plays well the first half of the season in the AHL and someone gets hurt with the big club they can bring him up for a few weeks to get a taste.

Old
06-24-2013, 11:27 AM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
If both are traded I guess it would work, but I am not sure that is the smartest idea.
It isn't the smartest idea, but Holmgren always seems like he is willing to take a risk if he can upgrade the team

Old
06-24-2013, 11:31 AM
StoneHands

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post

Streit-schenn
Timonen-Ristolainen
Gus-coburn/grossmann.

That's a brutal defense to be honest. Streit can NOT play on the first pairing and as good as Schenn is, he's not good enough yet to cover for Streit. As much as I like Ristolainen and I actually want to take him with the pick if he's available, I think it's a stretch to assume he can step right in and play on the top 4 when he's never even played a game in NA. Which one of those pairings would you feel comfortable throwing out against another team's top line?

Old
06-24-2013, 11:34 AM
Curufinwe

The is a much more solid starting line up:

Timonen-Schenn
Streit-Coburn
Gus-Grossmann

Old
06-24-2013, 11:36 AM
StoneHands

Would Nick Petan be available in the 3rd round?

Old
06-24-2013, 11:37 AM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
The is a much more solid starting line up:

Timonen-Schenn
Streit-Coburn
Gus-Grossmann
No doubt about it. I just don't know how much longer Holmgren can go without blowing up some part of the team again

Closed Thread