HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

General Predators Talk Part III

View Poll Results: Will we see any games for the 12-13 season?
Yes 12 32.43%
Nope 8 21.62%
Partial season 17 45.95%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-23-2013, 10:51 PM
PFL615

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Calm down, you're going to give yourself a coronary. Do you have some inside info as to what he's supposed to do or not? I can't imagine a coach saying, hey, don't show up the big guns, it's not good for team morale. I can't imagine a coach saying, don't play to the fullest of your ability. Is he a good player. Yes. Is he a great player. Yes. Is he an elite player you build a team around, absolutely not.
Do you have inside information on what he was coached to do? What his role in the Ducks scheme is?
Not sure if you are aware but hockey is a team sport. Not a be sure you are elite. Go out there and do whatever you want to get to that elite status player. If not some guy on the hf boards will claim that he is the wizard on who can be a leader on a team and be an "elite" player "to build a team around".

Old
06-23-2013, 10:53 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
Do you have inside information on what he was coached to do? What his role in the Ducks scheme is?
Not sure if you are aware but hockey is a team sport. Not a be sure you are elite. Go out there and do whatever you want to get to that elite status player. If not some guy on the hf boards will claim that he is the wizard on who can be a leader on a team and be an "elite" player "to build a team around".
Answer your own questions then.

1. What is he coached to do?

2. What is his role in the Ducks scheme?

Now answer my question.

1. Why is he an elite player in your mind?

Old
06-23-2013, 10:57 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I wasn't aware anyone claimed they were a wizard. Here I thought we were just giving our opinions.

Old
06-23-2013, 10:59 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I wasn't aware anyone claimed they were a wizard. Here I thought we were just giving our opinions.
I'm certainly not the "Grand Wizard" as one, he's dead and two, check out my avatar.

Old
06-23-2013, 11:08 PM
PFL615

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Answer your own questions then.

1. What is he coached to do?

2. What is his role in the Ducks scheme?

Now answer my question.

1. Why is he an elite player in your mind?
Umm i never proclaimed he was not the elite guy to build a team around. So i don't need to explain anything. As usual you have no basis or facts for your posts. Besides i am not sure if you understand but we are talking about the Preds and i am pretty sure they are building around Weber and Peka. So to be honest your original post is not even an issue to begin with.

Old
06-23-2013, 11:12 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Watch the personal digs please.

Old
06-23-2013, 11:35 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Just because Ryan isn't a franchise forward doesn't mean he wouldn't be a welcomed addition here. He instantly becomes our best forward and makes our offense better. I could see him and Wilson working well together.

Beggars can't be choosers. We can find any reason to pass on most guys out there. But at some point you have to just go for it. We've been waiting for the right piece to fall in our lap for years now. How much longer are you willing to wait? With the high standards that I'm reading here we'll be waiting a very long time.

Old
06-23-2013, 11:42 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

But what do we give up for him? What does Anaheim need that we can give away? They aren't rebuilding. They don't need offense. We can't really part with any substantial roster players that would improve their team without negating the benefit of adding Ryan. I guess we could see how our 2013 1st strikes them, but we would certainly have to add. Even then, we still have to address our #4 defender issue and our top line center issue.

Old
06-23-2013, 11:45 PM
PFL615

A picture on the side of the bridge with Weber,Josi, Peka, Ryan, FF, Wilson, and Barkov.
Would definitely be a huge upgrade.

Old
06-23-2013, 11:48 PM
PFL615

Quote:
But what do we give up for him? What does Anaheim need that we can give away? They aren't rebuilding. They don't need offense. We can't really part with any substantial roster players that would improve their team without negating the benefit of adding Ryan. I guess we could see how our 2013 1st strikes them, but we would certainly have to add. Even then, we still have to address our #4 defender issue and our top line center issue.
That's the million dollar ?

Old
06-23-2013, 11:49 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

But we are here to discuss, so let's discuss.

Old
06-23-2013, 11:56 PM
glenngineer

As far as trading for Ryan, we'd be giving up more than its worth for a player of his caliber.

Last edited by TMI: 06-24-2013 at 12:14 AM. Reason: let's not invite it
Old
06-24-2013, 12:06 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
I have no idea about Anaheim's needs. Point is, I'm not gonna pass on him simply because some fans and media overrate him. Nashville needs a forward upgrade. Ryan fits that description. We can't wait forever for the perfect match of a "young, cheap, hardworking, two-way, franchise center who likes country music" . At some point you take what you can get.

But for the record, I think the #4 is overpayment for him. He only has 2 years left on his deal before he hits UFA. If Anaheim is looking to move him, he won't get as much as the general public thinks.

Old
06-24-2013, 12:10 AM
Infinite Jest

Ryan Ellis, 2014 1st +, probably would be the most I'd be comfortable giving up for Ryan. Whether that gets the job done or not is another story.

Old
06-24-2013, 12:17 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

OK but can we really get him is the question? You say you take what you can get. I'm not so sure we can even get him. From what I can tell right now Anaheim's needs may be to replace Selanna on the top six (now we're talking about Hornqvist being in a package, which I'm OK with). They may need some more depth on the blueline, so maybe toss Blum in a package, but how appealing to other teams is he when he is being tossed out by us, as fans? SK is pretty much KHL bound, and, really, does he have much value at the moment? We have Smith, but, again, his value took a hit last season. Forsberg we don't want to give up on, but he has value. Legwand and Fisher both have NTCs. Beck? Watson? Ekholm? Again, after last season I doubt Anaheim sees themselves in rebuilding mode.

Beyond that their goaltending might need an upgrade, but what they have now will have to falter first. Fasth looked great for them, and we aren't exactly in a spot to deal anything from that particular position anyway.

Old
06-24-2013, 01:26 AM
heusy_79
9 - 20 - 8

Quote:
Ducks fan here, I've always liked Kevin Klein and I think he'd make a fine partner for Fowler, but I know he is well liked in Nashville and signed a great contract so I'm having a tough time gauging his value. So instead of making a proposal, I'll just ask what Nashville would want along with Ryan for Klein+4th overall? I realize it won't be a minor piece.

Old
06-24-2013, 02:07 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

We cannot trade Klein. It would mean we have no second pairing. Right now we have a strong first pair with Weber and Josi. We have a glut of third pair guys. Klein is our only second pair defenseman. If we trade him we need a #3 and #4. Value-wise the deal is fine, in a vacuum, but realistically it just doesn't work.

We would need Sbisa back at least, and I don't think Anaheim bites. Even if they did, we got a dynamic winger plus a second pair defenseman. We're still shy a top line center and a second pair defenseman, but we have less cap room. We're likely better off taking our chances on Drouin or Nich and looking for a D in FA.

Last edited by TMI: 06-24-2013 at 02:13 AM.
Old
06-24-2013, 07:28 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Outside of the #4 pick (which we need), we really don't have anything unless they overvalue Ellis. We can't trade any of the top-3 D as a major need right now is a middle pairing defender. We can't trade any scorer as we were at the bottom of the league in scoring. Any team out there interested would kill any offer we can make.

Old
06-24-2013, 09:04 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by heusy_79 View Post
Ducks fan here, I've always liked Kevin Klein and I think he'd make a fine partner for Fowler, but I know he is well liked in Nashville and signed a great contract so I'm having a tough time gauging his value. So instead of making a proposal, I'll just ask what Nashville would want along with Ryan for Klein+4th overall? I realize it won't be a minor piece.
there really should be almost nothing that someone can give us for the #4 pick.

looking at the big picture, now that we have Forsberg, Josi and a lot of other young players, our "window" has moved from "now"(which is where it was in 11-12 and is why we went hog wild at the trade deadline) to probably two to three years down the road.

that #4 pick will be ours for a minimum of 7 years and will be one of the cornerstone players that we plan on having as our "core" from say 2015 to 2020.

trading that pick for a mature player who will be a UFA in 2 years makes no sense at all.

About the only current NHL player that might be a reasonable swap for our #4 would be Yakupov, but I dont know if I would even do that.

Old
06-24-2013, 09:39 AM
PFL615

I think we are forgetting about two of are prospects who did very well in there respective leagues last year. We have more than just Ellis.
No way we pay the #4 pick for Ryan. If we do draft Jones i am willing to package Klein in a deal. I would not be eager to do it but you have to give to get.
I do not think Ana is going to get what fans expect to get. The guy has been rumored to be out for what 3 years now?
I would think if we draft Jones. Klein + 2014 1st + avg prospect should get it done.

If no Jones. Watson + Blum + 2014 1st + ??

Old
06-24-2013, 10:04 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

I think a good comparable player to Ryan is James Neal. Great player, can put the puck in the net. Great teammate, Busts his ass all the time. But not a franchise forward. All 30 teams would love him on their team. But he is Neal to Perry/Getzlafs Crosby/Malkin

Old
06-24-2013, 11:48 AM
heusy_79
9 - 20 - 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
I think we are forgetting about two of are prospects who did very well in there respective leagues last year. We have more than just Ellis.
No way we pay the #4 pick for Ryan. If we do draft Jones i am willing to package Klein in a deal. I would not be eager to do it but you have to give to get.
I do not think Ana is going to get what fans expect to get. The guy has been rumored to be out for what 3 years now?
I would think if we draft Jones. Klein + 2014 1st + avg prospect should get it done.

If no Jones. Watson + Blum + 2014 1st + ??
If the #4 pick is a no go, I'd probably be willing to do Klein+2014 1st+ Vesey...a lot of Ducks fans might not agree but I've always been a big Klein fan as I said.

Old
06-24-2013, 12:03 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
If the #4 pick is a no go, I'd probably be willing to do Klein+2014 1st+ Vesey...a lot of Ducks fans might not agree but I've always been a big Klein fan as I said.
we lose that trade fairly bad

Old
06-24-2013, 12:08 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
we lose that trade fairly bad
Not necessarily by overall value, but the worth of a 1st and a top-4 D to the Preds is huge based on need.

Old
06-24-2013, 12:10 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
Quote:
I understand you want to get a big haul for Ryan but we really cant trade any of our top 3 on defense without setting ourselves back a couple of years, and by the time we build back up on D, Ryan will be gone.

like i said last summer you'd have porbably been able to get more from us but our needs are different now

Closed Thread