HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs land Bernier, but Flyers reportedly offered Matt Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-24-2013, 01:01 PM
  #26
CSKA1974
Registered User
 
CSKA1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Flyerville
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 1,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
Overall happy we didn't trade a lot for bernier but can anyone tell me how what Toronto paid compared to read? I'm not familiar with fratin.
Also $ 500000 cap relief

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 01:03 PM
  #27
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,311
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Or he could be packed for another 1st
Meh. Is an extra first really better than Bernier? Bernier is already NHL ready and we have seen at the very least that he has the ability to compete in this league. It has yet to be seen whether or not he will be this top-level starter some think he can, but we know that he can at least play in the NHL and hang around. The draft pick, unless it was a pretty high one, would seem to be just as big a gamble, if not a bigger gamble than going with Bernier.

I guess my question is, if you would trade Read for a first, why would you not trade him for Bernier?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 01:04 PM
  #28
Pi
Registered User
 
Pi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,406
vCash: 500
I think the Leafs got Bernier because of their ability to send a back up as well as 500K in cap relief. We have the cap space to give them a bit of relief...and that might be all they need to re-sign Scuderi.

IIRC, Lombardi said he wanted Frattin 2 years ago when he came out of college...so he has had his eyes on him for a while.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 01:07 PM
  #29
StoneHands
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,352
vCash: 2425
Apparently Frattin and a late 2nd is more Valuable than Read. If that's the case, I really hope they dont trade Read this offseason.

StoneHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 01:08 PM
  #30
StoneHands
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,352
vCash: 2425
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStraw View Post
Scrivens was more than just a throw in, he is the capable backup that LA wanted. And that the Flyers didn't have to offer.
Backup goalies like Scrivens are a dime and dozen. Most Toronto fans hated Scrivens.

StoneHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 01:21 PM
  #31
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,311
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneHands View Post
Apparently Frattin and a late 2nd is more Valuable than Read. If that's the case, I really hope they dont trade Read this offseason.
That is according to the Kings though. Every team is different. Someone just posted that DL was interested in Frattin since his NCAA days. It is not unthinkable that someone has a difference of opinion on two players who have played in under 150 games each.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 01:22 PM
  #32
HighOFFHockey
Registered User
 
HighOFFHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 765
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
That is according to the Kings though. Every team is different. Someone just posted that DL was interested in Frattin since his NCAA days. It is not unthinkable that someone has a difference of opinion on two players who have played in under 150 games each.
It's cool. We all know how good Read is. I would rather keep him anyway.

HighOFFHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 01:36 PM
  #33
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 9,308
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Meh. Is an extra first really better than Bernier? Bernier is already NHL ready and we have seen at the very least that he has the ability to compete in this league. It has yet to be seen whether or not he will be this top-level starter some think he can, but we know that he can at least play in the NHL and hang around. The draft pick, unless it was a pretty high one, would seem to be just as big a gamble, if not a bigger gamble than going with Bernier.

I guess my question is, if you would trade Read for a first, why would you not trade him for Bernier?
I would, just not Read plus 2013 2nd. I said package Read for a 1st but I never said what package. I wouldn't want to include the 2013 2nd either unless it's draft day and someone good was still hanging around. Furthermore I'm not convinced Bernier will ever be more then what he is now considering he is 25. I know goalies are different/take a little longer and he's been blocked in LA so I'll just say it's a feeling.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 01:38 PM
  #34
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
Overall happy we didn't trade a lot for bernier but can anyone tell me how what Toronto paid compared to read? I'm not familiar with fratin.
People here in Toronto LOVE Frattin. It's not just that Frattin and Scrivens went to LA, it's the 2nd and also the $500k the leafs are taking back. That cap space may be enough to re-sign Scuderi. They will be up tight against the cap but that money can make or break the signing.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 02:34 PM
  #35
Kevin Danko
...the way she goes
 
Kevin Danko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 4,358
vCash: 420
The fact they offered him makes me think they are just gonna unload him before the season starts, hopefully thats not the case. Really like Matt Read and hope he is a part of the team going forward.

Kevin Danko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 03:20 PM
  #36
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,311
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
I would, just not Read plus 2013 2nd. I said package Read for a 1st but I never said what package. I wouldn't want to include the 2013 2nd either unless it's draft day and someone good was still hanging around. Furthermore I'm not convinced Bernier will ever be more then what he is now considering he is 25. I know goalies are different/take a little longer and he's been blocked in LA so I'll just say it's a feeling.
Fair enough.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 06:20 PM
  #37
leafs1habs0
Burn the Boats
 
leafs1habs0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,209
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneHands View Post
Backup goalies like Scrivens are a dime and dozen. Most Toronto fans hated Scrivens.
Although I agree Scrivens is your run-of-the-mill backup, he certainly was not hated over here. He was a good team player, and even solid at times, but definitely not a starter.

He'll do fine playing 7-10 games behind Quick, for sure. If there is anything I won't miss from "Scrivy" is his handling of the puck - he's just as brutal as Quick, and now they may have the worst stick handling tandem in the league (if not the history of the NHL) next year.

leafs1habs0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 06:26 PM
  #38
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,311
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneHands View Post
Backup goalies like Scrivens are a dime and dozen. Most Toronto fans hated Scrivens.
Scrivens is better than any backup we've had as of late. He's 26 and has been solid in his short NHL career. I'd love to have Scrivens as a backup (if we had a legit starter, that is).

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 07:07 PM
  #39
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindank View Post
The fact they offered him makes me think they are just gonna unload him before the season starts, hopefully thats not the case. Really like Matt Read and hope he is a part of the team going forward.
Matt Read has a few things that most of the others players on the team dont bring. He can play ANYWHERE (well except defense and goalie ) and not look out of place. He looked good when on Giroux's wing and even on Couturiers. He can play the PP, PK, center, RW, LW, anything really and NOT look bad doing it. Read might not be flashy but when he is out there you dont get worries he is gonna suck because honestly, he is pretty consistent out there inregards to not making boneheaded mistakes. He is smart in that sense.

From the beginning when he was signed and I saw him play in the AHL people here were laughing when the 3-4 of us said he would make the team. He just looked and played right in Lavy's system. Guess thats one of the reasons why I think Raffl has a good shot. I didnt see him play like Read but most accounts are he plays very similar (Raffl is faster but not "overall good" like Read). If Raffl made the team I think I might be the only one that guessed it haha.

That being said though, if an offer came by, I'd be up for it if its good enough. If someone is offering the 15th or so I'd probably jump on that because I do believe that there might be atleast ONE young guy (from the likes of McGinn, Akeson, Noebels, Flanagan, Straka, Raffl, etc) that could step in and play well in a #9 roll. Not up to Read's standards but maybe good enough.

Baring some extreme luck and offseason moves, I think the team will make the playoffs, but I dont think they will win it.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 08:12 PM
  #40
Damaged Goods
Registered User
 
Damaged Goods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,027
vCash: 500
I think our offer was better. Too bad.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 02:25 AM
  #41
dats81
Registered User
 
dats81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Carinthia
Country: Austria
Posts: 2,529
vCash: 500
Could be a blessing in disguise. Some people do not realize how much this teams needs versatile two-way forwards like Matt Read to succeed.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 02:28 AM
  #42
achdumeingute
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 2,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
Could be a blessing in disguise. Some people do not realize how much this teams needs versatile two-way forwards like Matt Read to succeed.
To succeed in not winning a stanley cup before he departs as a UFA?

I hope we can re-sign him to be part of something in 3 years.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 03:20 AM
  #43
Phillyfan28
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 217
vCash: 500
The Reimer proposals make me want to shoot myself.

Honestly starting to hate the Leafs based off of the Reimer/Gardiner valuations

Phillyfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:23 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.