HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ryan Miller and Thomas Vanek

Old
06-24-2013, 10:30 AM
Petes2424

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wearegodawful View Post
I suspect whoever strikes out on Bernier will go after Miller. He won't go to Toronto, but Philly and Minnesota might be candidates.

I'm gonna say Minnesota after the Wild brass said that they wouldn't feel good about having Backstrom as their starter. For what pieces, I don't know.
Purely speculative of course. Minnesota is going to have to buy out Heatley to have any real wiggle room this offseason. I dont however think Miller is their best option. Might be his best option but the Wild are going to be better off going after Smith or resigning Backstrom.

What might get everything going here in the next week or even on draft day is Miller being dealt. One team nobody has mentioned is Phoenix. It's a good fit for Miller and there's nobody in his way.

Buffalo would probably look to be able to land a package of Klesla and Korpikoski. With the market as it currently stands though, Klesla and a prospect would probably get it done.

Buffalo loses leverage on him because there's an extra goaltender or two available and not many openings. If Smith goes to Minnesota, Phoenix is the only real opening other than the daily Philly soap opera. Backstrom and Luongo would still be available. So inevitably, Buffalo isnt going to get fair value for Miller in this current market.

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 10:56 AM
goalsniper91

Just the thought of Vanek playing next to Tavares with Miller in net makes me wish a trade would happen.

goalsniper91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 11:36 AM
kfan22

Vanek is coming home to Minnesota after next year. He wants to play here.

kfan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 11:42 AM
Unagi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfan22 View Post
I always thought he was from Austria On a more serious note though, how can he fit under their salary cap?

Unagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 11:55 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Just like everyone from Ontario wants to play for the Maple Leafs.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 11:59 AM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
Purely speculative of course. Minnesota is going to have to buy out Heatley to have any real wiggle room this offseason. I dont however think Miller is their best option. Might be his best option but the Wild are going to be better off going after Smith or resigning Backstrom.

What might get everything going here in the next week or even on draft day is Miller being dealt. One team nobody has mentioned is Phoenix. It's a good fit for Miller and there's nobody in his way. .
On the Buffalo board it has been mentioned and I have mentioned it numerous times. I think as part of the deal for Miller Buffalo excahanges 16th for 12th.

With Minnesota---no----Minnesota has 2 young goalies a yr or 2 away. They are not looking to sign a UFA goalie to a long term deal. Smith would be looking for a 5+ yr contratc at high $$$ and minnesota would be right up against the cap. There is also concerns on Smith given Bryz performance in PHL on how much is it the PHX system vs goalies skill. They prefer to keep Backstrum but only if he signed a 2 yr deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
Buffalo loses leverage on him because there's an extra goaltender or two available and not many openings. If Smith goes to Minnesota, Phoenix is the only real opening other than the daily Philly soap opera. Backstrom and Luongo would still be available. So inevitab)ly, Buffalo isnt going to get fair value for Miller in this current market.
An extra goaltender or two---try about 8 who are available for trade or UFA signs (including Luongo and Bryz if they are bought out.

Yes Buffalo loses some of Millers value because of the multiple options. There are about 6 teams who are likely on the list of teams looking to upgrade their goalies.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 12:01 PM
kfan22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckNoire View Post
I always thought he was from Austria On a more serious note though, how can he fit under their salary cap?
He is from Austria but he played college at Minnesota and has told people he wants to come play here

Old
06-24-2013, 12:16 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
if the Sabres are willing to eat a large chunk of that caphit, then there will be a huge market for Miller.

With the falling cap I really don't see how any team in need of a #1 (Philly, Minnesota) can eat that 6 million hit when they're already tight against the cap.

teams in need of a goalie, or who would like to upgrade their goalies are:

Philadelphia, Phoenix, Minneosta, St Louis, Pittsburgh, Islanders, and Colorado. Columbus could be added to the list if they lose their goalie to the KHL.

Anaheim is a team that could make a deal for Miller where its Miller for Hiller plus some pick flipping or prospects coming Buffalo's way. Both are in the last year of their contract and anaheim knows they likely could resign Miller at a discount.

As for the cap-----

If you look at the cap and break down how teams would structure their team....

You can break down the $64.3M lke this:

$36M for 14 forwards
$25M for 7 Dmen and 2 goalies
$3.4M buffer for call ups or deadline deals.

With the $25M for 9 players....teams would allocate $5-6M for staring goalie and $1M for the backup. $18M left would go to the 7 Dmen.

Miller isnt all that overpaid.

As for a trade. If Buffalo was to trade Vanek and Miller without retaining any of the salary, after signing their UFAs/RFAs (hodgson, Weber, et all) they will be barely above the cap floor or $44M. this hurts hem if they look to move Stafford, Leino, Ehrhoff, Sekera, or other players in that they would need to take salary back to be above the floor.

Buffalo would ratain salary on Vanek and Miller just so they have more flexibility this year on trades.

Old
06-24-2013, 12:21 PM
Djp

Quote:
He is from Austria but he played college at Minnesota and has told people he wants to come play here
Don't see it. He hasnt publically stated it. Yes his wife is from there and he went to Univ of Minnesota. Had he said this publically Darcy would have traded him at the deadline. Why did he sign a 7 yr RFA deal with Edmonton if he had his heart on Minnesota?

He also knows were he to play there it would likely be a discount because Minnesota couldnt affor to pay him at fair market value.

You cant have 4 forwards making $24M combined. This hurts the rest of your forward pool in that you cant afford to sign the other vets. Vanek at market value would put them in that area.

the only way around this is if you are below market elsewhere like your starting goalie is on a 4 yr contract making $3M per which is $3M less than you would have allocated for your starting goalie so you are free to spend it elsewhere.

Old
06-24-2013, 12:27 PM
kfan22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
Don't see it. He hasnt publically stated it. Yes his wife is from there and he went to Univ of Minnesota. Had he said this publically Darcy would have traded him at the deadline. Why did he sign a 7 yr RFA deal with Edmonton if he had his heart on Minnesota?

He also knows were he to play there it would likely be a discount because Minnesota couldnt affor to pay him at fair market value.

You cant have 4 forwards making $24M combined. This hurts the rest of your forward pool in that you cant afford to sign the other vets. Vanek at market value would put them in that area.

the only way around this is if you are below market elsewhere like your starting goalie is on a 4 yr contract making $3M per which is $3M less than you would have allocated for your starting goalie so you are free to spend it elsewhere.
You'll see! I wont mention where I am getting this info from cause it isnt a legit source for HFboards but as long as they can get everything to fit under the cap he will be in Minnesota

Old
06-24-2013, 12:46 PM
BowieSabresFan

Quote:
You'll see! I wont mention where I am getting this info from cause it isnt a legit source for HFboards but as long as they can get everything to fit under the cap he will be in Minnesota
It's a possibility, sure. However, somewhere along the line the Sabres will get something for Vanek. He will not just play one more year for Buffalo, then sign with Minnesota at the end of next season.

All assuming Buffalo does not sign Vanek to an extension.

As for the OP, I do not see why Miller and Vanek need to go as a package. In fact, I would be stunned if they did.

BowieSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote