HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Roberto Luongo to... ANYWHERE!

Closed Thread

Old
06-24-2013, 12:12 PM
Alflives

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
Agreed. The only reason I think a deal with Edmonton is possible is if Mactavish catches Bob Gainey disease and suddenly thinks the contract isnt so bad. Still the only way I see it going down would be straight across for Horcoff.
The Oilers are a goalie away.

Old
06-24-2013, 12:21 PM
colchar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
Too many toes have been stepped on - too late to keep Luongo.
It would be great to see him stay just to watch him and Tortz try to coexist. The laughs would be endless.

Old
06-24-2013, 12:23 PM
TOGuy14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kack zassian View Post
I feel like Philly makes the most sense. They obviously aren't happy with Bryz (will he/won't he be bought out? Going after Bernier).

Philly is a competitive team, with a rich/competitive owner.

Luongo is the best available "puck stopping guy" available.

I agree a Gagner/Lu swap doesn't make sense.

But I've said before I think Lu's contract would actually be pretty solid for the Oilers.
- 5 years of goaltending that (I think its safe to say) would be better than the next 5 years of Dubnyk.
- Luongos contract expires as the kids enter their prime (Hall will be 27)
- Gives you a chance to develop a young goaltender behind Luongo (ala Schneider/Rask/Bernier).
- If you get a 20-22 year old goalie behind Lu, he will be entering his prime the same time as the kids (ala Schneider/Rask/Bernier).
I really don't see Edmonton as making sense for a Lu destination.

Dub and Luongo have nearly identical stats over the past two seasons.

Dub will only slightly improve, while Lu will continue to slightly decline.

No point for Edmonton to risk cap space for a goalie that won't be anywhere near as efficient when they are ready to truly contend in 2-3 years.

Old
06-24-2013, 12:25 PM
Samwise Gagner
We suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
A goalie... A few Defensemen... And an entire bottom 6 forward group.

Lou has grown on me but I'd rather see what Dubnyk looks like with an actual NHL team in front of him before taking the plunge on that contract. He'll surprise people.

Old
06-24-2013, 12:30 PM
veedubn1

Quote:
I think most people considered the Leafs out of the Luongo sweepsteaks. Something tells me Nonis/Gillis aren't going to make many deals together in the future.

What has happened, is another goalie who was going to be traded, was traded to a team that Lu (likely) wasnt going to.

The number of Luongo suitors is the same, but the number of goalies on the market is fewer.
From what I can tell, the number of Luongo suitors is two, the NYI and Philly, and that's ONLY if Bryz gets bought out (they told Briere in advance they were buying him out, but said nothing to Bryz, so it's likely you'll see Bryz in Philly for 1 more year at a minimum).

NYI becomes a reality if RDP goes to Vancouver.

Other than those two teams... I don't see anything else out there that's realistic.

Old
06-24-2013, 12:42 PM
Cloudedthought

Isles also have Thomas on the books if he comes back. So if a trade was to happen with the Isles they would need to sort that out as well. To many issues to make a deal there I think.

Old
06-24-2013, 12:46 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudedthought View Post
Isles also have Thomas on the books if he comes back. So if a trade was to happen with the Isles they would need to sort that out as well. To many issues to make a deal there I think.
Thomas is not on the Isles payroll or cap. The Isles have confirmed that they will not toll is contract and he will be an UFA on July 5th.

06-24-2013, 12:48 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedubn1 View Post
From what I can tell, the number of Luongo suitors is two, the NYI and Philly, and that's ONLY if Bryz gets bought out (they told Briere in advance they were buying him out, but said nothing to Bryz, so it's likely you'll see Bryz in Philly for 1 more year at a minimum).
I don't agree. A Bryz/Luongo swap is very viable, without either guy being bought out. Philly could make it worth VCR's while by eating more contracts (like Ballard) at the time.

That allows VCR to enter the season with a lower payroll and lower cap, and Bryz as a high level backup to the relatively unproven Schneider.

Philly, in turn, finally gets stability in goal.

Works for both sides.

Old
06-24-2013, 12:54 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedubn1 View Post

NYI becomes a reality if RDP goes to Vancouver.

Other than those two teams... I don't see anything else out there that's realistic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
I don't agree. A Bryz/Luongo swap is very viable, without either guy being bought out. Philly could make it worth VCR's while by eating more contracts (like Ballard) at the time.

That allows VCR to enter the season with a lower payroll and lower cap, and Bryz as a high level backup to the relatively unproven Schneider.

Works for both sides.
Its also Holmgren.

But I also think Philly is a team that is constant "Go Big, Win Now" mode.

Old
06-24-2013, 01:43 PM
Jarrett

vCash:
Possible destinations for Lou: (in no particular order)

Edmonton
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Phoenix
NY Islanders
New Jersey
Florida
Carolina (if Ward is dealt)

Old
06-24-2013, 01:46 PM
Jarrett

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
Just buy him out, then you don't have to worry about him anymore
Vancouver won't be buying Luongo out.

Old
06-24-2013, 01:46 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
Vancouver won't be buying Luongo out.

We'll see.

I think the Nucks are running out of options and a buyout is a very real possibility.

Old
06-24-2013, 01:47 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:

Works for both sides.
If we're eating multiple contracts and taking on someone with a contract as horrible as Luongo's then it better be for someone indisputably elite which would never be the case because nobody like that would ever be in such a situation.

We need stability in goal. We need a sure-thing, not another Bryz or Biron to continue the goalie carousal. Don't say Luongo is stable and/or elite. If he were you guys wouldn't be going for Schneider. He's a 34 year old with one of the worst contracts in the league who has iffy playoff stats and is coming off a bad season.

Old
06-24-2013, 01:50 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
We'll see.

I think the Nucks are running out of options and a buyout is a very real possibility.
Kind of off topic, but how credible do you think Daniel Friedman is?
Im not familiar with him, but is he connected with the team, or just your standard beatwriter?

He tweeted the following yesterday.

Quote:
Daniel Friedman ‏@DFriedmanWFAN 18h
Still get the sense that #Isles and #Canucks could strike a Luongo deal by the draft

Old
06-24-2013, 01:53 PM
Alflives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwise Gagner View Post
A goalie... A few Defensemen... And an entire bottom 6 forward group.

Lou has grown on me but I'd rather see what Dubnyk looks like with an actual NHL team in front of him before taking the plunge on that contract. He'll surprise people.
I think you sell your team short. I think there are plenty of GM's who would gladly change core groups with your squad, and then put them in front of a better goalie. I'm surprised you guys weren't in on the Bernier dealings.

Old
06-24-2013, 01:56 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
I think you sell your team short. I think there are plenty of GM's who would gladly change core groups with your squad, and then put them in front of a better goalie. I'm surprised you guys weren't in on the Bernier dealings.
Dubynk sported a .920 last season and has a career average in front of a historically god-awful Oilers team of .913. How much more could you want from him?

Old
06-24-2013, 01:56 PM
Jarrett

vCash:
Luongo will totally be in an Islanders jersey by the end of the summer.

Old
06-24-2013, 01:59 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Kind of off topic, but how credible do you think Daniel Friedman is?
Im not familiar with him, but is he connected with the team, or just your standard beatwriter?

He tweeted the following yesterday.
He's a blogger with no connections inside the Isles. And, he was overtly speculating there.

BD Gadoff, a blogger for the same source, says there have been no contacts between VCR and NY.

If you want real hard data on the Isles, you should go to Newsday first, and then Katie Strang from ESPN (who still has contacts on the Island). I rarely trust other sources, although sometimes the city based papers (like the Post) also break the news.

Here is Staple's tweet the other day:

PeterMc @Pjmcentee 6d @StapeNewsday would you rule Luongo out as a candidate for a position as the isles goaltender?

View details
Arthur Staple
@StapeNewsday @Pjmcentee I would, yes. Unless he's bought out and desperately wants to join the Isles.

Old
06-24-2013, 02:01 PM
crazyforhockey

phi buys out bryz and trades mat read for Luo....

they save 360,000 a year in cap hit and upgrade dramitically in net......and have no headcase in the lockerroom or in front of media

contracts are only two years diffrence......and 6 mil in dollars to be paid out over length of contract

Old
06-24-2013, 02:01 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
He's a blogger with no connections inside the Isles.

If you want real hard data on the Isles, you should go to Newsday first, and then Katie Strang (who still has contacts on the Island).
Thanks for the input. I follow Katie Strang, and Arthur Staple, but I wasn't sure about that Daniel Friedman tweet. Hadn't hear of him, but he showed up in my twitter feed.

Old
06-24-2013, 02:02 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Dubynk sported a .920 last season and has a career average in front of a historically god-awful Oilers team of .913. How much more could you want from him?
People underrate Dubnyk a lot.

Old
06-24-2013, 02:03 PM
crazyforhockey

Quote:
He's a blogger with no connections inside the Isles. And, he was overtly speculating there.

BD Gadoff, a blogger for the same source, says there have been no contacts between VCR and NY.

If you want real hard data on the Isles, you should go to Newsday first, and then Katie Strang from ESPN (who still has contacts on the Island). I rarely trust other sources, although sometimes the city based papers (like the Post) also break the news.

Here is Staple's tweet the other day:

PeterMc @Pjmcentee 6d @StapeNewsday would you rule Luongo out as a candidate for a position as the isles goaltender?

View details
Arthur Staple
@StapeNewsday @Pjmcentee I would, yes. Unless he's bought out and desperately wants to join the Isles.
quite possible but i wonder if NYI look at the depth of their team and adding a quality goalie like Luo...would like their chances of a long run in the playoffs

Old
06-24-2013, 02:06 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyforhockey View Post
quite possible but i wonder if NYI look at the depth of their team and adding a quality goalie like Luo...would like their chances of a long run in the playoffs
The Isles have no interest in Luongo, and multiple sources confirm that at this point.

Old
06-24-2013, 02:09 PM
crazyforhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
People underrate Dubnyk a lot.
Dubynek and Reimer are in the same spot...solid goalies who are young and can improve their game still........ but when playoffs come aroud those teams are still looking at upgrading their goaltending if they want to go deep

do they wait another year or three before they feel confident with them????
or trade at the tradedeadline????

finally are there goals on a regular basis that they shuld have stopped ..and onereason their save % is up there,,,because thereteam gives up a lot of shots...

good example is the Bos Chi series.......both goalies playing well (with very very good teams in front of them)......but Crawford let in a few stinkers(esp the highscoring OT game)...and his team is lucky to be up 3-2 instead of down 3-2...or lamenting a lost season already

Old
06-24-2013, 02:12 PM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

Quote:
That's why they'll sign Smith.

The Oilers will be responsible for whatever contract they give him, instead of taking on someone else's mistake.

Closed Thread