HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Michael Ryder scoop?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-17-2006, 10:12 AM
  #51
Dynasty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Ryder's in a contract year.

He was last year, too. So what's your point??

Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 10:18 AM
  #52
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,350
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The n00b King View Post
i think part of the credit has to go to Claude Julien for persevering with Ryder. He was the one who saw what Ryder was capable of. We never even heard of the guy before Julien came around...

Or maybe it was Therrien? Im not sure, either way, one of the two pushed Ryder, so kudos to them.
Agreed.

__________________
Yours in Christ,

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 10:22 AM
  #53
Dynasty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The n00b King View Post
i think part of the credit has to go to Claude Julien for persevering with Ryder. He was the one who saw what Ryder was capable of. We never even heard of the guy before Julien came around...

Or maybe it was Therrien? Im not sure, either way, one of the two pushed Ryder, so kudos to them.

I can assure you that it wasn't Therrien. I'm not allowed to say what I think of Therrien here.

Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 10:40 AM
  #54
Megaforce
Registered User
 
Megaforce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: St. Raymond NDG/Mtl
Country: Azerbaijan
Posts: 1,364
vCash: 500
In 200 years children will walk by Michael Ryder's bronzed likeness in Pigeon Park at Atwater and gaze in awe at this hero of the hockey stick whose superhuman feats of 2006-07 defied human limitations.

In other words, yeah he's played alright this year.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 11:11 AM
  #55
BadHabit
Registered User
 
BadHabit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sXe View Post
If you would have followed his 1st season in the NHL and if you knew about his injury last year than yes, it was a ridiculous statement to make.
If you weren't aware of these two things than you were just ignorant.

If you were informed of theses things and ignored them than you were setting yourself up to be ridiculed.

So to everyone who "forgot" Ryder's 1st year and claimed he sucked while he gave everything he had to help this team who badly needed his top scorer, than you can eat more than just crow.
DEAD ON.

All these people saying "I'm not eating crow", HA! Everyone that dogged on him wanted him to be traded and said that he would never get any better. I can dig up the posts from last year if they need to be "refreshed" in what was said.

I think it looks good on these so called hockey experts. It's obvious that the people that did not see the talent and promise in Ryder's game should stick to the Xbox version of hockey and stay out of the real deal.

I always knew he would be a good player and that he always gave an effort. To see him playing to his potential this year makes me very happy - as long as he stays healthy he will continue to impress.

BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 11:15 AM
  #56
BadHabit
Registered User
 
BadHabit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Thank you. All last year I had to defend Ryder...All summer I defended him after it was known he was injured the entire year (we also knew about it before, several posters from Ryder's hometown had mentioned he was injured as early as December). I want to know where the posters like SOLR and others are now?




It's not forsight if that's how Ryder had always played in the past. People take the anomaly and make it the norm...He had one season slightly worse than his others and suddenly he never knew how to skate or hustle before now.





I've said several times that Ryder is one of the hardest working players on the team and been rediculed for it. The fact is that Ryder has had to work his *** off at every level to make it to the NHL, and that type of hard work and work ethic doesn't just go away. Guys drafted as low as him are often written off before they even do anything, and he made it on sheer work and desire alone.

The best thing for Ryder now is that Ribeiro, "there wouldn't be a problem with this team if only Ryder would score on half the chances I set up for him", is gone. I wonder how long before Morrow or Modano take a page out of Saku's book and slap the taste out of little Micky Ribs' mouth.
I agree 100%. Just look at how much effort he put in on the off season to get better compared to what Ribeiro did. That alone should give him immunity to the boo birds on this forum.

BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 11:19 AM
  #57
Evil Ted
Registered User
 
Evil Ted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
DEAD ON.

All these people saying "I'm not eating crow", HA! Everyone that dogged on him wanted him to be traded and said that he would never get any better. I can dig up the posts from last year if they need to be "refreshed" in what was said.

I think it looks good on these so called hockey experts. It's obvious that the people that did not see the talent and promise in Ryder's game should stick to the Xbox version of hockey and stay out of the real deal.

I always knew he would be a good player and that he always gave an effort. To see him playing to his potential this year makes me very happy - as long as he stays healthy he will continue to impress.

The season is 4 games old, he has about 78 games left, thats lots of time for Ryder to ruin his season. The fact of the matter is Ryder is working hard in both ends of the ice right now because he knows if he doesnt he is gone, the coaching staff made an example of Ribero shipping him off because of that very reason. The season is a long one lets hope that Ryder keeps up his good work.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 02:01 PM
  #58
catmanhabsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 116
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=Evil Ted;6786943]The season is 4 games old, he has about 78 games left, thats lots of time for Ryder to ruin his season. The fact of the matter is Ryder is working hard in both ends of the ice right now because he knows if he doesnt he is gone, the coaching staff made an example of Ribero shipping him off because of that very reason.

mo hes working harder because he isnt playing with slipped disks in his back, or pinched neck nerves thats why. he was great his rookie year, and was injured quite badly all of last year. he still scored 30 goals, please remember that. no one else on this team put the puck in the net more often than him. and alot of people in here were ragging on him all last year and all summer. i hope its because they thought he was giving a poor effort and not because he was injured....or else people are not stupid but ignorant. hes playing like he did 2 years ago, i see no reason why he wont keep playing at this level. he may go cold for a spell, like eveyone does, but he will never be invisible or lazy, never.

catmanhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 05:13 PM
  #59
habgab
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 183
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ted View Post
The season is 4 games old, he has about 78 games left, thats lots of time for Ryder to ruin his season. The fact of the matter is Ryder is working hard in both ends of the ice right now because he knows if he doesnt he is gone, the coaching staff made an example of Ribero shipping him off because of that very reason. The season is a long one lets hope that Ryder keeps up his good work.
I doubt that is why Ryder is playing like he is right now. As has been pointed out again and again, Ryder's road to the NHL was not an easy one and he has had to work like a dog, and surpass all expectations, to get there. Getting traded from Montreal is hardly a motivator for Ryder. And, as for comparing him to Ribeiro, well there is just no comparison and it is really unfair to do so.

This is just more of the same nonsense we have been listening to all along - he is a coaster, he doesn't work hard blah, blah, blah. That is just not true - he has been anything but. Ryder wants to play hockey and wants to play hockey to the best of his ability. Apparently he perservered last season when he should have been on the disabled list for all but one game. Ribeiro would take a day off if he hitched his pantyhose.

Stop questioning Ryder's motives. Look at what brought him to this level of hockey, and you should immediate recognize that he ain't no slacker and has never been.

habgab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 05:18 PM
  #60
BigTimer*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ted View Post
The season is 4 games old, he has about 78 games left, thats lots of time for Ryder to ruin his season. The fact of the matter is Ryder is working hard in both ends of the ice right now because he knows if he doesnt he is gone, the coaching staff made an example of Ribero shipping him off because of that very reason. The season is a long one lets hope that Ryder keeps up his good work.
Please don't insult Ryder by putting him in the same sentence as Ribeiro.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 03:00 PM
  #61
SOLR
Registered User
 
SOLR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto / North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,696
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Thank you. All last year I had to defend Ryder...All summer I defended him after it was known he was injured the entire year (we also knew about it before, several posters from Ryder's hometown had mentioned he was injured as early as December). I want to know where the posters like SOLR and others are now?
Hello im still here. Yes Ryder is a much better player this year.(Faster) So he was injured and had a bad season, ok fair enough. But you will have to agree on something, he is not that much faster only because he is healthy. He realized he was too heavy and fixed the problem. So its a combination of health and big physical ajustments and not just health alone. Ryder was slower in his first year than he is this year. He gains a lot of credit for doing this change. /bravo

To conclude:

Hes still not a top tier dangler.
Hes still far from being a decent playmaker.
I like Ryder if he scores the goals, let the others do their things(playmaking) AND is responsible defensively.
I dislike Ryder when he tries to dangle, fail and give the puck away for nothing, take/give bad 3rd period penalties and turnovers(this doesnt seems like its fixed if you saw the first game of the year).

I like a Ryder that knows and plays within his boundaries. In a tight set of boundaries hes a very good player. He can't pretend to have Higgins flexibility.

I need to watch some more games, ive been busy this week a lot with other stuff so I missed the last 2 games. Ive been pleased with what I saw in general thus far. Feel free to comment.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 03:39 PM
  #62
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 19,340
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
Please don't insult Ryder by putting him in the same sentence as Ribeiro.
Whups, so like do you owe yourself or Ryder an apology now?

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 05:04 PM
  #63
KaptainKourage*
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: St-Georges de Beauce
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,151
vCash: 500
I dont saw Michael Ryder this year. I dont know where is he. But look at this number 73, he is FLYING !! Anyone know his name ?

KaptainKourage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 07:20 PM
  #64
habgab
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 183
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
Hello im still here. Yes Ryder is a much better player this year.(Faster) So he was injured and had a bad season, ok fair enough. But you will have to agree on something, he is not that much faster only because he is healthy. He realized he was too heavy and fixed the problem. So its a combination of health and big physical ajustments and not just health alone. Ryder was slower in his first year than he is this year. He gains a lot of credit for doing this change. /bravo

To conclude:

Hes still not a top tier dangler.
Hes still far from being a decent playmaker.
I like Ryder if he scores the goals, let the others do their things(playmaking) AND is responsible defensively.
I dislike Ryder when he tries to dangle, fail and give the puck away for nothing, take/give bad 3rd period penalties and turnovers(this doesnt seems like its fixed if you saw the first game of the year).

I like a Ryder that knows and plays within his boundaries. In a tight set of boundaries hes a very good player. He can't pretend to have Higgins flexibility.

I need to watch some more games, ive been busy this week a lot with other stuff so I missed the last 2 games. Ive been pleased with what I saw in general thus far. Feel free to comment.
You are right that you need to see some more games. Ryder has been one of the better playmakers out there this year. He has also been VERY responsible defensively (1 giveaway, 4 takeaways versus Koivu's 1 takeaway, 4 giveaways), is hitting like a madman (third on the team) etc. When did Ryder EVER take bad penalties - it is not like he is a highly penalized player or anything. As for playing within his boundaries, I think when you watch some more games, you will realize that the revitalized Ryder has few boundaries. He has been consistently one of the better players on the ice this year. The only thing that bothers me is that is shot numbers are way down - he is so busy hitting people and freeing up Higgins and Koivu and creating speed and offense, he shoots less. His ice time is also limited, as he does not have penalty kill time, and if you take that into consideration, is he the best offensive player out there, with a new defensive edge...

habgab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 11:59 PM
  #65
SOLR
Registered User
 
SOLR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto / North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,696
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habgab View Post
You are right that you need to see some more games. Ryder has been one of the better playmakers out there this year.
1) Why dont you get off your fanboi attitude and start discussing? Ryder doesnt need to be perfect to be good.

2) I saw 4 games of the 6, and no, he isnt, imo. Playmakers means creating offensive situation for others so they can score. Ryder doesnt do that, unless its an obvious 2 v 1. I also saw the other games once. Normally I watch each games at least 3 times, this year I havent had the chance to do that yet for all games, Im starting saturday. For me to say "I saw" a game it means I have multiple views of the same game.


Last edited by SOLR: 10-20-2006 at 12:10 AM.
SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 05:09 AM
  #66
habgab
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 183
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
1) Why dont you get off your fanboi attitude and start discussing? Ryder doesnt need to be perfect to be good.

2) I saw 4 games of the 6, and no, he isnt, imo. Playmakers means creating offensive situation for others so they can score. Ryder doesnt do that, unless its an obvious 2 v 1. I also saw the other games once. Normally I watch each games at least 3 times, this year I havent had the chance to do that yet for all games, Im starting saturday. For me to say "I saw" a game it means I have multiple views of the same game.
Yes, I am a fan of Ryder's. Fanboi attitude?? I have been watching hockey for 40 odd years and, given my age, I am not sure what fanboi is, but I think I know what playmaking is and he is doing it. He has created, imo, numerous changes for Higgins, for example - it may not be carrying the puck from end to end and dipsy doodling,and he will never be Kovalev, but he is working the puck and the boards, getting himself clear,making good passes and using his speed to create offensive opportunities for his linemates. I am not saying Ryder is perfect - in fact, last year I feared that Ryder was on the fast track back to the crab plant in Bonavista. This year, Ryder is a different player - he may not be a superstar, but on this team, he is a leader offensively and, to this point in this year, defensively too. I have not had the advantage of watching games multiple times, but I do see the games and review the stats afterwards, and I am impressed.

As for your comment that I should be discussing, I thought that is what I was doing, particularly on this board where there are endless generalizations unsupported by facts. Anyway, I am entitled to my opinion, as you are yours, and I think at the end of the year, Ryder's overall stats will support my contentions.

habgab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 08:16 AM
  #67
SOLR
Registered User
 
SOLR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto / North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,696
vCash: 500
I was just a tad irritated by the "go see some more games" as you presumed what I meant by having less time. My bad, big day yesterday, I was probably a bit on the nerves.

I said "start discussing" and "fanboi" because in your post he was painted as a perfect player, obviously we have no Crosby or Ovechkin on this team.

Let me precise my thoughts on his playmaking abilities. I would place them at avg for an NHLer, so basically below avg of others first liner in the NHL, but avg compared to the group of player in the NHL. "Hes still not a decent playmaker"(I.e a bit over-avg)

About boundaries, imo he would be more successful applying the old boundaries with better abilities than start thinking he can redefine his boundaries because hes faster.

D Awareness: Hes been better than last year in all the games I have seen. I hope he can keep it up.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 08:38 AM
  #68
NLfan56
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 22
vCash: 500
to habgab
fyi...Ryder never ever worked at the crab plany in Bonavista!!

NLfan56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 09:26 AM
  #69
znk
Registered User
 
znk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,102
vCash: 500
Here's a scoop. I had a dream last night...Ryder scored 2 of 3 goals in a very short period and we came back from a 0-2 deficit against the leafs I think.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 10:14 AM
  #70
habgab
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 183
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLfan56 View Post
to habgab
fyi...Ryder never ever worked at the crab plany in Bonavista!!

sorry, it was a joke. I am a Newfoundlander too and meant nothing by it....not that he mightn't be an outstanding crab plant worker, but let's hope he can stay healthy, invests wisely and never has to face that one type of Newfoundland reality. The crab plant workers I once knew from Bonavista were every bit as hard working as Ryder is, and if nothing else, he seems to have that work ethic and pride in his abilities that hopefully will continue to take him far.

habgab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 10:23 AM
  #71
habgab
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 183
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
I was just a tad irritated by the "go see some more games" as you presumed what I meant by having less time. My bad, big day yesterday, I was probably a bit on the nerves.

I said "start discussing" and "fanboi" because in your post he was painted as a perfect player, obviously we have no Crosby or Ovechkin on this team.

Let me precise my thoughts on his playmaking abilities. I would place them at avg for an NHLer, so basically below avg of others first liner in the NHL, but avg compared to the group of player in the NHL. "Hes still not a decent playmaker"(I.e a bit over-avg)

About boundaries, imo he would be more successful applying the old boundaries with better abilities than start thinking he can redefine his boundaries because hes faster.

D Awareness: Hes been better than last year in all the games I have seen. I hope he can keep it up.
Thanks for the reply. I am a bit testy when it comes to Ryder as he takes or has taken far more criticism than he deserves, in my opinion. I agree - he is below average on his playmaking abilities, yet, considering his background (playing 12 games a year in minor hockey apparently), he is quite decent. Given the talent on the Habs the last few years (and I will probably be banished for this), he is one of the best producers and now that he has developed new angles to his game, he can be used for more than standing in front of the net waiting to shoot the puck in. If the Habs had a few superstars, Ryder might be on the third line. In Montreal, I still contend that he is a first line player....however, that Johnson guy keeps impressing me too, and he is a right winger.....I agree about the old boundaries - he is less productive point wise this year because he is trying to do new things, and although I believe he is doing those new things well, his primary asset should contine to be taking shots and putting the puck in the net.

habgab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 11:05 AM
  #72
SOLR
Registered User
 
SOLR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto / North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,696
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habgab View Post
Thanks for the reply. I am a bit testy when it comes to Ryder as he takes or has taken far more criticism than he deserves, in my opinion. I agree - he is below average on his playmaking abilities, yet, considering his background (playing 12 games a year in minor hockey apparently), he is quite decent. Given the talent on the Habs the last few years (and I will probably be banished for this), he is one of the best producers and now that he has developed new angles to his game, he can be used for more than standing in front of the net waiting to shoot the puck in. If the Habs had a few superstars, Ryder might be on the third line. In Montreal, I still contend that he is a first line player....however, that Johnson guy keeps impressing me too, and he is a right winger.....I agree about the old boundaries - he is less productive point wise this year because he is trying to do new things, and although I believe he is doing those new things well, his primary asset should contine to be taking shots and putting the puck in the net.
Exactly!

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 11:17 AM
  #73
BigTimer*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
1) Why dont you get off your fanboi attitude and start discussing? Ryder doesnt need to be perfect to be good.

2) I saw 4 games of the 6, and no, he isnt, imo. Playmakers means creating offensive situation for others so they can score. Ryder doesnt do that, unless its an obvious 2 v 1. I also saw the other games once. Normally I watch each games at least 3 times, this year I havent had the chance to do that yet for all games, Im starting saturday. For me to say "I saw" a game it means I have multiple views of the same game.
If he's a fanboy atleast it's of a first line NHL player and not some top ten pick who puts up third line numbers in the AHL.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 12:40 PM
  #74
SOLR
Registered User
 
SOLR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto / North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,696
vCash: 500
Did you actually watch the games Bigtimer?

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 05:37 PM
  #75
madbox
Registered User
 
madbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,374
vCash: 500
Anyone get the new Canadiens magazine? Ryder was featured in it, and that herniated disc was a serious pain for him all of last season, definitely more than I had realized. His shoulder was numb at times, no feeling in his left arm sometimes, swollen neck after games... And he still put up 30 goals.

Now he's lost weight and skating better than ever. My scoop is, give this guy a longer contract already.

madbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:51 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.