HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Roberto Luongo to... ANYWHERE!

Closed Thread

Old
06-24-2013, 03:15 PM
tempest2i
Feral

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kack zassian View Post
I agree a Gagner/Lu swap doesn't make sense.

But I've said before I think Lu's contract would actually be pretty solid for the Oilers.
- 5 years of goaltending that (I think its safe to say) would be better than the next 5 years of Dubnyk.
- Luongos contract expires as the kids enter their prime (Hall will be 27)
- Gives you a chance to develop a young goaltender behind Luongo (ala Schneider/Rask/Bernier).
- If you get a 20-22 year old goalie behind Lu, he will be entering his prime the same time as the kids (ala Schneider/Rask/Bernier).
So what you're saying is it's a good idea to have a goalie nearing age 40 taking up 5M+ of cap when the Oilers forwards are entering their prime?

And the if the Oilers take on Luongo's contract, they might be lucky enough to end up with a backup goalie that's better than Luongo anyways, leaving the Oilers where the Canucks are right now?

Ya, I'll pass.

Old
06-24-2013, 03:16 PM
crazyforhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
The Isles have no interest in Luongo, and multiple sources confirm that at this point.
thanks

so who is their goaltending for upcoming season... Dipeitro?....or do they hope to throw big money at Thomas or .......if Smith makes it to FA????

bottom line they do need goaltending and if I'm NYI I see a team whosa high quality goaliefrom a long run(well maybe another dman too)

Old
06-24-2013, 03:18 PM
crazyforhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
That's why they'll sign Smith.

The Oilers will be responsible for whatever contract they give him, instead of taking on someone else's mistake.
granted but expect Smith to sign for 6.5 mil easily with a few teams competing for his services

andf they may be happy with that cap hit and the length of contract(they have control over that).......still eats into cap

Old
06-24-2013, 03:20 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyforhockey View Post
thanks

so who is their goaltending for upcoming season... Dipeitro?....or do they hope to throw big money at Thomas or .......if Smith makes it to FA????

bottom line they do need goaltending and if I'm NYI I see a team whosa high quality goaliefrom a long run(well maybe another dman too)

Isles have already said they won't bring Thomas back.

From what Newsday is saying, they already agreed in principal with Nabokov and are going to camp with him, Poulin, and Nilsson.

So, I don't think the Isles will make any moves in net.

I think that is a mistake, but then I'm not the GM.

06-24-2013, 03:24 PM
crazyforhockey

Quote:

From what Newsday is saying, they already agreed in principal with Nabokov and are going to camp with him, Poulin, and Nilsson.

tks for the update.... ido agree its a mistake....an upgrade in net whether a Luongo or a smith ....NYi beat Pitts and are off to 2nd round match vs Bos

and i would like their chances this coming year for a good playoff run

Old
06-24-2013, 03:25 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
So what you're saying is it's a good idea to have a goalie nearing age 40 taking up 5M+ of cap when the Oilers forwards are entering their prime?

And the if the Oilers take on Luongo's contract, they might be lucky enough to end up with a backup goalie that's better than Luongo anyways, leaving the Oilers where the Canucks are right now?

Ya, I'll pass.
Probably the best opportunity to address the Oilers goaltending needs for the next 5 years.

I am saying, it would be a good way to shelter/mentor a young goalie for the #1 role (much like Schneider/Rask/Bernier were).

Its fine if you disagree, I just think the next 5 years of Luongo would be a good way for the Oilers to get solid goaltending both now, and (hopefully) in the future.

Old
06-24-2013, 03:26 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Probably the best opportunity to address the Oilers goaltending needs for the next 5 years.

I am saying, it would be a good way to shelter/mentor a young goalie for the #1 role (much like Schneider/Rask/Bernier were).

Its fine if you disagree, I just think the next 5 years of Luongo would be a good way for the Oilers to get solid goaltending both now, and (hopefully) in the future.

KZ, I'm getting sick and tired of you being so nice and reasonable all the time.

That crap gets real old quick. If you don't learn to engage in some homerism and start flaming people, I'm going to PM the mods and try to get you thrown out of here.

Old
06-24-2013, 03:30 PM
tempest2i
Feral

Quote:

There are other options available to the Oil that don't require them bailing the Canucks out of a big mistake.

I'd prefer the Oilers pursue those other options.

Old
06-24-2013, 03:50 PM
NYVanfan

Quote:

what would you offer for Schneider?

Old
06-24-2013, 03:56 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
There are other options available to the Oil that don't require them bailing the Canucks out of a big mistake.

I'd prefer the Oilers pursue those other options.
I think its extreme to say "bail the Canucks out".
Wouldn't acquiring Luongo bail the Oilers out of their average goaltending ?

But if you think there are better options you can realistically target, thats also another route your team could explore.

Old
06-24-2013, 03:57 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
KZ, I'm getting sick and tired of you being so nice and reasonable all the time.

That crap gets real old quick. If you don't learn to engage in some homerism and start flaming people, I'm going to PM the mods and try to get you thrown out of here.
Okalie Dokalie!

Old
06-24-2013, 04:01 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlo Stanfield View Post
Said it before, I'll say it again - who in their right mind would walk away from the $30 million or so that Lu is owed still? The last thing Lu owes to Vancouver (after being treated like **** the past 2-3 years) is to help them by forfeiting his contract.
Well Luongo said himself that he would scrap that I'd he could. I'll take his word over an Internet blogger.

Luongo isn't necessarily helping the Canucks out as much as he is helping himself out. Scrapping his contract makes him a UFA and allows him to go wherever he wants. He's made millions in his career, and it appears he only really wants to go to a select few destinations. If the Canucks tell him a buyout isn't an option, what other choice does he have?

06-24-2013, 04:04 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYVanfan View Post
what would you offer for Schneider?
Nothing.

Schneider is an UFA in two years. So, he'll be hitting the market just as Isles are moving into their new building. That could be a disaster for the franchise.

But, if you ask me what his value is, I see no reason he should bring a whole lot more in return than Bernier. He is only a bit more proven, but neither has spent a full 80 game season as a number 1 and neither has labored behind a weak defense (like the Isles).

Probably, I'd offer the equivalent of Bernier's deal. A second tier prospect (like Anders Lee), 2nd rounder, and Poulin.

Old
06-24-2013, 04:04 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
The Isles have no interest in Luongo, and multiple sources confirm that at this point.
Multiple sources have stated they don't, just as multiple sources have stated they do. Guess we'll see what happens.

Old
06-24-2013, 04:11 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
Multiple sources have stated they don't, just as multiple sources have stated they do.
Link? I'm not talking about speculative comments, or guys saying what they think COULD happen. I'm talking about ONE single hard source that says there have been talks between the team.

No source has stated the Isles are interested. McKenzie said he thought they could be interested under the right circumstances. In his podcast the very next morning, he admitted that there were no ongoing discussions and he was speculating about what could happen under different circumstances

But, let's see your sources. Go ahead, give me a few links of actual sources talking discussions between teams. I'm not talking about blogposts, columnists saying what they think MIGHT happen. I'm talking about a legitimate source saying something is really there.

Lots of wishful thinking on your part which, I think, is a sign of how bad the situation with regard to Luongo has become. You all know a buyout is coming, and that is why you keep manufacturing this stuff.

Old
06-24-2013, 04:13 PM
NitHeel
Mucker/Grinder

Quote:
I don't agree. A Bryz/Luongo swap is very viable, without either guy being bought out. Philly could make it worth VCR's while by eating more contracts (like Ballard) at the time.

That allows VCR to enter the season with a lower payroll and lower cap, and Bryz as a high level backup to the relatively unproven Schneider.

Philly, in turn, finally gets stability in goal.

Works for both sides.
Accept for the side that has to worry about the salary cap.

Contrary to popular belief, a Bryz amnesty is happening largely because of contract, not poor play. A more affordable Bryz would be an acceptable option. Luongo is certainly an upgrade, but there's no escaping that contract. The Flyers would have no interest, barring temporary insanity - which can't be completely dismissed with Snider at the helm. Call it a 0.1% chance.

Old
06-24-2013, 04:15 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitHeel View Post
Accept for the side that has to worry about the salary cap.

Contrary to popular belief, a Bryz amnesty is happening largely because of contract, not poor play. A more affordable Bryz would be an acceptable option. Luongo is certainly an upgrade, but there's no escaping that contract. The Flyers would have no interest, barring temporary insanity - which can't be completely dismissed with Snider at the helm. Call it a 0.1% chance.
I disagree. If Bryz was playing to his capacity, we wouldn't even be having this discussion. I think Philly would swap one cap hit for the other if they could. And, they might sweeten the pot with other buyouts.

But, to be clear, this is 100% pure unmitigated speculation on my part. I've never seen a single informed source hint at anything like this.

Old
06-24-2013, 04:16 PM
Broad Street Elite

The worst part about this whole Luongo situation is that the most likely scenario is that Vancouver buys out Luongo after next season. That means we have almost a year left of these threads where teams offer peanuts and the Vancouver fans demand gold bullion.

Old
06-24-2013, 04:17 PM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
The worst part about this whole Luongo situation is that the most likely scenario is that Vancouver buys out Luongo after next season. That means we have almost a year left of these threads where teams offer peanuts and the Vancouver fans demand gold bullion.
Not sure if serious. There's maybe a 0.1% chance Vancouver buys out Luongo, but there's no way it happens next season. Luongo(or possibly Schneider) will certainly be gone by the start of next season.

Old
06-24-2013, 04:21 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Link? I'm not talking about speculative comments, or guys saying what they think COULD happen. I'm talking about ONE single hard source that says there have been talks between the team.

No source has stated the Isles are interested. McKenzie said he thought they could be interested under the right circumstances. In his podcast the very next morning, he admitted that there were no ongoing discussions and he was speculating about what could happen under different circumstances

But, let's see your sources. Go ahead, give me a few links of actual sources talking discussions between teams. I'm not talking about blogposts, columnists saying what they think MIGHT happen. I'm talking about a legitimate source saying something is really there.

Lots of wishful thinking on your part which, I think, is a sign of how bad the situation with regard to Luongo has become. You all know a buyout is coming, and that is why you keep manufacturing this stuff.
Your sources are no different, and any definite claims by a blogger are no different than sources stating that there might be or could be interest.

One internet writer stating there might be difference is wishful thinking by Canuck fans, but one stating there is no interest is somehow 100% credible, and should be taken as some sort of absolute gospel?

There is no wishful thinking on our part as a buyout does not affect Canucks fans in any way, shape or form. There is just as much wishful thinking by fanbases who do not like his contract who repeatedly and ominously state he will be bought out.

We'll see what happens, but it's silly to state anything with absolute certainty. All of us are in the dark at the moment as to Luongo's future.

Old
06-24-2013, 04:22 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Not sure if serious. There's maybe a 0.1% chance Vancouver buys out Luongo, but there's no way it happens next season. Luongo(or possibly Schneider) will certainly be gone by the start of next season.
I guess we'll see. I just don't see where Vancouver gets someone... anyone to take on that contract with the new retirement effects in the CBA. Finding someone to take the contract and pay more than a minor return for it is even more far-fetched. I just don't see any viable dance partners with the cap space, long term inclination to pay that contract and a willingness to turn over assets to do it. If they existed, I sense there would already have been a deal done.

I bookmarked this thread, so we can all revisit it when something goes down. Given the opposing stances of Vancouver and every other team's fanbases, someone gonna be eating crow.

Old
06-24-2013, 04:25 PM
tempest2i
Feral

Quote:
I think its extreme to say "bail the Canucks out".
Wouldn't acquiring Luongo bail the Oilers out of their average goaltending ?

But if you think there are better options you can realistically target, thats also another route your team could explore.
Feel free to swap in "take a bad contract off the hands of the Canucks" instead

The average goaltending the Oilers have had over the past few years has not been helped by poor play from an older, formerly very good goalie.

The way I look at it, successful teams end up with all kinds of goaltending; rookies (Cam Ward), guys 35+ (Brodeur, Thomas, Osgood), european free agents (Niemi), established vets (Luongo), young formally unproven guys (Quick, Rask), whatever you call Philly's goaltending from 2010, etc.

There's no magic answer in net for the Oilers. Bringing Luongo on board could have wonderful results. He's a good goalie, with a good resume. With that said, I feel like the team has more pressing needs than in the blue paint. And if the Oilers go decide to shake up their goalies, I'd rather not make a trade with the Canucks.

Old
06-24-2013, 04:28 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Your sources are no different, and any definite claims by a blogger are no different than sources stating that there might be or could be interest.
Nope. My sources are actually pretty good. I have the Isles beat reporter stating unequivocally that the Isles are not having conversations with Nucks.

There have been other reasonable sources too. A few weeks back, there was a column in the VCR Sun about the value of buyouts and the author was clear that the Isles were not interested.

I do trust all that a lot more than chatter on fan enthusiast sites, even with a fanbase as informed as the Nucks have.

Quote:
One internet writer stating there might be difference is wishful thinking by Canuck fans, but one stating there is no interest is somehow 100% credible, and should be taken as some sort of absolute gospel?.
McKenzie stated the next day that he was talking about what he believed COULD happen one day down the road and that there was nothing ongoing at the present time.

The podcast is still up on TSN's site if you would care to have a listen.

And, you still haven't told me what all these "sources" you have are, now that McKenzie is apparently not himself saying anything is happening.

Quote:
There is no wishful thinking on our part as a buyout does not affect Canucks fans in any way, shape or form. There is just as much wishful thinking by fanbases who do not like his contract who repeatedly and ominously state he will be bought out.
I think you still hope that you're going to get nice return for Luongo. In all likelihood, he is going to get bought out or traded in a swap of bad contracts, and you're going to get jack in return. I believe that is why you are clinging to this stuff, with all due respect.

Quote:
We'll see what happens, but it's silly to state anything with absolute certainty. All of us are in the dark at the moment as to Luongo's future.
I will state unequivocally that he will not be an Islander. I will also state unequivocally that there is zero substance to any of that stuff, and it also basically manufactured by Nuck fans and the media.

Feel free to bump this and throw it in my face if I am wrong. I often am....

Last edited by Darth Milbury: 06-24-2013 at 04:35 PM.
Old
06-24-2013, 04:29 PM
crowi
Registered Plug

Quote:

One internet writer stating there might be difference is wishful thinking by Canuck fans, but one stating there is no interest is somehow 100% credible, and should be taken as some sort of absolute gospel?

Didn't NYI GM already make a public statement, that NYI has no interest in Luongo, though...? I think that's pretty credible, but your mileage may vary.

Old
06-24-2013, 04:30 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Luongo is going to get bought out. No way around it, why wont Vancouver fans just accept that?

Closed Thread