HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2013 Offseason Thread Part IV: SCF, end. Trades, begin.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-24-2013, 03:47 PM
  #176
azrok22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9,431
vCash: 50
In light of Vigneault's desire to have two scoring lines, a checking line, and an energy line, I just do not know how Richards fits on this roster.

I guess you could move one of Brassard/Richards to LW, but I don't think that's ideal.

azrok22 is offline  
Old
06-24-2013, 03:47 PM
  #177
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 7,715
vCash: 500
The difference between now and 2 years ago is that Calgary is looking to rebuild. Not sure either side would be happy with the other. But if it does happen, I wouldn't expect to see much of anything coming back.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline  
Old
06-24-2013, 03:51 PM
  #178
azrok22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9,431
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
The difference between now and 2 years ago is that Calgary is looking to rebuild. Not sure either side would be happy with the other. But if it does happen, I wouldn't expect to see much of anything coming back.
Gomez coming off a 58 point/77 game season (62 point pace) brought back McDonagh+, so Richards coming off a 34 points/46 game season (61 point pace) must be worth Bartschi+.

azrok22 is offline  
Old
06-24-2013, 03:51 PM
  #179
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,917
vCash: 50
I think Toronto will do a big double pitch to nab Weiss and Lecavalier this summer. Bozak will be too pricey for a 3c.

Remember when NYR had to deal Cullen, we spent all preseason worried about the 3c. Brought in Peca on trial. In the end it was Dubinsky who broke the roster, and ended up playing with Jagr. I think JT Miller is in a position to be the 3c next year. So I'm not worried about that aspect of proceedings.

Fitzy is offline  
Old
06-24-2013, 03:53 PM
  #180
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,191
vCash: 500
If AV wants a defensive line see what it costs for Burmistrov. Burmistrov between Hags and Callahan for instance is about as shut down as u can get. Or even Boyle playing a 3rd line wing where he looked pretty good. Kreider - Stepan - Nash. Zucc Brass - Callahan. Hags-Burmi-Boyle (shut down line)

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
06-24-2013, 03:57 PM
  #181
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,917
vCash: 50
Burmistrov would cost Del Zotto.

What we do with the rest of the lineup dictates how good a decision that would be. I, for one, would rather have Couturier. Where all else is equal size prevails.

Fitzy is offline  
Old
06-24-2013, 03:59 PM
  #182
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,191
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Burmistrov would cost Del Zotto.

What we do with the rest of the lineup dictates how good a decision that would be. I, for one, would rather have Couturier. Where all else is equal size prevails.
Del Zotto for Couturier? Though Philly just signed street

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
06-24-2013, 04:02 PM
  #183
Trxjw
Moderator
Bored.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,435
vCash: 500
Unless Feaster backtracks quite a bit on his "Okay, we'll rebuild" stance, I don't see him taking on Richards unless we send some valuable young pieces back. If the return is minimal in a trade, then what's the point? It's not as if suddenly Dolan is reigning in the spending. Plus, you'd have to get him to waive his NMC to go to Calgary in the first place.

Trxjw is offline  
Old
06-24-2013, 04:02 PM
  #184
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,917
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Del Zotto for Couturier? Though Philly just signed street
You're right. I've had so much on my plate recently I've lost track of recent dealings.

Fitzy is offline  
Old
06-24-2013, 04:26 PM
  #185
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,040
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Unless Feaster backtracks quite a bit on his "Okay, we'll rebuild" stance, I don't see him taking on Richards unless we send some valuable young pieces back. If the return is minimal in a trade, then what's the point? It's not as if suddenly Dolan is reigning in the spending. Plus, you'd have to get him to waive his NMC to go to Calgary in the first place.
Don't go stomping on my fantasy of a return of Mark Janikowski in a Richards deal.

jas is online now  
Old
06-24-2013, 04:27 PM
  #186
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,191
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
You're right. I've had so much on my plate recently I've lost track of recent dealings.
regardless though, Burmistrov I would target and see what it would take. doesnt hurt to ask. shut down line with him and hags/boyle or boyle/callahan, etc and he's still got raw talent that his upside is way up there and he's only what 21 I think?

Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Zuccarrello-Brassard-Callahan
Hagelin-Burmistrov-Boyle
Pyatt(other)- XX- Dorsett

We dont add much salary at all, and have considerable cap space after the Richards buy out for Hank, Callahan, Girardi etc, or to add some pieces during the season at the TDL


Last edited by Lundsanity30: 06-24-2013 at 04:35 PM.
Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
06-24-2013, 04:30 PM
  #187
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 7,715
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Unless Feaster backtracks quite a bit on his "Okay, we'll rebuild" stance, I don't see him taking on Richards unless we send some valuable young pieces back. If the return is minimal in a trade, then what's the point? It's not as if suddenly Dolan is reigning in the spending. Plus, you'd have to get him to waive his NMC to go to Calgary in the first place.
Ah, the voice of reason (soon to be drowned out in the ongoing chatter of hopes, dreams and delusions).

My feeling is if the Rangers keep Richards, it's because they think he can bounce back and get closer to Sather's goal.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline  
Old
06-24-2013, 04:35 PM
  #188
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Ah, the voice of reason (soon to be drowned out in the ongoing chatter of hopes, dreams and delusions).

My feeling is if the Rangers keep Richards, it's because they think he can bounce back and get closer to Sather's goal.
Therein lies the problem, I guess. This team is not a championship team unless is acquires significant and meaningful depth this offseason.

Look at Chicago and Boston. Those teams are strong 1-20 down the roster every night. Meanwhile this team's 3rd line in the playoffs was Dorsett - Boyle - Pyatt. Ain't gonna cut it.

Richards' $6.67M cap hit (and the failure to develop depth internally) is just getting in the way of the goal.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
06-24-2013, 04:52 PM
  #189
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,750
vCash: 500
Sather saves Dolan $24M in the buyout but the Rangers will take a $5,666,667 cap penalty from 2017-18 to 19-20 if he doesn't play out the last 3 years of the contract. Calgary takes a $333,333 cap penalty. That's it. Richards isn't retiring before 2017. He is owed $33M in the next 4 years. Then $3M combined in the last 3 years. That's the math.

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
06-24-2013, 04:55 PM
  #190
JeffMangum
Ra shi da
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 55,645
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Therein lies the problem, I guess. This team is not a championship team unless is acquires significant and meaningful depth this offseason.

Look at Chicago and Boston. Those teams are strong 1-20 down the roster every night. Meanwhile this team's 3rd line in the playoffs was Dorsett - Boyle - Pyatt. Ain't gonna cut it.

Richards' $6.67M cap hit (and the failure to develop depth internally) is just getting in the way of the goal.
And yet, it outproduced Boston's third line.

The star players not producing was a bigger issue. Acquire another top-end player, fill the rest of the lineup with young players looking to make an impact.

__________________

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline  
Old
06-24-2013, 04:57 PM
  #191
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls
 
Brian Boyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,738
vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Sather saves Dolan $24M in the buyout but the Rangers will take a $5,666,667 cap penalty from 2017-18 to 19-20 if he doesn't play out the last 3 years of the contract. Calgary takes a $333,333 cap penalty. That's it. Richards isn't retiring before 2017. He is owed $33M in the next 4 years. Then $3M combined in the last 3 years. That's the math.
I calculated the cap penalties in that scenario to be $3,555,555.33 per season for the Rangers and $2,111,110.67 per season for the Flames...

__________________
Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Brian Boyle is online now  
Old
06-24-2013, 05:00 PM
  #192
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
I calculated the cap penalties in that scenario to be $3,555,555.33 per season for the Rangers and $2,111,110.67 per season for the Flames...
You two better get your crap straight. You're the 2 guys I depend on in these types of scenarios and the conflicting reports are troubling.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
06-24-2013, 05:01 PM
  #193
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Ah, the voice of reason (soon to be drowned out in the ongoing chatter of hopes, dreams and delusions).

My feeling is if the Rangers keep Richards, it's because they think he can bounce back and get closer to Sather's goal.
The roster has too many holes and no money to fill them with Richards on the team. On top of that,Richards get hurts and the rest of the team will pay the price. Its paying all of the group IIs this summer. Paying the group IIs and IIIs next summer. With the cap going up by a few million for 14-15. Lundqvist will take up all of the cap increase by himself. The team will have zero depth. Sather keeps talking the Hawks and Bruins. Those teams have depth. 12 forwards and 6 defensemen. All of their players can play.

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
06-24-2013, 05:01 PM
  #194
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB v2 0 View Post
And yet, it outproduced Boston's third line.

The star players not producing was a bigger issue. Acquire another top-end player, fill the rest of the lineup with young players looking to make an impact.
"Just get some kids to fill the spots" has worked out real well the past few years.

Either:

1. They're just not ready for the NHL

2. You're putting them in roles they're not accustomed to

Truth of this matter is this team could use a top-end LW'er AND several depth forwards.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
06-24-2013, 05:04 PM
  #195
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
I calculated the cap penalties in that scenario to be $3,555,555.33 per season for the Rangers and $2,111,110.67 per season for the Flames...
3 years

http://capgeek.com/recapture-calcula...aded_year=2013

2 years

http://capgeek.com/recapture-calcula...aded_year=2013

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
06-24-2013, 05:04 PM
  #196
JeffMangum
Ra shi da
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 55,645
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
"Just get some kids to fill the spots" has worked out real well the past few years.

Either:

1. They're just not ready for the NHL

2. You're putting them in roles they're not accustomed to

Truth of this matter is this team could use a top-end LW'er AND several depth forwards.
Signing retreads as depth forwards hasn't worked out well.

Which prospects have come up and not done well in bottom-6 spots? Anisimov, Hagelin, Callahan, Stepan, and Dubinsky all started there.

JeffMangum is offline  
Old
06-24-2013, 05:08 PM
  #197
SA16
Two by two...
 
SA16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 1,935
vCash: 500
IMO the 4th line should be 3 players on minimum contracts. The amount gained from paying more to these guys is offset by the amount lost by not being able to get an extra top 9 forward/bottom pairing d-man etc..

SA16 is offline  
Old
06-24-2013, 05:09 PM
  #198
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls
 
Brian Boyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,738
vCash: 659
Yeah, the three year one is what I calculated, the $5,666,667 is the total penalty, not the Rangers portion.

5,666,667 - 2,111,111 = 3,555,556

Brian Boyle is online now  
Old
06-24-2013, 05:10 PM
  #199
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!
 
Florida Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tampa, FLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,000
vCash: 500
I'd love to see Lecavalier bought out and the Rangers sign him for a few years. I'd take Lecavalier over Briere. Definitely less fragile.

He still has 1st line skill, though he's second liner nowadays. I would love to have him and Brassard flip flop between the 2nd and 3rd line. The 3rd line wouldn't be a complete checking line, but it would sure be a scoring threat. Lecavalier can play the wing too. Has a rocket of a one-timer on the power play. Can play with an edge.

Florida Ranger is offline  
Old
06-24-2013, 05:14 PM
  #200
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,750
vCash: 500
Just amnesty Richards. Sather likes to drag these things. If Dallas didn't have 5 years and $10M on the table for AV,the coaching search would still be going on. In 2005,Sather waited until the last day to compliance buyout Holik. He didn't amnesty Kasparaitis because the Rangers felt they could carry his cap hit in their cap. Kaspar had 3 years left. He was waived in the 2nd year and finished out the contract in Russia. Different rules now.

RangerBoy is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:41 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.