HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Justin Bailey

Old
11-14-2011, 06:23 PM
Ness
@KetchTime

vCash: 500
Justin Bailey

Just watched a special on NHL Live about Justin Bailey. They mentioned he was from Buffalo and plays for Pat LaFontaine's team who is like 30-1-2 or something like that. Matt Barnaby mentored him. Has anyone seen this kid play? Potential 1st rounder or what?

Ness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:54 PM
jfb392

I've never seen him, but no, he's not a first rounder just based on the fact that he's playing midget AAA U17 a year before his draft season.
I had heard of him before this story though, as he was a high pick in the most recent OHL and USHL drafts (he was a first round pick of the Indiana Ice and a mid round pick of the Kitchener Rangers, can't remember which round right now).

I know that he has his reasons for playing midget AAA this season, but until he performs against better competition, he's not proven enough to knock off any of the known names yet for a first round projection.
He's listed anywhere from 6'3'' to 6'4'', so he has a size advantage over all but about five players in the AYHL, as most are like 5'9''.

If he makes the Ivan Hlinka team next summer, I'll be able to watch him then.
To make that team, he'd have to be at the Select 17 camp which is likely to be in Rochester (no dates announced yet), so that's another opportunity to see him.
Unfortunately, there's no way to watch the AYHL other than in person, so I won't be seeing him anytime soon.

If you're curious to see his stats though, they are here.
He's tied for 3rd in points on his team.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:56 PM
BrodieBruce

He's great for getting all the power ups in Metroid

BrodieBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:53 PM
Woodhouse

vCash: 50
I saw that this kid was mentioned in Bakes twitter feed this week, so I thought I'd give him a bump.
Quote:
@SabresProspects Kris Baker
Earlier this week Williamsville native Justin Bailey (6'3, 185) committed to Michigan State for 2014. His dad is former Bills LB Carlton.
15 Jan via web: http://twitter.com/#!/SabresProspect...25498342608896
Quote:
Forward Justin Bailey of the Long Island Royals Midget National Team has spent much of his adolescent life in the company of professional athletes.

His father, Carlton Bailey, spent a decade in the NFL as a linebacker and made three trips to the Super Bowl with the Buffalo Bills. Today, Justin is coached by Hockey Hall of Famer Pat LaFontaine and former New York Islander Steve Webb.

When he lived in Buffalo with his mother (Karen Buscaglia), he was introduced to former Sabres' Rob Ray, Michael Peca and Matthew Barnaby, all of whom lived in his condominium complex.

"I still keep in touch with Barnaby the most out of all of them," Bailey said. "He kind of taught me the mental aspect and what to do each season, the things to work on. He's been there and done that."

He also received a recommendation from Danny Briere, through a friend, to give the book, "Mind Gym: An Athlete's Guide to Inner Excellence," written by co-authors Gary Mack and David Casstevens a good read. The 16-year-old power forward admits the book was inspiring.

"It was great to have a guy like that show me a book to help my game," Bailey said. "I was probably 11 or 12 years old and I actually bought another copy to re-read it. The thing that I think separates a good hockey player from a great hockey player is dedication and work ethic. If you can get a mental edge over guys, you'll be set. That's what the book describes."

More at: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=601289

Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:12 AM
Fly Boy
Aye Sir!

Quote:
@SabresProspects Kris Baker
Earlier this week Williamsville native Justin Bailey (6'3, 185) committed to Michigan State for 2014. His dad is former Bills LB Carlton.
15 Jan via web: http://twitter.com/#!/SabresProspect...25498342608896
Yeaaaahh Buddy!

Fly Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:39 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

I just watched him play locally, as the royals come to me often. He's insane.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:43 AM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Better yet...Hire Patty for new coach!

McTankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 02:30 AM
SabresBillsBuffalo

Committed full ride MSU

SabresBillsBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 06:25 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Seems like the kind of guy who would end up getting invited to one of those unofficial summer camps.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 08:04 AM
CrankyJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodieBruce View Post
He's great for getting all the power ups in Metroid
LOL, came here to post this. Good show.

CrankyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 02:37 PM
Akipa
HFB Partner

Had a great second half with the Rangers that really boosted his position. Was great in the playoffs too. Top Shelf Prospects see's him as the 41st best prospect in the draft.

Full scouting report: http://lastwordonsports.com/2013/05/...er-profile-41/

Akipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 08:28 PM
Sabresfansince1980

If Buffalo misses out on Monahan/Lindholm at #8, and Horvat/Lazar at #16, is there a better option at #38 than Bailey for a big C with top-two potential?

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 08:31 PM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post
If Buffalo misses out on Monahan/Lindholm at #8, and Horvat/Lazar at #16, is there a better option at #38 than Bailey for a big C with top-two potential?
It depends on how it pans out but I'd hope that if they don't get their center at 8 that they'd go with Gauthier at 16 and then hope that Bailey / Santini were there at 38.

Old Navy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 08:57 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Devine says they have him in the third round, fwiw.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 09:59 PM
Woodhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Devine says they have him in the third round, fwiw.
At the June 20th presser, Devine actually said: "He's a high riser, with most teams having him going somewhere in the second round...big kid that works very hard...needs to fill out his frame...got to adjust to the Canadian game a little bit more, get a little bit more physical...think he's got lots of potential."

6.06 – Kevin Snow interviews Justin Bailey ahead of the 2013 NHL Entry Draft. <7:34>

Old
06-24-2013, 11:13 PM
Woodhouse

Bailey was an honorable mention in OHL Prospects' Final Media/Scout Top 10 for 2013:
Quote:
Justin Bailey - Forward - Kitchener Rangers
Received 5 votes (Highest was 9th)

"I think he had to make the adjustment from Midgets to the OHL this year so we haven't seen the true potential of him just yet. He will be good value as a second rounder when he develops as an 18 and 19 year old." - Anonymous

"Boy is he loaded with potential. He had a very good rookie season playing behind the Rangers big guns. Injuries early on may have hurt his status, but there’s no arguing his work ethic and he has shown signs of flashiness. He has an NHL caliber shot and his skating is based on hard work." - Anonymous

"Bailey has made me both excited and disappointed this season. His rookie season in the OHL was an up and down affair just as his consistency levels can be in games. He would make you fall in love with him one game after a power rush where he also shows skilled hands and/or a powerful shot; then grow frustrated with him the next few shifts as he seems content to just float around not engaging in the ongoing action. Bailey had a very strong beginning to 2013 in January and February but his play and consistency again dropped off towards the end of the year as he ended the regular season with just one assist in his final eight games. The NHL team looking at Bailey will need to realize it is likely top six role or bust as he just does not have the consistent work rate to maintain a bottom six checking role. With that said his upside is very high if he can put everything together." - Dan Stewart

Old
06-25-2013, 12:01 AM
Armond White
Go Sabres!

Heh, I was his camp counselor when he was 12. I remember he had a rocket of a shot in street hockey then, so that's my analysis.

Armond White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 12:28 AM
cybresabre
Zemgus!

vCash: 723
Send a message via ICQ to cybresabre
Ranked 12th in the OHL by Brock
Quote:
12. Justin Bailey - Forward - Kitchener Rangers
Bailey is a very raw prospect. This was his first OHL season and he went through some growing pains. But...he's got a very high ceiling, if the team that drafts him is willing to be patient. Bailey has size at 6'3, but is currently very lanky. He can be pushed off the puck too easily right now and needs to add strength to be a more effective player in traffic. But at his size, he's a terrific skater. He changes direction very well and has an extra gear. He's a bit of an awkward skater though, sort of wide strides similar to Wayne Simmonds when he played in the OHL. Offensively, his biggest weapon is his shot. He's got massive goal scoring potential at the next level. His snap and wrist shot are fantastic; both hard and accurate. But, I think there has to be some concern that he scored only 2 goals in his final 21 games (including playoffs). He looked gassed towards the end of the year, further proof that conditioning is an area of concern. The rest of his game is also a work in progress. For his size, he could stand to play more physical and engage in traffic more consistently. His two-way game is evolving and has potential because of his size and skating abilities. When he becomes the sum of his parts, Bailey could be a very good player and that's what has drawn the interest of scouts.

cybresabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 02:03 AM
SabresBillsBuffalo

Late first, early second is what I've been hearing.

SabresBillsBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 10:18 AM
Woodhouse

6.25 – WGR's Howard Simon Show interviews Justin Bailey ahead of the 2013 NHL Entry Draft. <8:53>