HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Souray: Does the good outweigh the bad?

Old
10-17-2006, 07:25 PM
Dogbert*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
Souray: Does the good outweigh the bad?

I'm watching the first period of the Habs/Flames game, and Souray's been standing out a lot... but not always in a good way. Of course, he scored the Habs' second goal of the game, which is fantastic... but he decided to even it out by taking not one, not two, but THREE boneheaded penalties. He's got us in a bind, and this game's been a microcosm of it: his shot is too powerful not to have out there during powerplays, but his legs and brain put us short a man far too often.

Therefore, I propose this: Play Souray almost exclusively on the powerplay. That way, we don't lose his shot on powerplays, and largely keep him from putting us at a disadvantage otherwise. The rest of our defensemen are good enough to carry the load without him, and if not, I think we can play enough team defense that it won't hurt not to play Souray much even-strength.

Thoughts?

Dogbert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 07:28 PM
Mike8

I disagree. This is a game where, even if the Habs lose, they're a closer knit team because of it. Souray has spearheaded the Habs quest in regaining and finding their lost, ahem, for a lack of a better word: manliness.

Sure, some of the penalties are dumb, but some penalties need to be dumb in order to set the precedent.

Souray serves as a secondary enforcer on the club, and he's got a tremendous presence, both for intimidation and for on-ice leadership.

I'm a big fan of what Souray's done tonight.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 07:29 PM
Habs13

I wouldn't move Souray... he's tough and stands up for the guys and has a lethal shot. A lot of D-men mature with age so I hope that is the case with Sheldon, that he gets better in his own end as time goes. No way would I trade him. Unless Phaneuf comes to the Habs, and that is a hell of a pipe dream!

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 07:31 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
I would trade Souray, but the problem is we'd need somebody very similar to him in return...and that's just about impossible these days. I think we'll just have to deal with Souray's boneheaded plays and abysmal one-on-one ability.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 07:32 PM
Schooner Guy

Souray was the first one after Regehr when he laid out Downey. Souray is always the first one to look after his teammates.

He's slow and has trouble pivoting but we need his leadership and muscle. Also, that point shot is one of the best in the league.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 07:36 PM
Mike8

People pick on Souray being slow and beaten one on one. What these people fail to realize is that Souray's out there more often than not against the opposition's top line. Sometimes it's Markov, but it's frequently Souray.

As the team improves, if it improves, Souray will see fewer quality-minutes against the opposition's top line. He's not being paid as a top defenseman right now, so he's being exposed to situations which are beyond him.

Play Souray as he should be played, which is to use him as a top special-teams defenseman (his lack of mobility doesn't hurt the PK; his reach, strength and aggressiveness is an asset), and minimize his 5 on 5 time to duty against the opposition's third and fourth lines, and you'll see a very, very valuable Souray.

I think a Souray used in this capacity is worth the $2.5million: he offers a unique quality on the PP, solid on the PK, and offers, from all we've seen, an excellent amount of leadership on and off the ice. Further, he adds a lot to the team's all-around toughness.

Keep Souray, but re-evaluate his role.

Old
10-17-2006, 07:42 PM
Mr San Diego Hab
Mosdell = Cup Champ

Ask him...

why he was up at the blue line on the last Calgary goal

Mr San Diego Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 08:21 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSDHab View Post
why he was up at the blue line on the last Calgary goal
Because he was looking to go after Phaneuf.

Old
10-17-2006, 08:29 PM
CLEGHORN

I like Souray,but i'd trade him,no problem if the right offer came along.Of course,if he played every game with the ball's he's showing tonight,i'd change my mind.He probably cost us 1 goal,but doing some good hitting,scoring 2 goal's1 assist so far make's up for it.

CLEGHORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 08:32 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEGHORN View Post
I like Souray,but i'd trade him,no problem if the right offer came along.Of course,if he played every game with the ball's he's showing tonight,i'd change my mind.He probably cost us 1 goal,but doing some good hitting,scoring 2 goal's1 assist so far make's up for it.
Souray always plays with balls. No idea what you're talking about.

Old
10-17-2006, 08:55 PM
znk

I think....if he had less ice time short handed and a bit less 5 on 5 we'd be in buisness. Goal scoring powerplay goon.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 09:20 PM
CLEGHORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Souray always plays with balls. No idea what you're talking about.
I guess heart would be a better word. Alway's play's with ball's?

CLEGHORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 09:23 PM
Toro

Tired of the souray debate threads. How many is neccessary?

The guy aint goin no where end of story

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 09:24 PM
Quiet Robert

In a word, yes.

He isn't the best skater and he does take bad penalties and turn the puck over, but he's big, strong, physical and has a rocket for a shot.

I'll take a few turnovers here and there if he can bring toughness, physicality and be an impact on the PP.

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 09:28 PM
espo*

Some games yes,some games no.

You take it a day at a time with Sheldon.

espo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 09:30 PM
Artyukhin*

Souray by far outweights any weakness he has .
he fights and he got respect in the dept . notice old dion wanted no part of him . i guess he seen Darren McCarty all blooody last year .
point blast hard as they come .

sorrta crappy we got a thread like this on a night souray gets 3 pts
and 2nd star of the game . doesnt seem right .

go sheldon ! go

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 09:31 PM
Habitant#1

If we lose Souray other teams will have their way with us. He's the only guy that can intimidate anyone on our team.

Habitant#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 09:31 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEGHORN View Post
I guess heart would be a better word. Alway's play's with ball's?
I see you're going to be a valuable contributor to this forum, given your abilities to develop a point and communicate. Welcome!

Old
10-17-2006, 09:42 PM
Toro

If you watch all the MTL games this season, I mean really watch the games, NOT JUST THE HIGHLITES. you will see why Souray isn't goin anywhere.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 09:43 PM
felixd

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
Souray by far outweights any weakness he has .
he fights and he got respect in the dept . notice old dion wanted no part of him . i guess he seen Darren McCarty all blooody last year .
point blast hard as they come .

sorrta crappy we got a thread like this on a night souray gets 3 pts
and 2nd star of the game . doesnt seem right .

go sheldon ! go
Exactly.

No player is perfect, Souray has his weaknesses too, but what he brings to the team is invaluable.

felixd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 09:47 PM
Pascal

I'm split.. Souray is probably our best dman on the PP, until Markov wakes up that is. Right now he's needed. He needs to buck up on D tho.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 11:03 PM
White Snake*

WHoever is bad mouthing Souray should smack themselves!

Im so proud of his effort tonight. What a rocket this man has. AS for the penalties he took, good for him. I would be upset if he didnt go after Regehr or stand up for himself about the hit after the whistle. Because of Komi and Souray we are proving that we will not be b*tch slapped in our own arena anymore. Plus remember the guy plays with Rivet, thats no easy responsibility. ALl you spoiled habs fans that need a scapegoat to mend your own wounds disgust me. Leave the guy alone and if you need a target at least pick one accordingly. The guy is a leader, a monster and a stud on the PP.

Yeah lets trade him and put Rivet on the 1st PP unit, great idea? Oh right lets also trade Higgins for a french guy, why not Marc Chinourd.

Brain dead comments. Geez

White Snake* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 11:04 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
People pick on Souray being slow and beaten one on one. What these people fail to realize is that Souray's out there more often than not against the opposition's top line. Sometimes it's Markov, but it's frequently Souray.

As the team improves, if it improves, Souray will see fewer quality-minutes against the opposition's top line. He's not being paid as a top defenseman right now, so he's being exposed to situations which are beyond him.

Play Souray as he should be played, which is to use him as a top special-teams defenseman (his lack of mobility doesn't hurt the PK; his reach, strength and aggressiveness is an asset), and minimize his 5 on 5 time to duty against the opposition's third and fourth lines, and you'll see a very, very valuable Souray.

I think a Souray used in this capacity is worth the $2.5million: he offers a unique quality on the PP, solid on the PK, and offers, from all we've seen, an excellent amount of leadership on and off the ice. Further, he adds a lot to the team's all-around toughness.

Keep Souray, but re-evaluate his role.
This pretty much says it all.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 11:44 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

The only negative that everyone thinks Souray has is that he gets burned one-on-one. Well guess what? That one-on-one situation only happens once a game, at most! We should get rid of him, or reduce his role, just to avoid something that rarely happens? To me, he's worth every one of his deficiencies.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 11:56 PM
Habbadasher

As many observers have noted, the Habs have a defence that is more than the sum of its parts, the problem is, sometimes, some parts, get exposed. Souray is being asked to do more than a team with a better D would ask of him. It is not his fault we are a bit weak on the back end.

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote