HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Carle at WJC

Closed Thread

Old
01-05-2004, 03:15 PM
glennzky

vCash: 500
Matt Carle at WJC

I saw the second half of the USA vs. Finland game and most of the USA vs. Canada gold medal game (taped the rest to watch later) and noticed that Carle got beat to the outside 3 times which directly resulted in goals against Team USA (1 vs. Finland and 2 vs. Canada). Anyone else notice this trend? Has anyone seen him play other games and can comment on that? Seems like he could have easily stood up the attacking forward but he gave the attacker a free lane along the boards and got beat by speed to the outside. Looks like Carle needs some serious adjusting to his game.

Old
01-05-2004, 03:31 PM
mage23

Send a message via ICQ to mage23 Send a message via AIM to mage23 Send a message via MSN to mage23 Send a message via Yahoo to mage23
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennzky
I saw the second half of the USA vs. Finland game and most of the USA vs. Canada gold medal game (taped the rest to watch later) and noticed that Carle got beat to the outside 3 times which directly resulted in goals against Team USA (1 vs. Finland and 2 vs. Canada). Anyone else notice this trend? Has anyone seen him play other games and can comment on that? Seems like he could have easily stood up the attacking forward but he gave the attacker a free lane along the boards and got beat by speed to the outside. Looks like Carle needs some serious adjusting to his game.
Yup, he definitely got beat wide multiple times and looked lost in the third period when he finally got back on the nice. Nice adjustment by the team USA coaches. He was out a TON early, but he got shuffled down to spot shifts by the third, and didn't see the ice more than once in the last 8 minutes of the game.

That said, it should be pointed out that in college or professional NA hockey, they wouldn't have beat him wide because the rink isn't international size. I think he just didn't adjust well to the bigger ice (after all, this was only their 6th game on it). On a normal size rink, all of the rushes are smothered into the boards.

Old
01-05-2004, 08:18 PM
glennzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by mage23
Yup, he definitely got beat wide multiple times and looked lost in the third period when he finally got back on the nice. Nice adjustment by the team USA coaches. He was out a TON early, but he got shuffled down to spot shifts by the third, and didn't see the ice more than once in the last 8 minutes of the game.

That said, it should be pointed out that in college or professional NA hockey, they wouldn't have beat him wide because the rink isn't international size. I think he just didn't adjust well to the bigger ice (after all, this was only their 6th game on it). On a normal size rink, all of the rushes are smothered into the boards.
--------------------------------

I don't know how the bigger ice surface had slipped my mind. Good point.

However, he didn't seem to make any attempt to challenge the attacker. He seemed to be trying to take away the middle when there was no one for the attacker to pass too. He was way too passive and got beat cleanly.

There wasn't anything about his play that impressed me. He seemed to struggle clearing the puck too. He wasn't making breakout passes either. All around he looked pretty weak.

Anyone have any insight into his play on his regular team?

Old
01-06-2004, 05:17 AM
X-SHARKIE

Send a message via AIM to X-SHARKIE
Carle played more agressive as the game went on though, I'm going to watch the tape more closely but he didnt play all that bad.

Old
01-06-2004, 05:31 AM
Holly Gunning

Yep I noticed the trend and I thought he looked pretty bad. He just didn't seem to have the elite skating ability of the other players. He might be fine on regular ice, but fine isn't elite.

Old
01-06-2004, 09:14 AM
Baron Von Shark

I really don't have too much substance to add, but a buddy of mine who watched him closely said Carle played a subpar tournament.

Old
01-06-2004, 09:30 AM
X-SHARKIE

Send a message via AIM to X-SHARKIE
Well first off Carle didnt get much ice time against Canada I see.

Carle was disapointing, Still watching him in Denver very early in the season, he was more of an offensive defensman, He's not a very physical guy.

Much like Kai Hospelt last year at the WJC's. I think Carle was asked to play a role that he simply can not, be the 6th defensman and just don't screw up. Sure he played just average all tournamnet, I agree, no excuses he shouldve played better, but I cant help but say he was misused, although Suter does what he does much better so I cant blame Eaves as well.

WAY TO GOO U.S.A.!!

Old
01-06-2004, 11:11 AM
mage23

Send a message via ICQ to mage23 Send a message via AIM to mage23 Send a message via MSN to mage23 Send a message via Yahoo to mage23
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-SHARKIE
Well first off Carle didnt get much ice time against Canada I see.
Actually, he was out there quite a lot in the first period -- I was surprised how much ice time he was seeing.... but after he got beat to the inside by Dawes (after over committing to playing him to the outside), then had Anthony Stewart blow by him to the outside on the 2nd goal, his ice time got reduced and his confidence seemed shot.

Old
01-06-2004, 11:19 AM
Hockeycrazed07

Send a message via ICQ to Hockeycrazed07 Send a message via AIM to Hockeycrazed07 Send a message via Yahoo to Hockeycrazed07
It should be pointed out that Canada (Dawes and Stewart, in particular) did that to a few defensemen in the tourney, so it's not like Carle had a bad time of it comparitively. Even the best D of the tourney got hosed once on a rush on Boxing Day.

~Crazed.

Old
01-06-2004, 12:58 PM
glennzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeycrazed07
It should be pointed out that Canada (Dawes and Stewart, in particular) did that to a few defensemen in the tourney, so it's not like Carle had a bad time of it comparitively. Even the best D of the tourney got hosed once on a rush on Boxing Day.

~Crazed.
------------------------------

I can understand getting beat here and there - but three times in 4-1/2 periods of play that I watched???? And the manner in which he was beat was terrible. It wasn't great moves by the attacking forward that caused the problems - it was the lack of aggressive/appropriate action by Carle that led to the goals against. There were other parts of his game that looked subpar too. All around I was very disappointed. I hope he can turn things around. I'd like to hear Wilson's take on his play. I'll ask him next time I talk to him.

Old
01-06-2004, 04:05 PM
Hockeycrazed07

Send a message via ICQ to Hockeycrazed07 Send a message via AIM to Hockeycrazed07 Send a message via Yahoo to Hockeycrazed07
I wasn't making excuses for him in any way. He needs to improve. I was merely pointing out that he wasn't the only one to get eaten alive by the Canadians. I wasn't dissappointed in any way. I got exactly what I expected, and he'll improve. You see his type of game a lot from other offensive D (especially offensive college D) his age.

~Crazed.

Old
01-06-2004, 04:36 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mage23
Actually, that's not altogether true. While Magness Arena (University of Denver's home ice) is similar in size to an NHL rink, the same cannot be said for many other rinks around the NCAA. University of Minnesota's Mariucci Arena and UNH's Whittemore Centre are examples of two NCAA schools' rinks where the ice surface is closer in size to the international ice surface.

In reply to Carle's WJC performance, I was somewhat disappointed, especially since I've already seen Carle play several times with DU. Carle (as has been mentioned) is not the most physical out there and I doubt he ever will be. He's primarily an offensive defenceman, whose a good skater. He's very good also with the puck (at least in the DU games I saw him) but his defensive work, especially going one-on-one along the boards needs improving.

Old
01-07-2004, 01:48 PM
glennzky

In reply to Carle's WJC performance, I was somewhat disappointed, especially since I've already seen Carle play several times with DU. Carle (as has been mentioned) is not the most physical out there and I doubt he ever will be. He's primarily an offensive defenceman, whose a good skater. He's very good also with the puck (at least in the DU games I saw him) but his defensive work, especially going one-on-one along the boards needs improving.[/QUOTE]
------------------------------------------

Thanks, that's the type of info I was looking for about his college game.

Closed Thread