HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL 2012-2013 II

Closed Thread

Old
06-24-2013, 10:15 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
Really curious to see what the Hawks do next year, crazy how they fell off the face off the earth then came back so strong. The NHL is so unpredictable lately with teams not consistently making it out of the 1st round.
They didn't fall of the face of the earth.
The fell back. But these guys still had the primetime nucleus to contend.

With Toews, Kane, Keith and Seabrook -- these guys have 5-6 more years of prime time contention.
That doesn't mean they're going to win or make the conference finals every year. It just means that with tweaks, they're contenders. They don't have to worry about their stars getting too old for quite some time

Old
06-24-2013, 10:16 PM
SportsballChic
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
If Kenny Holland had not sent down Smith for another year of garbage time in the AHL, Smith would have been a far better player going into the series against the Hawks.
Okay, I have heard this theory before and I really REALLY hope you guys are right. I would definitely love to see a better Smith in year 2 and I didn't know that was his historical MO.

That having been said, I'd need to see him do it first. Also, I actually like Smith a lot and I think he does make a lot of good plays; just not first round plays, not the kinda stuff you sit up and go "wow". Plus, I'm genuinely afraid be might be a very good player who also happens to be a bonehead/has the yips; though that's just conjecture on my part atm.

He is kinda unlucky, a lot of guys make the same kinds of mistakes he does on the Wings without the puck being sucked into the net like the ice is a pinball machine on tilt. I mean I don't even really believe in luck but if the kid blinks funny, the puck goes in.

Old
06-24-2013, 10:18 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Why is Bolland leaving? He a UFA?

Old
06-24-2013, 10:19 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsballChic View Post
Okay, I have heard this theory before and I really REALLY hope you guys are right. I would definitely love to see a better Smith in year 2 and I didn't know that was his historical MO.

That having been said, I'd need to see him do it first. Also, I actually like Smith a lot and I think he does make a lot of good plays; just not first round plays, not the kinda stuff you sit up and go "wow". Plus, I'm genuinely afraid be might be a very good player who also happens to be a bonehead/has the yips; though that's just conjecture on my part atm.

He is kinda unlucky, a lot of guys make the same kinds of mistakes he does on the Wings without the puck being sucked into the net like the ice is a pinball machine on tilt. I mean I don't even really believe in luck but if the kid blinks funny, the puck goes in.
Smith's problem isn't luck.
It's that he's not smart defensively and he lacks experience.

Old
06-24-2013, 10:19 PM
Mickey Redmond

I think I'm going to be sick

We had Chicago beat, now we have to endure watching them win the cup.

Old
06-24-2013, 10:20 PM
ThankYouBasedGod

**** Chicago.

Old
06-24-2013, 10:21 PM
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Redmond View Post
I'm not that mad. Wanted Boston to win. I hate Chicago. But they earned it. Boston had plenty of chances. They blew it. Coach blew it.

Old
06-24-2013, 10:21 PM
Townsend Beasley
Coop, how's Annie?

Quote:
Have a ginger ale on me, Mick. We had our shot, we blue it.

Old
06-24-2013, 10:22 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Wings got lucky by getting to play a terrible Ducks team. I am not going to lose any sleep over the Hawks winning the cup. It sucks, but they were the best team in the NHL.

Old
SportsballChic
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsNow View Post
Smith's problem isn't luck.
It's that he's not smart defensively and he lacks experience.
Not sure if misunderstood or trolling.

I did not mean to imply "there is nothing wrong with his game, he's just unlucky" in any way. What bugs me about him is that he can go from very good to horrible on the front and back end of the same shift. Also, he never gets past "very good"; I can't remember him making one play all year where I went "yeap, THAT is a first round defenseman folks" although I will concede that "my memory" does not mean it didn't happen.

That having been said, and call me a slappy if you must: his errors ALWAYS lead to a red light, other players make similar mistakes and at least SOMETIMES get bailed out. Smith just seems to take the hammer between the eyes constantly.

Old
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

I never once sensed we had Chicago beat. With Anaheim, you could sense their doom. Not Chicago.

Big difference was that Joel Quenville - the coach who Wings fans love to rip -- adjusted. Mike Babcock kept rolling out the Abdelkader-Datsyuk atrocity.

Old
06-24-2013, 10:23 PM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Old
06-24-2013, 10:24 PM
Wolverine Wings
#thankyoubasedgod

Quote:
I never once sensed we had Chicago beat. With Anaheim, you could sense their doom. Not Chicago.

Big difference was that Joel Quenville - the coach who Wings fans love to rip -- adjusted. Mike Babcock kept rolling out the Abdelkader-Datsyuk atrocity.
Who would you have replaced Abby with? Honest question, I'm not trying to be sarcastic.

Old
06-24-2013, 10:25 PM
1st Line Interloper
Will Drop the Gloves

Quote:
Yup, I had this same feeling. I wasn't celebrating until we got that 4th win.

I'm not happy about Chicago winning but they earned it. I hate it as much as anybody else here but it is what it is. Let's hope the Wings go out, make some moves and win it next year.

Old
06-24-2013, 10:25 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsballChic View Post
Not sure if misunderstood or trolling.

I did not mean to imply "there is nothing wrong with his game, he's just unlucky" in any way. What bugs me about him is that he can go from very good to horrible on the front and back end of the same shift. Also, he never gets past "very good"; I can't remember him making one play all year where I went "yeap, THAT is a first round defenseman folks" although I will concede that "my memory" does not mean it didn't happen.

That having been said, and call me a slappy if you must: his errors ALWAYS lead to a red light, other players make similar mistakes and at least SOMETIMES get bailed out. Smith just seems to take the hammer between the eyes constantly.
Smith was partnered with players who were just as incompetent as he was for most of the season. Luck had nothing to do with it.

Smith should have played last year, where he would have played sheltered minutes and Lidstrom would have been around to mentor him.

The situation Smith was put in this year is the exact opposite approach Ken Holland preaches.

Old
06-24-2013, 10:26 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

His errors don't always lead to a red light. I've seen this said elsewhere. And i hope this idea doesn't catch on - because it's BS.

Smith had defensive issues in Canadian Junior B or whatever.
He had defensive issues at Wisconsin.
He had defensive issues at Grand Rapids.
He had defensive issues in Detroit.

That's who he is. Some guys just don't have a lot of defense in their DNA. They can learn aspects of it. But they can't make it instinct, like others can.

Old
06-24-2013, 10:26 PM
we like our team

doesnt bother me at all

Old
06-24-2013, 10:27 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MGoBlue2 View Post
Who would you have replaced Abby with? Honest question, I'm not trying to be sarcastic.
A pylon or beach ball.

The guy was a black hole on offense. It's where the puck went to die.

Old
Mickey Redmond

the worst part is all of their bandwagon fans that didn't exist until 3-4 years ago. Oh well, at least Pittsburgh didn't win it.

Old
VladTheImpaler
Go Wings

Hawks were the best team from start to finish. They deserved to win.

Old
06-24-2013, 10:28 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
Smith was partnered with players who were just as incompetent as he was for most of the season. Luck had nothing to do with it.

Smith should have played last year, where he would have played sheltered minutes and Lidstrom would have been around to mentor him.

The situation Smith was put in this year is the exact opposite approach Ken Holland preaches.
The Red Wings are full of **** when they talk about their development "philosophies."
I heard that mentoring garbage BS earlier this year and I thought the exact same thing as you.
Why didn't Smith and Kindl learn from their mentors?

I get the feeling these guys have lots corporate meetings around board room tables. The BS is thick

Old
06-24-2013, 10:29 PM
Save By Thomas
I Rep That West

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladTheImpaler View Post
Hawks were the best team from start to finish. They deserved to win.
They deserve to lick my taint.

Old
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Quote:
the worst part is all of their bandwagon fans that didn't exist until 3-4 years ago. Oh well, at least Pittsburgh didn't win it.
Would have rather seen Pittsburgh win it. At least Iggy would have gotten a cup.

Old
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladdy84 View Post
Well Dale Tallon bailed them out. Didn't they get a couple 1st or 2nd rounders as well?
Yeah, Barker for Leddy was a hockey trade really, a very bad one, but after the mad dash.

Morin still hasn't made it up he was really the big draft pick.

Trading Campbell helped their cap but was really why they weren't great last year. Leddy was not ready to be in that role, by the way for as much as people love on Leddy he was almost always stapled to the bench during the post-season. Oduya stepped up this year and Hammer (yeah don't want to spell his name) returned much closer to his cup form.

They tinkered and good on them, but really the first big purge brought back in the Versteeg, Laad, Big Buff deals was pretty much a terrible haul.

Old
06-24-2013, 10:30 PM
irishock
In the sunset

vCash: 325
That's what happens when you don't hammer the nail in the coffin.

Closed Thread