HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Forward lines in the near future

Old
06-24-2013, 03:53 PM
blinds

vCash: 50
Forward lines in the near future

So for the near future it looks like our core forwards are pretty set. Hartnell, Giroux, Voracek, Schenn, Simmonds, Couturier, Read, Laughton, Talbot and Rinaldo is a good group to grow around. One or more could be moved in a trade for a 1/2D or a good goalie. The ones I could see moving are Read, Laughton, Couturier, and Hartnell in that order. But assuming they don't, what do you think our lines look like and what would be best?

A few things I've seen discussed a lot are whether Schenn should move to left wing so we can bump Couts up to 2C and let Laughton have 3C. Would Schenn be as effective at wing instead of center?

Also something I've seen some discussion about taking Voracek off of G's line. Even though Voracek is starting to shoot more, I think this could be a good move and that he's probably ready to anchor his own line. Right now between him and Giroux there seems to be too much pass-first mentality. Anyone agree, or should they be kept together?

Last thing I thought could be interesting is instead of moving Schenn to wing, what if they moved Giroux? With our logjam at center he could be on either Schenn or Cout's line. Honestly he's sort of regressed defensively since he got 1C responsibilities and overall he seems a little too small for center. On wing he just seemed more comfortable making plays, just look how effective he is at the halfboards on the powerplay. Also if he's moved to wing it could give him more opportunities to cherry-pick and G is one of the deadliest players in the NHL on breakaways/oddman rushes. The only issue is, as of right now at least, Both Couts and Schenn are horrendous on faceoffs while Giroux has been beastly. Faceoffs can be improved dramatically through practice, and its something both of them need to work on.

Just some thoughts, didn't think this topic really fit in with the overhaul thread since it wasn't about roster changes and wasn't about next year specifically. Sorry for the really long thread, just some things I've been thinking about this offseason. What do you guys think we could see moving forward as far as line combinations and who at what position?

One last thought: Do we need a new sniper to play with Giroux? We saw with Hartnell, who seems to have regressed/been figured out, what someone with a good shot can do with Giroux. Maybe it could eventually be one of Schenn/Couts/Voracek.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 06-24-2013 at 04:15 PM.
blinds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 04:19 PM
FLYERSFAN18

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinds View Post
So for the near future it looks like our core forwards are pretty set. Hartnell, Giroux, Voracek, Schenn, Simmonds, Couturier, Read, Laughton, Talbot and Rinaldo is a good group to grow around. One or more could be moved in a trade for a 1/2D or a good goalie. The ones I could see moving are Read, Laughton, Couturier, and Hartnell in that order. But assuming they don't, what do you think our lines look like and what would be best?

A few things I've seen discussed a lot are whether Schenn should move to left wing so we can bump Couts up to 2C and let Laughton have 3C. Would Schenn be as effective at wing instead of center?

Also something I've seen some discussion about taking Voracek off of G's line. Even though Voracek is starting to shoot more, I think this could be a good move and that he's probably ready to anchor his own line. Right now between him and Giroux there seems to be too much pass-first mentality. Anyone agree, or should they be kept together?

Last thing I thought could be interesting is instead of moving Schenn to wing, what if they moved Giroux? With our logjam at center he could be on either Schenn or Cout's line. Honestly he's sort of regressed defensively since he got 1C responsibilities and overall he seems a little too small for center. On wing he just seemed more comfortable making plays, just look how effective he is at the halfboards on the powerplay. Also if he's moved to wing it could give him more opportunities to cherry-pick and G is one of the deadliest players in the NHL on breakaways/oddman rushes. The only issue is, as of right now at least, Both Couts and Schenn are horrendous on faceoffs while Giroux has been beastly. Faceoffs can be improved dramatically through practice, and its something both of them need to work on.

Just some thoughts, didn't think this topic really fit in with the overhaul thread since it wasn't about roster changes and wasn't about next year specifically. Sorry for the really long thread, just some things I've been thinking about this offseason. What do you guys think we could see moving forward as far as line combinations and who at what position?

One last thought: Do we need a new sniper to play with Giroux? We saw with Hartnell, who seems to have regressed/been figured out, what someone with a good shot can do with Giroux. Maybe it could eventually be one of Schenn/Couts/Voracek.
If Giroux was moved to wing he could take important face offs for a while schenn and couts develop part of their game. I know everyone is tired of hearing it but Ryan would be great on girouxs wing. If we could get him for coburn, read, plus next years first and if we had a viable coburn replacement it would be great

Hartnell/Schenn-Giroux-Ryan
Hartnell/Schenn-Couturier-Voracek
XXX-Laughton-Simmonds

Or Ryan could be at left wing and move Laughton to wing and pair him with Couts for a great defensive line.

Ryan-Giroux-Simmonds
Hartnell-Schenn-Voracek
Laughton-Couturier-XXX

Coburn would need to be replaced. Maybe Sbisa could be had with Ryan? While he wouldn't be as good as coburn right now he could be in a year or two

FLYERSFAN18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 10:15 PM
blinds

vCash: 50
I agree Ryan would be a perfect compliment to Giroux. Probably part of the reason so many Flyers fans still want him, along with all the other connections he has to the Flyers.

Is Sbisa the same type of player as Coburn? I'll be honest, I dont know much of anything about him.

blinds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 10:28 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinds View Post
I agree Ryan would be a perfect compliment to Giroux. Probably part of the reason so many Flyers fans still want him, along with all the other connections he has to the Flyers.

Is Sbisa the same type of player as Coburn? I'll be honest, I dont know much of anything about him.
I think it would be a bit of a downgrade for the present time but likely an upgrade in the future. But he also come about 2.25 cheaper cap hit. I'm not advocating trading coburn but for a deal like that I would do it

Old
06-24-2013, 10:48 PM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Guessed on all the expiring contracts but we could be looking at something like this.

FORWARDS
Scott Hartnell ($4.750m) / Claude Giroux ($7.500m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
XXX/Brayden Schenn ($3.500m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Tye McGinn ($1.000m) / Sean Couturier ($3.500m) / Matt Read ($4.000m)
Zac Rinaldo ($0.750m)/ Scott Laughton ($1.107m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.750m)
Jay Rosehill ($0.675m) /Jason Akeson ($0.900m)

DEFENSEMEN
Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m) / Mark Streit ($5.250m)
Luke Schenn ($3.600m)/ Braydon Coburn ($4.500m)
Erik Gustafsson ($1.200m)/XXX
Chris Pronger ($4.941m)

GOALTENDERS
Steve Mason ($2.000m)
XXX

With Pronger's Cap hit: SALARY CAP: $64,300,000;; CAP SPACE: $1,528,978

Without Pronger: CAP SPACE: $6,470,407

Last edited by PhilaFlyers: 06-24-2013 at 11:00 PM.
PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 11:07 PM
46zone
Guttersnipe

I doubt Couturier's cap hit will be that high

46zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 11:14 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
If Giroux was moved to wing he could take important face offs for a while schenn and couts develop part of their game. I know everyone is tired of hearing it but Ryan would be great on girouxs wing. If we could get him for coburn, read, plus next years first and if we had a viable coburn replacement it would be great

Hartnell/Schenn-Giroux-Ryan
Hartnell/Schenn-Couturier-Voracek
XXX-Laughton-Simmonds

Or Ryan could be at left wing and move Laughton to wing and pair him with Couts for a great defensive line.

Ryan-Giroux-Simmonds
Hartnell-Schenn-Voracek
Laughton-Couturier-XXX

Coburn would need to be replaced. Maybe Sbisa could be had with Ryan? While he wouldn't be as good as coburn right now he could be in a year or two
trading away our first the year we actually host the draft seems like a really dumb idea. Sorry if that sounds like an attack at you, it's not. Others have proposed it and I hope it's just because they forgot we host. It just doesn't seem very sensible, especially since we're kinda known for trading away potential for veterans. I have absolutely no problem with acquiring Bobby Ryan...as long as they do it sensibly.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 11:18 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
When I look at Ryan I see JVR. Ryan has been able to put up great numbers but he also played on a line with superstars. Jvr never played a whole season higher than a 3rd liner.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 11:23 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zone View Post
I doubt Couturier's cap hit will be that high
By then the cap will have gone up a little. Though the point stands they should have some cap space to deal with cause I think Couts, Schenn and Gus deals are pretty conservative and Read looks about right. G might get 8 per though.

I would like to see Ryan on here as much as the next guy but the team should look into strengthening other areas first. I'm also not a fan of the Ducks asking price (don't know specifics but it would be high). Right now I'm hoping Schenn turns into a Bobby Ryan type player (winger who can avg around 30 a yr) but still bring the physicality. If that's the case he really won't be needed but It would sure be nice.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 11:24 PM
Phillyfan28

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaFlyers View Post
Guessed on all the expiring contracts but we could be looking at something like this.

FORWARDS
Scott Hartnell ($4.750m) / Claude Giroux ($7.500m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
XXX/Brayden Schenn ($3.500m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Tye McGinn ($1.000m) / Sean Couturier ($3.500m) / Matt Read ($4.000m)
Zac Rinaldo ($0.750m)/ Scott Laughton ($1.107m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.750m)
Jay Rosehill ($0.675m) /Jason Akeson ($0.900m)

DEFENSEMEN
Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m) / Mark Streit ($5.250m)
Luke Schenn ($3.600m)/ Braydon Coburn ($4.500m)
Erik Gustafsson ($1.200m)/XXX
Chris Pronger ($4.941m)

GOALTENDERS
Steve Mason ($2.000m)
XXX

With Pronger's Cap hit: SALARY CAP: $64,300,000;; CAP SPACE: $1,528,978

Without Pronger: CAP SPACE: $6,470,407
Im not sure what is more alarming: that you have Grossman in your top2, Schenn paired with Coburn, or the fact you think Pronger is coming back.

Phillyfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 11:31 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyfan28 View Post
Im not sure what is more alarming: that you have Grossman in your top2, Schenn paired with Coburn, or the fact you think Pronger is coming back.
Pronger's in there for cap hit purposes only. I think everyone knows he's done.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 11:33 PM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyfan28 View Post
Not meant to be the pairings just listing the Defense. Also I realize Pronger is done but his cap hit is still relevant since you can only go over the cap by a certain percentage in the offseason.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 07:41 AM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
trading away our first the year we actually host the draft seems like a really dumb idea. Sorry if that sounds like an attack at you, it's not. Others have proposed it and I hope it's just because they forgot we host. It just doesn't seem very sensible, especially since we're kinda known for trading away potential for veterans. I have absolutely no problem with acquiring Bobby Ryan...as long as they do it sensibly.
I know we are hosting the draft next season, but that isn't going to keep me from moving the pick for the right deal. If i could trade Coburn, Read, and 2014 First for Ryan and Sbisa I would do it and not worry about not having a pick next year.

Schenn-Giroux-Ryan
Hartnell-Couturier-Voracek
Gagne-Laughton-Simmonds
McGinn-Talbot-Rinaldo

Timonen-Schenn
Streit-Sbisa
Gus-Grossmann

That team looks good to me.

Old
06-25-2013, 07:49 AM
Curufinwe

Is Sbisa going to be eating 22 minutes a night?

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 08:11 AM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Is Sbisa going to be eating 22 minutes a night?
Sbisa played 19:50 a game, so almost 3 minutes less a night. But if he keeps progressing he could definitely see 22-23 minutes a night as a solid partner for Streit

Old
06-25-2013, 09:15 AM
GingerFetish

Send a message via Skype™ to GingerFetish
We should put Hartnell on top line the whole pre-season and if expectation isn't met put him on 2nd gives Schenn or Gagne a chance

GingerFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 12:34 PM
Cyborg LeClair
14 28 10 16

vCash: 400
Schenn-Giroux-Voracek
Read-Couturier-Simmonds
Hartnell-Laughton-Akeson
Rosehill-Talbot-Rinaldo

Timonen-Schenn
Coburn-Streit
Grossmann-Gustafsson

Mason
xxxx

Seems fine to me and could change depending on offseason moves and who we draft.
I definitely am in the camp of keeping what we have right now and building through smart free agent purchases and drafting.

I'd rather wait to see if we can get Ryan as a free agent

Cyborg LeClair is offline   Reply With Quote