HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
06-24-2013, 11:24 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

vCash: 50
That. Was. A Mother ****ing. Atrocity.

Old
06-24-2013, 11:29 PM
illninofan*
Jimmies = Unrustled

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
I'd take Toews over Stewart and Shatty any day of the week. I still hate the idea of taking a defensemen #1 overall despite the consensus.
It's easy to think like that, but let's face it: the hawks made more than just one good pick, and that's the real difference between us.

Keith, Kane, Toews, Seabrook, Crawford, Bolland, Saad, Hjalmarsson, Niemi (undrafted fa), Byfuglien, Bickell ...etc. The list goes on. It wasn't just one pick or player (as prolific as some of them are individually).

Toews is great, and no doubt he'd make a difference, but who knows how things might have actually turned out. I think that even if we took Toews instead of Johnson, and drafted everyone else the same (Oshie, Backes, Perron...etc.)...we'd probably still be in a similar position right now.

Chicago drafted extremely well as a whole for both of their cup teams, they then topped it all off with players like Sharp and Hossa to complete the picture (I will say we're probably in a similar position...it'll be much harder for us to get that last piece or two though).

End result: Two rings.

Last edited by illninofan*: 06-24-2013 at 11:49 PM.
Old
06-24-2013, 11:45 PM
BlueDream

I would love to have Toews too, but you can't just think of it like "replace Stewart and Shattenkirk with Toews." It doesn't really work like that. If we had drafted Toews in 2006, the moves after that all might have been different. Do we then take Berglund later on in the 1st? Possibly not. Do we select Eller and Perron in the next draft? Maybe, maybe not. But what I'm saying is if we had Toews, Armstrong would have made different trades than he has. If we didn't have Johnson, does Brewer stay? These are just examples. You can't just say Toews would be on this team instead of Stewart and Shattenkirk and everything else would be the same. I can guarantee it wouldn't.

Maybe we would be better off, but, there's really no point in continuing to fantasize about it. I'd like it too but that's now been 7 years ago. Like others have said, it's not about just one player, you need tons of other pieces. Looking back on that pick we obviously ****ed it up, and I think that's a big reason why Colorado should now go MacKinnon, because they already have an EJ on their team, they don't need two. But I think Armstrong and company are doing a pretty solid team of getting this Blues team in gear.

We have a good team. I really wish we could have gotten to the 3rd round just to test ourselves and see how we fare against Chicago.

Old
06-24-2013, 11:47 PM
BlueDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chojin View Post
Another Cup for Chicago. Meanwhile, the Blues well never even sniff one. So depressing, and so much worse since I live in close proximity to Chicago.
Why are you a fan of this team?

I know Chicago just won the cup, but please let's not turn this forum into a suicide hotline.

Old
06-24-2013, 11:59 PM
Bluesman91

vCash: 2357
I know different moves would have been made if we would have drafted Toews, but he was a perfect piece to build your team around.

Old
06-25-2013, 12:11 AM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

That's my point. I wasn't giving the Blues **** for how that draft unfolded in hindsight or any other numerous hypotheticals. I was merely saying that after two Cups, Chicago drafting Toews was certainly franchise altering.

Old
06-25-2013, 12:25 AM
committedindian86
Flip The Switch

You guys will compete with us every year for the division, it will be fun. Hopefully a WCF at some point

Old
06-25-2013, 01:13 AM
BlueDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by committedindian86 View Post
You guys will compete with us every year for the division, it will be fun. Hopefully a WCF at some point
Thanks. I hope that's the case, that'd be awesome.

Congrats to you on tonight.

Old
06-25-2013, 01:50 AM
Blue Goose
"Hockey Transplant"

Ugh.
At least it's finally the offseason and we can get started with a crazy week of pre-Draft trades.

Seeing Doug Weight win a Cup in '06 was painful enough - who would have thought that would be one of the LEAST painful Cup ceremonies I'd have to endure. I swear it's like the Hockey Gods have just been trolling the Blues and their fans since the 04-05 lockout (when the playoff streak ended), especially those of us that live in Los Angeles... ("What's that, Blues fans? Back-to-back crushing playoff defeats to the Kings wasn't painful enough? Well, let's see if we can twist the knife a little further and award another Cup to Coach Q and your hated arch-rivals. You're welcome!")

Old
06-25-2013, 02:16 AM
BlueDream

The Hockey Gods have been trolling us since 1967.

Old
06-25-2013, 08:24 AM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

I obviously didn't want the Hawks to win, but it's well deserved. They were the best team from start to finish, and put together a great season. I'm ready for next year already.

Old
06-25-2013, 08:26 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

At least the draft is soon so this crappy feeling won't last long. Actually with buyouts and moves before the draft, this feeling won't last long at all.

Old
06-25-2013, 09:28 AM
Thallis
We suck again!

Send a message via MSN to Thallis
The good news here is with how ridiculously late into the summer this final went, the cup hangover is sure to be massive. The new goalie pad regulations should also help us (Or at least hurt us less than any other team in the division). I'm actually pretty confident we'll win the division next year, even if we don't make any moves this summer.

Old
06-25-2013, 09:49 AM
Chojin
Tiny Panger...

vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
Why are you a fan of this team?

I know Chicago just won the cup, but please let's not turn this forum into a suicide hotline.
When was the last time a budget team made it to the Cup Final? Carolina in 05-06? I'm not sure if that even counts, since everything was all out-of-whack right after the lockout.

The teams that win the Cup are able to supplement their core with high-end free agents. With our budget, that'll never happen. Hell, the last big free-agent signing we had was Paul Kariya (no, Keith Tkachuk doesn't count).

I really hope I'm wrong, but unless we get some rich oil tycoon to buy the team or the Laurie's want back in, we don't have a chance.

Old
06-25-2013, 10:03 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
When was the last time a budget team made it to the Cup Final? Carolina in 05-06? I'm not sure if that even counts, since everything was all out-of-whack right after the lockout.

The teams that win the Cup are able to supplement their core with high-end free agents. With our budget, that'll never happen. Hell, the last big free-agent signing we had was Paul Kariya (no, Keith Tkachuk doesn't count).

I really hope I'm wrong, but unless we get some rich oil tycoon to buy the team or the Laurie's want back in, we don't have a chance.
We are going to be within a few million of the cap next season if everyone is currently retained. We did get Bouwmeester, it's not like we haven't been adding anyone.

Old
06-25-2013, 10:17 AM
TK 421
Donut Squad

vCash: 758
Quote:

While it's true that the Blues operate as a budget team most of the time, they have given us recent evidence that ownership will put money into a team that can contend(Bouwmeester,Leopold). They might only be willing to do that for 2-3 years, but they clearly are willing to as of right now while we have a legit chance to contend.

Old
06-25-2013, 11:03 AM
Chojin
Tiny Panger...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK 421 View Post
While it's true that the Blues operate as a budget team most of the time, they have given us recent evidence that ownership will put money into a team that can contend(Bouwmeester,Leopold). They might only be willing to do that for 2-3 years, but they clearly are willing to as of right now while we have a legit chance to contend.
I really do hope you're right, but I'm always super pessimistic this time of year.

Old
06-25-2013, 11:35 AM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
Our 2 best forward prospects just finished their rookie year. Our window truly opens when those guys are ready to compete.

Old
06-25-2013, 12:06 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Bryzgalov is being bought out.

Old
06-25-2013, 01:09 PM
Chojin
Tiny Panger...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
I almost feel bad for him. At least he has his millions of dollars to comfort him.

With their ridiculous center depth, the Blues and Flyers might make a good trading partners. I wouldn't mind seeing one of Halak or Elliott moved for the right piece.

Old
06-25-2013, 01:20 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
I almost feel bad for him. At least he has his millions of dollars to comfort him.

With their ridiculous center depth, the Blues and Flyers might make a good trading partners. I wouldn't mind seeing one of Halak or Elliott moved for the right piece.
He's going to get all that money from Philly, plus whatever his new contract is, no one should feel bad for him. Plus, he doesn't have to play behind Philly's "defense" anymore.

Old
06-25-2013, 01:41 PM
Linus

I wish the Blues had as much resiliency as the Blackhawks. They had a great year and definitely earned the cup. It's going to suck having to hear "Stanley Cup Champions Chicago Blackhawks" all year, but you could see their win coming from a mile away.

On another note...
Quote:
Frank Seravalli ‏@DNFlyers 1h

Flyers will pay Ilya Bryzgalov approximately $1.63M each of the next 14 yrs to not play for team.
Wow. Bryzgalov is getting a pretty sweet deal. He didn't seem to enjoy playing in Philly very much; he was always complaining. He gets out of his contract and is getting paid over 1.5 mil/year for the next 14 years. Holy crap. And I'm sure he'll go someplace with a lot less pressure, like Phoenix, and benefit from their defense.

Old
06-25-2013, 02:32 PM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
It worries me a little bit that we may have to overpay Pietrangelo from a Philly offer sheet. I really wish Army would just get his contract over with.

Old
06-25-2013, 02:34 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
It worries me a little bit that we may have to overpay Pietrangelo from a Philly offer sheet. I really wish Army would just get his contract over with.
Watch Army troll Holmgren and announce the deal right before free agency opens.

Old
06-25-2013, 03:50 PM
Bruv
Loveless

Are there any real rumors about Philly throwing an offer sheet at Pietro?

Closed Thread