HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hawks win the Cup/Boston loses the cup?

Old
06-25-2013, 12:11 AM
SouthernHab
jak się masz

vCash: 500
Glad to see the Bruins eliminated in the same way the Leafs were eliminated.

Justice.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 12:13 AM
Dont Poke Subban
Fall is coming

Lol @ Hawks fans for wanting to get rid of Bolland during the regular season. I'd kill for a moment he had tonight. The way he scored that cup winning goal is really something special. Way better than Kane's 3 years ago.

Dont Poke Subban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 12:13 AM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Or you need the rest of the league to give you some gifts....Chara....Seguin, Rask, Hamilton, Paille, Campbell, Horton etc.
We'll see. I hate using the Booins as an example. Just hate them.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 12:15 AM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post
Also funny that someone around here was arguing that Shaw wasn't a key player for the Hawks. I think he was...
He's still a POS roid raging meat head. I wouldn't want him on my team. Bickell on the other hand..

Jmac1160* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 12:15 AM
SouthernHab
jak się masz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
Seeing Pierre Gauthier made me sick to my stomach.
Ditto.

Old
06-25-2013, 12:17 AM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Yup, we're a far way from these two teams.

How are we going to make up the gap?

- UFA's? Have a hard time signing big time players, and have to overpay for regular players.

- Trades? Don't have an abundance of assets to give out (our farm is finally shoring up, it'll take a few years before we have something to show for it)

- Draft? Don't think we're bad enough to pick in the lotteries. Have to rely on Timmins pulling some miracles.

It's gonna take a few years for us to reach that level.
we do have the assets but we arent dumb enough to trade them thank god

and we have like what 5 or 6 picks in the first 3 rounds? Please

Jmac1160* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
I'm also glad because a ''skill and speed team'' just beat 2 ''big/rough/physical teams'' in rounds 3 and 4. Yes, Chicago has some big guys, but their identity is a speed and skill game.

NHL hockey would have probably become fairly ugly if the Bruins had won again. Virtually everyone would have tried to copy them - with most teams having nowhere near the same personnel.

Thank god.
The Habs enjoyed success against the Bruins in the regular season in precisely the same way, although they're a scaled down version of the Hawks.

I don't gloat over the Bruins' loss. They eliminated the Penguins and they competed with the best team in the NHL very closely. The only things I gloat about is that Spearnose, Monsieur Méchant, didn't get a single point in the finals, and that the ogre, Monsieur Chara, was victimized for so many goals against. Their other thug, Monsieur Lou Cheech, had a very good run.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SouthernHab
jak się masz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
Title should be "Bruins lose the cup".

So glad Chicago won!

EDIT: wow Leddy's girlfriend is a baaabe
After sitting on the bench for so long tonight without any ice time, he will have lots of energy for "later".

Old
06-25-2013, 12:19 AM
windycity

Shaw is a dirty POS but he was pretty effective.

Heard funny line from Toews about him - apparently he calls him the best 19th round pick ever (he was passed over 2 years he was draft eligible)

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 12:20 AM
windycity

Kane's GF looked pretty good too

Old
06-25-2013, 12:21 AM
SouthernHab
jak się masz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Hawks just had too much skill for the Bruins in the end. No matter how much the Bruins clogged the neutral zone and protected the blueline, the Hawks always found the seams and lanes and broke through with their speed. The only way to contain the Hawks was to keep them in their zone and their big-guns away from the puck, but even at that, it just wasn't enough.
It wasnt speed that won the game for them tonight.

It was crashing the net.

The first goal........yes, it was speed (and a bonehead play by Chara ).

Those last two goals. That wasnt speed. That was grit from a hungry team who realized that the only way to score goals is to get in the very dirty area.

The Hawks beat the Bruins at their own game with crashing the net.

Old
06-25-2013, 12:21 AM
groovejuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
Let's accumulate the Kristo's! We'll beat them with our speed! And if it doesn't work out, we'll be fiesty like Kristo and throw pucks at the other bench!
Apparently you are incapable of recognizing that skill won over meat. Your sarcasm is disingenuous and quite frankly, infantile

groovejuice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 12:22 AM
Nicko999

vCash: 139
Tonight was glorious!!!

Nicko999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 12:23 AM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
It wasnt speed that won the game for them tonight.

It was crashing the net.

The first goal........yes, it was speed (and a bonehead play by Chara ).

Those last two goals. That wasnt speed. That was grit from a hungry team who realized that the only way to score goals is to get in the very dirty area.

The Hawks beat the Bruins at their own game with crashing the net.
speed isn't just about straightaway speed, it's about being quicker to the puck too and the Hawks were buzzing in that 20 seconds or so

Old
06-25-2013, 12:24 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Bickell and Bolland with the 2 big goals in the end. With skilled players like Toews, Kane and Hossa. So I have no problem saying that speed and skills still wins...but geez, that means top 10 players in the league speed and skill. Since it's tougher to get those as you can't finish bottom 5 in Montreal 2 or 3 years in a row, somehow, it tells me that it's easier to build a team with speed, skills and a great mix, things you can build elsewhere than with a top 5 pick.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 12:26 AM
KerryFraser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Ditto.
Seeing Bergevin not being in this celebration can be also a thing a little hard for him right now.

I don't think Gauthier was a key as Bergie was for building this winning team. It's the positive side to look.

KerryFraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 12:27 AM
windycity

On the plus side for Bruins fans, Chara hasn't been on the ice for a goal against since the game ended

Old
06-25-2013, 12:28 AM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toshio View Post
Lol @ Hawks fans for wanting to get rid of Bolland during the regular season. I'd kill for a moment he had tonight. The way he scored that cup winning goal is really something special. Way better than Kane's 3 years ago.
He has pretty good playoffs stats for a bottom 6 guys (43pts in 67 games). The guy always a way to be useful and score important goals in the playoffs.

Rosso Scuderia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 12:30 AM
windycity

Bolland is a good player but Pleky is better

Old
06-25-2013, 12:31 AM
StellerEller
DeadliestSekac

vCash: 351
This draft + Bruins loss + Potential to snag a solid player from Chicago = awesome

StellerEller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 12:32 AM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Bickell and Bolland with the 2 big goals in the end. With skilled players like Toews, Kane and Hossa. So I have no problem saying that speed and skills still wins...but geez, that means top 10 players in the league speed and skill. Since it's tougher to get those as you can't finish bottom 5 in Montreal 2 or 3 years in a row, somehow, it tells me that it's easier to build a team with speed, skills and a great mix, things you can build elsewhere than with a top 5 pick.
My point of view, exactly. 3 franchise players. We're not getting that anytime soon. It's not going to come through UFA neither is it going to come from trades. Might as well keep fixing the holes we can, trust Timmins for the draft, and hope for the best, instead of adding what we already have in guys like Bouchard, Elias, or Briere.

HiggsBozon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 12:34 AM
StellerEller
DeadliestSekac

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
My point of view, exactly. 3 franchise players. We're not getting that anytime soon. It's not going to come through UFA neither is it going to come from trades. Might as well keep fixing the holes we can, trust Timmins for the draft, and hope for the best, instead of adding what we already have in guys like Bouchard, Elias, or Briere.
Subban is a franchise player.

Galchenyuk could be.

Price still has a chance to prove himself, otherwise he's simply a #1 goalie.

We're not too far off.

I agree the Draft if the key to achieving elite status though. Nice post.

Old
06-25-2013, 12:45 AM
DJ Breadman

****ing love boston not winning

DJ Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 12:49 AM
groovejuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Scuderia View Post
He has pretty good playoffs stats for a bottom 6 guys (43pts in 67 games). The guy always a way to be useful and score important goals in the playoffs.
Size and strength are much more valuable assets if some skill is added into the formula.

Let's not discount coaching though. I love that the Hawks attacked Chara in the Bruin's end. This is an unusual strategy and took Boston off their game. The whole Boston defensive strategy is formulated around Chara. The Hawks slowed him down, knocked him to the ice and this put the rest of the Bs D racing to compensate. This opened up space that normally would be iron clad. A dangerous plan but a daring one.

Forgetting for a second that we lost early, this was a very exciting and successful (TV) playoff season and ergo we can maybe expect a salary cap north of $70M next year.

groovejuice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 12:51 AM
StellerEller
DeadliestSekac

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
Size and strength are much more valuable assets if some skill is added into the formula.

Let's not discount coaching though. I love that the Hawks attacked Chara in the Bruin's end. This is an unusual strategy and took Boston off their game. The whole Boston defensive strategy is formulated around Chara. The Hawks slowed him down, knocked him to the ice and this put the rest of the Bs D racing to compensate. This opened up space that normally would be iron clad. A dangerous plan but a daring one.

Forgetting for a second that we lost early, this was a very exciting and successful (TV) playoff season and ergo we can maybe expect a salary cap north of $70M next year.
Excellent point. That's what we need to do against them, especially since we're getting bigger and Chara is getting older.