Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Finland
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Finnish Top Prospects ( In Future)

Closed Thread

Old
06-25-2013, 02:57 AM
edd1e

vCash: 500
My top 5 not drafted finns based on potential.

1. Barkov
2. Puljujärvi
3. Ristolainen
4. Saarela
5. Kapanen

Hm. Lehkonen

Puljujärvi is huge wild card because of his age.

Old
06-25-2013, 06:45 AM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjtt View Post
In the latest Leijonat-magazine Puljujärvi said that he is 187cm, 81kilos now and projected to grow around 195cm.
187cm +195cm would make him the tallest man ever! If he also can skate and play some ice hockey he will be unstoppable!

Old
06-25-2013, 09:09 PM
Emppu

Wow, impressive stats and size

Old
06-26-2013, 12:53 AM
FinProspects

195cm player who can skate and score goals.. Hmmmmmmm

Old
06-26-2013, 03:21 PM
Keke

Who are the most talented -99 Born Players? I know Vaakanainen is hyped a lot mit are there any other great Players. They are very young but they start their National team career next year

Old
06-27-2013, 09:44 AM
f1nn

vCash: 1312
Send a message via AIM to f1nn
Quote:
In the latest Leijonat-magazine Puljujärvi said that he is 187cm, 81kilos now and projected to grow around 195cm.

Same measurements listed here http://www.lounaislappi.fi/uutiset/j...jaa-maailmalla

Eliteprospects list him as 184cm, 75 kilos
That's how tall I was at his age and they gave me same projections.. but I never grew another cm

Old
06-28-2013, 11:23 AM
Eyelanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiGician View Post
Who are the most talented -99 Born Players? I know Vaakanainen is hyped a lot mit are there any other great Players. They are very young but they start their National team career next year
Kristian Vesalainen (HIFK) played well with the U16 team this past season. Tall forward with good skating, quick shot and played a solid game at both ends of the ice. Joel Kerkkänen of HIFK also is a good player, but I have not seen him as much.

Old
06-30-2013, 08:44 AM
Needles

Quote:
Originally Posted by edd1e View Post

1. Barkov
2. Puljujärvi
3. Ristolainen
4. Saarela
5. Kapanen

Hm. Lehkonen

Hopefully Saarela follows Olli Määttä's example and goes to CHL. I doubt he get's to play many SM-liiga games next year and our junior leagues suck. Joining a great organisation like London Knights or Kitchener Rangers could be the best decision of his life.

But since he's played three SM-liiga games, is he eligible for CHL?

Old
06-30-2013, 10:01 AM
YARR123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needles View Post
Hopefully Saarela follows Olli Määttä's example and goes to CHL. I doubt he get's to play many SM-liiga games next year and our junior leagues suck. Joining a great organisation like London Knights or Kitchener Rangers could be the best decision of his life.

There's plenty of examples of players moving to play in the CHL after playing SM-liiga games, the CHL doesn't care wether a player has played professionally before playing in the league.

I don't agree with your post. Firstly, he's may get a roster spot, since he looked very good in the 3 games he played last year, and his development has been incredibly fast in the last couple of years. He basically played himself from jr. C to SM-liiga in a year. Also if he's not good enough to get a roster spot, Jr. A is competitive enough that the level isn't too weak for him. If jr. A is too weak for a player, it's pretty much guaranteed that that player is good enough to play in the Sm-liiga, and vice versa.

Old
06-30-2013, 10:28 AM
Needles

Quote:
Originally Posted by YARR123 View Post
I don't agree with your post. Firstly, he's may get a roster spot, since he looked very good in the 3 games he played last year, and his development has been incredibly fast in the last couple of years. He basically played himself from jr. C to SM-liiga in a year. Also if he's not good enough to get a roster spot, Jr. A is competitive enough that the level isn't too weak for him. If jr. A is too weak for a player, it's pretty much guaranteed that that player is good enough to play in the Sm-liiga, and vice versa.
I don't know about that. Lukko's top 9 is pretty stacked already (they aquired Toni Koivisto & Ville Vahalahti) and Saarela could already be to good for A-SM. CHL should be an option for him IMO.

Last edited by Needles: 06-30-2013 at 10:38 AM.
Old
06-30-2013, 10:46 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:

Only applies to NCAA.

Old
06-30-2013, 10:48 AM
JJTT

Quote:
I don't know about that. Lukko's top 9 is pretty stacked already (they aquired Toni Koivisto & Ville Vahalahti) and Saarela could already be to good for A-SM. CHL should be an option for him IMO.
http://www.eliteprospects.com/team.php?team=45

Just look at that roster, they don't have any top 6-centers so i'm pretty sure Saarela will get a change.
Also Saarela is too young for chl this year, import draft is for 95's and 96's. Maybe next year.

Old
06-30-2013, 11:45 AM
LoveHateLeafs

Maybe he might consider the USHL, which is a pretty good league in it's own right

Old
06-30-2013, 12:22 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by edd1e View Post

1. Barkov
2. Puljujärvi
3. Ristolainen
4. Saarela
5. Kapanen

Hm. Lehkonen

Why is Ristolainen ahead of Saarela?

Old
06-30-2013, 12:23 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveHateLeafs View Post
Maybe he might consider the USHL, which is a pretty good league in it's own right
Only if he goes the NCAA route like Erik Haula would he do that, I think.

Old
06-30-2013, 12:38 PM
Needles

Quote:
http://www.eliteprospects.com/team.php?team=45

Just look at that roster, they don't have any top 6-centers so i'm pretty sure Saarela will get a change.
Risto Dufva is not going to play 16yo Saarela as a top6 centre. Since he's not 190cm/95kg center with solid two way game like Barkov.

Does Lukko have a Mestis affiliate?

Old
06-30-2013, 02:03 PM
YARR123

Quote:
Sure, the CHL is definitely an option, but there are so many mental aspects to consider that IMO it's really hard to say from the outside wether it's good or bad for a player. I think that in today's SM-liiga a team has to be very stacked that a player who is too good for jr.A doesn't get a roster spot. It could happen though, especially if there are no injuries and the coach doesn't want to give young players a lot of responsibility (in this case it's unlikely, as it's coach Dufva who already said last year that Saarela is ready for the SM-liiga. In that sense the CHL could provide a good middle ground in terms of level of play while still having elite level of competitiveness and coaching.

Old
06-30-2013, 02:07 PM
YARR123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
Why is Ristolainen ahead of Saarela?
I'm guessing it's because Ristolainen is a way more established player, and according to many accounts he's close to NHL ready and is very likely to play a solid NHL career

Old
06-30-2013, 09:27 PM
Needles

I'm pretty surprised that Juuso Ikonen went undrafted. Well, I guess there's always next year.

Old
06-30-2013, 10:08 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
I'm pretty surprised that Juuso Ikonen went undrafted. Well, I guess there's always next year.
Unless he puts up 50-60 points (or big points at WJC) and/or grows about 5 cm, I doubt he'll get drafted.

Old
07-01-2013, 01:24 AM
Tormentor

Quote:
I'm pretty surprised that Juuso Ikonen went undrafted.
I made the following comment on my draft preview in here:

"Might be worth a late round flyer, but it wouldn't surprise me too much if many teams have dropped him of their draft list altogether."

Size still matters in the NHL and you have to be extra special to be ranked high if you are 5'7'' or so. Some teams might've had him at the backend of their list, but just didn't get far down enough to draft him.

I watched several of Ikonen's SM-liiga games and apart from few flashes here and there he often disappeared to the background and was pretty ineffective in many things he did on the ice. At the top hockey is a percentage game and that's something that Ikonen is struggling at, largely due to his diminutive frame.

Old
07-01-2013, 01:43 AM
Haite
x

vCash: 2465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormentor View Post
5'7'' or so
5'9'' as per sm-liiga.fi.

Old
07-01-2013, 01:47 AM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haite View Post
5'9'' as per sm-liiga.fi.
And I drive a Ferrari.

Old
07-01-2013, 01:51 AM
thomast

Tomentor give us little report on Saku Mäenalanen. He got drafted as overager.

Old
07-01-2013, 01:58 AM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
Tomentor give us little report on Saku Mäenalanen. He got drafted as overager.
Saku Mäenalanen (Kärpät)
A 2nd year eligible and one of the few bright spots in Finnish Jr.A this season. Started the season in a smaller role, but quite quickly got promoted to the 1st line. Showed good development throughout the season and in the end was only 3 points shy from the scoring title. Has been one of Finland’s top players with the U19 national team recently and is a candidate for the next WJC team. Good agility, acceleration and pivots, a powerful straight line skater. Decent wrister with a good release, has some nose around the net. Pretty good hands, usually gets the puck under control quickly and is capable of controlling it in tight and in full speed. Displays some creativity and set up ability. Plays in traffic, is capable of playing the body along the boards, and goes keenly after loose pucks. Works the cycle quite well. Plays both ways, has good effort level, applies pressure and is an active checker. Will take a hit to make a play. Needs to become stronger on his skates and add muscle to his 6’3’’ frame. Didn’t face high level competition on a regular basis so his upside is still a slight mystery, but he fulfils the characteristics of a potential late bloomer. Two years ago he wasn’t good enough for Kärpät’s U18 team, but now has a 3 year pro contract with their men’s team.

Closed Thread