HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Downey taken to hospital

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-17-2006, 10:31 PM
  #26
5 man unit
Registered User
 
5 man unit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
I thought the league would clamp down on hits at the head?!? Wasn't that what was said before the season???
I was a shoulder. Downey had his head down. If they clamp down on that, they need to take hitting out of the game.

Anyways, I hope he recovers well and doesn't have too many lingering affects.

5 man unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 10:43 PM
  #27
Ghost of Saku
Registered User
 
Ghost of Saku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,316
vCash: 500
After watching the replay on tsn and lcn, I think the hit was clean. I was at the game tonight and it was a monster hit and Downey lay motionless on the ice for a good while, it was scary. You never know with a hit like that. All it takes is a snapped neck or something and you're dead. I was damn glad to see him start moving and being able to get up (with help) after the hit. I'd like to give points to Komisarek and Begin for wanting to drop the gloves to stand up for their team-mate but the refs would have none of it.

Anyways, good, exciting game, with an unfortunate incident.

Ghost of Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 10:46 PM
  #28
Habbadasher
Registered User
 
Habbadasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: My couch
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,699
vCash: 500
I wish him a speedy recovery

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 10:52 PM
  #29
deandebean
Registered User
 
deandebean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gatineau, cālisse
Country: uriname
Posts: 9,847
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 man unit View Post
I was a shoulder. Downey had his head down. If they clamp down on that, they need to take hitting out of the game.

Anyways, I hope he recovers well and doesn't have too many lingering affects.
You can hit with the shoulder, but you cannot hit the head with it. It was explained by our super great friend McGuire on TSN the other night. Hit the body, for sure. But forget about the head.

Actually, it shouldn't be allowed. Hitting the head is as bad as a boarding.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 10:55 PM
  #30
filfren
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: QC city
Country: Canada
Posts: 90
vCash: 500
So, if downey is out for a while, who will get the call in hamilton?

Kost, ferland or Lapierre?

filfren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 11:02 PM
  #31
marvelousmotion
Registered User
 
marvelousmotion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 759
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by filfren View Post
So, if downey is out for a while, who will get the call in hamilton?

Kost, ferland or Lapierre?
Definitely Lapierre.. He easily brings the most in a fourth line role out of the 3.

Kostitsyn would look out of place with Begin and Latendresse. I'd say either Lapierre or Ferland, and between the two, Lapierre is the better player. They both add good size and grit, but Lapierre has better wheels and is more of a pest to play against imo.

Latendresse - Begin - Lapierre
or
Latendresse - Begin - Ferland

Either way, an all Quebecers line.. I'm sure it's going to please quite a lot of people.

marvelousmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 11:06 PM
  #32
madbox
Registered User
 
madbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,374
vCash: 500
I'd go with Ferland to fill the spot on the 4th line, his camp + pre-season earned an early call-up, IMO. Wouldn't mind Lapierre though. Can't see Kosty playing that much if it were him.

madbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 11:11 PM
  #33
White Snake*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 267
vCash: 500
Downey, get well soon buddy.

White Snake* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 11:20 PM
  #34
Souffle
A soupēon of nutmeg
 
Souffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Le Creuset
Country: France
Posts: 3,490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
i honestly think downey is gone for the season .

you dont take a hit like that and come back next week or month .
monster hit just to bad it turned out the way it did for downey but thats hockey .
It could be a career-ender. He's had a lot of concussions in the past, and they tend to be cumulative. I think this opens up a long-term, if not permanent roster spot.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 11:22 PM
  #35
Tucker316*
 
Tucker316*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,932
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Tucker316*
Guys, we're not gonna call anyone up, as we still have Murray. Garth will play, and rightfully so. We need that toughness. We dont need more guys that dont really bring much to the table.

Tucker316* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 11:24 PM
  #36
filfren
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: QC city
Country: Canada
Posts: 90
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker316 View Post
Guys, we're not gonna call anyone up, as we still have Murray. Garth will play, and rightfully so. We need that toughness. We dont need more guys that dont really bring much to the table.
Yeah but they still need somebody ready to fill in if a player is hurt in practice or if he get sick on gameday...

filfren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 11:27 PM
  #37
CareyClutch
Doing the job
 
CareyClutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: North Korea
Posts: 4,945
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by filfren View Post
So, if downey is out for a while, who will get the call in hamilton?

Kost, ferland or Lapierre?
murray ?

CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 11:29 PM
  #38
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!
 
Le Tricolore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 29,350
vCash: 152
I wish him the best. That was a vicious hit.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 11:30 PM
  #39
Habitants
Registered User
 
Habitants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,182
vCash: 500
am i crazy or did he play a shift after gettign hammered? i think i just got confused with a replay or something. yeah he looks done, for like a good chunk of time probably, some weeks maybe month plus at least. it looked bad.
wish him the best!

i say give the call to lapiere

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 11:32 PM
  #40
Avant-Gardien
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Cambridge, MA
Country: Canada
Posts: 442
vCash: 500
He definitely was not coming back on the ice after that one.

I'd feel comfortable letting Murray go solo on that line for a few games, and only then if he doesn't play up to expectations, open the door for either Lapierre or Ferland.

Avant-Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 11:32 PM
  #41
znk
Registered User
 
znk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitants View Post
am i crazy or did he play a shift after gettign hammered? i think i just got confused with a replay or something. yeah he looks done, for like a good chunk of time probably, some weeks maybe month plus at least. it looked bad.
wish him the best!

i say give the call to lapiere
You are indeed crazy.


Anyway...I think he's done for the year....maybe his careere (from what I heard he was about 1 concussion away)

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 11:33 PM
  #42
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,199
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitants View Post
am i crazy or did he play a shift after gettign hammered?
Definitely not. I'm betting he didn't even know what planet he was on after the hit.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 04:24 AM
  #43
Qui Gon Dave
Registered User
 
Qui Gon Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cheshire, England
Country: England
Posts: 8,504
vCash: 500
Just saw the replay this morning and it was a huge hit. No idea if it was late from what I saw, one angle doesn't show the puck and the other is in slow motion after the puck has been played. I don't expect him back any time soon if he has a history of concussions as has been mentioned. But I hope he can come back at some point, he plays hard, sticks up for his team and seems to love having the CH on his chest. If at all possible, I wish him a quick recovery. Failing that, a complete recovery. I hope he pulls through it.

As for people getting a call from Hamilton, I expect Gainey and Carbo won't do anything until they know just how bad it is (so wait til the tests are done) and they know if his recovery is going to take weeks, months, a year, etc. Once they do, I expect Ferland would be called up, although he would have to clear waivers. I assume Bob will be willing to do that and not play it safe and recall Lapierre who doesn't need to go through waivers. As for Kostitsyn, as others have said, he won't get the call. An occassional 4th line spot isn't a job that he will be called up for. Although I can see why someone might think Kost would get the shot with all the talk on here about "oh, just you wait, there will be injuries and he will be back in Montreal" after he was sent down. The only shot he has (in my opinion) is if one of the top six guys gets injured.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 07:25 AM
  #44
Gros Bill
Registered User
 
Gros Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Rwanda
Posts: 5,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
Just saw the replay this morning and it was a huge hit. No idea if it was late from what I saw, one angle doesn't show the puck and the other is in slow motion after the puck has been played. I don't expect him back any time soon if he has a history of concussions as has been mentioned. But I hope he can come back at some point, he plays hard, sticks up for his team and seems to love having the CH on his chest. If at all possible, I wish him a quick recovery. Failing that, a complete recovery. I hope he pulls through it.

As for people getting a call from Hamilton, I expect Gainey and Carbo won't do anything until they know just how bad it is (so wait til the tests are done) and they know if his recovery is going to take weeks, months, a year, etc. Once they do, I expect Ferland would be called up, although he would have to clear waivers. I assume Bob will be willing to do that and not play it safe and recall Lapierre who doesn't need to go through waivers. As for Kostitsyn, as others have said, he won't get the call. An occassional 4th line spot isn't a job that he will be called up for. Although I can see why someone might think Kost would get the shot with all the talk on here about "oh, just you wait, there will be injuries and he will be back in Montreal" after he was sent down. The only shot he has (in my opinion) is if one of the top six guys gets injured.

Totally agree on your first paragraph. I'll only add good luck Aaron.

But I suspect the Habs will call up another (4th line) forward ASAP, maybe even for tonight. They can't afford to wait, as they are down to 12 forwards right now.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 07:54 AM
  #45
Qui Gon Dave
Registered User
 
Qui Gon Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cheshire, England
Country: England
Posts: 8,504
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
Totally agree on your first paragraph. I'll only add good luck Aaron.

But I suspect the Habs will call up another (4th line) forward ASAP, maybe even for tonight. They can't afford to wait, as they are down to 12 forwards right now.
I think for the sake of tonights game, they can afford to wait. Reason being that in Hamilton we don't have anybody who would be a 'straight' swap for Downey (by straight, I mean that provides the exact same style of play). That leaves the various other 4th line - role players like Ferland and Lapierre. Can they offer us anything that Murray, who is already with the team, can't? Presonally, I'd say no. So for the sake of tonights game, play Murray against Chicago, get back home, see how Downey is and then make the required adjustments in time for the Colorado game at home.

If, however, we were about to set off on a long road trip starting tonight then I'd agree that getting someone into the team (active or not) would be more important. But as the next game is at home on Saturday, I think management can afford to take its time on deciding who to call up and have Murray plug the gap on the 4th for this 1 game.

Just curious, why do you feel we can't afford to wait to bring up another player when we have a full compliment of forwards at the moment? The only reason I can think of is you might not want Murray to play against Chicago but I can't think of a reason as to why, so I'm a bit stumped.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 08:03 AM
  #46
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 9,285
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
I think for the sake of tonights game, they can afford to wait. Reason being that in Hamilton we don't have anybody who would be a 'straight' swap for Downey (by straight, I mean that provides the exact same style of play). That leaves the various other 4th line - role players like Ferland and Lapierre. Can they offer us anything that Murray, who is already with the team, can't? Presonally, I'd say no. So for the sake of tonights game, play Murray against Chicago, get back home, see how Downey is and then make the required adjustments in time for the Colorado game at home.

If, however, we were about to set off on a long road trip starting tonight then I'd agree that getting someone into the team (active or not) would be more important. But as the next game is at home on Saturday, I think management can afford to take its time on deciding who to call up and have Murray plug the gap on the 4th for this 1 game.

Just curious, why do you feel we can't afford to wait to bring up another player when we have a full compliment of forwards at the moment? The only reason I can think of is you might not want Murray to play against Chicago but I can't think of a reason as to why, so I'm a bit stumped.
Excellent post.

They need to evaluate Downey before they can put him on IR (and hence keep him out for a week), which would free up a roster spot to call someone up. Either that, or they would have to put Dandenault on IR, but I'm not sure they know how long he'll be out. Either way, it's going to be at least another day before they can make a call-up.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 08:07 AM
  #47
filfren
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: QC city
Country: Canada
Posts: 90
vCash: 500
I'm pretty sure the habs have a free roster spot since they sent traverse down...

filfren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 08:09 AM
  #48
Tuggy
Registered User
 
Tuggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Saint John
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,645
vCash: 50
Hopefully Mr. Downey will be alright.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 08:13 AM
  #49
Drive425
Registered User
 
Drive425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: St Louis Du Haha
Country: Malta
Posts: 1,993
vCash: 500
As far as I'm concerned any head shot should be penalized. Funny thing is the Habs ended up 1 man down after that. Word on Downey was that it's a severe concussion and he didn't know which city he was in after the hit. I'm afraid this could be a lengthy injury. Damn concussions ruin careers, why do they let these types of hits go without punishment?

I hope you have a speedy recovery Downey!

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 08:13 AM
  #50
Transported Upstater
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Take care, all. :)
Country: United States
Posts: 22,983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_sanch View Post
After watching the replay on tsn and lcn, I think the hit was clean. I was at the game tonight and it was a monster hit and Downey lay motionless on the ice for a good while, it was scary. You never know with a hit like that. All it takes is a snapped neck or something and you're dead. I was damn glad to see him start moving and being able to get up (with help) after the hit. I'd like to give points to Komisarek and Begin for wanting to drop the gloves to stand up for their team-mate but the refs would have none of it.

Anyways, good, exciting game, with an unfortunate incident.
It wasn't a monster hit. It was Regehr.

Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:56 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.