HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2013 Offseason Thread Part IV: SCF, end. Trades, begin.

Closed Thread

Old
06-25-2013, 09:12 AM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetterJ View Post
And Brent Burns fetched Charlie Coyle, Devin Setoguchi and a first rounder. That deal and the Goligoski deal make me feel that Slats, if he chooses to deal MDZ, will surprise us with the return. Maybe it`s just wishful thinking on my part :shrug:
I agree with you. We're talking about a 22-year ild, 40+ point puck mover that is cost-controlled and has a TON of room to grow. Look at what Streit was valued at, as a 35-year old who is on a downward trend. MDZ's value is definitely through the roof.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
Old
06-25-2013, 09:13 AM
Josh3217

vCash: 500
Drouin won't drop to 5th overall

Old
06-25-2013, 09:15 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh3217 View Post
Drouin won't drop to 5th overall
Just like Fowler... errr, Tarasenko... errr, Cherepanov.. err, Gormely will never fall out of the top 5.

It's not likely, but you really never know.

Old
06-25-2013, 09:22 AM
MacTruck
In Gordie We Trust

It's all about needs. Seth Jones could very likely fall out of the top 3. There are so many good players in this draft that if the Rangers somehow land a 5-10 pick, I'm fairly confident that whoever they pick will be a full-time NHLer within a year or two and will make a legitimate impact.

Old
06-25-2013, 09:22 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Profile of Sean Monahan. http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/...22RgnM.twitter

Old
06-25-2013, 09:25 AM
Josh3217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Just like Fowler... errr, Tarasenko... errr, Cherepanov.. err, Gormely will never fall out of the top 5.

It's not likely, but you really never know.
You are completely right. Grigorenko is the same thing. Drouin is amazing though, don't see him dropping.

Old
06-25-2013, 09:31 AM
Crease

Late to the party. Is there any indication that the Rangers are considering moving up to the first round, or staying put with their current basket of picks?

Old
06-25-2013, 09:33 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Late to the party. Is there any indication that the Rangers are considering moving up to the first round, or staying put with their current basket of picks?
Nothing tangible. Front office is tight lipped as usual.

Old
06-25-2013, 09:38 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
To be fair, its a lot easier to build out that supporting cast when Kane, Toews, and Hossa are anchoring the top of the lineup.
Toews had one goal entering the finals. He ended up with 3. Kane scored 7 of his 9 playoff goals in 7 games. From game 4 in LA series to game 5 in the finals. The other players picked up and covered for those guys. The Hawks are more than 3 players.

Old
06-25-2013, 09:50 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

The model for winning the cup changes every year. One year it's puck possession, then it's dump and chase, then it's the trap. You can't win without an elite goalie, then goalies are just supplementary pieces. You need a franchise center, then Boston wins with 3 second tier centers. There's no method to the madness. Sometimes your best players aren't even your best players when it's crunch time.

Old
06-25-2013, 09:51 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
you think Staal will get dealt at the draft or during the summer??? i doubt he gets dealt unless he plays a coupe of weeks or even a few months without getting hurt... I doubt the Canes or another team takes that chance.
I wont be shocked at a big deal at the draft. I agree he needs to be healthy but if anyone knows its his brothers in Carolina. If I am Sather I say Staal, Pyatt, a pick for the 5th overall and Faulk. If they say no, oh well keep him, darn!

Staal is awesome but they have to atleast entertain a trade they cant refuse.

Old
06-25-2013, 09:53 AM
McSauer
Defense Wins Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
I wont be shocked at a big deal at the draft. I agree he needs to be healthy but if anyone knows its his brothers in Carolina. If I am Sather I say Staal, Pyatt, a pick for the 5th overall and Faulk. If they say no, oh well keep him, darn!

I've been mulling that idea around too (+/- Pyatt, becuase he's dead weight, but if we can get rid of him in the process you do it)...

Question is: who do you see us taking @ 5? Very intriguing...

Old
06-25-2013, 10:06 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post

The primary reason for acquiring Staal would be to get an elite defensive partner for Faulk. They're not going to make an awful trade just so they can put up billboards that say "All your Staals are belong to us."

Despite what some folks may think, Staal's eye is definitely a concern and does hurt his value. In addition, Faulk isn't a defensive stalwart, but he has the potential to be an elite blue liner. Think Duncan Keith but a notch or two below on the defensive end. He's not some up-and-comer that warrants the #5 pick coming with him in a deal for Staal. He's already playing big minutes and excelling.

Old
06-25-2013, 10:08 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Quote:
The model for winning the cup changes every year. One year it's puck possession, then it's dump and chase, then it's the trap. You can't win without an elite goalie, then goalies are just supplementary pieces. You need a franchise center, then Boston wins with 3 second tier centers. There's no method to the madness. Sometimes your best players aren't even your best players when it's crunch time.
Exactly, which is why you shouldn't try and emulate success and part of the reason I get so irritated hearing about the Cup champions. I like the Hawks because they are solid all around. They are a complete team, complete teams beat tough teams, they beat fast teams, they beat pretty much every team.

When people mention building a team like the Bruins I roll my eyes, too many variables. It's not a matter of just adding big players and ta da! They have to pan out, Boston has had some serious luck and to their credit very solid scouting and drafting.

Chicago on the other hand put all the pieces in the right places, and I'm all for emulating that. All it means is no 4c at 3c and grinders on the 2nd.

Old
06-25-2013, 10:11 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Toews had one goal entering the finals. He ended up with 3. Kane scored 7 of his 9 playoff goals in 7 games. From game 4 in LA series to game 5 in the finals. The other players picked up and covered for those guys. The Hawks are more than 3 players.
Im not trying to make a point that they played great.

I am trying to make a point that having that fire power at the top of the lineup, even if they are struggling, makes things easier for the bottom of the lineup. Thats not taking anything away from a great supporting cast.

Maybe the Rangers did try to emulate that formula last season with Richards, Gaborik, and Nash. Unfortunately when Richards and Gaborik's games fell apart, the depth here stunk.

Old
06-25-2013, 10:17 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
I agree to a large extent. I think the best way to build a hockey team is commit to a style of play and then stuff the roster with the 20 best players that fit that vision.

Above all else, this is what bothers me about Sather. He has no vision - and even if he references it, its usually a vague comment about how the best teams that particular season are built.

Old
06-25-2013, 10:21 AM
Crease

Ideally you have a roster that is capable of playing more than one type of game, based on circumstances and your opponents strengths and weaknesses.

Old
06-25-2013, 10:41 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I agree to a large extent. I think the best way to build a hockey team is commit to a style of play and then stuff the roster with the 20 best players that fit that vision.

Above all else, this is what bothers me about Sather. He has no vision - and even if he references it, its usually a vague comment about how the best teams that particular season are built.
I agree, but I think you can go too far in that direction as well, and that's sort of what we saw with the 11-12 team. We had a team that was built to grind, play stellar defense, and edge out 1 goal wins in low scoring games. That's fine when you're playing a different team every night, but in a 7 game series, a team is going to learn that you're a one-trick pony and it makes it exceedingly difficult to steal those games like you normally do.

Ultimately it boils down to finding the right group of players that is willing to bust their ass every game. That, and the fact that you need to find players that will play well together. That's the one thing this team seems to be incapable of doing. We bring in huge names without any real consideration of how they'll fit with the players around them. Nash and Gaborik finally got their playmaking center, but not many people thought his name would be Derek Stepan. Jagr gelled with Dubinsky, not Gomez or Drury, and we spent $14M to figure that out. I can't even begin to understand how management can be that inept.

Old
06-25-2013, 11:21 AM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
Here's an interesting question, which would you prefer?

Pajaarvi + EDM 1st (7th overall)

or

Burmistrov + WPG 1st (13th overall)

for MDZ
2nd one for me. We already have a similar player like Paajarvi in Kreider, while Burmistrov fills a huge hole at 3C right now. the 13th pick can still pick up a solid player.

Old
06-25-2013, 11:28 AM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
2nd one for me. We already have a similar player like Paajarvi in Kreider, while Burmistrov fills a huge hole at 3C right now. the 13th pick can still pick up a solid player.
Leaning on this too. Draft is pretty good this year.

Old
06-25-2013, 11:33 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

i bet Rangers wont be making a big deal at the draft for a first or 2ed round pick.. when was the last time Sather made a big trade as Rangers GM at the draft???

Old
06-25-2013, 11:39 AM
nyrleetch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
i bet Rangers wont be making a big deal at the draft for a first or 2ed round pick.. when was the last time Sather made a big trade as Rangers GM at the draft???
Staal?

Old
06-25-2013, 11:49 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrleetch View Post
Staal?
that wasn't a big trade.

he moved up a few spots.

Getting the #7 or #5 would be considered a big trade.

Old
06-25-2013, 11:55 AM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Rangers won't be making any big roster moves. We already had two huge roster turnovers. The defense wasn't at all a strength in the playoffs. If anything we pick up 1-2 guys. I can even see Richards sticking around for one more year. I see Del Zotto or Staal in every proposal, but who fills those holes? When Staal was out our Defense was abysmal. Girardi played too much and got fatigued and played bad. Do we really want Anton Stralman as a consistent top 4 defenseman? Eminger is gone, Moore is still young and needs to strengthen up. I don't see the Rangers putting themselves in a position where they need to search for another defenseman. They finally have a good 6 unit. Do people really want Stu Bickel back as an everyday or even every other game option? Hell no. Stop with this Burmistrov/Paajarvi crap.

Old
06-25-2013, 11:57 AM
dethomas07

If we trade mdz I want a young top 6 fwd coming back.. If its edm I want eberle kind of fwd back.. Proven or nhl ready players.. Yeah too top ten picks are nice but they don't translate right away and may take time.. We're a win ready team that are a few pieces away...

But I think I hang on to him and see what he can do with a new coach.. We all know whT he can do and new fresh voice will give him confidence he needs.. Wait till at the deadline to move him if we have the need up front.. There will be a ton of players available I believe bc next yrs FA crop is nice!!

Closed Thread