HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

David Poile media availability 6/25

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-25-2013, 10:12 AM
  #1
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,001
vCash: 500
David Poile media availability 6/25

Some highlights so far:

Nothing finalized with SK-- exploring KHL options, but it's up in the air. Not happy with his season

Nick Spaling qualified, but Matt Halischuk\Jon Blum have not been. Trying to trade their rights, but at any rate, their time with the Predators is over.

Offseason plans: top six F, top 4 D, backup goaltender

Could see Hellberg as backup next season, but prefer to have him play full season in AHL as starter

Has eye on "certain player" at 4

Unlikely to move up or down in draft. Calls Colorado's tactics "interesting posturing" Could move up, but really doesn't want to move down.

Wants SK74 situation cleared up by July 5. They will "loan" him if he plays in the KHL. Not going to pay him to play in Russia.

"Unlikely" to use any compliance buyouts

Absolutely, 110 percent would take Seth Jones if he's there at 4. "Best player in the draft"

Has received 4 or 5 "incredible" offers for our pick, used the words "moving up," so one would assume it's a team below. Nothing enough to entice him to trade it.

Lumping Nichushkin in with Radulov is "unfair." Different players (my note--Poile and Fenton have now both gone out of way to defend VN...this combined with some things I've personally heard about him being 'at or near the top of their board' are starting to make me wonder)

Can't comment on USA GM job, but referenced that "some sort of announcement" would soon be made.

"We've been terrible at drafting goaltenders in the first round, but great in the later rounds" -- (Ouch, when Pickard is still technically your property)

Jeremy Smith also being allowed to walk. Like Hellberg and Mazanec's potential better.

Expects the next week or so to be a "busy" transaction week around the league, moreso than normal.

Team meetings have brought about opinion that Predators need to get "bigger and stronger" in their forwards.

Offseason plans hinge on who they get at 4. For example, if they drafted say, Jones...that scratches the need for a top 4 D off their list. Some of the Fs would reduce the need for a top 6 F.

__________________
www.thepredatorial.com


Last edited by barrytrotzsneck: 06-25-2013 at 10:40 AM.
barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 10:15 AM
  #2
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chattanooga TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,462
vCash: 500
To publicly ruin your assets value makes no sense to me, even if it is honest.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 10:23 AM
  #3
AtlantaWhaler
Moderator
Thrash/Preds/Sabres
 
AtlantaWhaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 11,143
vCash: 500
Wow...Full of great info. Thanks for the update!

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 10:23 AM
  #4
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 12,122
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
To publicly ruin your assets value makes no sense to me, even if it is honest.
me either, but it almost certainly means he has shopped them to everyone and there are no takers.


Halischuk, is meh.. he was a toss in on the Arnott trade...


But Blum is now another of Poile's failed first rounders, and its pretty sad that we are so done with him that we wont even invest a $715K qo to keep his rights and send him to Milwaukee next year.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 10:24 AM
  #5
AtlantaWhaler
Moderator
Thrash/Preds/Sabres
 
AtlantaWhaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 11,143
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
Offseason plans: top six F, top 4 D, backup goaltender
Happy to hear we agree. Hopefully it gets done.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 10:39 AM
  #6
NoNecksCurse
Registered User
 
NoNecksCurse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,527
vCash: 500
guess poile is full of it.. he said we would add a forward to replace erat and someone else. now its just a "top six forward" .. if all we add is one top six forward and a top 4 defenseman, its gonna be another long, disappointing year

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 10:43 AM
  #7
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,001
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
guess poile is full of it.. he said we would add a forward to replace erat and someone else. now its just a "top six forward" .. if all we add is one top six forward and a top 4 defenseman, its gonna be another long, disappointing year
He didn't come out and say that, that was mostly my inferrence, I think it's more the type of player he's looking for. He was more specific to drafting Jones\not needing a defenseman if we do.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 10:46 AM
  #8
Drake744
Unregistered User
 
Drake744's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nashville
Posts: 2,316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
He didn't come out and say that, that was mostly my inferrence, I think it's more the type of player he's looking for. He was more specific to drafting Jones\not needing a defenseman if we do.
Which would theoretically imply that we expect him in Nashville this season.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 10:48 AM
  #9
NoNecksCurse
Registered User
 
NoNecksCurse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,527
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
He didn't come out and say that, that was mostly my inferrence, I think it's more the type of player he's looking for. He was more specific to drafting Jones\not needing a defenseman if we do.
not to mention sk could possibly bolt...

all i know is if we come out of this off-season with Nathan Horton and Seth Jones (top 4 D) ... its gonna be a long season. horton or any good free agent signing here isn't likely especially with this crap group of FAs.. poile better have something up his sleeve

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 11:01 AM
  #10
AtlantaWhaler
Moderator
Thrash/Preds/Sabres
 
AtlantaWhaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 11,143
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
not to mention sk could possibly bolt...

all i know is if we come out of this off-season with Nathan Horton and Seth Jones (top 4 D) ... its gonna be a long season. horton or any good free agent signing here isn't likely especially with this crap group of FAs.. poile better have something up his sleeve
Don't forget that buyouts and cap relief (trades) will come into play. This is going to be a crazy offseason.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 11:04 AM
  #11
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 16,677
vCash: 500
Let's say the draft goes close to the rankings and we do get Barkov and sign a top 4 dman.

Would we be a better team next year than we were to start this past season? I think we would have been fighting for a playoff spot had the injuries not been less.

So out would be Hannan, Blum, Halishuk, Erat and SK

In would be Forsberg, Barkov, top 4 defenseman, Beck, Ekholm.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 11:09 AM
  #12
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,001
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Let's say the draft goes close to the rankings and we do get Barkov and sign a top 4 dman.

Would we be a better team next year than we were to start this past season? I think we would have been fighting for a playoff spot had the injuries not been less.

So out would be Hannan, Blum, Halishuk, Erat and SK

In would be Forsberg, Barkov, top 4 defenseman, Beck, Ekholm.
Plus another reasonable top 6 F...say Val Filpulla or Victor Stalberg at least, but perhaps even Nathan Horton.

That's a significantly better team than last season.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 11:09 AM
  #13
Nothing Is New
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 430
vCash: 500
Would like to see the exact wording of his Jones statement. Is he saying he would take Jones over say MacKinnon? Or that he expects the Big Offensive Three to be gone and at 4, Jones is the best by far. Otherwise, the former worries the hell out of me. This team was tied for dead last in goals scored last year Jones, a great prospect, doesn't add anything substantial on D for several years.

Nothing Is New is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 11:09 AM
  #14
token grinder
Registered User
 
token grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 4,097
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
me either, but it almost certainly means he has shopped them to everyone and there are no takers.


Halischuk, is meh.. he was a toss in on the Arnott trade...


But Blum is now another of Poile's failed first rounders, and its pretty sad that we are so done with him that we wont even invest a $715K qo to keep his rights and send him to Milwaukee next year.
I would bet letting these two go, we are freeing up contracts. They both can play in the NHL. hell, Smithson snatched a mid-round pick. But GMs have to know we are against the max contract and to be able to add contracts, we have to have room.

we have 23 guys on the active roster with contracts, and 19 in the monors for a total of 42.

RFA non tendered that we know of is Blum, Halishuck, Smith
UFA right now are Mason, Mueller,, Yip, Moore, Ford

So we have 8 contracts for future RFA/UFA and we have 7 RFA-Spaling, Brennen, Pickard, Bang, MacKlellan, Ryan and Puustinen.

add in hopefully a vet backup and that leaves us 7 contracts. I assume whoever we draft will sign an ELC so leaves 6 contracts. I assume Brennan, Spaling, Pickard and Bang will stay so 2 contracts open with 3 RFAs. I thought I read Puustinen was going overseas.

So 3 open contracts with 2 RFAs and a goalie to sign. This is why Poile doesn't care if SK goes. He needs that contract.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 11:10 AM
  #15
NoNecksCurse
Registered User
 
NoNecksCurse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,527
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Let's say the draft goes close to the rankings and we do get Barkov and sign a top 4 dman.

Would we be a better team next year than we were to start this past season? I think we would have been fighting for a playoff spot had the injuries not been less.

So out would be Hannan, Blum, Halishuk, Erat and SK

In would be Forsberg, Barkov, top 4 defenseman, Beck, Ekholm.
im not sure forsberg makes the team.. id be content if we grab barkov and he proves to be ready in the fall. no way to know in the summer... then we sign a top 6 forward or trade, someone like a horton or ribeiro.. then get someone to play with klein.

though my personal preference would be to slot ekholm with klein. im really high on him. then with that money, work on the forwards. erat in a full season was a 60 point guy... not to mention already needing offensive help when he and suter were here. sk is another blow to the forwards regardless if people hate on him.

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 11:11 AM
  #16
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,001
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing Is New View Post
Would like to see the exact wording of his Jones statement. Is he saying he would take Jones over say MacKinnon? Or that he expects the Big Offensive Three to be gone and at 4, Jones is the best by far. Otherwise, the former worries the hell out of me. This team was tied for dead last in goals scored last year Jones, a great prospect, doesn't add anything substantial on D for several years.
He wasn't vague. He said that Jones is the best player in the draft on their board, and they would take him if they were picking #1 overall.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 11:12 AM
  #17
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,001
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
im not sure forsberg makes the team.. id be content if we grab barkov and he proves to be ready in the fall. no way to know in the summer... then we sign a top 6 forward or trade, someone like a horton or ribeiro.. then get someone to play with klein.

though my personal preference would be to slot ekholm with klein. im really high on him. then with that money, work on the forwards. erat in a full season was a 60 point guy... not to mention already needing offensive help when he and suter were here. sk is another blow to the forwards regardless if people hate on him.
In a limited showing with almost no practice time, Forsberg was one of our better players. He didn't put up numbers, but Trotz\Poile have already said that he "passed" his audition.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 11:12 AM
  #18
NoNecksCurse
Registered User
 
NoNecksCurse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,527
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing Is New View Post
Would like to see the exact wording of his Jones statement. Is he saying he would take Jones over say MacKinnon? Or that he expects the Big Offensive Three to be gone and at 4, Jones is the best by far. Otherwise, the former worries the hell out of me. This team was tied for dead last in goals scored last year Jones, a great prospect, doesn't add anything substantial on D for several years.
i took it as if he was #1, he would take jones because he is clearly the BPA. could be posturing since teams at the top always play mind games. i think he means it

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 11:14 AM
  #19
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Country: Argentina
Posts: 23,121
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Let's say the draft goes close to the rankings and we do get Barkov and sign a top 4 dman.

Would we be a better team next year than we were to start this past season? I think we would have been fighting for a playoff spot had the injuries not been less.

So out would be Hannan, Blum, Halishuk, Erat and SK

In would be Forsberg, Barkov, top 4 defenseman, Beck, Ekholm.
I think we may be a top 4 team in our conference ... our D with Weber, Klein, emergence of Josi ... hoping for Ekholm (I liked the way he played compared to the other kids in the 4 spot) to continue to progress & a patchwork of what'd be our bottom pairing

Chicago are the champs, Minnesota may be better, Saint Louis may be better ... the rest is a crap shoot, imo

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 11:15 AM
  #20
Jarnberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,479
vCash: 500
Pretty amazing that Poile would draft Jones over Mac, Drouin or Barkov. Especially given how much better forwards normally are in the top 4 of the draft.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 11:16 AM
  #21
Drake744
Unregistered User
 
Drake744's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nashville
Posts: 2,316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
He wasn't vague. He said that Jones is the best player in the draft on their board, and they would take him if they were picking #1 overall.
I'm fine with picking Jones at 4.

But if we hypothetically picked 1st, I'd be upset if we didn't take MacKinnon. Not that it matters.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 11:16 AM
  #22
NoNecksCurse
Registered User
 
NoNecksCurse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,527
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
In a limited showing with almost no practice time, Forsberg was one of our better players. He didn't put up numbers, but Trotz\Poile have already said that he "passed" his audition.
he passed the eye test from me for sure but im still not sold he makes the team. i really hope he does.

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 11:19 AM
  #23
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chattanooga TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,462
vCash: 500
Not qualifying Blum and Hal's doesn't mean we will let them walk for free, it may simply mean that there is clear intention to trade them. I find it hard to believe they are valueless. That said, why qo someone if they will be moved and possibly handicap yourself. No need to do either until the qo is due. Still, we really screwed up with the Blum pick and approach - most of they is on Blums shoulders, but dp/Trotz have to shoulder the blame (partially) as well.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 11:19 AM
  #24
PFL615
Registered User
 
PFL615's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Smashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
im not sure forsberg makes the team.. id be content if we grab barkov and he proves to be ready in the fall. no way to know in the summer... then we sign a top 6 forward or trade, someone like a horton or ribeiro.. then get someone to play with klein.

though my personal preference would be to slot ekholm with klein. im really high on him. then with that money, work on the forwards. erat in a full season was a 60 point guy... not to mention already needing offensive help when he and suter were here. sk is another blow to the forwards regardless if people hate on him.
What indication did you get last year with no practice and a few games that he may not make the roster?
He clearly passed in a limited amount of time and definitely held his own. Maybe i was watching a different guy.. I dunno

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 11:20 AM
  #25
KevFist
is best pony
 
KevFist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Birmingham, AL
Country: Northern Ireland
Posts: 5,100
vCash: 500
If you're at 4 and Drouin, Barkov and Mac are all gone, you HAVE to take Jones. He's BPA at that point, and you're crazy to not take him. Plus, it's generally easier to pick up a forwardthan it is a defenseman.

Maybe Poile isn't sold on Josi panning out as a top pairing guy.

KevFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:35 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.