II. 2013 National Hockey League Entry Draft

Closed Thread

Old
06-24-2013, 06:53 PM
txomisc

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
IDK ... I really think Nurse is going to Carolina.

BTW ... this is the first time I remember Jackson or any Stars office type talking about a specific player pre-draft. I can't wait to listen to the pdocast now.
Yeah its the first time Ive heard it as well. I was disappointed he didnt ask about more of them. His reaction to Nurse is what jumped out at me most.

Old
06-24-2013, 07:01 PM
Chaos

Send a message via MSN to Chaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
If we are taking a big mean dman at 10 I like Zadorov a little bit more but i am coming around on Nurse, and I wouldnt exactly be shocked if he were available at 10.
Im not a big fan of taking another left handed d-man at #10, unless they are really sold on Nurse being the BPA. Im really not interested in Zadorov though. At least Nurse offers up some offensive ability and upside, I dont think Zadorov ever gets past about 20 points in the NHL.

-Vagrant
Old
06-24-2013, 07:15 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
If we are taking a big mean dman at 10 I like Zadorov a little bit more but i am coming around on Nurse, and I wouldnt exactly be shocked if he were available at 10.
Zadarov worries me. He just seems far too raw whereas Nurse seems like the whole package already with the possibility of being the best defenseman in the draft. His family's professional sports bloodlines and understanding of what it means to be a professional are big for me as well.

Old
06-24-2013, 07:19 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
Im not a big fan of taking another left handed d-man at #10, unless they are really sold on Nurse being the BPA. Im really not interested in Zadorov though. At least Nurse offers up some offensive ability and upside, I dont think Zadorov ever gets past about 20 points in the NHL.
I think some people get way too hung up on a player's handedness, defensemen especially. Nurse would instantly be our 1st or 2nd best defense prospect. Who cares about handedness when you're talking potential like that? He's already physical and he's a twig; wait 'til he fills that frame out.

Old
06-24-2013, 07:24 PM
Chaos

Send a message via MSN to Chaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
I think some people get way too hung up on a player's handedness, defensemen especially. Nurse would instantly be our 1st or 2nd best defense prospect. Who cares about handedness when you're talking potential like that? He's already physical and he's a twig; wait 'til he fills that frame out.
As I said, if they feel like he's the BPA at that point(and there's not one that close to him), then I'm fine taking him there.

Old
06-24-2013, 07:29 PM
BigG44

Some GM/coaches are very concerned about right and left shots. Boston at one point this season had a perfect group of 4 left shot winger, 4 right shot wingers, 2 right shot centers, 2 left shot centers, 3 right D, and 3 left shot D.

Others don't care so much. I was wondering the other day which group Nill/Ruff fall into. I'm lazy right now, if someone wants to beat me to it, check out what Detroit and Buffalo have used in the recent past. I've been meaning to look it up, but ... I really don't want too.

Old
06-24-2013, 07:59 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Some GM/coaches are very concerned about right and left shots. Boston at one point this season had a perfect group of 4 left shot winger, 4 right shot wingers, 2 right shot centers, 2 left shot centers, 3 right D, and 3 left shot D.

Others don't care so much. I was wondering the other day which group Nill/Ruff fall into. I'm lazy right now, if someone wants to beat me to it, check out what Detroit and Buffalo have used in the recent past. I've been meaning to look it up, but ... I really don't want too.
Still though, I don't see how that has any bearing on who to draft. BPA unless it's a razor thin difference. Assemble the best prospects then go about assembling a team.

Since you asked though, Detroit has never seemed to worry much about handedness. Seems almost all of their defensemen this year were lefties except for White. Not many righties up front either.

Old
06-25-2013, 12:08 AM
Cin
Eurosnob.

It'll be pretty underwhelming if the first pick is a defenseman for me. We're absolutely loaded with good D, and we clearly need centers. If we do draft defense, then I sure as hell hope we're trading at least two for some help up the middle.

Old
06-25-2013, 12:21 AM
glovesave_35
Name

I would rather have Nurse than Wennberg, Shinkaruk, Horvat, or any of those other 2nd tier centers. Nobody we get at 10 is going to help much in the short term anyways. Any center we draft with Boston's pick or our 2nd rounders will likely be NHL ready around the same time as those other guys I mentioned.

BPA everytime.

Old
06-25-2013, 04:53 AM
BigG44

Hearing Les Jackson talk about Nurse really got me excited about him, but just like Les said, I doubt he's even available at 10.

I think it comes down to Ristolainen and those names you're listing Glove, and I still think the D has the better potential there at 10 like you're saying. Although, Horvat sounds like a very safe pick, and I wouldn't be hat surprised if Dallas takes a guy that's been described as one of the more complete players in the draft. His offensive upside just doesn't sound that intriguing.

Old
06-25-2013, 07:25 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Hearing Les Jackson talk about Nurse really got me excited about him, but just like Les said, I doubt he's even available at 10.

I think it comes down to Ristolainen and those names you're listing Glove, and I still think the D has the better potential there at 10 like you're saying. Although, Horvat sounds like a very safe pick, and I wouldn't be hat surprised if Dallas takes a guy that's been described as one of the more complete players in the draft. His offensive upside just doesn't sound that intriguing.
Therein lies the rub. Nurse will probably be gone but if we could get him he'd be a "sexy" enough pick that I look past position (although I will reiterate, we are FAR from set on D and we still lack a #1 defenseman...he could be one). On the other hand, Ristolainen doesn't seem to have the same potential to impact a game like Nurse but he sounds like a solid two-way defenseman with little bust potential. I consider Horvat to be a safe pick at 10 and honestly, if we're going safe that high up I'd rather take the guy who will almost definitely be an impact defenseman over a guy who could rather easily top out as a checking line center.

Old
06-25-2013, 07:49 AM
BigG44

I agree completely. I take Ristolainen easily over Horvat. I don't know about Shinkaruk though. On one hand, he has the potential to be the best offensive option Dallas could draft at 10, but he's a risky pick. You have to take chances some times, but I think Ristolainen's seemingly easier transition to the NHL plus the fact he really does have some high end potential makes me think they'd go for the big Finnish D over Shinkaruk as well.

Like I've said before, I think you have the making of a potential top quality shutdown duo with Oleksiak and Ristolainen together. Plus, you have the bonus that one or both could turn into 30 point or better D. Now, the offense is a question mark with both, but I think they're relatively safe bets to at least develop into quality minute eaters in their own zone. Obviously you hope for much more.

As big a need center is, I like the idea of walking away Sunday feeling pretty good about Dallas' D in their own zone for the next 10 years with Dillon, Oleksiak, and Ristolainen more so than another safe center pretty similar to Faksa with questionable offensive upside. Now if Dallas got back in the teens, I'd be more than happy with Horvat, Wennberg, or even Domi. Honestly, I'd be pretty happy with getting Lazar and Compher later in the first as well.

Like you said, I don't hear a ton of people talking about these centers having much separation between each other.

Old
06-25-2013, 09:03 AM
tjcurrie

If we can get sneak in to the teens, a good scenario would be taking the best D-man available at #10 and then snagging Gauthier next. I don't know if there's going to be any gap between him and a guy like Horvat. Gauthier could even end up being the better player.

Old
06-25-2013, 09:05 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcurrie View Post
If we can get sneak in to the teens, a good scenario would be taking the best D-man available at #10 and then snagging Gauthier next. I don't know if there's going to be any gap between him and a guy like Horvat. Gauthier could even end up being the better player.
I always forget about that guy, and I would love if that could happen. Again, he's very similar to Faksa in that his offense is questionable, but he looks like he's at least a reasonable bet to be a big, solid 3rd line center.

Not the ideal situation obviously, and I'd rather they somehow land one of the big guys, but as far as backup plans go he's pretty solid.

Old
06-25-2013, 09:29 AM
tjcurrie

Quote:
I always forget about that guy, and I would love if that could happen. Again, he's very similar to Faksa in that his offense is questionable, but he looks like he's at least a reasonable bet to be a big, solid 3rd line center.

Not the ideal situation obviously, and I'd rather they somehow land one of the big guys, but as far as backup plans go he's pretty solid.
Yeah I'd much rather land one of the big guys myself, but we'll be okay with this backup plan should we not be able to move up. Even better would be if Nurse is sitting there then as you guys were saying, we 100% grab him.

I could be wrong but I see 2nd line center in Gauthier.

Ristolainen + Gauthier would be a good 1st round.

Nurse + Gauthier would be a great 1st round.

Old
06-25-2013, 09:34 AM
BigG44

If we want Nurse, we have to hope Carolina is very high on Ristolainen. I just get the felling they're going D. I know they like the OHL which is why I really think they'll go Nurse, but maybe they think Pitkanen could be a great mentor for Ristolainen.

If Barkov somehow falls to 5 and say Edmonton jumps up to grab him, then Monahan and Ristolainen go 6 and 7, I don't think it's unreasonable to think 1 of Lindholm or Nurse would fall to Dallas. That said, I don't think it's unreasonable they go 8 then 9 either.

Old
06-25-2013, 10:39 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger

@TSNRyanRishaug is working this as well. Sources say the Oilers offered Sam Gagner a multi year extension. Still work to get a deal done.
So if this happens, isn't Edmonton more likely to go D? I think that'd also open them up to trading back a bit.

I hadn't really considered moving up to the 7 spot. I assumed Edmonton would stick with it (or trade up to 5) and draft a center.

Old
06-25-2013, 10:40 AM
john skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by haf View Post
With any luck, about a week.

You still going to the draft skull?
Trying to, tickets are somehow difficult to come by.

Old
06-25-2013, 10:47 AM
English stars fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcurrie View Post
Yeah I'd much rather land one of the big guys myself, but we'll be okay with this backup plan should we not be able to move up. Even better would be if Nurse is sitting there then as you guys were saying, we 100% grab him.

I could be wrong but I see 2nd line center in Gauthier.

Ristolainen + Gauthier would be a good 1st round.

Nurse + Gauthier would be a great 1st round.
Lindholm and Gauthier or Lindholm and Horvat would be even better

Old
06-25-2013, 10:54 AM
tjcurrie

Quote:
If we want Nurse, we have to hope Carolina is very high on Ristolainen. I just get the felling they're going D. I know they like the OHL which is why I really think they'll go Nurse, but maybe they think Pitkanen could be a great mentor for Ristolainen.

If Barkov somehow falls to 5 and say Edmonton jumps up to grab him, then Monahan and Ristolainen go 6 and 7, I don't think it's unreasonable to think 1 of Lindholm or Nurse would fall to Dallas. That said, I don't think it's unreasonable they go 8 then 9 either.
I think you have it pegged pretty good. So hard to know what's going to happen as far as teams moving up/down. Hard to know what will happen regardless but that throws an extra curve ball in to the mix. If only we lost a couple more games down the stretch.

Quote:
So if this happens, isn't Edmonton more likely to go D? I think that'd also open them up to trading back a bit.

I hadn't really considered moving up to the 7 spot. I assumed Edmonton would stick with it (or trade up to 5) and draft a center.
Still hard to say. They may sign him with aspirations of dealing him - whether now or soon down the road. I've been convinced they're taking Monahan if he's there at 7, and I still think that's what would happen. If he's not there and Nurse is, then it's very possible they take him.

Old
06-25-2013, 11:52 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:

I'd love to hear how Edmonton fans are still going to justify taking a center at 7.

Old
06-25-2013, 12:18 PM
Jokipakka

http://yle.fi/urheilu/ristolaisen_ta...ksella/6703592

Ristolainen interviewed in Finnish. Some points below:
  • He wants to be in North America next season
  • He is already in great shape and has been training with Hannu Rautala who is imo a very good physical trainer
  • Combine interviews went suprisingly well and he had no problems although English is not one of his strengths
  • 26 teams have talked to him

Also, Barkov will play in the NHL next season if his team wants him to & shoulder has healed

Last edited by Jokipakka: 06-25-2013 at 12:30 PM. Reason: barkov
Old
06-25-2013, 12:50 PM
Primetimey*

vCash: 160
Jim Nill interview before heading out to the draft - link

Old
06-25-2013, 01:17 PM
Nemeth
Mo Money Mo Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
I'd love to hear how Edmonton fans are still going to justify taking a center at 7.
Same, they just love to get shiny new toys to play with.

Old
06-25-2013, 02:03 PM
SolidusAKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by English stars fan View Post
Lindholm and Gauthier or Lindholm and Horvat would be even better
This would be my dream first round

Closed Thread