HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Assuming Trading Up Is Out: Who's The Pick At 8?

Old
06-25-2013, 10:49 AM
Dutchess
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Assuming Trading Up Is Out: Who's The Pick At 8?

http://thehockeywriters.com/buffalo-sabres-draft-day/

Can we see another Grigorenko situation with Nichushkin? Jebas, I hope so.

Dutchess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 10:53 AM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

I think Nichushkin might be an even bigger wildcard than Grigorenko last year.

I could see him going top 5 and falling way down ala Forsberg & Grigorenko last year.

He sticks out as the big boom or bust pick this year. With so many guys getting touted as "sure things", that could really hurt Nichushkin's stock.

While there is a lot of risk there, I wouldn't be upset if the Sabres pulled the trigger on a Nichushkin pick.

If Nichushkin is there, I'm assuming Monahan and Lindholm are off the board. If it's Nichushkin vs Nurse or Ristolainen, I'd roll the dice on Nichushkin.

If he and Grigorenko can get some chemistry......

WhoIsJimBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 11:04 AM
toejam56

I have to get out of the mind set that 2 Russians on the Sabres would have made Lindy's head explode. He would have just made a giant FUBAR of that. Somehow he would have tried to make Grigo a shut down defense first centerman....... Rolston is a teacher. Might work.

toejam56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 11:06 AM
kirby11

I'm hoping one of Lindholm/Monahan is there somehow, but I'm doubting it.
I take Ristolainen easily at 8, then hope to deal up from 16 to 10-12 and nab horvat.

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 11:27 AM
Risto55
I LIKE EICH

If all the top forwards are gone (Lindholm, Monahan, Nichushkin) then I say there's about a 30%chance that Horvat could be the pick. With their insistence on developing a young, hardworking core, I have a good feeling that they're targeting Horvat, whether it be with the eighth pick or trading up from sixteen. I can't see them passing up on a top forward, but I can see them reaching for Horvat.

Risto55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 11:38 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by toejam56 View Post
I have to get out of the mind set that 2 Russians on the Sabres would have made Lindy's head explode. He would have just made a giant FUBAR of that. Somehow he would have tried to make Grigo a shut down defense first centerman....... Rolston is a teacher. Might work.
During the best of times, Lindy had both Kalinin and Max. Two Russians doesn't have to be bad.

stokes84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 11:40 AM
Jame
Dream '16

please let it be Risto over Nichu/Nurse

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 11:59 AM
DJN21

Id prefer nish monohan or lind but if they are gone I will be completely content with risto nurse or horvat

DJN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 12:22 PM
BloFan4Life

I think they are going D with the 8th. Nurse or Ristolainen.

BloFan4Life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 12:24 PM
Wisent42

If Nichushkin drops to 8th I don't think we can afford to let him pass. While we don't yet have a lot of proven centers on our team, we do have a lot of depth down the middle now, which is why Nishushkin should be our choice. And there's a good chance that he drops, because of all the "sure things" among top prospects. If he's not available then I'm assuming atleast one of Lindholm and Monahan will be. I'm ok with either one, but having followed Lindholm on my favorite team Brynäs in Sweden I would love to see him in blue and gold. This kid is going to be good, though we'll have to wait a few years for him.

Speaking of Brynäs: Dennis Persson. What a bust that was! First round pick, never played in the NHL, and now in Brynäs he continues to be... meh, at best.

Wisent42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 12:28 PM
Wisent42

And by all means: If Nishuchkin, Lindholm and Monahan are all gone, then either another top forward has fallen into our lap, or Nurse is still available. I wouldn't mind that very much either. This is why I'm against overpaying for moving up by the way. Whoever we get att 8th is going to be a really interesting player.

Wisent42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 12:35 PM
toejam56

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
During the best of times, Lindy had both Kalinin and Max. Two Russians doesn't have to be bad.
I submit Lindy had no idea what to do with Max. He could fly and on any given night could be +4 or -4. Lindy used to go nuts. Kalinin was a whipping boy too. Typical round peg square hole Lindy. Dallas' problem now. Prefer to see Rolston's handling of 2 Russians. He might suck....but Lindy already did.
That said...Nik is likely gone by 8.

toejam56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 12:43 PM
Sean McG
Grigorenkensons

I'd say it's between Lindholm, Monahan, Nichushkin, Ristolainen or Nurse. Dark horse guys could be Zadorov or Horvat.

Out of those guys, my order of preference... Monahan, Lindholm, Risto, Nurse, Horvat, Nichushkin, Zadorov.

Sean McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 12:45 PM
Gabrielor

Guy we most-likely get: Nurse
Guy I'd want: Nichushkin/Lindholm
Outside hope: Monahan

Gabrielor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 12:49 PM
"Craigs on it"

vCash: 50
Whom ever Devine likes the most of Nichushkin/Nurse/Ristolainen/Zadarov and Lindholm. My guess is it will be one of them four at 8.

At 16 its to hard to have an idea of whom will be available. Their are 10-15 guys I could be happy with.

I would like to add a big LH Dman who can play all situations and compliment Myers in the future.

Last edited by 1972: 06-25-2013 at 12:54 PM.
1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 12:53 PM
Rowley Birkin

Ristolainen has become the most over rated player on this forum.

I really, really, really do not want to go 'D' with the first pick, but if we had to I'd prefer both Nurse and Zadarov. And this Santini boy is rising sharply as well.

Semi-realistically at 8 I want Nichuskhin - my fav player in the draft outside the 'big three'. They have the depth of prospects already in the system, and upcoming high round picks to make it worth taking the chance.

Pessimistically* at 8 I want Horvat. Especially if they could move down a few spots to grab him (possibly moving up from 16 at the same time). Horvat, and one of the above mentioned D / mid rated forwards such as Zykov/Erne/Domi/Shinkaruk/Lazar etc. etc. would be satisfactory for me. Getting Nichuskhin would be a bonus.

* Pessimistic in the sense that the first seven gone are Mac/Jones/Drouin/Barkov/Nichuskhin/Lindholm/Monahan as widely expected.

Rowley Birkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 01:14 PM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowley Birkin View Post
Ristolainen has become the most over rated player on this forum.
How? He's going to be a damn good player.

Quote:
I really, really, really do not want to go 'D' with the first pick, but if we had to I'd prefer both Nurse and Zadarov. And this Santini boy is rising sharply as well.
Again, what's your vendetta against Risto?

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 01:23 PM
Rowley Birkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallagt01 View Post
How? He's going to be a damn good player.

Again, what's your vendetta against Risto?
No Vendetta. He looks a solid prospect - too early to say 'a damn good player' certainly at the NHL level....

..but people talk about him as a lock for top 8 due to certain posters campaigning (IMO).

TBH I generally prefer forwards high in the draft since I think you have more chance of hitting than with defencemen, but if we HAD to go 'D' I don't really see what sets RR apart from others mentioned. Actually, I like Nurse and Zadarov's potential more than Risto's. And Santini is starting to interest me certainly what I've read over the past week or so.

Basically I'd be happy enough with a player like him at 16 but would find him an uninspiring pick at 8.

Rowley Birkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 01:28 PM
Gabrielor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
please let it be Risto over Nichu/Nurse
Why down on Nurse and Nichushkin?

Gabrielor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 01:53 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

The long term trend in terms of success for top forward picks v top defensive picks has me pretty much convinced we should not go D with #8.

I don't care how good any of them look. Defensemen aren't mature at 18. More like 25. You can't tell who's got it yet. At 18, though, a forward can lead his team in scoring in the NHL. It's just a different draft.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 02:07 PM
LGBuffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby11 View Post
I'm hoping one of Lindholm/Monahan is there somehow, but I'm doubting it.
I take Ristolainen easily at 8, then hope to deal up from 16 to 10-12 and nab horvat.
I believe this is word-for-word what I would have said. Nicely done!

LGBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 02:08 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYaeger89 View Post
Why down on Nurse and Nichushkin?
Nurse's lack of offensive skills, combined with lower level hockey sense makes him a very risky pick. I didn't see the turn around in on ice zone awareness that others have claimed as the season progressed. I consider him a player with a very slim chance of reaching his ceiling.

Nichushkin is too one dimensional for my liking... he's got an insane combination of skills (speed/power), that he uses in a one dimensional way... he's not going to be able to transition as easily to the NHL as many seem to think.

Old
06-25-2013, 02:10 PM
LGBuffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYaeger89 View Post
Guy we most-likely get: Nurse
Guy I'd want: Nichushkin/Lindholm
Outside hope: Monahan
I like how you're thinking here. Nichushkin just scares me at this point. He's got all the offensive capabilities to be a tremendous NHL player, and soon. The problem is, the Sabres at this point just can't miss on a player with the possibility of not even playing in the NHL. These first two picks have to be solid contributors at the least, and ASAP. If they could guarantee his playing in the NHL, I'd love to have him, but if there are any question marks in the way of attendance, I'd prefer them to stay away.

LGBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 02:10 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowley Birkin View Post
No Vendetta. He looks a solid prospect - too early to say 'a damn good player' certainly at the NHL level....

..but people talk about him as a lock for top 8 due to certain posters campaigning (IMO).

TBH I generally prefer forwards high in the draft since I think you have more chance of hitting than with defencemen, but if we HAD to go 'D' I don't really see what sets RR apart from others mentioned. Actually, I like Nurse and Zadarov's potential more than Risto's. And Santini is starting to interest me certainly what I've read over the past week or so.

Basically I'd be happy enough with a player like him at 16 but would find him an uninspiring pick at 8.
Would you like me to provide more reading material on Ristolainen to help with your opinion?

Old
06-25-2013, 02:22 PM
Luceni

I just want a great and fast skater with decent size and solid hands. Nichuskin fits the bill there.

As for our 16th pick, I hope one of Ristolainenen or Nurse fall there.

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote