HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Donairs: The official food of the HF Oilers board

Closed Thread

Old
08-10-2006, 02:43 AM
Rin

vCash: 500
Here's a site many of you might enjoy...

http://www.thegreatness.com/old/donair.html#AB

Old
08-10-2006, 12:08 PM
Poochiemoo

This is an amazing entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donair

Old
08-10-2006, 01:12 PM
oilerfanatic

alright dawgs, the best donair is at quick donair on argyll by the arby's sign (66th street)...they load it on and its freakin massive...try the mixed meat donair...they also have donair subs!...turkish donair/falafel house on whyte was good as well, but after new ownership i never went back...so i'm not sure about that one anymore...

somebody mentioned mama's donair at wested...i seriously felt like puking after one bit of that...

Old
08-10-2006, 01:57 PM
AD

This thread is making me hungry.. nothing like the Poutine thread... but still.

My turkish cousin is in Montreal for two weeks for vacation. We're going for Donair as soon as possible...

Old
08-10-2006, 02:04 PM
Murphy

The last donair I had was at Castrol Raceway, in fact I had two of them. I think they are the Mr Sub version.

I'm still a fan of Charles Smart, they're my favourite but the one in Sherwood Park is pretty damn good also.

Old
08-10-2006, 02:08 PM
Showerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by AymanD View Post
This thread is making me hungry.. nothing like the Poutine thread... but still.

My turkish cousin is in Montreal for two weeks for vacation. We're going for Donair as soon as possible...
Speaking of Turkish, there is absolutely nothing quite like having a donair in that country. So fresh, so well spiced, so perfect.

*Drool*

Old
08-10-2006, 03:10 PM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showerhead View Post
Speaking of Turkish, there is absolutely nothing quite like having a donair in that country. So fresh, so well spiced, so perfect.

*Drool*
Indeed... in the original turkish flatbread.. slightly tosted and warm.

Old
08-15-2006, 06:43 AM
Hairball

Okay. Strike New York Pizza & Donair off the list. I feel gross for having just ate that. I work nights just now, so there's not a lot of choice ad 4 in the morning. Anyway, I wanted pizza and thought I'd try the donair as well, so I got a combo thing. The donair had way too much melted globby cheese, and the sauce was sweet but not right. Too thick and just not quite right. Onions were great, but who judges a donair on the onions? They were going to charge me extra to put hot peppers on it too. I certainly won't order a donair there again.

Old
08-15-2006, 08:22 AM
PuckNut

You just had to bring this thread up again. Now I'm going to have to have a donair in the next day or two.

Old
08-15-2006, 05:43 PM
Bring Back Bucky

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckNut View Post
You just had to bring this thread up again. Now I'm going to have to have a donair in the next day or two.
Yeah, after a full week into my life sentence of donair purgatory this thred brings tears to my eyes.

Old
08-16-2006, 01:53 AM
Rin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBB-King of Donair View Post
Yeah, after a full week into my life sentence of donair purgatory this thred brings tears to my eyes.
I'll make sure to eat one for you BBB...but i'll have to eat it the way i like it though, but i'll think of you while i eat it.

Old
08-16-2006, 05:22 AM
Hairball

Quote:
Maybe you could inspire us all with a tale of the best donair you ever had, BBB? Give us something to hold all future donairs to?

Old
08-16-2006, 10:18 AM
gqlatin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Theres a Mac's store, Video store, and PetroCanada, in the same stripmall right? (yeah I know that could still be generic description.)

Damn, I drive by there twice a day at least and I've NEVER stopped in there.

until now, heh. how late they open?,...thanks much!
Yea, I think it's called "Homestyle Donairs and Subs" or something like that. Their large donairs are HUUUUGE and are DELICIOUS. You have the option of tzaziki sauce or sweet sauce...I choose sweet sauce of course.
The owner is a real nice guy too.

There's also Quick Donair on Argyll and 75st...by the Petro Canada/BP's. They're so good! If you're downtown, there's a donair/pizza place across the street from The Bounce that's really good as well.

I LOVE DONAIRS

Old
08-16-2006, 10:38 AM
Showerhead

Can anyone fine me döner in Winnipeg? Manitoba? Heck, Western Ontario?

Not only would I go, but it would be a treat for my sister and mother who have more attachment to our ethnic origins (Turkish) than I do... taking them there could even be considered a good deed, and everyone likes a good ol' fashioned good deed!

Old
08-16-2006, 11:47 AM
Hairball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showerhead View Post
Can anyone fine me döner in Winnipeg? Manitoba? Heck, Western Ontario?

Not only would I go, but it would be a treat for my sister and mother who have more attachment to our ethnic origins (Turkish) than I do... taking them there could even be considered a good deed, and everyone likes a good ol' fashioned good deed!

Google- 1st attempt:
http://winnipeg.urbex.ca/Donair/index.htm

2nd:

http://www.winnipegentertainment.com...ne/osborne.htm

"Village Donair & SUB D - 121 Osborne St., 475-1600"

There's probably more...

Old
08-16-2006, 01:08 PM
Showerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairball View Post

Quote:
2nd:

http://www.winnipegentertainment.com...ne/osborne.htm

"Village Donair & SUB D - 121 Osborne St., 475-1600"

There's probably more...

Old
08-16-2006, 01:36 PM
TowMater14

If any of you are ever driving through Beaumont and want an awesome donair.
Mainas Donair right on 50st is awesome, they also have three sauces...Sweet, Tsatziki and garlic. YUM YUM YUM.

Old
10-18-2006, 05:46 AM
Hairball

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
Best in town:

Charles Smart on 82ave and 92st (their sweet sause is the best)
Well. I have updates...

I have been to Souvlaki Express in City Centre Mall, and Charles Smart on Whyte, in the last week.

Souvlaki express was alright. It wasn't all that big- I don't remember different size options. the meat was pretty spiced which was good, but it wasn't spectacular over all.

Charles Smart, I was very disappointed with. It was bland and the sweet sauce wasn't vinagery enough. The meat was really dry, not really spiced, and had a texture that was... Hmm. I can only think of one analogy. Think of well done roast beef. Now think of that roast beef, pre-chewed. It was soft and really not all that appealing. Yeah, so I won't go back there. I really didn't like it at all.

Does anyone know why all Donair places seem to be named after men's names? It's odd.

Old
10-18-2006, 05:48 AM
Bring Back Bucky

Quote:
Well. I have updates...

I have been to Souvlaki Express in City Centre Mall, and Charles Smart on Whyte, in the last week.

Souvlaki express was alright. It wasn't all that big- I don't remember different size options. the meat was pretty spiced which was good, but it wasn't spectacular over all.

Charles Smart, I was very disappointed with. It was bland and the sweet sauce wasn't vinagery enough. The meat was really dry, not really spiced, and had a texture that was... Hmm. I can only think of one analogy. Think of well done roast beef. Now think of that roast beef, pre-chewed. It was soft and really not all that appealing. Yeah, so I won't go back there. I really didn't like it at all.

Does anyone know why all Donair places seem to be named after men's names? It's odd.
You're kind of big and hairy, Shane, but your dedication to the cause is an inspiration to young donair eaters EVERYWHERE.

Old
10-18-2006, 05:57 AM
Hairball

Quote:
You're kind of big and hairy, Shane, but your dedication to the cause is an inspiration to young donair eaters EVERYWHERE.
Blame the new girl in my life. She's also into donairs.

Old
10-18-2006, 06:05 AM
jiggyman

5 a.m and im craving a donair, damn you all

I'm no donair connoisseur by any means, but I LOVE the Columbus super donair. Everytime I get the craving I order up delivery.

I think ill have to expand a little based on this thread.

Old
10-18-2006, 08:01 AM
PuckNut

Quote:
Well. I have updates...

Just to add, the Souvlaki express at Kingsway is, for some reason, alot better than the one at city centre mall.

Old
10-18-2006, 08:30 AM
Sachiko

Charles Smart... amazing donairs.

Old
10-18-2006, 10:05 AM
Heavy Fuel

Darn, who brought up this thread again? I just reread the whole thing and now I am starting to have chest pains. We need a defib cart on standby.

I thought I had posted it before, but it must have been in another donair thread. I stand by "J's" in Spruce Grove with my admittedly limited donair testing experience. The guy who owns the place (J?) is the only person I have ever seen working there. He is open until 4 AM on weekends, and is closed on Sunday to sleep.

You have a choice of sweet or something else I can't pronounce or spell sauce, and he has a bunch of peppers, etc., that you can add if you want. He has also has a decent ice cream/frozen yogurt section to fill in any parts of your arteries that are still open.

It is in the strip mall on the NW corner of 16A & Calahoo Road in Spruce Grove, right next to Little Ceaser's Pizza.

Old
10-18-2006, 10:30 AM
Hairball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachiko View Post
Charles Smart... amazing donairs.
Not yesterday they weren't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Whole View Post
Darn, who brought up this thread again? I just reread the whole thing and now I am starting to have chest pains. We need a defib cart on standby.

I thought I had posted it before, but it must have been in another donair thread. I stand by "J's" in Spruce Grove with my admittedly limited donair testing experience. The guy who owns the place (J?) is the only person I have ever seen working there. He is open until 4 AM on weekends, and is closed on Sunday to sleep.

You have a choice of sweet or something else I can't pronounce or spell sauce, and he has a bunch of peppers, etc., that you can add if you want. He has also has a decent ice cream/frozen yogurt section to fill in any parts of your arteries that are still open.

It is in the strip mall on the NW corner of 16A & Calahoo Road in Spruce Grove, right next to Little Ceaser's Pizza.

Tzatziki sauce you're probably referring to:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tzatziki

Incidently, we have a poutine smilie. I wonder if we can get a donair smilie too. Maybe we need to hit 30 pages with this thread too?

Closed Thread