HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Downey taken to hospital

Old
10-18-2006, 08:15 AM
Netro

vCash: 500
I hope Downey recovers 100%. I don't care about hockey, I just want to make sure he doesn't have future problems. If he plays hockey again, then even better for him.

As for the hit, I watched it in real time and saw the replays. In real time, I thought he caught Downey with an elbow to the head. That said, when I saw the replay, it was a good, clean hit. Downey never saw it coming (head down and another Calgary player was between him and Reghr) so he couldn't protect himself. Unfortunate incident for Downey, but 100% clean in my mind. A good hockey hit with unfortunate results.

Netro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 08:19 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

I realise the rules don't differentiate, but any shoulder-to-the-head hit isn't 100% clean. He could have just as easily hit him on the shoulder, taken him out of the play, and not caused an injury. If you think he didn't know what he was doing, then you're not giving NHL players enough credit.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 08:22 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Though it was a clean hit and those things happen in hockey, should've been penalized for 2 minutes for interference. But having said that, the topic is mostly oriented versus was it clean or not, and it was.

But you live by the sword so at one point you will die by it as well.....If it applies to Lats, it has to apply to Phaneuf-Regehr.....

As far as who's take who's place, well we have Murray so they will go most definately go with him tonight. But I still prefer Bégin on the wings, so a Lapierre centering Bégin and Murray or Lats, could be fun to watch.....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 08:34 AM
Habber

I hope he's better soon, but he'll be lucky to play again this season. TSN had an interview with Souray after the game, and Downey was all he talked about. Good to see.

While the hit was borderline late, it was legal IMO. Downey made the pass, then dropped his head. In the meantime Regher was coming full steam ahead. If Downey sees him coming and keeps his head up, no big deal. You can't blame Regher for a head shot when Downey lowered it at the last second.

Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 08:41 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber View Post
I hope he's better soon, but he'll be lucky to play again this season. TSN had an interview with Souray after the game, and Downey was all he talked about. Good to see.

While the hit was borderline late, it was legal IMO. Downey made the pass, then dropped his head. In the meantime Regher was coming full steam ahead. If Downey sees him coming and keeps his head up, no big deal. You can't blame Regher for a head shot when Downey lowered it at the last second.
My problem is twofold:
1) Regehr took like 15 steps to get there. He was all the way on the other side of the ice.
2) Regehr's shoulder was nowhere near Downey's. Downey didn't make any quick move prior to the hit and his head was down the whole time, trying to get the puck. It wasn't sudden. Regehr was going for a (no pun intended) knockout hit.

It was clean by the rules, but not clean by sportsmanship.

Old
10-18-2006, 08:44 AM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
My problem is twofold:
1) Regehr took like 15 steps to get there. He was all the way on the other side of the ice.
2) Regehr's shoulder was nowhere near Downey's. Downey didn't make any quick move prior to the hit and his head was down the whole time, trying to get the puck. It wasn't sudden. Regehr was going for a (no pun intended) knockout hit.

Sounds like the Latendresse hit on DiMaio

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 08:45 AM
hockeyprincess

When I saw the hit on Aaron Downey, it reinforced something that I saw on "Off the Record" last year. Michael Landsberg asked Sidney Crosby who the toughest defenceman to play against was, and Sid the Kid said Robyn Regehr. Unfortunately, Aaron learned that the hard way.

That was the first ever hit on a player that ever wanted to make me do this:

I wish Aaron all the best and I hope that he gets back to tip-top shape.
The Habs always find a way to get their players back up to snuff.
Someone said that Garth Murray will be playing the next game... good luck, GM!

hockeyprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 08:47 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AymanD View Post
Except Latendresse got 5 and a game for charging, in exchange for ending DiMaio's career.

Regehr and Calgary went on a PP.

Old
10-18-2006, 08:50 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
Just curious, why do you feel we can't afford to wait to bring up another player when we have a full compliment of forwards at the moment? The only reason I can think of is you might not want Murray to play against Chicago but I can't think of a reason as to why, so I'm a bit stumped.
Good post, cut for the sake of brevity.

There may be no real urgency. But what if Murray (or any other forward, for that matter) can't go tonight? Groin pull, sore neck, hangover, E. Coli in the lettuce, anything can happen. If Dandenault were there, you could always dress your 7th d-man, and put Mathieu at forward. But he's out.

Most of last year, if I'm not mistaken, we went with 14 forwards, dressing 12 per game, a few times 11 (and keeping the other 2 naked, I guess). Now, we're at 12, and no spare on D. I don't think we want to play a 2nd game in 2 nights short a man in the line-up.

As for evaluating Downey, when a guy has to spend the night in hospital, you can count on him being out, at the very least, for a few days. Short-term, no need to evaluate anything, you know he's out.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 08:52 AM
Habnot

Quote:
Took the words right out of my mouth....

Habnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 08:59 AM
IcE ColD

Send a message via MSN to IcE ColD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
Good post, cut for the sake of brevity.

There may be no real urgency. But what if Murray (or any other forward, for that matter) can't go tonight? Groin pull, sore neck, hangover, E. Coli in the lettuce, anything can happen. If Dandenault were there, you could always dress your 7th d-man, and put Mathieu at forward. But he's out.

Most of last year, if I'm not mistaken, we went with 14 forwards, dressing 12 per game, a few times 11 (and keeping the other 2 naked, I guess). Now, we're at 12, and no spare on D. I don't think we want to play a 2nd game in 2 nights short a man in the line-up.

As for evaluating Downey, when a guy has to spend the night in hospital, you can count on him being out, at the very least, for a few days. Short-term, no need to evaluate anything, you know he's out.
I think you're right. For all I know, a NHL team needs at least 21 players on your active roster. Right now, since Bouillon is on the IR, and I guess Dandenault and Downey will be as well, we have 20 players. A call-up is indeed in the making. Now, will it be a forward or a defenseman, I don't know.

I guess calling up Lapierre would be a good move. But I'm not sure what it'd do for Kosts confidence, after the huge camp he had, to not be called-up first.

IcE ColD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 09:03 AM
oli500

Quote:
They were pretty much Identical hits. Both players did not see the body coming and both players just got rid of the puck,both players were in the same position so if Regehr hit was clean than latendresse hit was clean.

I hope downey is allright.

oli500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 09:08 AM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli500 View Post
They were pretty much Identical hits. Both players did not see the body coming and both players just got rid of the puck,both players were in the same position so if Regehr hit was clean than latendresse hit was clean.

I hope downey is allright.
Agreed. And I think both were tough, nasty but clean hits.

Old
10-18-2006, 09:08 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post

Hadn't really considered that bolded part, I see what you're getting at now. If worst were to come to worst tonight and we don't call anyone else up, I suppose we could just do what we did at times last year. Double shift Kovalev. Hopefully the extra ice time would wake him up fully and he'd go on a tear for a few games. Of course if it was him that ate the dodgy lettuce, then that would:
A/ throw a spanner in the works for the lines tonight and
B/ pressumably leave Kovalev naked in the press box.

Guess we'll see soon enough what Carbo/Gainey do about the situation. Hopefully it was strategy last night that made Carbo leave Samsonov off the ice in the 3rd, with the thinking that if he saves his energy tuesday, he will have more for wednesday and be better. Although, I suppose there is the slimmest of slim chances I could be wrong about that. Anyways, role on game time, work is starting to drag.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 09:09 AM
AD

Quote:
Hadn't really considered that bolded part, I see what you're getting at now. If worst were to come to worst tonight and we don't call anyone else up, I suppose we could just do what we did at times last year. Double shift Kovalev. Hopefully the extra ice time would wake him up fully and he'd go on a tear for a few games. Of course if it was him that ate the dodgy lettuce, then that would:
A/ throw a spanner in the works for the lines tonight and
B/ pressumably leave Kovalev naked in the press box.

Guess we'll see soon enough what Carbo/Gainey do about the situation. Hopefully it was strategy last night that made Carbo leave Samsonov off the ice in the 3rd, with the thinking that if he saves his energy tuesday, he will have more for wednesday and be better. Although, I suppose there is the slimmest of slim chances I could be wrong about that. Anyways, role on game time, work is starting to drag.
Dress Jarvis.

Old
10-18-2006, 09:11 AM
IcE ColD

Send a message via MSN to IcE ColD
Quote:
Dress Jarvis.
Nah... dress Carbo... Reggie Dunlop-style!!!

IcE ColD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 09:16 AM
Athlétique_Canadien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
No and no... Garth Murray.
Murray might be in some kind of doghouse right now. He's lightning fast but you have to wonder why he is the odd guy out.

Is he out of shape? Who knows. It's possible Kostitsyn trumps him in the depth chart if there is a problem with Murray.

The problem is, we'll never know what the shortcoming (if there is one) is.

Habs can carry 23 players. I suspect Kostitsyn will be recalled but he might not play at all.

Athlétique_Canadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 09:17 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHLÉTIQUE_CANADIEN View Post
Murray might be in some kind of doghouse right now. He's lightning fast but you have to wonder why he is the odd guy out.

Is he out of shape? Who knows. It's possible Kostitsyn trumps him in the depth chart if there is a problem with Murray.

The problem is, we'll never know what the shortcoming (if there is one) is.

Habs can carry 23 players. I suspect Kostitsyn will be recalled but he might not play at all.
Either way the practice time up in the big-league will do him some merit.

Old
10-18-2006, 09:38 AM
DicAnns

Quote:

well, if he did indeed take 15 steps to get there (which I think he did, but I'd like to see the replay again), it's called charging and it is not clean by the rule.

DicAnns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 09:41 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohabs73 View Post
well, if he did indeed take 15 steps to get there (which I think he did, but I'd like to see the replay again), it's called charging and it is not clean by the rule.
Well anyway if it was it wouldn't have been the only missed call last night. That missed high-stick, and Niinimaa's phantom slash were some among many.

Old
10-18-2006, 09:46 AM
DicAnns

Quote:
Well anyway if it was it wouldn't have been the only missed call last night. That missed high-stick, and Niinimaa's phantom slash were some among many.
agreed

but it really p!sses me off when a player's career is in jeopardy because of an illegal play on which there wasn't even a penalty called... like Saku's stick in the eye...

DicAnns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 10:12 AM
Marksman

Quote:
Just curious, why do you feel we can't afford to wait to bring up another player when we have a full compliment of forwards at the moment? The only reason I can think of is you might not want Murray to play against Chicago but I can't think of a reason as to why, so I'm a bit stumped.

Murray can play today, no problem, but thats just one half of the issue.

Personally I'd like to see our 13th forward practicing with the big team as soon as possible. This way he would be better prepared if another forward goes down, the substitute would be ready for the task both mentally and physically - and not getting called up last minute.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 10:12 AM
GoodKiwi

Get well soon!

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 10:13 AM
Istvan

If a "clean" hit, "within the rules" can result in a concussion then "the rules" need to be reviewed and altered. I personally think Regher showed a lack of sportsmanship and a lack of regard for a fellow player.

Istvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 10:15 AM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
I really hope the best for Downey, I saw him at the game day skate in Toronto and he worked so hard on the ice for an extra 45 minutes with Streit on skating and passing drills with Muller.
He was super nice to the kids in attendence giving them numerous pucks and taking pictures and signing autographs. He even brought one little kid on the ice after practice for a picture!

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote