HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mark Streit's first game

Old
10-18-2006, 09:08 AM
big_habs_fan

vCash: 500
Mark Streit's first game

Just wanted to get everyone's opinion - how do you think Streit performed?

Myself, I thought he did a real good job and feel very confident that he can step it up and be a productive part of our D. I also thought he really battled physically more so than last year. He seemed a bit stronger down low to me. Kudos to him for his performance and I hope he keeps it up.

big_habs_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 09:12 AM
Kirk Muller*

Yeah, he seemed to keep his own quite well. I frankly didn't notice him that much apart from a stretch in the 2nd period, but for that stretch he was quite good. He was not a powerplay liability and made generally good passes and plays.

Kirk Muller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 09:14 AM
Habs4Lyfe
Drive for 25

Personally...I feel like Streit held his own last night...him and Ninnimaa seemed to play well together...I only wish he would shoot more from the point!!!

Habs4Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 09:16 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4Lyfe View Post
Personally...I feel like Streit held his own last night...him and Ninnimaa seemed to play well together...I only wish he would shoot more from the point!!!
Of those two, it's Niinimaa who should be shooting. I think Janne got bogged up worrying about penalties, though. That "slashing" call was brutal.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 09:29 AM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
Of those two, it's Niinimaa who should be shooting. I think Janne got bogged up worrying about penalties, though. That "slashing" call was brutal.
Is it just me or does Janne always wrist it when he shoots from the point?

I really like Streit. He played with intensity and threw his weight around.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 09:33 AM
Bryzga lol*

I can't complain, he did his job and the Habs won, I couldn't be happier.

Bryzga lol* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 09:34 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fufonzo View Post
Is it just me or does Janne always wrist it when he shoots from the point?

I really like Streit. He played with intensity and threw his weight around.
His game is wristing it from the point, trying to get a tip. I'd rather see him mix it up a bit, taking a slapshot once in a while, but I think he's concentrating on stepping up defensively, which is more what we got him for.

Old
10-18-2006, 09:34 AM
Artyukhin*

it certianly was a diffrent Streit we saw last night was even being physcial .

if he plays like that the majority of games i really could get used to it .

loooked good in his first game. good job Mark

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 09:39 AM
mcphee

As long as Streit competes hard, I'm OK with him. A team can overpower him low, but he's not the only d man in the league like that. He seems like a smart player, he moves the puck well and recognizes the right play. The trick is for him to stay out of cycle situations that he can't defend.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 09:45 AM
Mike8

Streit's growing on me. I thought he was strong in transition last night and made good outlet passes, which is what I was most critical of him last year. He no longer played timid; instead, he kept his feet moving while looking for the outlet pass, which is a good adjustment for him to have made. (In fact, most MTL defensemen seem to make outlet passes while standing still ... which should be identified as a problem area)

I didn't think he was a factor last night, and I thought he was exposed down low and around the crease despite his best efforts on two occasions in particular, but I can see him contributing to Montreal's transition game and developing a niche role as a solid puck moving #6 D.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 09:45 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
As long as Streit competes hard, I'm OK with him. A team can overpower him low, but he's not the only d man in the league like that. He seems like a smart player, he moves the puck well and recognizes the right play. The trick is for him to stay out of cycle situations that he can't defend.
That's one place we're going to have to compensate for, because Dandenault is very good down low, along with Souray, Komisarek and Markov. However if Streit keeps playing with Niinimaa, then one of our strong forwards will be forced to come down to help, opening up the point.

I can't remember, but I think I recall Streit/Niinimaa playing mostly with the 3rd and 4th lines, which would be okay, since Begin, Johnson and Bonk are pretty strong in the corners. Did anyone notice anything different?

Old
10-18-2006, 09:56 AM
Ludo

From what I saw he was reliable, no brain cramps (that I can remember). Hell he was probably less of a liability than Dandy has been this year (penalties).

A job well done.

Ludo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 10:04 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
That's one place we're going to have to compensate for, because Dandenault is very good down low, along with Souray, Komisarek and Markov. However if Streit keeps playing with Niinimaa, then one of our strong forwards will be forced to come down to help, opening up the point.

I can't remember, but I think I recall Streit/Niinimaa playing mostly with the 3rd and 4th lines, which would be okay, since Begin, Johnson and Bonk are pretty strong in the corners. Did anyone notice anything different?
I like the way Dandy battles down low, but I don't like the way the refs view his battles. Even last year, the officials and Dandenault seem at odds, he gets hit with a lot of borderline calls imo.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 10:05 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludo View Post
From what I saw he was reliable, no brain cramps (that I can remember). Hell he was probably less of a liability than Dandy has been this year (penalties).
On at least a couple of Dandy's penalties, if watched agian they were unwarranted. Overall in this early season, imo, Dandy has played great.

As for Streit, I can't help it yet, I still feel very uncomfortable when Streit is on the ice in the defensive zone. Overall it wasn't a bad game for him, but on the other hand I honestly can't say I was impressed with him. Filled the role adaquately I guess.

The only play of his that really bothered me, was when we were killing a penalty, and Streit, who had lost his stick (that happened more than once to him last night...actually that happen alot to our players last night. Someone must of brought out the crappy sticks??) was in front of Huet and when a shot came at Huet instead of trying to block the shot by going down on the ice, he tried to make a kick save. Huet gave up the rebound which was promptly deposited in our net. I think if Streit is to continue to recieve PK time, one of the coaches should take him aside and teach him how to block shots....maybe give Craig Ludwig a call or something.

10-18-2006, 12:06 PM
baldrick

Overall I thought he played well, well enough for him and Ninima to get more ice time so the other four Dmen aren't overworked. Markov and Souray's game are slipping

baldrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 12:17 PM
Teufelsdreck

I see Streit as a fill-in, a #7 or #8. The best I can say for him is that I would prefer him to Traverse.

Unfortunately, he's not the only Hab Dman who has been guilty of defensive lapses. Besides the usual suspects (notably Souray and sometimes Rivet), I would add the name of the previously revered Markov.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 12:18 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
... and Streit, who had lost his stick (that happened more than once to him last night...actually that happen alot to our players last night. Someone must of brought out the crappy sticks??) ....
Keep in mind I don't play hockey, and never have, so feel free to correct me.

One thing I have noticed, or at least not seen Montreal do, is roll that adhesive stuff on their sticks. Other teams, I've seen the training staff rolling that on the extra sticks, and swapping sticks with players during the games. I haven't noticed this happening on the Montreal bench. It certainly would help some of the lost sticks I would think, though changing sticks so often might outweigh that change.

Old
10-18-2006, 01:07 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
On at least a couple of Dandy's penalties, if watched agian they were unwarranted. Overall in this early season, imo, Dandy has played great.
Agree

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote