HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

2013 Weather Thread

Closed Thread

Old
06-22-2013, 07:06 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

vCash: 500

Old
06-22-2013, 07:10 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post
August 2005 to September 2006

But the Superdome was definitely different; it was used as a shelter and there were two holes ripped across the top, as well as the incredible amounts of flooding.

Beyond that, would the Flames have to play in Saskatoon if there was no Saddledome? In the city at a smaller arena?
Well as far as amount of flooding goes... pretty hard to beat 10th row underwater. Players literally would be several feet under water right now skating on the ice.

There could be a lot of structural damage and ruined components to the building.

Flames brass says it's all supposedly insured so you've got the insurance adjuster process to get through and then physically getting workers in and ripping out and replacing seats and other parts of the building. Not likely a quick process.

Old
06-22-2013, 07:20 PM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 6964
More price gouging.

Disgusting!

Old
06-22-2013, 10:02 PM
doulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Buddha View Post
No, not napping. I learned that economics is the science of greed, an unintended outcome of the course, I'm sure, and a point that you might have missed.

It would be interesting watching someone attempt to teach economic theory with a class of single mothers with a couple of kids scraping by paycheck-to-paycheck on two low-paying full-time jobs, who may not have the money to afford a high priced bottled water or to be able to rent a hotel to stay in because of price-gouging.

Alberta has a lot of working class poor.
I can appreciate these sentiments fully. I lived and grew up in a single parent family where money was extremely tight.

However, proper care for those with less should only be enhanced with a properly financially run country, not more.

Anyways, it's clear that you have a very different understanding of how the economics in this situation would actually work than I do. Maybe I'm wrong and you're right.

I think we can both applaud the way people have rallied around one another in general and done a good job overall of helping in this particular situation.

I personally would hope governments would one day take a hard look at the damage they are doing to people with anti-gouging laws. I am guessing you support them. The beauty of a democracy I suppose

Old
06-22-2013, 10:48 PM
MetaOil1993

vCash: 450
Those inside pics of the Saddledome is disgusting

Hopefully they get it cleaned up soon.

Old
06-23-2013, 12:25 AM
Pomeranian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gret99zky View Post

This will feed 30 people?
I work at coop. A fruit tray is maybe 9 bucks. This is a picture of a special order gigantic tray. No price gouging. We suffered too with high river coop flooding. I had no power at home, busy day working helping neighbours.

Old
06-23-2013, 12:28 AM
Nunymare
Rinse, repeat

Send a message via MSN to Nunymare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomeranian View Post
I work at coop. A fruit tray is maybe 9 bucks. This is a picture of a special order gigantic tray. No price gouging. We suffered too with high river coop flooding. I had no power at home, busy day working helping neighbours.
Aren't those Costco fruit trays? I don't think they are usually 60 bucks..

Old
06-23-2013, 01:30 AM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos View Post
I can appreciate these sentiments fully. I lived and grew up in a single parent family where money was extremely tight.

However, proper care for those with less should only be enhanced with a properly financially run country, not more.

Anyways, it's clear that you have a very different understanding of how the economics in this situation would actually work than I do. Maybe I'm wrong and you're right.

I think we can both applaud the way people have rallied around one another in general and done a good job overall of helping in this particular situation.

I personally would hope governments would one day take a hard look at the damage they are doing to people with anti-gouging laws. I am guessing you support them. The beauty of a democracy I suppose
I work in the human service industry, so I see the damage on the other side of it--individuals and families in crisis and such. I'll give you an example from my own recent experience. I live in a community in Alberta where rents in the past two-to-three months have increased dramatically from $900 a month for a one bedroom apartment for a single person to $1750 a month and where families renting houses have seen their rents increase $1500-2000 more a month, basically over night. It's what the market will bear. There are no laws governing how much rents can increase by, only how frequently they can be increased. The term price-gouging has been thrown around, but there are no price-gouging laws in place to protect people from such rent increases. The additional economic strain imposed has an incredible human cost on kids, parents, single people and on working class families. Substance abuse, drug trafficking, suicide, spousal abuse, prostitution, theft--economic desperation forces people into some very undesirable circumstances. Many people have simply left our community because of the additional economic strain. Many are taking on additional jobs to support their families, which causes additional issues with absent parenting and kids getting into trouble, etc. Personally, I would like to see some laws in place to protect this from happening to people.

You are right. I don't think that we are going to convince one another on this issue. It's taken kind of a heavy turn for a hockey board anyhow. I certainly respect you as a poster, Doulos, but I doubt that we'll find a lot of common ground here.

As you said, the province-wide support for the flood victims and people-helping-people certainly restores any lost faith in humanity.

Old
06-23-2013, 03:50 AM
Del Preston
Pass to Purcell

Alberta Government ‏@YourAlberta
Price gouging is illegal and situations will be investigated. Here's how to file a complaint: http://servicealberta.ca/562.cfm

https://twitter.com/YourAlberta/stat...17805608837120

Old
06-23-2013, 05:17 AM
awesomo
HARD!

the NS river does look higher, buti never really paid attention in the past. that river is huge, thats a lot of water to cause it to overflow

Old
06-23-2013, 07:40 AM
CapsandOilers

It will be in the 90s most of the week here in the DC Metro Area.

Old
06-23-2013, 08:35 AM
Gord
Go Esks!

vCash: 1300
so back to talking about the weather in a weather thread,
I haven't been near the river in a couple of days (here in Edmonton).
How's the North Sask doing?

Old
06-23-2013, 10:02 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
I honestly don't know if has went up or not, but it's very dirty and lots of trees floating around that usually aren't.

Old
06-23-2013, 11:28 AM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I honestly don't know if has went up or not, but it's very dirty and lots of trees floating around that usually aren't.
Yeah. A friend said that he goes by the North Sask river to work and he's never seen it like it is. Apparently allot of huge trees floating down that river.

Old
06-23-2013, 11:41 AM
Shizuka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Yeah. A friend said that he goes by the North Sask river to work and he's never seen it like it is. Apparently allot of huge trees floating down that river.
I can confirm that, as a friend and I were heading downtown and took the LRT from the southside... the river was quite high, much higher than I've seen it before, and yes there were quite a few trees floating around.

Old
06-23-2013, 12:01 PM
Six in O6

I noticed last year around August the N. Sask was pretty high. Higher than it's been in my life time. I remember a few years back the River Queen couldn't take off because the river was too low. Now it seems quite the opposite. I've heard they've closed all the river valley trails and they closed a select few last year near the end of the season.

Old
06-23-2013, 12:45 PM
tv14

Medicine Hat is really in for it. If I remember correctly the Highwood, Bow, Elbow and Olldman Rivers all merge with the South Saskatchewan River before the city. All the rivers are experiencing severely high levels. Could be trouble, that's a lot of water. Stay safe everyone!

Old
06-23-2013, 04:00 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizuka View Post
I can confirm that, as a friend and I were heading downtown and took the LRT from the southside... the river was quite high, much higher than I've seen it before, and yes there were quite a few trees floating around.
I recall the Edmonton river valley was flooded. Late '90s, I think. There were many houses flooded. It wasn't as bad as this, but terrible for those affected. I'd never buy a house that close to a river. So tragic.

Old
06-23-2013, 04:03 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I recall the Edmonton river valley was flooded. Late '90s, I think. There were many houses flooded. It wasn't as bad as this, but terrible for those affected. I'd never buy a house that close to a river. So tragic.
Doesn't Katz have a house near the river?

Old
06-23-2013, 04:05 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
Doesn't Katz have a house near the river?
He used to. Not sure he still does. It was very high and water would never get that high.

Old
06-23-2013, 04:18 PM
czar99

For those of you who don't know. Go to the Bennett center in the river valley if you want a reminder of how high the North Saskatchewan River can get.

Old
06-23-2013, 04:34 PM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
He used to. Not sure he still does. It was very high and water would never get that high.
lol.

Did his 25,000 sq ft fortress just magically disappear?

Old
06-23-2013, 08:05 PM
PeakOil
Loyal To The Oil

Well here's some good news.

Water levels dropping on North Saskatchewan River.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...tch-jun23.html

Old
06-25-2013, 02:52 PM
joestevens29

Pic is from whitemud and 178, via former NHLer Brian Sutherby

Allison Currie ‏@AlleyDalley 4m
Mother Nature, F off "@GlobalEdmonton: Emergency crews respond to flooding in River Valley neighbourhood http://*******/1abFVNT #yeg #yegwx"

Old
06-25-2013, 03:15 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
I drive down river valley road everyday, it looks pretty swollen. You can definitely see that the water levels have raised.

Closed Thread