HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Was he worth it?

Old
10-17-2006, 04:30 PM
dulzhok

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
We had plenty undersized wingers.

We needed centers with skill and size.

Now you tell me, was it a good trade?
We need players with fight, dedication, a team-first attitude, and leadership. Skill is nice as well.

Give me a team full of undersized Scott Walkers, playing LW, RW, C, and D, and we are a playoff contender.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 10:06 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

No, you'd have a mash unit and your AHL team would be getting smoked nightly.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 10:43 PM
braindead

As a fan, I loved Walker. From the 1st day he worked hard, showed determination, and looked like a winner. I wanted to name him captain after the lockout just to show there were no hard feelings.

The following are not in dispute though:
1. He was oft-injured.
2. Wing was our strength.
3. Center (and size) were our weakness.

The following can't be proved from the outside and may in fact be false:
1. He had a team-first attitude.
2. He was a good influence in the room and a (good) leader.

Who knows if this trade will be judged as a straight up winner. I do know the Sharks smoked our small hurt team, we finally have size down the middle and we have a better player than Walker rotting in the AHL becuase he couldn't crack our top 9. I, for one, like the trade.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 11:57 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

For me it's too early to tell. I like Vasicek though, but I do miss Walker.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 07:32 AM
PredDave

Yesterday around 4pm I was listening to Espo & Todd on XM 204 (In The Slot) and they were going on & on about how the Hurricanes made out like bandits getting Walker. And how he's all this and all that... Funny, when he was with Nashville, he didn't get that much praise.

Oh well, like the previous posters, I think its still too early to judge Vasicek, but I do like what I've seen so far!

Before Walker's wrist / forearm injury last year, his gritty play (offensively & defensively) and his chemistry with Sullivan was second to none, but no fear, he'll be on the IR in another 10 - 15 games hehe

PredDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 08:11 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

If we traded Walker for Dumont and signed Vasichek would people still feel the same?

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 09:08 AM
vopatsrash

I seem to remember several posts at the time of the trade either here or np that questioned scott walker’s leadership. I was taken aback by it and no one ever expounded on it, so it might have been just someone bitter over the lockout comments, but more than one person said it, so I wouldn’t 100% assume that we got rid of a “leader” when some seemed to think it was addition by subtraction.

I think there are valid criticisms of how Poile built this year’s team and I still stand by my thoughts from last season that the style of Poile as a gm doesn’t necessarily match the style of Trotz as a coach. And, it looks bad now when Walker has 6 pts in 7 games, but if he has 25 points in 26 games in March, maybe we’ll think differently. Imo, this is the type of trade that can’t adequately be graded until after the season because of the injury history of both players and until we see the overall team results of the Predators who needed size at center.

Walker could finish with 80 points in 82 games and Vasicek could finish with 20 points in 50 games, but if Vasicek is healthy at the end of the season and makes a difference in the playoffs against the San Jose’s of the world, then the trade would be a good trade regardless of the regular season stats because that was most likely what Poile was looking for in making the trade.

It's highly questionable if he could make a difference in the playoffs under that scenario, considering last season, but my grade is imcomplete until I see.

vopatsrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 10:20 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by vopatsrash View Post
Walker could finish with 80 points in 82 games and Vasicek could finish with 20 points in 50 games, but if Vasicek is healthy at the end of the season and makes a difference in the playoffs against the San Jose’s of the world, then the trade would be a good trade regardless of the regular season stats because that was most likely what Poile was looking for in making the trade.
Agreed here.

No one on these boards is claiming that Walker is chopped liver. In fact, when healthy, Walker is a great player. He is a hard worker who can give you 15-25 goals.

However, given his injury history, depth at wing, and our need for a big center, it made him tradeable.

I was unimpressed with Walker's play in the playoffs last year. Of course the team didn't play that good either and Walker was coming back from injury, but his play was one that stuck out in my mind as horrible. Not that that was a reason to run him out of town, but just stating.

I really don't consider anyone on the team untradable (well except Raduuu!) if its for the right deal. Now was Vasicek the right deal, time will tell. But I'm happy that Poile made a move to address a weakness.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote