HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Sergei Kostitsyn to KHL

Old
06-20-2013, 06:56 PM
PFL615

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgess1978 View Post
Not sure they would need to terminate his contract. If SK wants to play a season in the KHL I would assume that the Preds could reach an agreement to "suspend" him, thus maintaining his NHL rights if he chooses to return
Nashville would not waste there time. They are probably celebrating right now at the money they will not waste on another year of him taking up a roster spot.

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 07:03 PM
Infinite Jest

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgess1978 View Post
Not sure they would need to terminate his contract. If SK wants to play a season in the KHL I would assume that the Preds could reach an agreement to "suspend" him, thus maintaining his NHL rights if he chooses to return
The KHL and NHL are supposed to honor the contracts of one another now. I assume it would be frowned upon to sign a player under contract, even with the permission of the team's GM. I'm sure there is an agreement to terminate SK's contract if he reaches a KHL agreement.

Infinite Jest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 11:50 AM
Flamesfan102

S.Kostitsyn exploring KHL options

Source: Joshua Cooper

Quote:
JoshuaCooper ‏@JoshuaCooper 1h
Poile says SK74 is exploring KHL options
Quote:
JoshuaCooper ‏@JoshuaCooper 1h
Poile said Kostitsyn would be on loan to the KHL
https://twitter.com/JoshuaCooper

Doesn't surprise me, the Predators weren't too pleased by his work ethic or dedication this past season.

Flamesfan102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 11:55 AM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan102 View Post

Doesn't surprise me, the Predators weren't too pleased by his work ethic or dedication this past season.
3 mil for 3 goals. Good Riddance.

The Preds will do more with the 3 mil savings than SK would bring to the team.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 11:58 AM
Marvelous Manked
Director of Glitter

If I'm a Predators fan, I'd be praying for this to go through.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 12:15 PM
preds1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classless Manked View Post
If I'm a Predators fan, I'd be praying for this to go through.
Yep, no complaints here.

preds1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 12:16 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

I believe Poile also stated that it needs to be cleared up before July 5th

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 02:38 PM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

His effort was bad, but underneath it is enough skill to flourish somewhere in the NHL. Not much different than Bryz in Philly, wrong guy for the system.

deytookerjaabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 03:02 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

I don't get all the hate. I've been pulling for him since he arrived in Nashville. However, he just hasn't been the same since his brother was suspended. Now if we loan him we probably still have him for a year if he ever comes back. This does put a very bad taste in us Preds fans mouths though. First Rad just bolts, now SK wants out too it seems. I don't think we'll be drafting Nich.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 03:10 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
Gotta blame someone for your problems.

Not crappy system. Crappy GM. Crappy coach. Crappy captain.

Blame Eastern Europeans first!

SimplySensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 03:14 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post

Yeah, Poile sucks as a GM, and Trotz couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag and that Shea Weber guy couldn't be a leader. I don't blame SK for bolting with those 3 killing his talent and mojo, couldn't be his work ethic or attitude.....

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 03:19 PM
Swedish playmaker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Yeah, Poile sucks as a GM, and Trotz couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag and that Shea Weber guy couldn't be a leader. I don't blame SK for bolting with those 3 killing his talent and mojo, couldn't be his work ethic or attitude.....
Even if it is his personal attitude I suppose the guy above was trying to point out that it gets tiresome seeing the failures of European players explained by anti-European propaganda. Kostitsyn didn't go to the bench and abandon his goalie vs Edmonton because he's European, he did so because he has got a poor work ethic - as an INDIVIDUAL.

(Notice that when US or Canadian players bust, their failure is explained as coming from a lack of individual motivation, but when European players fail, it's because they are europeans)

Last edited by ThirdManIn: 06-25-2013 at 03:24 PM. Reason: too much
Swedish playmaker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 03:22 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post

Yeah you're right. It's the fault of Poile, a guy who has been nominated for GM of the Year several times; Trotz, a guy who has been up for the Jack Adams several times; and Weber, a guy who was just barely beaten out for Norris twice in a row and led his team to their first two second round appearances in his first two years as captain. It has nothing to do with SK not being happy here. Why stop there? It's also our crappy goaltender! It has nothing to do with 50 points being his most successful NHL season. It has nothing to do with SK at all.

Nationality be damned, SK is the odd man out in your little placing blame fantasy. Three of the four people mentioned are fantastic at the jobs. The other has been good, not great.

I liked SK when he first came here, and I thought all of the hate he got was misplaced. I still think that. I also think, from having watched him over the past couple of seasons, that his heart just isn't in it in the NHL. He was happy and worked hard when he first got out of Montreal. I have no doubt that the pressure cooker that is the Canadiens and Montreal sports media got to him. He was just as happy when his brother came over here in 2011. Something changed after that summer. He is no longer happy, and you can tell it on the ice.

If the kid will be happier playing in the KHL, let him. If it benefits him and the team, that is fine by me. It has absolutely jack **** to do with where he was born. It has to do with performance and what is best for all parties involved.

So maybe next time make better assumptions, huh?

ThirdManIn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 03:24 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxenstierna View Post
Even if it is his personal attitude I suppose the guy above was trying to point out that it gets tiresome seeing the failures of European players explained by anti-European propaganda. Kostitsyn didn't go to the bench and abandon his goalie vs Edmonton because he's European, he did so because he has got a poor work ethic - as an INDIVIDUAL.

(Notice that when US or Canadian players bust, their failure is explained as coming from a lack of individual motivation, but when European players fail, it's because they are europeans)
I can agree with that. And if Poile already said he'd have no problem drafting Nich, so I know Poile agrees.

Sk is lazy and has an attitude issue now. It has nothing to do with where he's from.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 03:27 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I've seen all of ONE comment that even hinted at nationality being part of this, and it was a comment about Radulov and SK (possibly) going to the KHL leaving a bad taste in the mouths of (some) Preds fans.

The first two posters to fully go into the nationality thing were SimplySensational and Oxenstierna. Let's not pretend like this has been a thread designed to bash players from European countries when it hasn't been that at all. The fastest way to turn it into one, however, is to pretend like that's how it has been this entire time while railing against what hasn't even been said.

Old
06-26-2013, 02:37 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Credit to Dave is a Killer on the Preds board

https://twitter.com/doronin_d/status/349970436072816641

Quote:
#preds sergey kostitsyn agrees on one-year contract wigh avangard omsk, izvestia reports #khl #nhl

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 02:41 PM
PFL615

Good for Preds amd SK

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 02:41 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Good luck to him. Hopefully the move makes him happier.

Old
06-26-2013, 03:48 PM
caley

McKenzie retweeted the following.
Quote:
Russian media reports that Sergei Kostitsyn has signed with KHL Avangard Omsk. So the SK74 & AK46 NHL saga is over. @nhlpredators
Poile was pretty blunt about this, saying something like "You can't pay someone $3 million and get 3 goals in return." Nashville plans to loan him out, so they'll carry his cap hit next year, unless things change.

06-26-2013, 03:48 PM
caley

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
McKenzie retweeted the following.

Poile was pretty blunt about this, saying something like "You can't pay someone $3 million and get 3 goals in return." Nashville plans to loan him out, so they'll carry his cap hit next year, unless things change.
Right after I posted this, Igor Eronko tweeted that it's not a done deal but "close".

caley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 04:06 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Isn't it the cap hit minus league minimum ($525k) plus $375k?

Old
06-26-2013, 04:08 PM
caley

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Isn't it the cap hit minus league minimum ($525k) plus $375k?
Not sure, the article I read seemed to suggest the whole cap. I don't know why the Preds and SK wouldn't just terminate his contract, to be honest.

caley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 04:32 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Aren't they not allowed to mutually agree to terminate the contract? I thought the Preds would have to buy him out if they wanted to get rid of his contract.

From what I understand from reading the relevant portion of the CBA and an explanation on Cap Geek, "buried contract", or NHL SPCs for players playing in other leagues, the cap hit remains "less the league minimum plus $375,000", or $900k. That could just mean players sent to the AHL, but the way the CBA is worded it seems like it applies to any player on an NHL SPC playing in any other league.

Old
06-26-2013, 04:41 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan102 View Post

How does a guy who played on the PK have a poor work ethic? I don't get that sort of comment. You can't be lazy or have a poor work ethic if you're a penalty killer.

glenngineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 04:51 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
How does a guy who played on the PK have a poor work ethic? I don't get that sort of comment. You can't be lazy or have a poor work ethic if you're a penalty killer.
Didn't he just prove you can? SK got really unhappy, it showed in his play, I hope the KHL makes him happy. Not looking forward to him railing on the league abroad, sure the KHL media will eat up every soundbite he has to offer in terms of this.

But his play was uninspired a lot this last year. PK or no PK as a rival fan I could see it. I don't hate the guy, unhappiness will cause problems in everyone and it bleeds into all areas of your life. Hopefully this gives him what he is looking for.

Not expecting the Preds to hit the upper cap numbers, so the buyout/termination seems moot. They just carry the caphit while not playing/paying him.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote