HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

David Poile media availability 6/25

Old
06-25-2013, 11:23 AM
NoNecksCurse

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
What indication did you get last year with no practice and a few games that he may not make the roster?
He clearly passed in a limited amount of time and definitely held his own. Maybe i was watching a different guy.. I dunno
his skill with the puck is undeniable.. but away from the puck, there's alot of work to be done. and as good of moves as he has/made with the puck, i think he had a single secondary assist in 6 games. FF making the team is definitely not a lock.

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 11:26 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevFist View Post
If you're at 4 and Drouin, Barkov and Mac are all gone, you HAVE to take Jones. He's BPA at that point, and you're crazy to not take him. Plus, it's generally easier to pick up a forwardthan it is a defenseman.

Maybe Poile isn't sold on Josi panning out as a top pairing guy.
If he wasn't sold on Josi being a top pairing guy, no way would he had signed Josi to that contract.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 11:26 AM
PFL615

I saw him make several great plays that the other Pred didn't finish. The away from the puck game will come with practice which he hasn't got yet. Be hard to see him not making the roster.

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 11:28 AM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

Quote:
What indication did you get last year with no practice and a few games that he may not make the roster?
He clearly passed in a limited amount of time and definitely held his own. Maybe i was watching a different guy.. I dunno
Small sample size; remember when Blum was first called up? He passed his audition, then was terrible next season. Blum had more GP as well.

Good info Goc; I found the Seth Jones comment interesting even if it doesn't come into play. Very curious as to which Top 6 guy he has in his sights and what the cost is.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 11:28 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

One thing I won't question Poile on and that's his ability to analyze defensive prospects. If he's saying Jones is the best player in the draft, then Jones probably is an incredible talent.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 11:36 AM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
One thing I won't question Poile on and that's his ability to analyze defensive prospects. If he's saying Jones is the best player in the draft, then Jones probably is an incredible talent.
as blum hasnt even been qualified and ellis isnt developing like we want.... lol just kidding.

i agree.

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 11:45 AM
braindead

Awesome. Poile is trying to drive up the value of Jones to counteract Roy trying to drive him down... funny stuff if you think about it.

EDIT: and maybe both are preparing their fan base for an unpopular choice.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 11:49 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
If you're at 4 and Drouin, Barkov and Mac are all gone, you HAVE to take Jones. He's BPA at that point, and you're crazy to not take him. Plus, it's generally easier to pick up a forwardthan it is a defenseman.
Go back and look at the top 5 players drafted the last, say 20 years and look at the defensemen vs forwards. Two stick out, Niedermayer and Pronger but they had way better numbers then Jones did. In the top 5, it is much better to draft a forward then a defenseman.

Take that aside, and look at how difficult it's been for the Predators to draft, trade for or sign a legitimate scorer. Those defending Poile for not drafting a scorer have said that well the team didn't draft in the top five to get that player. Now we have a chance.

Last edited by Jarnberg: 06-25-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 11:55 AM
Nothing Is New

This is the first time I have really doubted Poile. But I don't know him that well - maybe he's fogging things up. He's not going to be able to go out and plug in a top line free agent scorer - there's not enough of them around. And without one coming from the draft -next year will be business as usual - average D, no scoring and a good D pipeline. Hope not.

Nothing Is New is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 11:58 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Couple of tweets to add:

JoshuaCooper
Quote:
Poile said in terms of QOs with Blum and Halischuk, he may still eventually send them out. Looking at trade possibilities
Quote:
Poile says Jeremy Smith will not be tendered a QO

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 12:00 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Couple of tweets to add:

JoshuaCooper
Exactly.

06-25-2013, 12:18 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Go back and look at the top 5 players drafted the last, say 20 years and look at the defensemen vs forwards. Two stick out, Niedermayer and Pronger but they had way better numbers then Jones did. In the top 5, it is much better to draft a forward then a defenseman.

Take that aside, and look at how difficult it's been for the Predators to draft, trade for or sign a legitimate scorer. Those defending Poile for not drafting a scorer have said that well the team didn't draft in the top five to get that player. Now we have a chance.
I think you should take into consideration how the game has evolved. Big oafs do not pass as defenseman anymore as you have to be able to move the puck. Jones does that, and has size. Once he learns how to use it he will be a very good player. If we have a need on the second pair and Jones fills it, so what? Poile can try and find a proven scorer in a trade. If Jones fell to us and our top 4 is set for the next 5 years minimum, we have assets to move in Ellis/Blum/Ekholm that can net us something of value

token grinder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 12:33 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
I think you should take into consideration how the game has evolved. Big oafs do not pass as defenseman anymore as you have to be able to move the puck. Jones does that, and has size. Once he learns how to use it he will be a very good player. If we have a need on the second pair and Jones fills it, so what? Poile can try and find a proven scorer in a trade. If Jones fell to us and our top 4 is set for the next 5 years minimum, we have assets to move in Ellis/Blum/Ekholm that can net us something of value
I understand what you are saying and agree to a point, but a few things.

1 - I wouldn't expect Jones to be playing top 4 next year. Maybe in a few years. You could argue the same for a forward as well of course.
2 - I'll believe it when I see it regarding Poile trading for a proven scorer. He hasn't really done it yet and really doesn't use his assets that well when he has abundances. The only thing that springs to mind was Parent in the Forsberg trade. But that was a deadline rental with the owner selling the team in a few months.

If I'm looking at this draft's top 5, I think of 2006, except 2013's forwards project to be better offensively.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 01:02 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
If you're at 4 and Drouin, Barkov and Mac are all gone, you HAVE to take Jones. He's BPA at that point, and you're crazy to not take him. Plus, it's generally easier to pick up a forward than it is a defenseman.

Maybe Poile isn't sold on Josi panning out as a top pairing guy.

If we take Jones, it will take all my restraint and decorum not to smash every breakable item I own into a wall. He's supremely talented, but if take a defenseman, it shows that the Predators, when faced with an opportunity to breathe new life and energy into the club, cannot get out of their own way.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 01:21 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
If we take Jones, it will take all my restraint and decorum not to smash every breakable item I own into a wall. He's supremely talented, but if take a defenseman, it shows that the Predators, when faced with an opportunity to breathe new life and energy into the club, cannot get out of their own way.
So, if the big 3 are gone, you're going Nich (assuming no trade)?

Old
06-25-2013, 01:24 PM
Persona5

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post

If Mack, Drouin, and Barkov are gone you have no choice. You can take the russian but he is a huge risk compared to Jones and risk taking this high in the draft is a really bad idea.

Persona5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 01:27 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

I would take Jones at #4. He is supposed to be great at starting a rush and making the breakout pass (Suter traits). We missed that this past season. I won't complain much as long as we stay in the top 4.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 02:22 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

I would be both utterly shocked (and disappointed) if Jones falls to fourth. No chance of it happening IMO, but you have to take him if he's there. I hate sounding like a spoiled brat, but I'd be disappointed if that happened.

Even though I dont think he goes top 4, it's nice to see the front office not taking a prejudiced view on Nich. It's refreshing considering the state of this board. At some point you have to get over Radulov.

Thanks for posting this summary op.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 02:33 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
I would be both utterly shocked (and disappointed) if Jones falls to fourth. No chance of it happening IMO, but you have to take him if he's there. I hate sounding like a spoiled brat, but I'd be disappointed if that happened.

Even though I dont think he goes top 4, it's nice to see the front office not taking a prejudiced view on Nich. It's refreshing considering the state of this board. At some point you have to get over Radulov.

I agree with you, in some ways I'd be disappointed but I realize we will get a hell of a player at 4.

It is good to see Poile come out and say that and not hold it against the kid for being Russian.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 02:56 PM
Brewhousesouth15

Just a thought. So if the forwards are supposed to be getting bigger and stronger, does that take Drouin out of the mix?

Last edited by Brewhousesouth15: 06-25-2013 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Spelling
Brewhousesouth15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 03:00 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewhousesouth15 View Post
Just a thought. So if the forwards are supposed to be getting bigger and stronger, does that take Drouin out of the mix?
Not when Patrick Kane just won the Conn Smythe less then 24 hours ago.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 03:00 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

As far as the cap goes, we currently sit with $12.1 in room with Spaling and Brennen ($1.6 combined last year) being the only ones most likely re-signed (maybe Yip, UFA) as well as a backup. Not signing Blum and Hali saved $1.3.

So, as I see it, we should have around $7-ish after signing a backup, the RFA's, and the #4. If SK hits the K, that bumps up to $10-ish.

Old
06-25-2013, 03:13 PM
PFL615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post

Jones won't fall to 4th no need to worry yourself. The best Dman to come out of the draft in 20 years is not going to go past 1 or 2. It's simple.
#1 -Mac or Jones
#2 -Mac or Jones
#3 -Barkov or Druin
#3 Barkov/Druin/Trade.

Book it!

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 03:15 PM
Top 6 Spaling

I am LIVID about Hali and Blum. Absolutely livid. Not qualifying them is absolutely horrible asset management, and saying so just makes their value even smaller.

Hopefully he can get a 2nd for both or something.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 03:16 PM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:
Jones won't fall to 4th no need to worry yourself. The best Dman to come out of the draft in 20 years is not going to go past 1 or 2. It's simple.
#1 -Mac or Jones
#2 -Mac or Jones
#3 -Barkov or Druin
#3 Barkov/Druin/Trade.

Book it!
Jones isn't the best defenseman in 20 years. Not by a longshot. No one is dumb enough to even claim that.

DontCallPlayersStuds is offline   Reply With Quote