HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

David Poile media availability 6/25

Old
06-25-2013, 05:47 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
Offseason plans: top six F, top 4 D, backup goaltender
Is that the offseason plans for this year, or pretty much any of the last 15 years?

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 05:56 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Nvm OGIAAG summed it up

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 06:02 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

I heard on the radio that Poile said the reason they're not bringing back Blum or Halischuck was because he wants the team to get bigger

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 06:26 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Comments on Blum and Hali show me a GM who is unable to move assets for value. I have no idea how Poile puts himself in this position so consistently other than to say he is patient to a fault - blessing and a curse.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 06:37 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Great stuff. Thanks for the recap

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 06:42 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Comments on Blum and Hali show me a GM who is unable to move assets for value. I have no idea how Poile puts himself in this position so consistently other than to say he is patient to a fault - blessing and a curse.
In order to get value for Blum, he would have had to have traded him 2 years ago, but at that point his "value" was as a defenseman on this team.

He played that value down, not Poile.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 07:28 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
In order to get value for Blum, he would have had to have traded him 2 years ago, but at that point his "value" was as a defenseman on this team.

He played that value down, not Poile.
Of course he did. Hal's as well.

Poile also didn't move one of our glut of defenseman or glut of grinders either. It works both ways.

06-25-2013, 08:24 PM
PFL615

Quote:
The hype on Jones is comparable to what it was on both Hedman and Larsson, and nowhere near what it was on Erik Johnson.
Good try but your not even close. Simple research and google proves that.

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 08:51 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
The hype on Jones is comparable to what it was on both Hedman and Larsson, and nowhere near what it was on Erik Johnson.
I have to disagree with that. Bouwmeester is the only one I can remember that came close. We've heard about Jones before last years draft.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 09:24 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
Good try but your not even close. Simple research and google proves that.
I was alive and following the draft.

Hedman in particular was the next Chris Pronger. He was going to go before the talked-about-for-5-years John Tavares(a better player than Mackinnon projects, IMO).

Erik Johnson was considered a can't-miss, superstar franchise defenseman--although it's tough to judge him, given that he missed an entire year in the early going.

Seth Jones isn't even the consensus number one, at this point. Throwing out Colorado's words, Bob McKenzie said "of ten scouts I talked to, 8 ranked Mackinnon before Jones."

Old
06-26-2013, 01:29 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
So, if the big 3 are gone, you're going Nich (assuming no trade)?
Yes, absolutely, unless we're trying to build a defense that concedes 0 goals over the course of an 82 game season, which, for all intents and purposes, is impossible.

Jones is a tremendous talent, but there comes a point this high in the draft, and when needs become so painfully obvious to anyone who watches a team for five minutes, that need takes precedent over BPA. The Predators' coaches, management, and fans have, at varying times, pissed, moaned, griped, whined, run to the ends their chains and barked, complained, shrugged, speculated, golly-gee'd, and cried about this team's need for world class scoring forwards to go with our world class defensemen and goaltender, and that's exactly what's going to happen for most of next week once free agency opens. This is the organization's chance to stop saying, "we did the best we could, but we came up short" and ****ing do something about it. Nobody knows when a chance like this will come along again. It's an opportunity to radically alter the team's culture. Drafting a defenseman would be a complete waste of that opportunity.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 01:47 AM
braindead

WFOME, I actually dug out your excellent 2009 draft package when I saw the debate about whether Hedman was hyped as much as Jones. (He was.... you had him #1 overall, before JT, with some awesome quotes).

Do you do the package any more????? I can only imagine the time that went into it. It was one of the best I've ever seen and a blast to read (and re-read tonight... too much time on my hands).

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 07:31 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
Quote:
True but with blum you can somewhat understand him not wanting to dump him for a low pick. The kid did show promise and as has been said when he played up to his potential he had more value to us as a player than he could have returned in trade. Then when his game went completely to hell his trade value was so low it made sense to just hang on to him and see if he could recover. But now with his QO due, poile either has to invest 715K and a roster spot in hopes that he gets it together this coming year, or else let him go. It was a reasonable gamble that didn't pay off

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 07:54 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Yes, absolutely, unless we're trying to build a defense that concedes 0 goals over the course of an 82 game season, which, for all intents and purposes, is impossible.

Jones is a tremendous talent, but there comes a point this high in the draft, and when needs become so painfully obvious to anyone who watches a team for five minutes, that need takes precedent over BPA. The Predators' coaches, management, and fans have, at varying times, pissed, moaned, griped, whined, run to the ends their chains and barked, complained, shrugged, speculated, golly-gee'd, and cried about this team's need for world class scoring forwards to go with our world class defensemen and goaltender, and that's exactly what's going to happen for most of next week once free agency opens. This is the organization's chance to stop saying, "we did the best we could, but we came up short" and ****ing do something about it. Nobody knows when a chance like this will come along again. It's an opportunity to radically alter the team's culture. Drafting a defenseman would be a complete waste of that opportunity.
Fully agree.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 08:36 AM
PFL615

Agree with Hedman to an extent. I don't think he was as well rounded and NHL ready like Jones is being projected to be.
Should be an interesting weekend. I would like to be listening to the phone lines when trades come in to Poile for the #4 on Sunday. If he said he has already had some great offers. I can only imagine what will come through on Sunday.

Last edited by TMI: 06-26-2013 at 12:43 PM. Reason: not getting into that, even a little
Old
06-26-2013, 08:50 AM
Preddownsouth

Quote:
Oh good grief. Blum and Hali are tire fires. I have never understood how Blum has been put on this pedestal by some Preds fans. His body of work overall shows how marginal a player he is. He was pretty good for a very small portion of his career yet some people hold on to that with both hands.

I am no Poile apologist, but I disagree Poile puts himself in this position consistently. I seem to recall that he had an aging player, vastly underperforming, come to him and demand a trade. Not only was Poile able to trade him and get his salary off the books here, he was able to get a kid back with the last name of Forsberg - who has a decent chance of being a pretty damn good player for this team. I think he was able to move an asset for pretty good value that time.

Preddownsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 09:19 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

thinking back, Blum screwed us, and possibly himself, with one or two games.

I remember Blum being called up just before the trade deadline in 2011, and pretty much everyone believed he was being showcased for a trade. IIRC the rumor was we were going to get Smid from the Oil for Blum.

And then Blum plays lights out in his showcase game and we end up keeping him. He played well the rest of the year and into the playoffs and then went straight into the crapper.

have to wonder how different his career might have been had he played for the defense starved Oil instead of us

also would be interesting to see if we thought Poile had done well by getting Smid(who was a pending UFA I think) I'd Blum had ended up playing well for the Oil

Old
06-26-2013, 09:34 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post

I remember Blum being called up just before the trade deadline in 2011, and pretty much everyone believed he was being showcased for a trade. IIRC the rumor was we were going to get Smid from the Oil for Blum.

And then Blum plays lights out in his showcase game and we end up keeping him. He played well the rest of the year and into the playoffs and then went straight into the crapper.

have to wonder how different his career might have been had he played for the defense starved Oil instead of us

also would be interesting to see if we thought Poile had done well by getting Smid(who was a pending UFA I think) I'd Blum had ended up playing well for the Oil
Not to mention, Blum's "emergence" directly resulted in Franson being ruled expendable.

Old
06-26-2013, 09:38 AM
PFL615

Im not sure what it hurt for Poile to come out and say what he did in regard to Blum and Halischuck. They were going to be in the same position either way. Teams were going to know they have not recieved a QO. So what is the big deal?

Old
06-26-2013, 10:55 AM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post

I think Blum screwed us more by moping when he was sent down to Milwaukee that second year, and by being unable to clearly assert himself over defensemen he is more talented than since then. Kid has the tools, but I'm not so sure he has the toolbox to really put it all together.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 12:00 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

First: I think it is naive to say that Poile is not a patient man. You can disagree with my comments on it being a blessing as well as a curse, but his actions and personality type is that of a patient man. This approach can be clearly seen in the management of this team.

Second: using an example of an underperforming forward, with uninspired play, forcing Poile's hand with a trade request does not disprove that Poile is a patient man. I realize he could have ignored the request. To counter that, an argument could be made that he waited to long on a player who was uninterested in playing for the Predators this year. I see both sides of the argument and believe Poile did quite well.

Third: Anytime you publicly announce players will not be back with the team, you weaken your bargaining position. DP can easily backtrack on this and simply qualify the two. I hope that he looks to trade them at the draft and qo them prior to losing them if he finds no takers.

Fourth: Blum has clearly driven his own bus into the mud. He has himself to blame. Hali - meh - I just think he is your typical grinder who is in Trotzs doghouse. My point on the matter is merely this: these are assets that have been devalued due to the waiting/patience. I can understand the decisions in a vacuum. However, collectively, this occurs on a wide basis. We hold on to assets generally, and this policy sees many devalued. JMO.

I think DP is a good if not great GM - please do not hear what I am not saying.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 12:02 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
First: I think it is naive to say that Poile is not a patient man. You can disagree with my comments on it being a blessing as well as a curse, but his actions and personality type is that of a patient man. This approach can be clearly seen in the management of this team.

Second: using an example of an underperforming forward, with uninspired play, forcing Poile's hand with a trade request does not disprove that Poile is a patient man. I realize he could have ignored the request. To counter that, an argument could be made that he waited to long on a player who was uninterested in playing for the Predators this year. I see both sides of the argument and believe Poile did quite well.

Third: Anytime you publicly announce players will not be back with the team, you weaken your bargaining position. DP can easily backtrack on this and simply qualify the two. I hope that he looks to trade them at the draft and qo them prior to losing them if he finds no takers.

Fourth: Blum has clearly driven his own bus into the mud. He has himself to blame. Hali - meh - I just think he is your typical grinder who is in Trotzs doghouse. My point on the matter is merely this: these are assets that have been devalued due to the waiting/patience. I can understand the decisions in a vacuum. However, collectively, this occurs on a wide basis. We hold on to assets generally, and this policy sees many devalued. JMO.

If Poile can't find a trade, they simply wont be qualified. He said as much in that second interview. The org is moving on from them, one way or another.

Old
06-26-2013, 12:07 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:

I agree and I think one reason Poile has tended to hoard our assets and possibly miss out on some trade return is he has never had the luxury of being able to spend himself out of a mistake. Other teams with big budgets can dump underperforming assets willy-nilly and if injuris or poor play by the remaining roster puts them in a bind they go out and overpay for a UFA to fill the hole.

Old
06-26-2013, 12:14 PM
braindead

Quote:
Hali - meh - I just think he is your typical grinder who is in Trotzs doghouse.
Don't mean to take the thread down a side road but Hali reminds me of Andrew Brunette when he was here: great hands in close, able to score, slow feet and never able for whatever reason to make Trotz at all happy.

We kicked Brunette to the curb in a hurry and he took his slow feet on a long, successful tour of the league. I don't know if Hali can do that as successfully but I think a team should take a shot at him.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 12:45 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
Don't mean to take the thread down a side road but Hali reminds me of Andrew Brunette when he was here: great hands in close, able to score, slow feet and never able for whatever reason to make Trotz at all happy.

We kicked Brunette to the curb in a hurry and he took his slow feet on a long, successful tour of the league. I don't know if Hali can do that as successfully but I think a team should take a shot at him.
It's cool. This thread has about 14 different directions it can take.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote