HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread XXIV: Season over. It begins...

Closed Thread

Old
06-25-2013, 05:50 PM
ponokanocker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
If the alternative is another Horcoffian contract then yes. Of course we could always sign Gagner for one or two more years and avoid the pitfalls of a boat anchor long term deal. That would be preferable to an untradeable deal.
While I agree that Gagner's contract sounds like it is going to be less than ideal, Bozak's will be worse due to being a UFA.

Old
06-25-2013, 05:51 PM
oilphan

You'd better hold Gillis back from jumping on this deal. Maybe we can add Smyth and get Kesler as well.

Old
06-25-2013, 05:53 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
More MACT
On Trading Down: Stu believes in a drop off at 14, MacT sees it high very unlikely to move that far down if they do, feels drop off farther up.
  1. Seth Jones
  2. Nathan MacKinnon
  3. Jonathan Drouin
  4. Aleksander Barkov
  5. Sean Monahan
  6. Elias Lindholm
  7. Valeri Nichushkin
  8. Darnell Nurse
  9. Nikita Zadorov
  10. Rasmus Ristolainen
  11. Hunter Shinkaruk
  12. Max Domi
  13. Bo Horvat
  14. Curtis Lazar

06-25-2013, 05:59 PM
Bankerguy

vCash: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallydull View Post
I really do NOT like the kind of player Clutterbuck is and don't really want that kind of attitude around the locker room.

I wouldn't be adverse to this if he wasn't asking for 5 million. If he wanted 4ish I'd be ok with trying him out.

Hmm, that's actually an interesting idea. Is he a UFA coming up or is he someone we'd have to trade for? If it's someone to trade for I'm not sure Washington would be willing to give him up.

I don't think it's so much that we need top 4 (Petry, Schultz/Smid, Belov) but moreso that we need a legit #1 - that's where we're going to run into problems in terms of acquisition.

Absolutely agree with this last part!
Respectfully disagree with the top 4 thing. Petry Schultz smid belov is very below avg. They may be top 4 dmen on the oilers..but not so much on other teams :S
Canucks have 4 dmen better than the oilers best dman. I think that an upgrade there would really help the oil.

Laich has a lot of years left but if he returns to form, he makes whatever team he plays for much better. It's a risk no doubt, but isnt eveything?

Bozak says he wants 5 but i could see him getting 4ish

Cal clutterbuck: I find it hard to say "no i dont want this player on my team because he sucks off the ice" He brings exactly what the oilers need.... size and hitting !
What brought on these lockerroom cancer rumors anyways? i missed the story

Old
06-25-2013, 06:03 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
This is just my gut feel... not based on anything I've read or heard specifically BUT I think Nichushkin just might be higher up on the charts with the Oilers than we generally think he is.

A lot of us are somewhat by default rulling Nichushkin out because he's a winger BUT the Oilers might very well be content to have RNH and Gagner down the middle and upgrading the size of their top 9 is obviously a stated goal.

Nichushkin has size, speed and skill... deadly combination that is exactly what the Oilers need in their top 6/9.

I think the Oilers would seriously consider taking him if he was there at #7 and Monahan/Lindholm were both gone AND maybe even if Lindholm was still on the board as well.

I don't think they'd be averse to obtaining young, skilled, big, speedy players at any position and Nichushkin fits that to a T.

Nothing really new... but in my view, I just think he is much more "in the mix" than most of us think he is.

Old
06-25-2013, 06:03 PM
misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilrider View Post
Would you trade Horcoff and Belanger for Luongo?

This is just hypothetical, not a rumor, but I'm curious. I guess I'm on the side of not thinking Luongo would be so terrible. His cap hit is good right now, and will likely stay that way for some time. At the end of the contract if he wants to retire, couldn't we just buy out the contract without it having such a major cap hit?
I'm a fan of Luongo, and definitely consider him one of the top goalies in the league, but unless he's bought out and comes with a new contract, I'm not touching him with a 10' pole. As much as the Horcoff/Belanger contracts aren't good, neither are the cap detriment that Luongo's is (with the potential for it to be REALLY bad down the road). For one, Belanger's deal is less than $2M and is done after this year. And Horcoff plays a position of need in a role of need, and is only signed for another 2 years. They could buy him out next year for peanuts and be rid of the contract completely with no cap hit and only $2M out of pocket.

06-25-2013, 06:09 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Are they really?

How is Bozak a downgrade on Gagner?
Bozak's better at faceoffs. That's about it. He's also going to cost a lot more thanks to Kessel carrying him along

06-25-2013, 06:10 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
  1. Seth Jones
  2. Nathan MacKinnon
  3. Jonathan Drouin
  4. Aleksander Barkov
  5. Sean Monahan
  6. Elias Lindholm
  7. Valeri Nichushkin
  8. Darnell Nurse
  9. Nikita Zadorov
  10. Rasmus Ristolainen
  11. Hunter Shinkaruk
  12. Max Domi
  13. Bo Horvat
  14. Curtis Lazar
Decent list... I think Wennberg is in the top 14 though as well.

Edit...

I think Mantha, Pulock &, Morrissey would be really nice picks as well past the top 14.

Old
06-25-2013, 06:15 PM
stoff

Many of us have wondered if this would be possible. Well we have an answer.

@NYP_Brooksie: NHL has notified GMs that league will not allow player to be traded, amnestied and then re-signed by original club, Post has learned.

Old
06-25-2013, 06:18 PM
s7ark

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoff View Post

@NYP_Brooksie: NHL has notified GMs that league will not allow player to be traded, amnestied and then re-signed by original club, Post has learned.
Thanks for that. I am glad the league clarified it. I wonder if the PA will protest this?

Old
NeutralZone

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoff View Post

Interesting. Doesn't rule out a trade to amnesty buyout as a way of saving money/effectively trading cash though.

Old
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
This is just my gut feel... not based on anything I've read or heard specifically BUT I think Nichushkin just might be higher up on the charts with the Oilers than we generally think he is.

A lot of us are somewhat by default rulling Nichushkin out because he's a winger BUT the Oilers might very well be content to have RNH and Gagner down the middle and upgrading the size of their top 9 is obviously a stated goal.

Nichushkin has size, speed and skill... deadly combination that is exactly what the Oilers need in their top 6/9.

I think the Oilers would seriously consider taking him if he was there at #7 and Monahan/Lindholm were both gone AND maybe even if Lindholm was still on the board as well.

I don't think they'd be averse to obtaining young, skilled, big, speedy players at any position and Nichushkin fits that to a T.

Nothing really new... but in my view, I just think he is much more "in the mix" than most of us think he is.
I think you're right and I wouldn't mind Nichushkin. Honestly, I like 3 or 4 prospects a lot around #7 (Lindholm, Monhahan, Nichushkin, Nurse) and I wouldn't be mad if we walked away with any of those players. Nichushkin would be cool though, I imagine him and Yakupov would make for a pretty dynamic set of wingers.

Old
06-25-2013, 06:21 PM
duul

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
I wouldn't mind Nichushkin. Honestly, I like 3 or 4 prospects a lot around #7 (Lindholm, Monhahan, Nichushkin, Nurse) and I wouldn't be mad if we walked away with any of those players. Nichushkin would be cool though, I imagine him and Yakupov would make for a pretty dynamic set of wingers.
I think you have to take Nichushkin if he's there, especially after what MacT said today. He's the 2nd or 3rd most talented player in the draft, who cares if he might bolt to Russia. Having Yakupov will probably make him stay and then we have another amazing player which will make it even easier to trade someone away for a top defenceman or just keep him.

Old
06-25-2013, 06:42 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by duul View Post
I think you have to take Nichushkin if he's there, especially after what MacT said today. He's the 2nd or 3rd most talented player in the draft, who cares if he might bolt to Russia. Having Yakupov will probably make him stay and then we have another amazing player which will make it even easier to trade someone away for a top defenceman or just keep him.
I like MPS but in this case, I'd probably look to move MPS for some defensive help.

Hall RNH Eberle
Nichushkin Gagner Yakupov

Is fine with me. Nichushkin brings a badly needed huge body presence to our top six, offsetting some of those size issues.

Old
06-25-2013, 06:47 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I like MPS but in this case, I'd probably look to move MPS for some defensive help.

Hall RNH Eberle
Nichushkin Gagner Yakupov

Is fine with me. Nichushkin brings a badly needed huge body presence to our top six, offsetting some of those size issues.
Or Keep Paajarvi try for a Bickell or Stalberg and you have 5 of your 6 wingers above average size. Smurfs up the middle and size on the wings. Minus Ebs.

Old
06-25-2013, 06:50 PM
OilerFan4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
"Arcobello has potential. I liked him last year, I advocated a bottom six role for him last year. It all boils down to your ability to make plays with the puck and Mark's production was excellent, on par with Nuge. He's not Nuge, but it was on par. He'll go to training camp and we'll get a look, and the rest will be up to him"

QUOTES DONE
hmmm, I got ripped to shreds on this board last week for the mere suggestion that Arcobello could be this teams 4th line C.

Old
06-25-2013, 06:58 PM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
FTFY.

It's possible he wont make it to Oilers training camp with all the ruckus about him being traded.
Still he is one player I don't want to see gone he is going to score 20 next year with whoever he is with, not near his upside yet Swedes taking longer to adjust when they do they turn out real good . We are starting to see this with Lander as well.

Old
06-25-2013, 07:13 PM
Mentallydull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankerguy View Post
Respectfully disagree with the top 4 thing. Petry Schultz smid belov is very below avg. They may be top 4 dmen on the oilers..but not so much on other teams :S
Canucks have 4 dmen better than the oilers best dman. I think that an upgrade there would really help the oil.

Laich has a lot of years left but if he returns to form, he makes whatever team he plays for much better. It's a risk no doubt, but isnt eveything?

Bozak says he wants 5 but i could see him getting 4ish

Cal clutterbuck: I find it hard to say "no i dont want this player on my team because he sucks off the ice" He brings exactly what the oilers need.... size and hitting !
What brought on these lockerroom cancer rumors anyways? i missed the story
I was more saying Smid/Schultz interchangeable in the top 4.

I think the Canucks have a better defense right now because most of them are in their prime defensemen while ours are still growing. Petry and Schultz will only get better, Smid still has room to improve (people forget he's only 27), and the jury's out on Belov since I haven't seen him play.

Do I think 3 of those defensemen are/will become top 4? Yes, I think Petry and Schultz will be a lock and if Belov doesn't pan out then Smid has proven he can be a fixture in the top 4. We need a #1 though and badly.

Yeah, I'd be all for Laich - big, physical, good penalty killer, not bad on the dot, puts up decent points. Pretty much exactly what we're looking for in a #2C.

If we could get Bozak for 4 that's something I'd be good with but I can see another team overpaying him for sure.

As for Clutterbuck I haven't heard any of these lockerroom cancer stories myself so I'm not commenting on that, I'm more referring to him taking runs at guys, only defending himself against smaller guys, and avoiding all contact when it comes time to pay the piper.

Basically he's a more skilled version of Hordichuk (in terms of play) and I don't like their game.

Old
06-25-2013, 07:13 PM
shogun99

I'm liking the thought of drafting Nichuskin.

Hall - Gagner - Yakupov
Nich - RNH - Eberle
PRV - Free agent - Clutterbuck (if rumours are true)
Smyth - Lander - Brown

top 3 lines look good, 4th line needs some work.

Old
06-25-2013, 07:17 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
Still he is one player I don't want to see gone he is going to score 20 next year with whoever he is with, not near his upside yet Swedes taking longer to adjust when they do they turn out real good . We are starting to see this with Lander as well.
Maybe 10 goals, I don't see 20 in him unless he plays an extremely aggressive game.

Each year, he's shown he's capable of playing an aggressive fore check but then it only lasts a few games before he gets PB'd or sent down [not sure if that plausible this coming season].

Old
06-25-2013, 07:19 PM
Copperhead

Re: Bryzgalov

Obviously given MacT's comments that it will depend on the pro scouts I wonder are YOU the armchair scout interested in him?

Personally I would only want to invest one or two years on him but if he would somehow agree to that I'd snatch him up to swap duties with Dubnyk.

Old
06-25-2013, 07:20 PM
hockeyaddict101

So Spector saying on Twitter that Horcoff will not be bought out. If true that is good news, that there must be some kind of market.

Albeit Oilers may have to eat some salary cap.

Old
06-25-2013, 07:23 PM
Mentallydull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilrider View Post
Would you trade Horcoff and Belanger for Luongo?

This is just hypothetical, not a rumor, but I'm curious. I guess I'm on the side of not thinking Luongo would be so terrible. His cap hit is good right now, and will likely stay that way for some time. At the end of the contract if he wants to retire, couldn't we just buy out the contract without it having such a major cap hit?
I was actually thinking of this the other day. I don't mind Luongo and I like what he'd bring in the short term but the long term...

The thing is, he's already 34 and he has 9(!!!) years left. If he hits a decline in the next couple years then we're looking at another Horcoff-type contract (5.3 mil cap hit) for a backup goalie while all our young guys will be looking at big paydays.

Old
06-25-2013, 07:23 PM
Mentallydull

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
So Spector saying on Twitter that Horcoff will not be bought out. If true that is good news, that there must be some kind of market.

Albeit Oilers may have to eat some salary cap.
Amnesty's not out of the question though.

Old
06-25-2013, 07:26 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallydull View Post
Amnesty's not out of the question though.
I sure as hell hope not, unless we are dealing him that should be on the table.