HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Flyers use a compliance buyout on Ilya Bryzgalov's contract (updates in post #1)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-25-2013, 04:59 PM
  #326
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,973
vCash: 500
The buyout period begins tomorrow at 11 pm, right? So without having another goalie in place, why did Homer announce this now? If he wants a goalie that's under contract, the price is going to go up because the Flyers aren't in a good position with only Mason signed. If he gets a UFA the $$ and term likely increase for the same reason. Why not sign or make a trade first and then amnesty Bryz?

MsWoof is offline  
Old
06-25-2013, 05:01 PM
  #327
OzFlyer
Registered Boozer
 
OzFlyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 674
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
The buyout period begins tomorrow at 11 pm, right? So without having another goalie in place, why did Homer announce this now? If he wants a goalie that's under contract, the price is going to go up because the Flyers aren't in a good position with only Mason signed. If he gets a UFA the $$ and term likely increase for the same reason. Why not sign or make a trade first and then amnesty Bryz?
I was thinking the same thing. I just hope Homer already has something lined up. Maybe he knows Lou is being bought out?

OzFlyer is offline  
Old
06-25-2013, 05:02 PM
  #328
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 37,564
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
The buyout period begins tomorrow at 11 pm, right? So without having another goalie in place, why did Homer announce this now? If he wants a goalie that's under contract, the price is going to go up because the Flyers aren't in a good position with only Mason signed. If he gets a UFA the $$ and term likely increase for the same reason. Why not sign or make a trade first and then amnesty Bryz?
Homer's poker face has always been terrible.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
06-25-2013, 05:03 PM
  #329
Haute Couturier
Registered User
 
Haute Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 5,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecrush8 View Post
Made my day. I wont miss him even for a second.

All aboard the Mason bandwaggon


By this time next year everyone will be wanting to run him out of town, too.

Haute Couturier is offline  
Old
06-25-2013, 05:06 PM
  #330
RoDu
Shagga likes axes
 
RoDu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,453
vCash: 500
Lets see what Paul "Littlefinger" Holmgren has up his sleeve this summer. Not sure I want to look

RoDu is offline  
Old
06-25-2013, 05:07 PM
  #331
Haute Couturier
Registered User
 
Haute Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 5,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzFlyer View Post
I was thinking the same thing. I just hope Homer already has something lined up. Maybe he knows Lou is being bought out?
I can't see anything but a buyout for Luongo. He is a great goalie, but who is going to want that contract? I especially don't see anyone trading any significant for him.

Haute Couturier is offline  
Old
06-25-2013, 05:09 PM
  #332
Curufinwe
Registered User
 
Curufinwe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 7,477
vCash: 500
Why would the price go up? Any team or goalie Holmgren dealt with would have known Bryz was getting bought out if he made an offer. LA knew that if they traded Bernier here that meant Bryz was gone.

Curufinwe is offline  
Old
06-25-2013, 05:11 PM
  #333
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 8,474
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
The buyout period begins tomorrow at 11 pm, right? So without having another goalie in place, why did Homer announce this now? If he wants a goalie that's under contract, the price is going to go up because the Flyers aren't in a good position with only Mason signed. If he gets a UFA the $$ and term likely increase for the same reason. Why not sign or make a trade first and then amnesty Bryz?
I don't think Paul will be looking for any big names just a back-up in which case announcing the buyout now really doesn't weaken his position much if at all. If he were looking for a trade for a guy like Halak then yeah but I don't think that's the case.

FlyersFan61290 is offline  
Old
06-25-2013, 05:14 PM
  #334
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,973
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Why would the price go up? Any team or goalie Holmgren dealt with would have known Bryz was getting bought out if he made an offer. LA knew that if they traded Bernier here that meant Bryz was gone.
Not really, because the Flyers could have been shopping for a goalie but would have had Bryz to fall back on if the terms weren't right. Now you're going to have teams who know the Flyers are in a worse position because they have to fill that roster spot with a goalie. I also don't think Holmgren or any of the other 29 GMs are sold on Mason as a starter. He has a ton to prove after so many dismal seasons.

MsWoof is offline  
Old
06-25-2013, 05:24 PM
  #335
Curufinwe
Registered User
 
Curufinwe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 7,477
vCash: 500
There are plenty of goalies who could be signed for a year or two at a reasonable price and still play better than Bryz did. So I'm not worried.

Curufinwe is offline  
Old
06-25-2013, 05:25 PM
  #336
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Not really, because the Flyers could have been shopping for a goalie but would have had Bryz to fall back on if the terms weren't right. Now you're going to have teams who know the Flyers are in a worse position because they have to fill that roster spot with a goalie. I also don't think Holmgren or any of the other 29 GMs are sold on Mason as a starter. He has a ton to prove after so many dismal seasons.
Not disagreeing with you entirely, but Mason certainly has a pedigree for excellence. It's very possible that he became unmotivated and depressed over his situation in Columbus. This gives a legitimate young netminder, with an outstanding history of success, to become the forefront of this organization's goaltending.

2006-2007
CHL Goaltender of the Week (Mar. 25)
OHL First All-Star Team
OHL Goaltender of the Year
2007-2008
CHL Goaltender of the Week (Apr. 8)
CHL Goaltender of the Week (Oct. 21)
OHL Champion
OHL Second All-Star Team
U20 WJC All-Star Team
U20 WJC Best GAA (1.19)
U20 WJC Best Goaltender
U20 WJC Best SVS% (.951)
U20 WJC Gold Medal
U20 WJC Most Valuable Player
U20 WJC Top 3 Player on Team
2008-2009
NHL All-Rookie Team
NHL Rookie of the Year "Calder Trophy"
NHL Second All-Star Team
Awards by league
- CHL Goaltender of the Week 07/08, 07/08, 06/07
- NHL All-Rookie Team 08/09
- NHL Rookie of the Year "Calder Trophy" 08/09
- NHL Second All-Star Team 08/09
- OHL Champion 07/08
- OHL First All-Star Team 06/07
- OHL Goaltender of the Year 06/07
- OHL Second All-Star Team 07/08
- U20 WJC All-Star Team 07/08
- U20 WJC Best GAA 07/08
- U20 WJC Best Goaltender 07/08
- U20 WJC Best SVS% 07/08
- U20 WJC Gold Medal 07/08
- U20 WJC Most Valuable Player 07/08
- U20 WJC Top 3 Player on Team 07/08

CS is offline  
Old
06-25-2013, 06:01 PM
  #337
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,190
vCash: 500
thank god there will be no more goalie controversy / blaming around here !!!

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline  
Old
06-25-2013, 06:13 PM
  #338
Flyerfan4life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Richmond BC, Canada
Country: England
Posts: 12,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
thank god there will be no more goalie controversy / blaming around here !!!
yea, cuz clearly someone in that position is beyond blame..

Flyerfan4life is offline  
Old
06-25-2013, 06:20 PM
  #339
funghoul
retardo montalbon
 
funghoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: upper drugs
Country: United States
Posts: 1,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
thank god there will be no more goalie controversy / blaming around here !!!
didn't you hear? mason already sucks. we need a goalie still. I guess holmgren didn't want to spend his last year as G.M sticking to whatever this half ass plan of his is. way to have patience and see things through. If Bryzgalov goes somewhere and wins a cup next year, i will blow my brains out. (it won't be too messy, there's not much in there)

funghoul is offline  
Old
06-25-2013, 06:22 PM
  #340
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 37,564
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
thank god there will be no more goalie controversy / blaming around here !!!
The time for you to just give up and save face passed months ago.

Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
06-25-2013, 06:27 PM
  #341
3Fs
Registered User
 
3Fs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Western Pa.
Country: United States
Posts: 492
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
There are plenty of goalies who could be signed for a year or two at a reasonable price and still play better than Bryz did. So I'm not worried.
exactly!

3Fs is offline  
Old
06-25-2013, 06:29 PM
  #342
funghoul
retardo montalbon
 
funghoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: upper drugs
Country: United States
Posts: 1,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
The time for you to just give up and save face passed months ago.
You can't be happy about the way this team is being managed though. The whole thing is a circus. its not bryzgalov's fault.

funghoul is offline  
Old
06-25-2013, 06:29 PM
  #343
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
didn't you hear? mason already sucks. we need a goalie still. I guess holmgren didn't want to spend his last year as G.M sticking to whatever this half ass plan of his is. way to have patience and see things through. If Bryzgalov goes somewhere and wins a cup next year, i will blow my brains out. (it won't be too messy, there's not much in there)
I know you guys won't give an inch when it comes to Bryz's play so I'm not going to go down that road.

There is a business side of this move that you can't ignore. Why risk another of him possibly getting hurt and not being able to buy him out next summer? It also saved them some money doing it this summer opposed to next summer. The guy wasn't apart of the plans for the future so why not take him out back and put him down now. It has nothing to do with him being a scapegoat or the media forcing this move.

As for your last part I could care less if Bryz wins the KHL championship next year, it has no effect on me.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline  
Old
06-25-2013, 06:30 PM
  #344
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63
 
kudymen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Atlanta (Decatur)
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 3,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Not disagreeing with you entirely, but Mason certainly has a pedigree for excellence. It's very possible that he became unmotivated and depressed over his situation in Columbus. This gives a legitimate young netminder, with an outstanding history of success, to become the forefront of this organization's goaltending.

2006-2007
CHL Goaltender of the Week (Mar. 25)
OHL First All-Star Team
OHL Goaltender of the Year
2007-2008
CHL Goaltender of the Week (Apr. 8)
CHL Goaltender of the Week (Oct. 21)
OHL Champion
OHL Second All-Star Team
U20 WJC All-Star Team
U20 WJC Best GAA (1.19)
U20 WJC Best Goaltender
U20 WJC Best SVS% (.951)
U20 WJC Gold Medal
U20 WJC Most Valuable Player
U20 WJC Top 3 Player on Team
2008-2009
NHL All-Rookie Team
NHL Rookie of the Year "Calder Trophy"
NHL Second All-Star Team
Awards by league
- CHL Goaltender of the Week 07/08, 07/08, 06/07
- NHL All-Rookie Team 08/09
- NHL Rookie of the Year "Calder Trophy" 08/09
- NHL Second All-Star Team 08/09
- OHL Champion 07/08
- OHL First All-Star Team 06/07
- OHL Goaltender of the Year 06/07
- OHL Second All-Star Team 07/08
- U20 WJC All-Star Team 07/08
- U20 WJC Best GAA 07/08
- U20 WJC Best Goaltender 07/08
- U20 WJC Best SVS% 07/08
- U20 WJC Gold Medal 07/08
- U20 WJC Most Valuable Player 07/08
- U20 WJC Top 3 Player on Team 07/08
This list reminds of Jim Carey.

kudymen is offline  
Old
06-25-2013, 06:34 PM
  #345
funghoul
retardo montalbon
 
funghoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: upper drugs
Country: United States
Posts: 1,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I know you guys won't give an inch when it comes to Bryz's play so I'm not going to go down that road.

There is a business side of this move that you can't ignore. Why risk another of him possibly getting hurt and not being able to buy him out next summer? It also saved them some money doing it this summer opposed to next summer. The guy wasn't apart of the plans for the future so why not take him out back and put him down now. It has nothing to do with him being a scapegoat or the media forcing this move.

As for your last part I could care less if Bryz wins the KHL championship next year, it has no effect on me.
I'm just impatient with the impatience. I really don't think were capable of growing a team or even seeing five feet in front of our faces. I know he had to go. I know he didn't live up to that money. not a lot of goalies that would tho. I hope this has the DRAMATIC effect on the team everyone is expecting. I also hope we don't do something stupid like take on another bad contract but we will. I don't care about the KHL championship but i do if its the cup and don't pretend like you don't either.

funghoul is offline  
Old
06-25-2013, 06:35 PM
  #346
potsiev2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Delaware
Country: United States
Posts: 214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
The buyout period begins tomorrow at 11 pm, right? So without having another goalie in place, why did Homer announce this now? If he wants a goalie that's under contract, the price is going to go up because the Flyers aren't in a good position with only Mason signed. If he gets a UFA the $$ and term likely increase for the same reason. Why not sign or make a trade first and then amnesty Bryz?

how would it make any difference whatsoever??? holmgren going to any team or any free agent showing interest in a goalie shows exactly that he wants and needs a goalie... it's a dead giveaway

potsiev2 is offline  
Old
06-25-2013, 06:35 PM
  #347
3Fs
Registered User
 
3Fs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Western Pa.
Country: United States
Posts: 492
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
You can't be happy about the way this team is being managed though. The whole thing is a circus. its not bryzgalov's fault.
Makes mistakes and does some dumb things.

Now with that said, I would rather him be this way then a GM that is too scared to take risk and sit on his hands and does nothing. Plenty of teams as example out there.

They try to put a team together every year that has a chance to win the cup. But there is people out there that will beach about anything that is done. We all just need to sit back and enjoy the ride and remember that the team will do their best possible to put a winning team on the ice.

PS: Most of this is Bryz fault, because he turned into a top notch ****** bag, instead of being a top notch goalie.

3Fs is offline  
Old
06-25-2013, 06:37 PM
  #348
CSKA1974
Registered User
 
CSKA1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Flyerville
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 1,337
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Not disagreeing with you entirely, but Mason certainly has a pedigree for excellence. It's very possible that he became unmotivated and depressed over his situation in Columbus. This gives a legitimate young netminder, with an outstanding history of success, to become the forefront of this organization's goaltending.

2006-2007
CHL Goaltender of the Week (Mar. 25)
OHL First All-Star Team
OHL Goaltender of the Year
2007-2008
CHL Goaltender of the Week (Apr. 8)
CHL Goaltender of the Week (Oct. 21)
OHL Champion
OHL Second All-Star Team
U20 WJC All-Star Team
U20 WJC Best GAA (1.19)
U20 WJC Best Goaltender
U20 WJC Best SVS% (.951)
U20 WJC Gold Medal
U20 WJC Most Valuable Player
U20 WJC Top 3 Player on Team
2008-2009
NHL All-Rookie Team
NHL Rookie of the Year "Calder Trophy"
NHL Second All-Star Team
Awards by league
- CHL Goaltender of the Week 07/08, 07/08, 06/07
- NHL All-Rookie Team 08/09
- NHL Rookie of the Year "Calder Trophy" 08/09
- NHL Second All-Star Team 08/09
- OHL Champion 07/08
- OHL First All-Star Team 06/07
- OHL Goaltender of the Year 06/07
- OHL Second All-Star Team 07/08
- U20 WJC All-Star Team 07/08
- U20 WJC Best GAA 07/08
- U20 WJC Best Goaltender 07/08
- U20 WJC Best SVS% 07/08
- U20 WJC Gold Medal 07/08
- U20 WJC Most Valuable Player 07/08
- U20 WJC Top 3 Player on Team 07/08
Bryz was a world champion and a Vezina nominee before he got here.
So let's not count chickens before they hatched.

CSKA1974 is offline  
Old
06-25-2013, 06:38 PM
  #349
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!
 
Coppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 928
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
The buyout period begins tomorrow at 11 pm, right? So without having another goalie in place, why did Homer announce this now? If he wants a goalie that's under contract, the price is going to go up because the Flyers aren't in a good position with only Mason signed. If he gets a UFA the $$ and term likely increase for the same reason. Why not sign or make a trade first and then amnesty Bryz?
Is this really that big of a deal? Homer only had until 3 days into Free agency to buy Bryz out anyway and waiting till then severely limits what who he can sign at the start of free agency. Anyone who has watched 5 minutes of any Flyers game this season knows they need a goalie. They were just in the hunt for Bernier. Its not like it was it a secret.

Coppy is offline  
Old
06-25-2013, 06:40 PM
  #350
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 37,564
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
I'm just impatient with the impatience. I really don't think were capable of growing a team or even seeing five feet in front of our faces. I know he had to go. I know he didn't live up to that money. not a lot of goalies that would tho. I hope this has the DRAMATIC effect on the team everyone is expecting. I also hope we don't do something stupid like take on another bad contract but we will. I don't care about the KHL championship but i do if its the cup and don't pretend like you don't either.
Well honestly, signing Bryz WAS impatience. They didn't want to wait and see what Bob turned into and flipped out when he didn't pull a Rookie Hextall as a rookie.

Beef Invictus is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:19 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.