HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The Flyers use a compliance buyout on Ilya Bryzgalov's contract (updates in post #1)

Closed Thread

Old
06-25-2013, 06:41 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Fs View Post
Makes mistakes and does some dumb things.

Now with that said, I would rather him be this way then a GM that is too scared to take risk and sit on his hands and does nothing. Plenty of teams as example out there.

They try to put a team together every year that has a chance to win the cup. But there is people out there that will beach about anything that is done. We all just need to sit back and enjoy the ride and remember that the team will do their best possible to put a winning team on the ice.

PS: Most of this is Bryz fault, because he turned into a top notch ****** bag, instead of being a top notch goalie.
I have respect for the image of a "go getter" too but you can do too much. This team is just in a constant state of major change and bad contracts. you need some luck but most of it is just good decision making. I have lost some faith in our "plan" or lack of one.

Old
06-25-2013, 06:45 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
I'm just impatient with the impatience. I really don't think were capable of growing a team or even seeing five feet in front of our faces. I know he had to go. I know he didn't live up to that money. not a lot of goalies that would tho. I hope this has the DRAMATIC effect on the team everyone is expecting. I also hope we don't do something stupid like take on another bad contract but we will. I don't care about the KHL championship but i do if its the cup and don't pretend like you don't either.
I can't argue with the patience part, although I question how much of it is Snider or Homer.

I never really heard Homer tip his hand like he did today. He usually does the opposite of what he says so hopefully he doesn't go big this summer.

Old
06-25-2013, 06:46 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
I have respect for the image of a "go getter" too but you can do too much. This team is just in a constant state of major change and bad contracts. you need some luck but most of it is just good decision making. I have lost some faith in our "plan" or lack of one.
Assuming the Flyers draft in at 11 and don't trade any of the young guys I see a legit plan in place. I think most Flyers fans do.

Old
06-25-2013, 06:46 PM
Claude Reigns
What offseason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudymen View Post
This list reminds of Jim Carey.
A goalie who reminded me of Jim Carrey followed by one that reminds you of Jim Carey. This should be good.

Old
06-25-2013, 06:47 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
Bryz was a world champion and a Vezina nominee before he got here.
So let's not count chickens before they hatched.
Nor should we right them off as "another Jim Carey". Not saying that you do, but Mason can be viewed as a young goalie with potential... and that's about it.

All for pragmatism and some reasonable competition for Mason next season.

Old
06-25-2013, 06:48 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan61290 View Post
assuming the flyers draft in at 11 and don't trade any of the young guys i see a legit plan in place. I think most flyers fans do.
hahahahahah! thats good

Old
06-25-2013, 06:52 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
hahahahahah! thats good
Seriously? They have a really young core and they have some guys in the pipe like stolarz, ghost, cousins, laughton and our 11th coming up. What's so funny about that?

Last edited by FlyersFan61290: 06-25-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old
06-25-2013, 06:58 PM
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Nor should we right them off as "another Jim Carey". Not saying that you do, but Mason can be viewed as a young goalie with potential... and that's about it.

All for pragmatism and some reasonable competition for Mason next season.
I didn't mean to say any such thing on the previous page, honestly I loved Mason in 08/09 when I saw him for the first time. I just don't know what to expect from goalies in Philly anymore (well, except Leighton)

Old
06-25-2013, 07:06 PM
phlocky

He'd better use that cap space to resign Giroux, Schenn and Couturier on July 1st before he goes and spends it on stupid UFA's this offseason and he has no room to get them under contract after next year.

Old
06-25-2013, 07:15 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
He'd better use that cap space to resign Giroux, Schenn and Couturier on July 1st before he goes and spends it on stupid UFA's this offseason and he has no room to get them under contract after next year.
Giroux will likely get double his salary to about 7.5m/year.

So that's 3.75.

Schenn might actually drop from his 3.11 to 3.00 or so.

Couturier's cap might go up by about a million at most putting him around 2.50.

So that's a total increase of about 5.00 against our cap.

Right now we have 13.00m to spend (Meszaros is off the books next year even if he stays this year) along with a potentially rising cap. Add another 6.00m if Timonen does retire, and we feasibly have 19.00+ to spend on 3 re-signings and other acquisitions.

Assuming the 3 raises take out 5.00 of that, then we have 14.00+ to spend AFTER all three are locked up.

That gives us our lineup of...

Hartnell - Giroux - Voracek
Simmonds - Schenn - xxxxx
xxxxx - Couturier - xxxxx
Rinaldo - Laughton - Talbot

xxxxx - Schenn
Streit - Coburn
Gustafsson - Grossmann

Mason
xxxxx

With 14m+ to spend AFTER Giroux, Schenn, and Couturier have their next contract locked in place.

Old
06-25-2013, 07:20 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Slightly surprised that they used it this year; too much of a personality and too risky (in case he gets injured before the next buyout period) to keep around.

He had his good moments in Philly, but they were too infrequent and too far apart to justify not buying him out in one of the two periods.

What a joke, though. Be prepared for an increase in your fees, Comcast subscribers.

06-25-2013, 07:26 PM
litflyersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post

So that's 3.75.

Right now we have 13.00m to spend (Meszaros is off the books next year even if he stays this year) along with a potentially rising cap. Add another 6.00m if Timonen does retire, and we feasibly have 19.00+ to spend on 3 re-signings and other acquisitions.

Assuming the 3 raises take out 5.00 of that, then we have 14.00+ to spend AFTER all three are locked up.

xxxxx - Schenn
Streit - Coburn
Gustafsson - Grossmann

Mason
xxxxx

With 14m+ to spend AFTER Giroux, Schenn, and Couturier have their next contract locked in place.
How does the bonus cushion work again? Isn't B.Schenn's cap hit actually less than 3.11 mil? So wouldn't a move to 3.00 mil actually be more than he's counting for now. Totally forget how that works.

Old
06-25-2013, 07:29 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I really don't get why people are happy about this. Once again, the Flyers goaltender carousel is in full circle, yet again. Right now, the starting goaltender is Steve Mason - he who appeared in 20 games this past year. I don't get how anyone can be comfortable or take joy in the fact that yet another goaltender (and a goaltender who came with great credentials) failed miserably here. Everyone should be wanting to lynch the Flyers for this embarrassing carousel of goaltender after goaltender after goaltender.

Old
06-25-2013, 07:29 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:

So that's 3.75.

xxxxx - Schenn
Streit - Coburn
Gustafsson - Grossmann

Mason
xxxxx

There's always the possibility of them trading both Mez AND Coburn this summer. Mez I think is a close to sure thing and Coburn is a toss up at this point.

Old
06-25-2013, 07:30 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I really don't get why people are happy about this. Once again, the Flyers goaltender carousel is in full circle, yet again. Right now, the starting goaltender is Steve Mason - he who appeared in 20 games this past year. I don't get how anyone can be comfortable or take joy in the fact that yet another goaltender (and a goaltender who came with great credentials) failed miserably here. Everyone should be wanting to lynch the Flyers for this embarrassing carousel of goaltender after goaltender after goaltender.
We had a choice between a carousel and a train wreck.

06-25-2013, 07:31 PM
BringBackStevens

Unquestionably the right move, but what an embarrassing fiasco.

Talk about perpetuating the jokes about this organization and goalies. Just a complete and total botch job.

You really should not be filling holes like #1 goalie, #1 forward, #1 defensemen through free agency in the cap system unless its a slam dunk

Old
06-25-2013, 07:32 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by litflyersfan View Post
How does the bonus cushion work again? Isn't B.Schenn's cap hit actually less than 3.11 mil? So wouldn't a move to 3.00 mil actually be more than he's counting for now. Totally forget how that works.
Alright, so the bonus cushion works by taking the max amount of potential cap hit should the player achieve the bonuses.

So Schenn's cap hit is actually 0.90m, but if he reaches all of his bonuses, it is 3.11.

When I make my tallies, I usually disregard the cushion and just put all my ELCs at their actual cap value; aka 0.90m for Schenn.

However, our 4.18m in space currently (that everyone is talking about) is not considering the bonus cushion. Really, we have more space than that.

However, when some players reach their bonuses, it gets tacked on the next season if not used on the season when they actually reached their bonuses. The Flyers would be over had they tagged the bonuses Couturier and Schenn got last year on last year's limit, so they moved them to this year at a cap hit of like 0.18 or something. That was already factored into that 4.18 number.

Once Schenn and Couturier get their next contract (bridge contract), their ELCs will be over and that cap hit will be a hard cap hit.

Old
06-25-2013, 07:33 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
That's all true, but Bryzgalov was an abject failure and having him around let alone his contract had disaster written all over it

Old
06-25-2013, 07:33 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
There's always the possibility of them trading both Mez AND Coburn this summer. Mez I think is a close to sure thing and Coburn is a toss up at this point.
That lineup I compiled there is the start of the following season (after next offseason so, 2014-15).

Meszaros will be off the books regardless of whether or not he's traded by then. Coburn should still be here if he's not traded.

Old
06-25-2013, 07:34 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
Unquestionably the right move, but what an embarrassing fiasco.

Talk about perpetuating the jokes about this organization and goalies. Just a complete and total botch job.

You really should not be filling holes like #1 goalie, #1 forward, #1 defensemen through free agency in the cap system unless its a slam dunk
Sadly, Bryz was supposed to be a slam dunk.

Old
06-25-2013, 07:35 PM
litflyersfan

Quote:
Alright, so the bonus cushion works by taking the max amount of potential cap hit should the player achieve the bonuses.

So Schenn's cap hit is actually 0.90m, but if he reaches all of his bonuses, it is 3.11.

When I make my tallies, I usually disregard the cushion and just put all my ELCs at their actual cap value; aka 0.90m for Schenn.

However, our 4.18m in space currently (that everyone is talking about) is not considering the bonus cushion. Really, we have more space than that.

However, when some players reach their bonuses, it gets tacked on the next season if not used on the season when they actually reached their bonuses. The Flyers would be over had they tagged the bonuses Couturier and Schenn got last year on last year's limit, so they moved them to this year at a cap hit of like 0.18 or something. That was already factored into that 4.18 number.

Once Schenn and Couturier get their next contract (bridge contract), their ELCs will be over and that cap hit will be a hard cap hit.
That's what a thought, so Homer does need to keep some of this new found space for Schenn and Couturier.

Old
06-25-2013, 07:37 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by litflyersfan View Post
That's what a thought, so Homer does need to keep some of this new found space for Schenn and Couturier.
He needs to keep around 5.00m.

Assuming Giroux's cap hit doubles, Schenn's hard cap will likely be around his ELC bonus-included cap, and Couturier's cap shouldn't rise more than his ELC bonus-included cap, 5.00m is our rough number.

Timonen coming off the books gives us 6.00m. So really, no. Holmgren can spend to the cap this year on multi-year contracts as long as he doesn't plan on re-signing Read or Timonen.

Old
06-25-2013, 07:38 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Sadly, Bryz was supposed to be a slam dunk.
I don't think so. At the time, I thought he would definitely be an upgrade over what we had for years. BUT I think it was pretty clear that he wasn't an elite goalie.

He did worse than I expected, but I still knew this was a bad idea from the start.

Old
06-25-2013, 07:43 PM
Unstable

Quote:

So that's 3.75.

xxxxx - Schenn
Streit - Coburn
Gustafsson - Grossmann

Mason
xxxxx

You must have made a mistake somewhere. Isn't it in the CBA that the Flyers can never have any cap space?

Old
06-25-2013, 07:46 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
I agree with you for the most part..there should be more outrage at management for continuing to botch the goaltending position for decades now. Giving up Bob who wins the Vezina the next year adds massive salt to the wound. Having said this....Bryzbuyout really didn't hold his end of the deal and he was supposed to be an upgrade regardless. Sadly, he really underachieved...

Closed Thread