HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XXXIX

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-25-2013, 06:28 PM
  #76
Frenchy
Mod Supervisor
 
Frenchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Alma , QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,752
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundwaveIsCharisma View Post
The bad news here is that, without buyouts, what we have now is likely what we will roll into the season with. If the Avs do draft MacKinnon the lines up front are basically full and the Avalanche already have too many one-way contract defensemen. So unless they are working diligently to send the SOB's, Zanon's of the world packing, or are willing to bury them in the AHL we may be done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColAvsFan View Post
It wouldn't be a bad idea to see how things shake out under Roy before making any major changes. I still would guess they add a defenseman though.
Take it with grain of salt ,they sait on TV tonight that there was a rumour that the Avs were trying to work a deal with the Panthers and the asking price for the first overall was Erik Gudbranson.

Frenchy is offline  
Old
06-25-2013, 06:29 PM
  #77
CobraAcesS
Registered User
 
CobraAcesS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 13,498
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
It just blows my mind that we have this perfect guy for the job in O'Reilly and last season we didn't use him defensively and this season we're using him at wing initially.

O'Reilly excelled starting in the defensive zone more often than not in his third season. Put him with Landeskog for a regular shift and put MacK on Stastny's wing OR let Staz take the draws and MacK play center.

It's the perfect solution to have three strong lines.
I agree with this, and Roy may still end up there very quickly IMO.

I still think this is what shakes out after training camp,

_______ - Duchene - Parenteau

Stastny - Mack - _________

Landeskog - O'Reilly - ________

CobraAcesS is offline  
Old
06-25-2013, 06:29 PM
  #78
SoundwaveIsCharisma
Moderator
 
SoundwaveIsCharisma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Screw You Blaster
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,508
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
Take it with grain of salt ,they sait on TV tonight that there was a rumour that the Avs were trying to work a deal with the Panthers and the asking price for the first overall was Erik Gudbranson.
I believe that's something that Dater was throwing around. That's the only way I would like to see us skip out on MacKinnon, ridiculously hilarious overpayment.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline  
Old
06-25-2013, 06:31 PM
  #79
Avs For Life
#92 #9 #29
 
Avs For Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Denver, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 3,710
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
Take it with grain of salt ,they sait on TV tonight that there was a rumour that the Avs were trying to work a deal with the Panthers and the asking price for the first overall was Erik Gudbranson.
I really doubt the panthers would do that deal. It would be nice in theory but thats a lot for them to give up. I think they are fine with Jones or Barkov. Yes they want Mack but not for the price of a player like Gudbranson.

Avs For Life is offline  
Old
06-25-2013, 06:35 PM
  #80
Avs For Life
#92 #9 #29
 
Avs For Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Denver, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 3,710
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
I agree with this, and Roy may still end up there very quickly IMO.

I still think this is what shakes out after training camp,

_______ - Duchene - Parenteau

Stastny - Mack - _________

Landeskog - O'Reilly - ________
I like those lines, I would fill in as follows.

McGinn - Duchene - PAP
Stastny - Mack - Downie
Landeskog - ROR - Jones

You have grit and skill on all three lines. Each line has someone who will stick up for the others, each line has playmaking ability and the ability to finish.

I actually think this really is what our lines should be. Staz setting up Mack would be fun. We could call it the DownStazMack Attack

Avs For Life is offline  
Old
06-25-2013, 06:43 PM
  #81
Cypher
Vote Tom Kirkman!
 
Cypher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,813
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs For Life View Post
interesting possibilities all around. Still not sure about ROR on the wing. I would personally prefer

Mack - Duchene - PAP
Landy - ROR - Downie
McGinn - Staz - Jones
This is what I want/think the Avs should do.

Keep lines 2-3 the same, and add Mackinnon to Duchene's line, allows him to have less defensive responsability/no face-offs ... plus I heard somewhere Mackinnon has trained/skated with Duchene in the past.

Cypher is offline  
Old
06-25-2013, 06:45 PM
  #82
Avs For Life
#92 #9 #29
 
Avs For Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Denver, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 3,710
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
This is what I want/think the Avs should do.

Keep lines 2-3 the same, and add Mackinnon to Duchene's line, allows him to have less defensive responsability/no face-offs ... plus I heard somewhere Mackinnon has trained/skated with Duchene in the past.
They worked out together like a week ago. I believe they also have the same agent which is interestingly enough the same agent as Crosby and Hishon. So basically summer time for Crosby is going to be "Help the good Avs get better" time.

Avs For Life is offline  
Old
06-25-2013, 06:50 PM
  #83
CobraAcesS
Registered User
 
CobraAcesS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 13,498
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs For Life View Post
I like those lines, I would fill in as follows.

McGinn - Duchene - PAP
Stastny - Mack - Downie
Landeskog - ROR - Jones

You have grit and skill on all three lines. Each line has someone who will stick up for the others, each line has playmaking ability and the ability to finish.

I actually think this really is what our lines should be. Staz setting up Mack would be fun. We could call it the DownStazMack Attack
Yeah, I'm sure Roy will try some different stuff. The last thing I want to see is Mack get the leftovers when it comes to wingers.

IMO, Stastny at wing would be a lot like Eriksson, and he'd be the closest thing to giving Mackinnon a play-maker like Drouin that we could accomplish.

I'd like them to just extend Stastny now, even if they need to give him a limited no movement clause. Like say a 10 team list or something. As long as he couldn't completely handcuff us in trade talks.

Regardless, for some reason I have a feeling Stastny may not have as much of a problem being used at wing as O'Reilly will. Even if O'Reilly does not say so...

I think as long as Stastny has a good contract and is shown that the team wants him to be here long term. He'll do what's needed for the team.

O'Reilly has the contract situation and has already had to accept the idea of going to another team at one point.

CobraAcesS is offline  
Old
06-25-2013, 06:52 PM
  #84
RockLobster
Moderator
Damnit, Jian Yang!
 
RockLobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kansas
Country: Germany
Posts: 23,149
vCash: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
Take it with grain of salt ,they sait on TV tonight that there was a rumour that the Avs were trying to work a deal with the Panthers and the asking price for the first overall was Erik Gudbranson.
Just to clarify....the asking price to SWAP PICKS with the Avs was/is Erik Gudbranson, is that what they said?

__________________

There's only one thing I hate more than lying: skim milk, which is water that is lying about being milk.
RockLobster is offline  
Old
06-25-2013, 06:52 PM
  #85
CobraAcesS
Registered User
 
CobraAcesS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 13,498
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
This is what I want/think the Avs should do.

Keep lines 2-3 the same, and add Mackinnon to Duchene's line, allows him to have less defensive responsability/no face-offs ... plus I heard somewhere Mackinnon has trained/skated with Duchene in the past.
I'm not on board with Mack at LW in the least... The kid would be the future of the team down the middle with Duchene. He needs to learn at center like Roy has said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Just to clarify....the asking price to SWAP PICKS with the Avs was/is Erik Gudbranson, is that what they said?
That's what Dater said but he didn't directly quote it, it was a "What I'm hearing" type of comment. I will say this... Roy & Sakic have been much more open to giving Dater info than they have in the past. So I'll say, there is at least some chance what he 'hears' has more merit than it has in the past.

Say what you want about Dater, but he is pretty much the main guy when it comes to reporting on the Avalanche, and has been for a long time. If they want info out, hes probably the best avenue. Dater is trusted enough for the Hockey news, ESPN, and TSN to quote in their own stories regarding Colorado.

CobraAcesS is offline  
Old
06-25-2013, 06:56 PM
  #86
Avs For Life
#92 #9 #29
 
Avs For Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Denver, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 3,710
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
Yeah, I'm sure Roy will try some different stuff. The last thing I want to see is Mack get the leftovers when it comes to wingers.

IMO, Stastny at wing would be a lot like Eriksson, and he'd be the closest thing to giving Mackinnon a play-maker like Drouin that we could accomplish.

I'd like them to just extend Stastny now, even if they need to give him a limited no movement clause. Like say a 10 team list or something. As long as he couldn't completely handcuff us in trade talks.

Regardless, for some reason I have a feeling Stastny may not have as much of a problem being used at wing as O'Reilly will. Even if O'Reilly does not say so...

I think as long as Stastny has a good contract and is shown that the team wants him to be here long term. He'll do what's needed for the team.

O'Reilly has the contract situation and has already had to accept the idea of going to another team at one point.
Not TOTALLY true...PAP would be the closest thing IMO but we should not take him away from Duchene

Avs For Life is offline  
Old
06-25-2013, 06:57 PM
  #87
Cypher
Vote Tom Kirkman!
 
Cypher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,813
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
I'm not on board with Mack at LW in the least... The kid would be the future of the team down the middle with Duchene. He needs to learn at center like Roy has said.



That's what Dater said but he didn't directly quote it, it was a "What I'm hearing" type of comment.
He also needs to learn how to play at a high quality for 15+ mins a game. He's not going to get that playing on the 3rd/1C line. Stastny played his first season at LW, Mack can, and should too. Plus it keeps the other 2 lines in-tact and Mack would compliment Duchene and PAP better than anyone else on the team.

Cypher is offline  
Old
06-25-2013, 06:57 PM
  #88
CobraAcesS
Registered User
 
CobraAcesS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 13,498
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs For Life View Post
Not TOTALLY true...PAP would be the closest thing IMO but we should not take him away from Duchene
I pretty much don't even compute when it comes to the idea of splitting those two up. So outside of that is what I mean...

Edit : The one thing in Stastny favor if you do want to argue this point though. Stastny is left handed and Mackinnon is right handed, so setting up plays would feel a lot more familiar with a play-maker on the left side vs the right. So there is that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
He also needs to learn how to play at a high quality for 15+ mins a game. He's not going to get that playing on the 3rd/1C line. Stastny played his first season at LW, Mack can, and should too. Plus it keeps the other 2 lines in-tact and Mack would compliment Duchene and PAP better than anyone else on the team.
Disagree... Stastny, Duchene, and O'Reilly all averaged 17-20 minutes when they were all in the lineup. Mack can easily get 15+ behind the other two.

I don't think Mack should compliment a line, he should be a primary player on his line as well. And I actually think McGinn 'compliments' those two more than Mack would anyways. Mackinnon needs to be learning to control plays at high speed, and that means he needs to have the puck on his stick more often than not. Which wouldn't happen on that line IMO.

Edit: Do you want Mackinnon to turn into Stamkos? Or do you want him to turn into Kessel or Perry, or what Yalupov is projected as?


Last edited by CobraAcesS: 06-25-2013 at 07:05 PM.
CobraAcesS is offline  
Old
06-25-2013, 07:01 PM
  #89
Avs For Life
#92 #9 #29
 
Avs For Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Denver, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 3,710
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
I pretty much don't even compute when it comes to the idea of splitting those two up. So outside of that is what I mean...

Edit : The one thing in Stastny favor if you do want to argue this point though. Stastny is left handed and Mackinnon is right handed, so setting up plays would feel a lot more familiar with a play-maker on the left side vs the right. So there is that...
I know, and I feel the same. I just wanted to be a smart ass lol

Avs For Life is offline  
Old
06-25-2013, 07:54 PM
  #90
Frenchy
Mod Supervisor
 
Frenchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Alma , QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,752
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Just to clarify....the asking price to SWAP PICKS with the Avs was/is Erik Gudbranson, is that what they said?
yes .

Frenchy is offline  
Old
06-25-2013, 08:04 PM
  #91
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1
 
Pierce Hawthorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Caverns of Draconis
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,601
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Just to clarify....the asking price to SWAP PICKS with the Avs was/is Erik Gudbranson, is that what they said?
Yup, and that's only for the Avs to move down to #2.

Can you imagine what the price would be for TBL, or NSH?

I would say it was/is Josi from Nashville, and maybe even Hedman(+ #3 obviously) for #1+.

I'd say its a very safe bet at this point that Mack is an Av. Like 99.5% chance.



Anyway as for the Defense. I could see the Avs looking for a cheap player via trade that a team needs to sell off to get below the cap.

Klesla from PHX could be cheap though not for the Cap reasoning. Maybe Gilbert out of Minny, or Meszaros/Coburn from Philly.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Wilson+ in a deal for some sort of a Top 4 LHD. I do think any deal we make where a legitimate Top 4 guy comes back will likely involve us shipping Hunwick or Wilson out. Those 2 still hold some half decent trade value. I doubt SOB or Zanon have any type of trade value right now.

Pierce Hawthorne is offline  
Old
06-25-2013, 08:10 PM
  #92
Avs For Life
#92 #9 #29
 
Avs For Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Denver, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 3,710
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce Hawthorne View Post
Yup, and that's only for the Avs to move down to #2.

Can you imagine what the price would be for TBL, or NSH?


I would say it was/is Josi from Nashville, and maybe even Hedman(+ #3 obviously) for #1+.

I'd say its a very safe bet at this point that Mack is an Av. Like 99.5% chance.



Anyway as for the Defense. I could see the Avs looking for a cheap player via trade that a team needs to sell off to get below the cap.

Klesla from PHX could be cheap though not for the Cap reasoning. Maybe Gilbert out of Minny, or Meszaros/Coburn from Philly.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Wilson+ in a deal for some sort of a Top 4 LHD. I do think any deal we make where a legitimate Top 4 guy comes back will likely involve us shipping Hunwick or Wilson out. Those 2 still hold some half decent trade value. I doubt SOB or Zanon have any type of trade value right now.
I think this speaks volumes for what the Avs think of Mackinnon

Avs For Life is offline  
Old
06-25-2013, 08:31 PM
  #93
Burnaby_Joe*
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 10,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs For Life View Post
I think this speaks volumes for what the Avs think of Mackinnon
Agreed

Burnaby_Joe* is offline  
Old
06-25-2013, 09:25 PM
  #94
Zandar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 393
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundwaveIsCharisma View Post
The bad news here is that, without buyouts, what we have now is likely what we will roll into the season with. If the Avs do draft MacKinnon the lines up front are basically full and the Avalanche already have too many one-way contract defensemen. So unless they are working diligently to send the SOB's, Zanon's of the world packing, or are willing to bury them in the AHL we may be done.
Maybe just wait until the UFA period cools and everyone finds out there really is a lack of D options there so they go the trade route. That will be when SOB, Hunwick and Zan can be moved.

Zandar is offline  
Old
06-25-2013, 09:44 PM
  #95
Burnaby_Joe*
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 10,233
vCash: 500
What do you guys think of Bickell? I wonder how much he'll get?

Burnaby_Joe* is offline  
Old
06-25-2013, 09:48 PM
  #96
Avs For Life
#92 #9 #29
 
Avs For Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Denver, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 3,710
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Duchene View Post
What do you guys think of Bickell? I wonder how much he'll get?
He will be overpayed. Too bad too because I like him.

Avs For Life is offline  
Old
06-25-2013, 09:57 PM
  #97
ABasin
The good old days...
 
ABasin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 8,993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs For Life View Post
He will be overpayed. Too bad too because I like him.
Exactly correct, IMO. He won't be worth what he gets, in all likelihood.

ABasin is offline  
Old
06-25-2013, 09:58 PM
  #98
hockeyfish
Registered User
 
hockeyfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: DENVER!!!!!!!
Country: United States
Posts: 11,066
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs For Life View Post
He will be overpayed. Too bad too because I like him.
Unfortunately, we can probably say that about every UFA.

hockeyfish is offline  
Old
06-25-2013, 10:00 PM
  #99
Mystic MacK
Foppa2118
 
Mystic MacK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 28,349
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs For Life View Post
He will be overpayed. Too bad too because I like him.
I think that's probably likely but you never know how the cap going down will affect team's UFA spending.

The first summer after the last lockout when the cap was low was not a good one for UFA's if I remember correctly.

Mystic MacK is offline  
Old
06-25-2013, 10:09 PM
  #100
PAZ
.
 
PAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,878
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
I think that's probably likely but you never know how the cap going down will affect team's UFA spending.

The first summer after the last lockout when the cap was low was not a good one for UFA's if I remember correctly.
Yes, but there wasn't amnesty buyouts from the last lockout. The cap going down doesn't change what the top tier FA's make this year, it will only effect the 2nd tier FAs.

PAZ is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:50 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.