HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL: Congrats Hawks on winning the STANLEY CUP

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-25-2013, 07:35 PM
  #926
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
The irony of the Hawks win is it came during a game where they were massively outplayed and blocked a ton of shots.
Not really. They usually always had the better fenwick ratings in individual games. They outplayed each opponents in each series. Maybe the exception is Detroit in the first few games where they were using their puck possession game to dictate flow of the game.

Kershaw is offline  
Old
06-25-2013, 07:36 PM
  #927
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope
 
EvilCorporateLawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 75,138
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Not really. They usually always had the better fenwick ratings in individual games. They outplayed each opponents in each series. Maybe the exception is Detroit in the first few games where they were using their puck possession game to dictate flow of the game.
What does that have to do with the last game?

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
"Used to be only Twinkies and cockroaches could survive a nuke. I'd add Habs to that. I'm convinced the CH stands for Club du Hypocrisy." - Gee Wally
EvilCorporateLawyer is offline  
Old
06-25-2013, 07:39 PM
  #928
Thirty One
portnor, pls
 
Thirty One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,682
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
What does that have to do with the last game?
Chicago still out-Fenwicked them.

Can you believe that the dictionary has yet to recognize out-Fenwick as a word?

__________________


Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Thirty One is offline  
Old
06-25-2013, 07:39 PM
  #929
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
What does that have to do with the last game?
They were outplayed in the 1rst period, but held the Bruins to only 25 shots against. An easy night for Crawford. The game was taken over by the Hawks as it wore on IMO.

Fenwick rating shots directed at Rask vs. Crawford

http://timeonice.com/shots1213.php?gamenumber=30416

Kershaw is offline  
Old
06-25-2013, 07:40 PM
  #930
JeffMangum
~anger~
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 57,963
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
They are a good team that used board-play to create puck possession game and had a ton of players had cold years shooting wise (Gaborik in particular). A lot of that can equate to their top pairing and top line, which played marvelously for them (Hags-Stepan-Nash, Zuccarello, McDonagh-Girardi). I don't think they're far off, but I think they would be much closer with Anisimov and Dubinsky. I am not sure how Brassard will work as a full time 2C with his lackluster possession numbers in Columbus, but we'll see how it goes.

They are what they are, a 2nd round foddle team to a better team like Boston.
I agree that the team needs more depth up front; I'm hoping that Fast, Lindberg, Miller, Thomas, MSC, etc can provide that depth sooner rather than later. The Rangers may lack a true high-end prospect, but they have a lot of players who will almost certainly be effective NHLers, whether they're top-6 players or not.

Regarding Brassard, I'm of the belief that puck possession is more team-based than player based; if Brassard was on Chicago those years instead of on a bottom-feeder like Columbus, those numbers are likely looking a lot, lot better. Hell, put him on NY the past few years and I bet his possession numbers look better.

__________________
Soon.
JeffMangum is offline  
Old
06-25-2013, 07:42 PM
  #931
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope
 
EvilCorporateLawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 75,138
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
They were outplayed in the 1rst period, but held the Bruins to only 25 shots against. An easy night for Crawford. The game was taken over by the Hawks as it wore on IMO.

Fenwick rating shots directed at Rask vs. Crawford

http://timeonice.com/shots1213.php?gamenumber=30416
You're missing the point. You discounted shot blocks earlier in the thread. I said I feel it's ironic that they won that game in large part due to shot blocks. Chicago had 20 or so blocks before the 3rd period, IIRC. NBC showed the stats.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline  
Old
06-25-2013, 07:42 PM
  #932
Thirty One
portnor, pls
 
Thirty One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,682
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB v2 0 View Post
Regarding Brassard, I'm of the belief that puck possession is more team-based than player based; if Brassard was on Chicago those years instead of on a bottom-feeder like Columbus, those numbers are likely looking a lot, lot better. Hell, put him on NY the past few years and I bet his possession numbers look better.
I would agree with this. I think one year Detroit had like 8 of the top 9 CorsiRel players in the league.

Thirty One is offline  
Old
06-25-2013, 07:43 PM
  #933
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope
 
EvilCorporateLawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 75,138
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Chicago still out-Fenwicked them.

Can you believe that the dictionary has yet to recognize out-Fenwick as a word?
So I take it that Fenwick likes shot blocks more than Kershaw.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline  
Old
06-25-2013, 07:48 PM
  #934
Thirty One
portnor, pls
 
Thirty One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,682
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
So I take it that Fenwick likes shot blocks more than Kershaw.
A good shot-blocking team will have that reflected in their Fenwick.

Thirty One is offline  
Old
06-25-2013, 07:49 PM
  #935
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB v2 0 View Post
I agree that the team needs more depth up front; I'm hoping that Fast, Lindberg, Miller, Thomas, MSC, etc can provide that depth sooner rather than later. The Rangers may lack a true high-end prospect, but they have a lot of players who will almost certainly be effective NHLers, whether they're top-6 players or not.

Regarding Brassard, I'm of the belief that puck possession is more team-based than player based; if Brassard was on Chicago those years instead of on a bottom-feeder like Columbus, those numbers are likely looking a lot, lot better. Hell, put him on NY the past few years and I bet his possession numbers look better.
Agreed, but what's concerning about Brassard was that his numbers were even mediocre amongst the likes of Umberger, Huselius, Vermette and Upshall on the same roster. There is hope however, Stralman and Nash did improve under the Rangers in possession numbers.

Kershaw is offline  
Old
06-25-2013, 07:49 PM
  #936
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope
 
EvilCorporateLawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 75,138
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
A good shot-blocking team will have that reflected in their Fenwick.
There we go. Which is really funny that the CBS story that Kershaw posted and gave his thumbs up to expressly discounted shot blocking.

Hence why I thought the win last night was a bit ironic re: advanced stat folk.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline  
Old
06-25-2013, 07:50 PM
  #937
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
You're missing the point. You discounted shot blocks earlier in the thread. I said I feel it's ironic that they won that game in large part due to shot blocks. Chicago had 20 or so blocks before the 3rd period, IIRC. NBC showed the stats.
They still directed more shots the other way then Boston, despite the blocked shots. Which is what fenwick accounts for. The probability is much higher of winning if you have a + differential.

Kershaw is offline  
Old
06-25-2013, 07:50 PM
  #938
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 18,359
vCash: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
There we go. Which is really funny that the CBS story that Kershaw posted and gave his thumbs up to expressly discounted shot blocking.

Hence why I thought the win last night was a bit ironic re: advanced stat folk.
Can I have some of your fenbro advanced syrup?

Silence Of The Plams is online now  
Old
06-25-2013, 07:54 PM
  #939
Thirty One
portnor, pls
 
Thirty One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,682
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
There we go. Which is really funny that the CBS story that Kershaw posted and gave his thumbs up to expressly discounted shot blocking.

Hence why I thought the win last night was a bit ironic re: advanced stat folk.
From the article:

Quote:
The reason the Blackhawks were so low in these two categories wasn't that they lacked grit or toughness or compete level or any other hockey-related buzzword that you can throw out there. It was because of the simple fact that they had more skill than nearly every other team and had the puck way more than their opponents. You can't block shots or hit people when you're the one always playing with the puck.

Thirty One is offline  
Old
06-25-2013, 07:54 PM
  #940
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
There we go. Which is really funny that the CBS story that Kershaw posted and gave his thumbs up to expressly discounted shot blocking.

Hence why I thought the win last night was a bit ironic re: advanced stat folk.
fenwick doesn't take into account of blocked shots. not sure what it has to do with Blocked shots.

Kershaw is offline  
Old
06-25-2013, 08:00 PM
  #941
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope
 
EvilCorporateLawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 75,138
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
fenwick doesn't take into account of blocked shots. not sure what it has to do with Blocked shots.
You are completely missing the point. I'm merely kidding around with you. I'm saying I think it's ironic that the Hawks won primarily due to blocked shots last night when they were outplayed for most of the game as well. You posted an article that discounted shot blocks when last night shot blocks probably won them the game.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline  
Old
06-25-2013, 08:01 PM
  #942
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope
 
EvilCorporateLawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 75,138
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
Can I have some of your fenbro advanced syrup?
Fenbro Advanced Tussin

Fix the Rangers? Pour some Fenbro on 'em.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline  
Old
06-25-2013, 08:09 PM
  #943
Cresto
In the pantry
 
Cresto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,317
vCash: 500
All aspects weighed, with this lockout, at least our off season is shorter and more compact as far as draft, free agency, players updates, training camp preparation, training camp, preseason is concerned!

Cresto is online now  
Old
06-25-2013, 08:31 PM
  #944
NYR2007
Registered User
 
NYR2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 564
vCash: 500
after reading the last 10 - 15 posts i have come to the conclusion this is gonna be a long off season

NYR2007 is offline  
Old
06-25-2013, 08:45 PM
  #945
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
You are completely missing the point. I'm merely kidding around with you. I'm saying I think it's ironic that the Hawks won primarily due to blocked shots last night when they were outplayed for most of the game as well. You posted an article that discounted shot blocks when last night shot blocks probably won them the game.
Perhaps on the blocked shots, but the Hawks still had better Fenwick rating, which is the better tool to predict winning. So I'm confused as to how game 6 discounts that article.

Kershaw is offline  
Old
06-25-2013, 08:46 PM
  #946
Cresto
In the pantry
 
Cresto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,317
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR2007 View Post
after reading the last 10 - 15 posts i have come to the conclusion this is gonna be a long off season
unless Slats makes his move early. There's not that much cap space to work with and certainly not with the impending signings and negotiations.

Cresto is online now  
Old
06-25-2013, 09:12 PM
  #947
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 18,359
vCash: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Fenbro Advanced Tussin

Fix the Rangers? Pour some Fenbro on 'em.
How much does it cost for a shot of it in each of their Gatorades?

Silence Of The Plams is online now  
Old
06-25-2013, 10:05 PM
  #948
someone stole hank
Hail the Motherland!
 
someone stole hank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Podolsk, Russia
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 3,676
vCash: 500
hey guys ive been reading ur posts for a long time and finally decided to get a account.. last nights game almost killed me

someone stole hank is online now  
Old
06-25-2013, 10:56 PM
  #949
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke
 
Barbara Underhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 13,203
vCash: 500
Reason I don't like advanced stats for individuals is John Mitchell.

Barbara Underhill is offline  
Old
06-25-2013, 10:59 PM
  #950
JeffMangum
~anger~
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 57,963
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by moore is new mac View Post
hey guys ive been reading ur posts for a long time and finally decided to get a account.. last nights game almost killed me
Yeah, I lost my **** at that game, dude. I was kind of depressed after the Lucic goal because I wouldn't have been able to see a game seven (going to Great Adventure tomorrow, aw yeah), and then BAM. 3-2 Hawks. Craziest ending to a game I've ever seen in the playoffs.

...still not as good as Richards' tying goal in game five last year, though. I miss that Richards.

JeffMangum is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:20 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.