HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Niinima, deserved a thread tonight.

Old
10-13-2006, 12:51 PM
yukoner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by expos4ever View Post

first of all, "the ballots" won't be counted until AFTER Mr. Ribeiro retires - that is, we can't value the trade on the performance during a single season when the traded players have 5 years age difference (Ribs ~26, Niini ~31)! There's a long way to go yet... Who knows, Ribs could still blossom!

Also, Niinimaa has had some major repairs on his ankle this summer (a lot of hardware needed) - that is probably part of the reason he was available. This was a calculated risk that could go either way for Gainey.

vis-a-vis his ice time... this is a veteran ex all-star player. He should get top 4 ice-time if he plays at least reasonably well.
Has ribs even cracked the lineup yet?

yukoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2006, 06:24 AM
MalcomOdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukoner View Post

MalcomOdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2006, 05:02 PM
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
Quote:
Originally Posted by expos4ever View Post

first of all, "the ballots" won't be counted until AFTER Mr. Ribeiro retires - that is, we can't value the trade on the performance during a single season when the traded players have 5 years age difference (Ribs ~26, Niini ~31)! There's a long way to go yet... Who knows, Ribs could still blossom!

Also, Niinimaa has had some major repairs on his ankle this summer (a lot of hardware needed) - that is probably part of the reason he was available. This was a calculated risk that could go either way for Gainey.

vis-a-vis his ice time... this is a veteran ex all-star player. He should get top 4 ice-time if he plays at least reasonably well.
wont Ribeiro be a free agent after next season?

Crusher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 12:48 AM
Habsfan18

Do you guys think Janne is a rental player? Is he a UFA next summer?

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 01:07 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukoner View Post
I would say a 3-point night might be good enough....

But we also must take into account the 5th rounder VS the 6th....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 02:54 AM
tinyzombies

As long as Janne keeps it simple, he'll be a solid addition. I think he's a rental tho, unless he blows our socks off the rest of the year.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 11:06 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

What's incredible is that people judge giveaways to determine if it was a good or bad performance.....

Well on NHL.com it says that Komi had 2 takeaways, but 3 GIVEAWAYS!!!!!

Oh! my god, what an awful game Komi played yesterday....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 11:32 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Do you guys think Janne is a rental player? Is he a UFA next summer?
Since the day of the trade, I'm saying that he's not a rental player...he will resign with us and we will either trade one of our other UFA defenceman (most likely to go is Souray), and we will have a good defence crop...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 11:35 AM
KaptainKourage*

He play'd good yesterday too. Like him.. I think he play much more better than our 3 others UFA (Rivet, Souray, Markov)

KaptainKourage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 12:21 PM
Teufelsdreck

The Habs have bolstered their D somewhat with Niinimaa (does anyone deny that adding him was important?). The next step should be to make major improvements. Unfortunately there's a lag between the time 4 of the Habs Dmen can become free agents and the readiness of such prospects as Emelin and O'Byrne to step in. I can see Gainey signing another UFA out of necessity if Markov and Souray leave. I would not be averse to trading Souray before the deadline, and I would not offer Markov one cent more than $4M to stay. I don't want to see another Théodore situation with Markov.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 12:29 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
The Habs have bolstered their D somewhat with Niinimaa (does anyone deny that adding him was important?). The next step should be to make major improvements. Unfortunately there's a lag between the time 4 of the Habs Dmen can become free agents and the readiness of such prospects as Emelin and O'Byrne to step in. I can see Gainey signing another UFA out of necessity if Markov and Souray leave. I would not be averse to trading Souray before the deadline, and I would not offer Markov one cent more than $4M to stay. I don't want to see another Théodore situation with Markov.
How does Markov compare with Kubina? What other UFA D men are available next year?

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 12:42 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher20 View Post
has been playing better and better since game one... really if he plays like he did tonight our defense will be rock solid.. bouillon may replace... rivet?? Or will Bouillon pay when he comes back? Niinima was, fast, strong and specially smart.. i really really liked him tonight. getting in his old (young) form?
Bouillon may replace SOURAY ! He is our worst d-man so far this year. Maybe a trade with a team in California, or even Phoenix might help

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 12:47 PM
zamboni

I was impressed by Niinimaa last night. He's always been a favorite of mine and with the Habs being my 2nd favorite team, I'm stoked to see him do well.

zamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 02:22 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
How does Markov compare with Kubina? What other UFA D men are available next year?
I didn't mean to imply that there would be several UFA Dmen who are on a par with Markov. I could accept less if it cost substantially less. Defense is a team concept. The Devils survived the loss of Niedermeyer and Stevens, who each contributed far greater assets than Markov. Besides, Markov has been committing too many errors for my taste. Would you not concede that he has been outplayed by Komisarek? Let his performance, not our idealized image of him, speak when it comes to negotiating a new contract.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 03:27 PM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
I didn't mean to imply that there would be several UFA Dmen who are on a par with Markov. I could accept less if it cost substantially less. Defense is a team concept. The Devils survived the loss of Niedermeyer and Stevens, who each contributed far greater assets than Markov. Besides, Markov has been committing too many errors for my taste. Would you not concede that he has been outplayed by Komisarek? Let his performance, not our idealized image of him, speak when it comes to negotiating a new contract.
I don't think anyone is saying that Markov is playing well at the moment. But I think most people expect that he will return to form in the near future.
He is a real number 1 defenceman (or can play like one anyhow). We haven't had that in a long time so I would do everything possible to keep him...that is, of course, if he returns to the form where he was last year.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 10:35 PM
Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
Since the day of the trade, I'm saying that he's not a rental player...he will resign with us and we will either trade one of our other UFA defenceman (most likely to go is Souray), and we will have a good defence crop...
I'm thinking the same thing

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 01:35 PM
MalcomOdd

Defense on the right side

Did I see right? Niinimaa was playing on the right side at the end of the game after Dandenault and Rivest were hurt?

I do remember Bouillon trying to play on the right side to gain an open spot but he had problems. Not everyone can easily switch sides - ok Souray on the powerplay but this is another story.

Streit will come back on the left side and Niinimaawill be switched on the right : if he plays well there also, he is quite an addition to the team.

Old
10-16-2006, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcomOdd View Post
Did I see right? Niinimaa was playing on the right side at the end of the game after Dandenault and Rivest were hurt?

I do remember Bouillon trying to play on the right side to gain an open spot but he had problems. Not everyone can easily switch sides - ok Souray on the powerplay but this is another story.

Streit will come back on the left side and Niinimaawill be switched on the right : if he plays well there also, he is quite an addition to the team.
The transition to the left side for left handed defensman is much easier than it is for a right handed defensman to move to the left side.

Niinimaa is an experienced guy and judging by the lack of right handed d-men in the league, i'd assume it wouldn't be his first time playing the right side, I don't anticipate many problems.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 01:48 PM
MalcomOdd

It ended up being the other way around:
Streit playing the right side and Niinimaa on the left.
They are actually quite good together and can swith quite easily, this pair could be very interesting.

At least they are not shameful like Traverse could have been

Old
10-18-2006, 01:56 PM
GoHabsGO252006

Our D is a very important 8 Deep at this point.

Sourray while putting up points is not doing very well defensively. Rivet is struggling, but looks like he's improving slightly.

Komi has been a beast and looks awesome, Markov is Markov and Niinimaa is much imporved. Streit is a #6/7 but does not look out of place.

All this without two of our steadiest, most physical and fastest Dmen in Bouillon and Dandenault. I'm looking forward to the veteran depth we now have on D.

GoHabsGO252006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 02:55 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
Replacing Souray with Niinima won't make our defence any better.

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 10:04 AM
MalcomOdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGO252006 View Post
Our D is a very important 8 Deep at this point.

Sourray while putting up points is not doing very well defensively. Rivet is struggling, but looks like he's improving slightly.

Komi has been a beast and looks awesome, Markov is Markov and Niinimaa is much imporved. Streit is a #6/7 but does not look out of place.

All this without two of our steadiest, most physical and fastest Dmen in Bouillon and Dandenault. I'm looking forward to the veteran depth we now have on D.
A lot of players are struggling right now. Souray has now shown us he takes time to start ( if he ever does ) but Rivest and Markov ?
No wonder Huet is having problems - it is Aebisher that is surprising to me, he is a little bit less standing on his head and looks a little bit more solid than I ever thought he would be.

We have no solid defensemen, besides Komi, to rely on at this point so Streit and Niinimaa can look quite good.
We can dream of a European quick puck exchane line with Perez, plek and Kovy - Streit and Niinima but Kovalev is not passing the puck quikly