HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Flyers Waive 3/Is Baumgartner better than Streit?

Old
10-18-2006, 01:34 PM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
How long until Bobby Clarke make a big trade. If they lose there next two or three games, will see a major shakeup in Philly.

And knowing Bobby Clarke, it's gonna a be a trade that doesn't address any of their glaring needs. He'll go out and get another slow footed defensman.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 01:35 PM
hab

baumgartner would be the most usefull to us, but really there is no place for him

hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 01:36 PM
big_habs_fan

Now if only we could convince Clarke to make a trade that would bring Jeff Carter to the Habs. - They are stacked at centre...

big_habs_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 01:36 PM
hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
And knowing Bobby Clarke, it's gonna a be a trade that doesn't address any of their glaring needs. He'll go out and get another slow footed defensman.
exactly, I think the flyers have needed a goalie since hextall

hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 01:38 PM
hockey_nut

we won't sign Nedved... we have no defensive room for Baumgartner... niko might fit in... but who knows.. i think a lot of teams around the league are considering all 3

hockey_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 01:39 PM
hockey_nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hab View Post
exactly, I think the flyers have needed a goalie since hextall
uh oh... i smell abby for gagne rumors on the horizon

hockey_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I have always liked Baumgartner going back to junior days. I think of him as kind of a poor man's Craig Rivet. A jack of all trades, master of none, who has some shortcomings but generally works hard and knows how to play the game. He's actually the kind of 5th-6th defenseman who some people seem to be referring to when they talk about Rivet but get confused about NHL defensive depth charts.

If you can play him in a limited role and not expect too much from him he can do a pretty decent job. I don't think it's indicative of anything much that he managed to get 1 point more than each of Ohlund, Salo, and Jovanovski last year, that was just an anomaly, a good bit of PP time, injuries to those other guys, plus they didn't over-use him in other situations.

At $1.2M, though, it's not really a long-term option for us... maybe you could argue that he's a bit better than Streit as a temporary replacement for Dandenault, but we're not really looking at *that* long without Dandy and Cube, so eventually a $1.2M 8th defenseman becomes a bit unwieldy.

Streit has been biding his time, he deserves this chance, it would be rather disruptive to bring in somebody just for a short period and bump him, particularly somebody coming from the ashes of whatever's happening in Philly. So I don't think Baumgartner is really an option for us right now. He's no saviour, just another guy you'd have to monitor how much you rely on. But hopefully he lands somewhere, he should be in the league IMO.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Teufelsdreck

Does anyone recall a Phily troll who 'educated' us before the game with the Habs about the fact that the Flyers have 5 centers who are all better than any on the Habs (with the implied exception of Koivu)? One of the 5 (Nedved) has now been waived and the Flyers, rather than soaring like eagles, are floundering.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 01:40 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
Let's start the Souray to Philly proposals.

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 01:42 PM

What's funny is that I think the Flyers have their goalie of the future in Antero Niitymaki, I think he's very good, the problem is he's got a hip problem and they're not sure if he can handle the full load this year, so there's stuck with a problem. If they go out and acquire a goalie, what happens to Niitymaki next year?

No one wants Esche so they'll most likely have to waive him...they need to add mobility to their defense but defense is probably the hardest position you can trade for. Teams aren't interested in trading their defensman unless they've got great depth (Stars for example). So good luck with that Bobby

Unless the Flyers are willing to part with one of their youngsters, Richards, Carter or Umberger...the Flyers are going to have to bite the bullet and hope things turn around, if they don't, look for Forsberg to be moved at the deadling due to his impending UFA status.

Old
10-18-2006, 01:43 PM
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sXe View Post
for Forsberg and Gagné. maybe Habs should add that 2nd rounder?

Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sXe View Post
Could be a possibility, but unlikely IMO...I also don't think Souray is slow, he's got mobility issues, but he isn't slow IMO.

I like Souray, if it wasn't for the fact that his booming PP shot will get him top $ on the open market, i'd love to have him back at a moderate price.

Some team is going to blow their cap space signing Souray next year, you watch

Old
10-18-2006, 01:46 PM
BLNY

Send a message via MSN to BLNY Send a message via Yahoo to BLNY
Pass on all three. Nedved is washed up and expensive at $2.28m per. Dimitrakos doesn't fill a glaring weakness in our roster, so it is a waste of money. Baumgartner is a career minor leaguer. As was mentioned on the main board thread, the money spent on these three would have resigned Kim Jonsson, or at least gone a long way.

BLNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 01:46 PM
IcE ColD

Send a message via MSN to IcE ColD
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey_nut View Post
uh oh... i smell abby and a 2nd round pick for gagne rumors on the horizon
Fixed it for ya!

IcE ColD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 01:50 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
I don't think so. Clarke realized his potential mistakes on that front a LOOOONG time ago. Did you see the last Flyers draft? Did you see all the nifty little Swiss leaguer free agent types he brought over? If anything, he's going to swing too hard the other way in his ongoing effort to overcompensate. It's true, teams do have more room for smaller, faster, more talented players now. And he'll get a good player out of Giroux and some of the other kids he drafted eventually. But the team that lost hideously last night wasn't losing purely because of slow-footed behometh dmen or anything. There was just Hatcher. The Flyers have lost a lot of size and/or physicality recently with Primeau, Handzus, Roenick, and Rathje out... they don't have too much farther to go in that direction...

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 01:51 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Samsonov for Pitkanen....take it or leave it.....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 01:53 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
Nolan Baumgartner = No, because we could call up Jancevski or Traverse and it would be probably better. He'll probably go through unclaimed.

Petr Nedved = Hmmm....He's getting ancient, he's earning too much cashola (2.36M), but if he were cheap, I'd probably pick him to try him between our Russians. But right now, no. He could be claimed by somebody in desperate need of an offensive center that have the cap space. Potential Suitors? St. Louis, Washington...you know, those guys...He could be claimed.

Niko Dimitrakos = No, we have depth at wings coming out from our ears, asides, he's small, and I think our bottom six is just fine as is thank you. But at 675,000$, I can see a bottom feeding team take a shot at him.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 01:58 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
I like Dimitrakos.

. i like him also

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 02:00 PM
oli500

Nedved could make us a better team up the midle. We keep koivu,plekanec and bonk as are 1,2,3 centers, With downey out for a bit we could move begin to the wing. (Begin is a better player when hes a winger as he plays with more intensity) and give latendresse a guy that has some offensive punch.

Begin-nedved-latendresse. Not to bad for a 4th line.

If only nedev was making a million less I would jump all over this oportunity.

Last edited by oli500: 10-18-2006 at 02:05 PM.
oli500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 02:05 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by oli500 View Post
Nedved could make us a better team up the midle. We keep koivu,plekanec and bonk as are 1,2,3 centers, With downey out for a bit we could move begin to the wing. (Begin is a better player when hes a winger as he plays with more intensity) and give latendresse a guy that has some offensive punch.

Begin-nedved-latendresse. Not to bad for a 4th line.
A fourth line centre with a 2.28 million cap hit interesting

I just saw you edited your post hahaha

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 02:06 PM
Pat

Habs won't pickup either one of those...unless Eklund says otherwise with an E4 tag

Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I don't think so. Clarke realized his potential mistakes on that front a LOOOONG time ago. Did you see the last Flyers draft? Did you see all the nifty little Swiss leaguer free agent types he brought over? If anything, he's going to swing too hard the other way in his ongoing effort to overcompensate. It's true, teams do have more room for smaller, faster, more talented players now. And he'll get a good player out of Giroux and some of the other kids he drafted eventually. But the team that lost hideously last night wasn't losing purely because of slow-footed behometh dmen or anything. There was just Hatcher. The Flyers have lost a lot of size and/or physicality recently with Primeau, Handzus, Roenick, and Rathje out... they don't have too much farther to go in that direction...
I was only kidding...

Old
10-18-2006, 02:18 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

I would pick up Dimitrakos. He's awesome.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 02:30 PM
Shatmat*

I see Nedved going to Atlanta.

Shatmat* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 03:06 PM
BORAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
How long until Bobby Clarke make a big trade. If they lose there next two or three games, will see a major shakeup in Philly.
WAIVE'EM ALL Clarkey WAIVE'eM !!!!!!!!

BORAT is offline   Reply With Quote