HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Don Cherry & Coach's Corner '13 Version | Part III

Old
06-24-2013, 10:41 PM
canucksfan

vCash: 990
Typically every year Donny will state how many Canadians are on the Cup winning team, Bruins and Kings as recent examples.

This year there are only nine. Think he will state how many Canadians are on the Hawks?

canucksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 11:26 PM
Hutz
Classless User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleshemsky83 View Post
Don't European clubs and leagues have ratio rules for north Americans?
The CHL already has rules governing "imports". What's being discussed is an outright ban.

Hutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 11:34 PM
SashaSemin28
Because Its The Caps

vCash: 50
Send a message via Skype™ to SashaSemin28
Quote:
you're right, I'm sorry. They must have been worried about a wave of Icelandic superstars taking all the EU roster spots.

Come on.
Switzerland...

SashaSemin28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 11:57 PM
aleshemsky83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutz View Post
The CHL already has rules governing "imports". What's being discussed is an outright ban.
The chl is a developmental league, also not the point
Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaSemin28 View Post
Switzerland...
Right, right, so they were worried about Swiss players flooding their leagues my mistake.

I honestly dont know how to continue this without saying "come on" over and over but I'll try, Grapes is wrong if he thinks that Europeans don't belong in the NHL but considering the ratio rules in Europe, Don is not the only bigot around because those rules were clearly targeting North Americans. It's good to hear they are getting rid of them,

Does russia have ratio rules?

aleshemsky83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 12:48 AM
Uncle Rotter

Quote:
Does russia have ratio rules?
Quote:
Though now not as restrictive in maintaining an exclusively Russian composition of players and teams, Russian teams are still not allowed to sign more than five foreign players, while non-Russian teams must have at least five players from their respective country. Foreign goaltenders on Russian teams have a limit regarding total seasonal ice time.[13]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kontine...League#Players

Uncle Rotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 12:56 AM
Pepper

Quote:
you're right, I'm sorry. They must have been worried about a wave of Icelandic superstars taking all the EU roster spots.

Come on.
Come on yourself, educate yourself about EU.

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 03:27 AM
aleshemsky83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
Come on yourself, educate yourself about EU.
Good news, thats not even relevant to my point anymore, since Russia has a ratio for any foreigners according to the post above.

Old
06-25-2013, 01:29 PM
Hal 9000*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Did Don say both Jones and Mackinnon are going to go first overall?
When Jones was ranked No.1 everyone thought the Avs would take Jones. Cherry, said that Avs would take MacKinnon and I haven't seen him change that stance, maybe you have. I haven't seen as many Coaches Corners as you Cherry haters so maybe you have it on file somewhere, but to my knowledge Don was the first to call it (again) and hasn't changed.

Hal 9000* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 10:50 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Good news, thats not even relevant to my point anymore, since Russia has a ratio for any foreigners according to the post above.
Actually that is out of date info as well, the goalie restrictions will be gone and starting next year, there is no foreign limit on players coming from the countries that have KHL teams (current plan, that could change though).

You do realize that not every country was in the EU when they implemented foreign players restrictions and above all, that the original idea was to keep player budgets somewhat sensical and parity wise (rich teams could have stacked themselves with more foreign players than the rest of the league combined? E.g. in 1991-92 season Sm-Liiga had a two player limit, and those players were mostly Czechs, Russians or North Americans. The champions Helsinki Jokerit (led by a certain Teemu Selänne) had two Czechs in the squad back then, star center Otakar Janecky and Mojmir Bozik, a depth defenseman.

Last edited by Jussi: 06-25-2013 at 10:59 PM.
Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 04:43 AM
aleshemsky83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Actually that is out of date info as well, the goalie restrictions will be gone and starting next year, there is no foreign limit on players coming from the countries that have KHL teams (current plan, that could change though).

You do realize that not every country was in the EU when they implemented foreign players restrictions and above all, that the original idea was to keep player budgets somewhat sensical and parity wise (rich teams could have stacked themselves with more foreign players than the rest of the league combined? E.g. in 1991-92 season Sm-Liiga had a two player limit, and those players were mostly Czechs, Russians or North Americans. The champions Helsinki Jokerit (led by a certain Teemu Selänne) had two Czechs in the squad back then, star center Otakar Janecky and Mojmir Bozik, a depth defenseman.
Why not just make the rules based upon which league the player last played in then? Why not have a salary cap then? Why put roster limits based on nationality and passport? Some backward-ass thinking by the rule makers there.

Last edited by aleshemsky83: 06-29-2013 at 04:49 AM.
Old
06-29-2013, 09:16 AM
feds91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal 9000 View Post
When Jones was ranked No.1 everyone thought the Avs would take Jones. Cherry, said that Avs would take MacKinnon and I haven't seen him change that stance, maybe you have. I haven't seen as many Coaches Corners as you Cherry haters so maybe you have it on file somewhere, but to my knowledge Don was the first to call it (again) and hasn't changed.
Don Cherry also said that he would have taken Gilbert Brule over Sydney Crosby in 2005. He also blasted Montreal for picking Price over Brule. Sometimes he gets it right, and some times, um, not so much.

feds91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 12:48 PM
Coldplay
Courage

He's at it again.

Don Cherry ‏@CoachsCornerCBC 1m
6) there. Mark it on the wall.

Don CherryDon Cherry ‏@CoachsCornerCBC 1m
5) who was around was Rask. 28 Canadians in the finals. Please note where these teams always end up in the standings. Guaranteed to stay

Don CherryDon Cherry ‏@CoachsCornerCBC 2m
4) 15 Canadians on Boston and 13 on Chicago. Bickell from Orono ties the game late and Bolland of Mimico scores the winner. Only European

Don CherryDon Cherry ‏@CoachsCornerCBC 4m
3) Dallas taking Valeri Nichushkin over Max Domi. Florida taking Aleksander Barkov over Drouin. Didn't they see the Stanley Cup Finals?

Don CherryDon Cherry ‏@CoachsCornerCBC 6m
2) a dynamite hockey player and SSM's Darnell Nurse. And Buffalo taking Rasmus Ristolainen over Bo Horvat of the London Knights. How about

Don CherryDon Cherry ‏@CoachsCornerCBC 7m
1) Pardon me again, I just can't get over Carolina picking Elias Lindholm in their first pick passing over Sean Monahan of the Ottawa 67's

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 12:51 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Cherry on a euro rant lol

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 12:52 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
The replies to those tweets are awesome

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 12:55 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Those are classic

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 01:00 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
The replies to those tweets are awesome
So many good ones.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 01:19 PM
BobDobolina

vCash: 504
Does CBC really have some guy/girl writing those tweets for that account? What a network.

BobDobolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 02:13 PM
Joey Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal 9000 View Post
Don called Mackinnon first overall? As if noone else knew?

Joey Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 02:32 PM
aleshemsky83

Quote:
Why not just make the rules based upon which league the player last played in then? Why not have a salary cap then? Why put roster limits based on nationality and passport? Some backward-ass thinking by the rule makers there.
I'm curious about this, we were having a conversation about roster limits in europe. Any euros have an answer as to why they're in place?

Old
07-03-2013, 02:32 PM
BobDobolina

vCash: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Hoser View Post
Don called Mackinnon first overall? As if noone else knew?
Don also knew that Ryan Murphy and Jason Spezza would go number one.

BobDobolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 02:49 PM
SashaSemin28
Because Its The Caps

Send a message via Skype™ to SashaSemin28
Quote:
I'm curious about this, we were having a conversation about roster limits in europe. Any euros have an answer as to why they're in place?
Most EU countries have limits like this not just in hockey.In football, Italy has a maximum of 2 non EU signings per season, Spain has a maximum of 3 non EU players in a teams squad. In regards to hockey, as someone alluded to earlier, when these limits were put in place, the main central/eastern european countries for hockey (not including former Soviet Republics), weren't EU members, so it protected the country in some ways

SashaSemin28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 03:01 PM
aleshemsky83

Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaSemin28 View Post
Most EU countries have limits like this not just in hockey.In football, Italy has a maximum of 2 non EU signings per season, Spain has a maximum of 3 non EU players in a teams squad. In regards to hockey, as someone alluded to earlier, when these limits were put in place, the main central/eastern european countries for hockey (not including former Soviet Republics), weren't EU members, so it protected the country in some ways
But the previous poster was saying it was to control salary, so now that they have a salary cap, why do they have roster/import limits as well?

Last edited by aleshemsky83: 07-03-2013 at 05:18 PM.
Old
07-03-2013, 03:12 PM
Grammar Butcher

1) Pardon me again, I just can't get over Carolina picking Elias Lindholm in their first pick passing over Sean Monahan of the Ottawa 67's

Plain stupid or what? Luckily he didn't know that the Bruins tried hard to trade up for Elias... Then he probably would have had his last breath.

Clown Broadcast Corporation strikes again with their ultimate spokesman.

Grammar Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 03:19 PM
frankthetank91

Lmao oh man this one is unreal. You could maybe understand if he was complaining about one pick but he literally trashed anyone who took a Euro in the top 10. I am dying. I do usually agree with Don and I know what he means(I like my share of Ontario boys on my team and would like to get more) but he's being a bit ridiculous.

If Don Cherry was a GM:

Bickell-Zigomanis-Clarkson
Horton-Kadri-Clutterbuck
Martin-Bolland-Stewart
Orr-Campbell-Thornton

Actually after compling it that's not a bad looking team LOL, well except Zigo on the 1st line, or any line.

frankthetank91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 03:44 PM
mikko1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
He's at it again.

Don Cherry ‏@CoachsCornerCBC 1m
6) there. Mark it on the wall.

Don CherryDon Cherry ‏@CoachsCornerCBC 1m
5) who was around was Rask. 28 Canadians in the finals. Please note where these teams always end up in the standings. Guaranteed to stay

Don CherryDon Cherry ‏@CoachsCornerCBC 2m
4) 15 Canadians on Boston and 13 on Chicago. Bickell from Orono ties the game late and Bolland of Mimico scores the winner. Only European

Don CherryDon Cherry ‏@CoachsCornerCBC 4m
3) Dallas taking Valeri Nichushkin over Max Domi. Florida taking Aleksander Barkov over Drouin. Didn't they see the Stanley Cup Finals?

Don CherryDon Cherry ‏@CoachsCornerCBC 6m
2) a dynamite hockey player and SSM's Darnell Nurse. And Buffalo taking Rasmus Ristolainen over Bo Horvat of the London Knights. How about

Also had this to say before that:

Don Cherry ‏@CoachsCornerCBC 5m
Florida's GM Dale Tallon who always said he likes Canadians, drafted a Fin. He said he needed scoring. He could have had Drouin with the Mooseheads who won the Memorial Cup and he was the leader in scoring, over MacKinnon, the top pick. Florida missed out on a 2 way player who can score. I hope Dale knows what he's doing. He passed on 3 guys Drouin, Nurse and Jones, who are guaranteed to make the NHL for a guy who played last year in the ice follies.

mikko1995 is offline   Reply With Quote