HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Laughton to Edmonton

Old
04-25-2013, 06:36 PM
17Kurri

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
If you're in a position to take Monahan, it means you can also pick Nurse, Zadorov, Pulock and Ristolainen.
So Laughton and one of these dmen as opposed to Klefbom and Monahan/Barkov, for example? Interesting take, but I think both teams are better served by standing pat.

17Kurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 12:05 AM
Greasy Sliders

Going through my old threads and figured I'd give it a bump.. Would Klefbom/Gernat/Marincin be fair?

And if you're looking for a good laugh, this thread delivers.

Greasy Sliders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 12:10 AM
MSSLYNX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasy Sliders View Post
Going through my old threads and figured I'd give it a bump.. Would Klefbom/Gernat/Marincin be fair?

And if you're looking for a good laugh, this thread delivers.
You got me. Did not notice it was an old thread. Laughton has all the tools to become a Flyers: he is put down already!

I read excellent reports. I would hold on to him unless overwhelming offer. Would not trade for prospects or backup goalie.

MSSLYNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 12:55 AM
KJS14

This is probably the best thread I've seen on here. And for the guy who said pizza lunchables were not good, you missed out during lunch.

KJS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 01:46 AM
Kulleroinen
Oilers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo11 View Post
so just that I understand

the oilers are giving up good prosepcts for a 31 year journeymen goalie who got traded to columbus from philly and has not played a game since the trade and is a UFA in the off season?

what am I missing--this is either a joke or a bump of a thread from three years ago
So I wasn't the only one who thought this.

Kulleroinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 02:02 AM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post
Klefbom for Laughton... helps both teams needs...
This is probably fair but may not be something either team would do. If the Flyers DO move Couturier then Laughton HAS to remain to become our 3rd line center. If the Flyers decide to keep Couturier then Laughton can be dealt. However, Edm NEEDS young developing dmen and I can't see them dealing him (even if this offer was fair) as he's the kind of guy they need to keep.

I think that a better option might be something like Laughton + pick (say a 3rd) for Edm 1st this year. I fully understand that this deal would have to be made at the time of the draft and that the centers Edm was looking at were off the board and they felt that Laughton would be a better option. The Flyers could potentially draft two top dmen in the first 11 picks this year and they keep Couturier too. This seems to me to be the most logical potential for a trade between the two teams.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 02:14 AM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
This is probably fair but may not be something either team would do. If the Flyers DO move Couturier then Laughton HAS to remain to become our 3rd line center. If the Flyers decide to keep Couturier then Laughton can be dealt. However, Edm NEEDS young developing dmen and I can't see them dealing him (even if this offer was fair) as he's the kind of guy they need to keep.

I think that a better option might be something like Laughton + pick (say a 3rd) for Edm 1st this year. I fully understand that this deal would have to be made at the time of the draft and that the centers Edm was looking at were off the board and they felt that Laughton would be a better option. The Flyers could potentially draft two top dmen in the first 11 picks this year and they keep Couturier too. This seems to me to be the most logical potential for a trade between the two teams.
I'm happy with Monahan or Nurse as they both fill a need.

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 02:42 AM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
I'm happy with Monahan or Nurse as they both fill a need.
I can certainly understand that. You guys NEED more defenseman prospects too. In reality Laughton probably doesn't have 2nd line center upside so I can't really see the NEED for him. If you are fine with Gagner as your #2 (there seems to be some mixed feeling among Edm fans regarding this) then it's a matter or weighing whether someone like Nurse would help you long term more than a shut-down center for the 3rd line (like Laughton) would. I'm not trying to tell you guys what you SHOULD do, but this was the only scenario that made much sense to me for Edm acquiring Laughton.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 02:47 AM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post
Klefbom for Laughton... helps both teams needs...
seem pretty fair

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 06:17 AM

vCash: 50
So this thread is basically Edmonton fans wanting our best prospect but not wanting to give up anything for him.

It's like reading a Toronto thread.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 06:49 AM
supert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster View Post
Klefbom for Laughton is fair. However, as an Oiler fan I wouldn't do it until I see where we end up drafting. If we are in a position to take Monahan or Barkov the deal makes little sense.
I think the better fit for both teams would be Laughton and the Flyers 1st for our 1st . Flyers get Nurse for sure , we add a centre and use the Flyers pick to grab another C . Keep in mind that i do not know where the Flyers are drafting . I do not follow them . If they are at 9th we would probably have to add a 2nd too for this to be fair

Last edited by supert: 06-26-2013 at 07:12 AM.
supert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 06:56 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
So this thread is basically Edmonton fans wanting our best prospect but not wanting to give up anything for him.

And yet when the offer was Marincin plus a second this was scoffed as low ball. Laughton admittedly had an outstanding in the OHL but Marincin, who is only one year older, was the best defensemen on the AHL Barons, a team that came within a hair of making it to the Calder cup final losing out to the eventual winner.

Marincin is a 6'5" left handed puck moving defenseman who can really skate and who has an excellent offensive game already. What was most surprising was how well he played defensively, especially in the playoffs. Flyer fans would not make this trade but as an Oiler fan I would not either given that they already have Lander who is a rather similar player. The potential upgrade to Laughton is not worth Marincin to me, especially if the Oiler had to add a 2nd in such a deep draft.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 07:02 PM
Brewster

Bump. I would imagine a deal involving Laughton for Klefbom/Marincin makes even more sense now with the recent acquisition of Lecavalier by Philly and the selection of Nurse by Edmonton in the draft, giving them a logjam of D prospects. Further thoughts?

Brewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 07:31 PM
NitHeel
Mucker/Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster View Post
Bump. I would imagine a deal involving Laughton for Klefbom/Marincin makes even more sense now with the recent acquisition of Lecavalier by Philly and the selection of Nurse by Edmonton in the draft, giving them a logjam of D prospects. Further thoughts?
Deal.

NitHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 07:41 PM
Wiqkid*

Laughton for Klefbom sounds good to me.

Wiqkid* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 07:47 PM
Steve BachIntyre
BonegrinderNetminder

Kbomb is going nowhere.

Steve BachIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 07:55 PM
hockeyfreak7

Yup, I've been advocating a Laughton/Klefbom deal.

Coburn+Laughton for MPS+Klefbom just seems fair. I get that Edmonton doesn't want to deal Klefbom, though. I wouldn't expect them to give him up.

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 08:32 PM
Brian28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post

Kind of like where Philly fans want our only blue chip D prospect and are offering a center who, based on Philly fans mind you, doesn't have 2nd line upside? That kind of thread you mean?

Brian28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 08:36 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Laughton + 3rd for Klefbom?

Laughton I think is going to be a very good 3C or a decent 2C.

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 08:36 PM
Brian28

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
Yup, I've been advocating a Laughton/Klefbom deal.

Coburn+Laughton for MPS+Klefbom just seems fair. I get that Edmonton doesn't want to deal Klefbom, though. I wouldn't expect them to give him up.
Edmonton can't afford to deal Klefbom. Even if we're getting a top 4 D back we're shipping out our most NHL ready D prospect who has #2 upside. Simply having Nurse in the cupboard doesn't make Klefbom expendable.

Old
07-02-2013, 08:41 PM
Brian28

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
Laughton + 3rd for Klefbom?

Laughton I think is going to be a very good 3C or a decent 2C.
And Klefbom is going to be a very good #3-4 or a decent #2 D. Which would you value higher...potential 2nd line C or potential 1st pairing D? There's always the option for Edmonton to pair 2 #2 guys down the road in Schultz/Klefbom while Nurse develops. He's not available.

Old
07-02-2013, 08:45 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian28 View Post
Kind of like where Philly fans want our only blue chip D prospect and are offering a center who, based on Philly fans mind you, doesn't have 2nd line upside? That kind of thread you mean?
Laughton most certainly has 2C upside. Phlocky is the only person I have seen who has said otherwise, but he's notorious for "overcompensating" as a Flyers fan. Guess that's not the worst quality you could have on HF.

But, as far as upside goes, Laughton is built in the same mold as a Mike Richards or a David Backes. If all goes according to plan, he'd be a clone of Richards; they certainly have a very similar skill set. At the very least, Laughton will be a hell of a third line center who can crash, bang, and play responsibly in each zone.

Quote:
Edmonton can't afford to deal Klefbom. Even if we're getting a top 4 D back we're shipping out our most NHL ready D prospect who has #2 upside. Simply having Nurse in the cupboard doesn't make Klefbom expendable.
That's totally fair. I don't think anybody expects you to give a player up just because you got a new one. Although the way the trade boards are with Couturier/Schenn right now, you'd think otherwise.

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 09:01 PM
Lord Flacko*
Down to let it go

vCash: 907
Would the Oilers be interested in Brendan Gaunce?? Not sure what you would want to give up for him though.

Lord Flacko* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 09:11 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Laughton for Klefbom is fair value.

however.

I think the flyers will need some cheap forwards for the bottom six in the next couple of years and laughton could serve a valuable role in that capacity. Other forwards such as noebels akeson, might not be able to hang around long term.

IN terms of cheap D we have gus, laurison, and in a couple of years ghost. Maybe even Hagg.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 09:31 PM
NitHeel
Mucker/Grinder

Quote:
The guy who suggested this has an Oiler avatar.

NitHeel is offline   Reply With Quote