HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

2013 Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): Charlie Manuel has been fired (Aug. 16)

Closed Thread

Old
06-24-2013, 01:04 PM
FlyersFan61290

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
He does, but I think it was a little stupid for him not to say he was hurt earlier, when he should of been out then instead of making it worse. But what are you going to do, him playing and trying to get the team to win is a big thing for him, even more so than feeling good.
I feel like a guy like Utley would do the same in his position and it kinda what makes you love to have these guys on your team. I'll never forget when Chase got hit in the back of the head with a pitch and he took first. The trainers came out and wanted to take him out of the game and he got visibly pissed. His helmet was pinkish-white where he got hit so you know it wasn't a glancing blow either. Some guys are just like that, but yeah it was pretty stupid.

Old
06-24-2013, 01:46 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
I feel like a guy like Utley would do the same in his position and it kinda what makes you love to have these guys on your team. I'll never forget when Chase got hit in the back of the head with a pitch and he took first. The trainers came out and wanted to take him out of the game and he got visibly pissed. His helmet was pinkish-white where he got hit so you know it wasn't a glancing blow either. Some guys are just like that, but yeah it was pretty stupid.
Everyone can get mad at these guys for hiding their injuries because they want to play, but in the end, you really have to respect their heart. People get pissed at Rollins because he dogs it on a grounder every now and then, and in the same breath, they get pissed at Doc for not telling trainers he was hurt.

06-24-2013, 03:45 PM
jml87

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
I feel like the difference is that halladay was legit hurting the team by withholding information. If Chase feels like his play is hindering the team, he's not going to play. When he tore his labrum for example, his average suffered and he clearly wasn't right out there but he was still better than most of the lineup. Can you imagine winning the World Series without Utley? Not possible. However, when his knees were so bad he could barely move, he wasn't playing.

With halladay, he was continually going out there and putting his teammates in a hole. Minor leaguers were a better option than him. I have no issue with players pushing through injuries. But when it gets to the point that you are blocking a better option, then I think that's just being selfish.

Old
06-24-2013, 11:51 PM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Phils collapsing in the 9th right now...

Old
06-24-2013, 11:55 PM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Past ball and the game is tied. Papelbon with another blown save.

Old
06-25-2013, 12:06 AM
The Couturier Effect

In 3 of the last 4 games, the Phillies have blown two 3 run leads and a 6 run lead.

If that isn't enough to get Charlie fired, I don't know what will.

I'm so ******* pissed right now.

Old
06-25-2013, 12:07 AM
The Couturier Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaFlyers View Post
Past ball and the game is tied. Papelbon with another blown save.
Really can't blame him there. I don't know what Lee was doing out here in the 9th. Charlie has to grow a pair of balls and tell him to sit on the bench.

Old
06-25-2013, 12:08 AM
Phileeguy
G's got good hands.

So Cliff Lee made it through the 8th, struggled with a batter but went 1-2-3. He had a pitch count of 109 or so, was up to bat with a chance to tack on another run while having a 3-0 lead in a pitcher's park. Sounds like a perfect time for a pinch hitter and a good situation to get Papelbon back on track.

Of course Charlie doesn't see that. He just wants a CGSO from his best pitcher. Granted, Papelbon has been struggling, hindsight is 20-20 and yadda-yadda-yadda. He wasn't good tonight either. But if you want to get a guy back on track, you bring him into the game when it's easiest/least leverage. You knew if Cliff got in trouble (which he did) then Papelbon would come into a tough situation.

Old
06-25-2013, 09:12 AM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
How many more losses is it going to take to get chuck and ruben out? They are only a game ahead of the mets in the loss column. If they do start dismantling this group (which they should), hopefully it is Gillick pulling the strings.

Old
06-25-2013, 09:28 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justified View Post
How many more losses is it going to take to get chuck and ruben out? They are only a game ahead of the mets in the loss column. If they do start dismantling this group (which they should), hopefully it is Gillick pulling the strings.
I don't know, but beat writers, and "MLB Insider" people seem to think that Ruben will be buying at the deadline if they're 10 or fewer games back of the Wild Card at the deadline...ridiculous.

Old
06-25-2013, 09:34 AM
SolidSnakeUS

How delusional some of the people that running the team is astonishing...

Old
06-25-2013, 09:47 AM
FLYguy3911

His job's on the line. Of course he'll do that.

Old
06-25-2013, 09:48 AM
jml87

God, what a nightmare this is. And I seriously hate certain people on this team. It makes it hard to root for the team when guys like Pabelbon and D. Young are there. Ruben has no concept of team chemistry or the numbers for that matter. Maybe cause he himself is an egotistical *******.

Old
06-25-2013, 10:24 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
His job's on the line. Of course he'll do that.
You'd think rational people would be able to say we took our chance at another WS, we missed, and now it's over. So in order to get another chance as soon as possible, we need to sell off some of our bigger contracts while we can, and bring in young major league ready talent. Then we'll have cheap talent coupled with available money to bring in a few big time free agents over the course of the next couple years, and get back to where we were 5 or 6 years ago.

I don't think Ruben is the guy to fix the team, but if management thought he was I don't see why they would fire him because a team of old injured players is not winning. You'd also hope that they would know the state of their team, and that added pressure on their GM to produce immediate gains at the cost of actually fixing the problems would be the worst thing they could do.

It doesn't seem like they do know the state of their team, and that they either think they'll magically be good again next year, or they think they could win a WS this year with the right additions. Which means Ruben has either 1) No pressure to fix the team, or 2) Way too much pressure to somehow win a world series with a bunch of bad or old players.

I want him gone, and I want him gone before he does more damage to the team.

Last edited by Protest: 06-25-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old
06-25-2013, 03:07 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
You'd think rational people would be able to say we took our chance at another WS, we missed, and now it's over. So in order to get another chance as soon as possible, we need to sell off some of our bigger contracts while we can, and bring in young major league ready talent. Then we'll have cheap talent coupled with available money to bring in a few big time free agents over the course of the next couple years, and get back to where we were 5 or 6 years ago.

I don't think Ruben is the guy to fix the team, but if management thought he was I don't see why they would fire him because a team of old injured players is not winning. You'd also hope that they would know the state of their team, and that added pressure on their GM to produce immediate gains at the cost of actually fixing the problems would be the worst thing they could do.

It doesn't seem like they do know the state of their team, and that they either think they'll magically be good again next year, or they think they could win a WS this year with the right additions. Which means Ruben has either 1) No pressure to fix the team, or 2) Way too much pressure to somehow win a world series with a bunch of bad or old players.

I want him gone, and I want him gone before he does more damage to the team.
They have the TV deal coming up as well. As much as I hope for a sell off, I don't see it happening.

Old
06-26-2013, 07:42 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Halladay has been throwing for a couple days, and the Tigers and Phils are in talks about Papelbon. Also says Utley might be someone who is moved, but that is just speculation at this point.

Quote:
“Don’t be surprised if you see Papelbon end up in Detroit. If the Tigers have a chance to get the closer they need, they won’t let [a big asking price] stand in the way. So if you’re Ruben, how can you not do that if the Tigers step up the way I think they’re about to step up?”

http://philliesnation.com/archives/2...d-in-papelbon/

Old
06-26-2013, 09:37 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

If the Tigers are willing to pony up nice prospects for Papelbon then MOVE HIM. Can't get him a lead to save anyway.

Old
06-26-2013, 10:53 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Castellanos please, wanted to draft him in 2010 if we can get him now id be thrilled.

Don't believe alot of the philly press the phills know they are sellers

Old
06-26-2013, 11:44 AM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
If the Tigers are willing to pony up nice prospects for Papelbon then MOVE HIM. Can't get him a lead to save anyway.
Meh. I think Papelbon will be fine over the course of the season.

Yes - Tigers are my first choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Castellanos please, wanted to draft him in 2010 if we can get him now id be thrilled.

Don't believe alot of the philly press the phills know they are sellers
This is the name who I'd want coming back. Even though I do want to see what Asche can do, I still would want Castellanos back.

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
Old
06-26-2013, 01:07 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0otnSc0re View Post
Meh. I think Papelbon will be fine over the course of the season.

Yes - Tigers are my first choice.

This is the name who I'd want coming back. Even though I do want to see what Asche can do, I still would want Castellanos back.
I know he's fine, I meant the Phils suck at having the lead by the 9th inning.

Old
06-26-2013, 02:10 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0otnSc0re View Post
Castellanos seems unlikely but one can hope. He's been moved to the OF this year in AAA but appears to be heating up. I don't know what the plan will be for Asche but with the way Maikel Franco is playing right now he's likely the phils new #1 prospect so it will be interesting to see what management opts to do next camp.

Old
06-26-2013, 02:16 PM
zarley zelepukin

I think Castellanos was mostly moved off 3B because of Cabrera, so he might be able to move back. Even if not, it wouldn't be the worst thing to get a stud OF prospect who's nearly ready. But, that said, I wouldn't get my hopes up about Det trading him to us.

Old
06-26-2013, 02:27 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarley zelepukin View Post
I think Castellanos was mostly moved off 3B because of Cabrera, so he might be able to move back. Even if not, it wouldn't be the worst thing to get a stud OF prospect who's nearly ready. But, that said, I wouldn't get my hopes up about Det trading him to us.
yes that's why he was moved to OF from what i heard, saw him play against the phils AAA last week. just pointing it out since the phils sorely need help at OF in the near future unless they can get something solid from one of Ruf, Tyson Gillies, perhaps Castro next year since I got to hope that Delmon Young won't be back next season.

I wouldn't hope out hope on Castellanos unless a bidding war breaks out or the phils pony some dough as part of a package deal perhaps. I heard or read somewhere that boston was also interested in papelbon.

Old
06-26-2013, 02:55 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

I don't know much about other teams prospects, but that Castellanos kid is tearing it up in AAA right now. He's the type of player we need to get, someone with talent who is ready to break into the big leagues as soon as next year. If they think they're a closer away from a championship they'll consider moving him for Papelbon, especially considering the Red Sox have showed interest in him.

I wonder if the Orioles could afford Lee, and if they have the prospects to get it done. I would be interested in him if I were them.

Old
06-26-2013, 04:30 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
I don't know much about other teams prospects, but that Castellanos kid is tearing it up in AAA right now. He's the type of player we need to get, someone with talent who is ready to break into the big leagues as soon as next year. If they think they're a closer away from a championship they'll consider moving him for Papelbon, especially considering the Red Sox have showed interest in him.

I wonder if the Orioles could afford Lee, and if they have the prospects to get it done. I would be interested in him if I were them.
I don't know if the Orioles would bite on Lee or not, they have the prospects though to get it done. Texas is a team that is supposedly interested in Lee and they certainly have the prospects to get Lee.

Closed Thread