HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

what player will torts help the most?

View Poll Results: which player will tortz help the most
ballard 21 9.77%
booth 15 6.98%
edler 57 26.51%
hansen 9 4.19%
higgins 5 2.33%
kassian 90 41.86%
raymond 1 0.47%
wiese 3 1.40%
other 14 6.51%
Voters: 215. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-26-2013, 07:42 AM
dave babych returns

vCash: 500
Honestly I think there's a chance it could be the Sedins.

Torts is going to challenge players and they have a long history of rising to challenges (PPG in hand-selected playoff games notwithstanding).

They are incredibly fit and with a new special teams roll - and less depth throughout the lineup than we've become accustomed to - we might see Tortorella ride them to the tune of 20+ minutes a night.

dave babych returns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 07:49 AM
hockeywoot

My Predictions (don't get mad)

Up:
-Hamhuis,Garrison and Tanev (PP time. Yup. I said it.)
-Sedins (more minutes. all situations. consummate professionals. they're up for the challenge.)

-Booth (IMO will get more out of him defensively. I bet by season's end he'll be racking up big minutes)

*Kes, Burrows, Higgins, H. Badger. They already fit the mold of Torts type guys.

Down:
-Kassian, will be put in chances to succeed...BUT IMO will get benched until he buys into responsible two way game

-Bieksa (reduced role and minutes. too many gaffes. Torts don't like. maybe more effective, but we will complain that he's overpaid)

hockeywoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 07:55 AM
mooped*

I also think Ballard, if he's still on the team, has a bounce back season. He seems to be a player that Torts would love; he had an insane amount of shot blocks during his tenure with Florida and I think he can play a simple game that meshes well with Torts' system.

mooped* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 09:02 AM
carolinacanuck

Not that he needs a lot of help but I'm gonna say Kesler is really gonna flourish under Torts. I'll even go so far as to say Selke nomination...

carolinacanuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 09:06 AM
Wolfhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooped View Post
I also think Ballard, if he's still on the team, has a bounce back season. He seems to be a player that Torts would love; he had an insane amount of shot blocks during his tenure with Florida and I think he can play a simple game that meshes well with Torts' system.
I think Ballard as well. Because I feel like Ballard even playing in the majority of games would help him more than Edler laying out a few more hits, or Kassian scoring 10 more goals.

Also, I'm wondering if a guy like Tanev will really flourish under Torts. He's such the poster boy in here, and I like him myself. But I could almost see him getting the short end of the stick due to his lack of presence physically. I don't know how Torts feels about small, weak players that think the game well, as opposed to larger, more involved players

Wolfhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 09:31 AM
Svengeance

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by denkiteki View Post
Voted other because i'm thinking it would be Schroeder that benefits most. Unlike AV, JT history has shown he will give young players more chances and Schroeder appears to be our most NHL ready prospect so the door is wide open for him to not only make the team but have some impact next season. Even during his interview/announcement today, he kept referring to young players and how good teams are built from within, etc... something that AV really didn't do much of (at least not the last few seasons, the only notable rookie skater from our system the last few year has been Tanev while most of the players were developed a while ago or obtained via trade/FA).

Subtract seven years off the age of everyone on this roster and then tell me with a straight face AV didn't give young players a chance.

On topic though, I hope he turns Edler into a monster but I think he'll have the most impact on Kesler and Tanev

Svengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 10:13 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godless Servant View Post
Subtract seven years off the age of everyone on this roster and then tell me with a straight face AV didn't give young players a chance.

On topic though, I hope he turns Edler into a monster but I think he'll have the most impact on Kesler and Tanev
Yeah I dont really understand this AV myth and younger players.

Tanev and Kassian come to mind as the most recent.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 10:19 AM
Karl Hungus

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by heycanucks View Post
Not that he needs a lot of help but I'm gonna say Kesler is really gonna flourish under Torts. I'll even go so far as to say Selke nomination...

I agree. I think Kesler needs some hands on coaching.

Karl Hungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 10:36 AM
Mitts McCann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
Yeah I dont really understand this AV myth and younger players.

Tanev and Kassian come to mind as the most recent.
Kassian? The guy who was thrown on the fourth line most of the year?

Mitts McCann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 11:00 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
Kassian? The guy who was thrown on the fourth line most of the year?
Tanev? The guy who played on the 3rd pairing?

What exactly is your point?

Old
06-26-2013, 11:05 AM
Alflives*

Schroeder has the opportunity to make the biggest improvement. Tortorella demands guys play the 'right way'; with 'bite' coming from the younger guys. If Tortorella can get Schroeder to play with 'bite', Schroeder will be a very good player.

Alflives* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 11:50 AM
Kershaw

I was gonna say Garrison or Hamhuis, but both are already good on their own. Ended up picking Edler. Torts has good track record in NY with dmen.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 11:54 AM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Hoping it is Kassian. A legit powerforward who can hit, score and fight would make us a very tough team to play against.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 12:03 PM
Interior Cascadian

I had a hard time deciding between Ballard, Edler, and Kassian. Looks like I fit the majority's opinions.

I think the potential for Edler is that Torts gets him to activate and then maintain that beast mode we've glimpsed from time to time. All the makings are there, but we need a coach who lights that fire under his ass. And if it's the difference between playing top line minutes/earning that big pay check in Vancouver and getting shuttled out of here, I think he'll step up to the plate.

Kassian will benefit if Torts makes good on his word to add more of that 'bite'. If they can add some muscle to the lineup, Kassian won't have to always be on bouncer duty and we can really discover what sort of offensive potential he may have.

Ultimately, I voted for Ballard, because he'll be going from AV's doghouse to a legitimate chance to prove himself now that he's at square one with everyone else in learning the new system. With a level playing field, I think he's good enough to be utilized. Whether or not it's enough to validate his cap hit remains to be seen, but at least it makes him relevant in the NHL again. Who knows what would have happened to him if he'd live out his contract in the press conference under AV (assuming he wouldn't be traded). This increases his value from an overpaid borderline useful asset so something much more accurate tbd, which I'm certain will be an improvement.

Interior Cascadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 03:34 PM
biturbo19

Ballard certainly jumps way up the list of potential candidates to benefit for Tortorella being here, if he ends up staying.

An aggressive, shot-blocking d-man with real bite and nastiness to his game and the puck carrying ability to move the puck up ice himself while the forwards are writhing around on the ice deep in their own end after blocking shots, sounds like a really good fit for Tortorella's lineup.

I really don't understand the Edler thing though. I just don't see it. Unless you believe that what Edler really needs, is someone to yell at him and bench him every time he makes a mistake (he makes lots btw), to completely destroy his fragile confidence. For my money, i'd wager Edler needs someone more 'Paul Maclean' who has patience and gives plenty of leash, but also communicates effectively in correcting mistakes when they happen, rather than a 'John Tortorella' who tells him he sucks and screws up to much, then staples him to the bench, bouncing him between big minutes and no minutes, with no middleground.

The only positive i can see, is if the Tortorella 'attitude' really does rub off on a player like Edler and we see him foster that 'mean streak' we've always wanted to see from Edler but never really witnessed outside of the odd flash here and there.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 09:33 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

I could see Kassian working out better under Tortorella, Kassian is definitely someone a coach needs to stay on top of, keep pushing him forward. I think he'll respond well.

biturbo19 and I think a like on Edler. I'd like to see a good cop defensive assistance coach to mentor Edler, I don't think he needs two people in his face, it might be too much.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 10:11 PM
mstad101

I voted Edler because Torts or whoever he has been filling his staff out with have been very consistent on getting more out of their D corps than before.
I want Kassian to be the most improved so we don't have to keep hearing how given huge minutes and offensive line mates has made Cody Hodgson so good. He really hasn't improved IMHO. He's just proving his potential in the NHL given the same role as in junior. This is something I can see Kassian getting. A chance on the PP consistently, and even some partial PK time to keep him improving his overall game.

mstad101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 10:51 PM
vancityluongo
undisputed genius

vCash: 1070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
No Sedins????.
I vote Henrik Sedin.

Tortorella is a coach that was advocated for by the veterans of this team, and he was brought in for the veterans of the team.

As captain of a team looking to really change it's image both on and off the ice, Henrik is going to have to re-define himself in many ways, that process with start with Tortorella. One way where I really hope that we'll see a difference between AV and Tortorella is the relationship between the coach and the leadership core. Daniel, Kesler, Hamhuis, Schneider, etc. all fit into this category.

If the Canucks wanted to see Zach Kassian or Chris Tanev being helped out the most, they would've hired Dallas Eakins. Instead they hired the most veteran guy to get the most out of the veterans.

If Torts can effectively get Henrik to kill penalties, block shots, and provide all the other intangibles that people have been screaming for over the past decade, while being able to somehow keep his offensive numbers at a close to PPG pace, then I don't think there is a bigger effect a coach could possibly have on this team.

vancityluongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 11:05 PM
Shareefruck

I think Bieksa and Edler

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 12:27 AM
Royal Canuck
Ronnie Hockey!

vCash: 814
Edler, with Kassian close behind.

I feel Edler needed a good push from our management last season, and he never got it.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 12:49 AM
DennisReynolds
the implication

Edler and Kassian for obvious reasons and Hansen because he can actually do everything well and I think he'll continue to grow as a player

DennisReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 03:51 AM
Fat Tony
Fire Benning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
Tanev? The guy who played on the 3rd pairing?

What exactly is your point?
Are you bolstering his point?

Fat Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 03:55 AM
keslerburrows

Kassian, Edler, Schneider, Hansen, Tanev and Corrado. Hell now that I think about it.. I wouldn't be surprised if Torts groomed our young pairing of the future (Tanev and Corrado) into a McDonaugh and Girardi type pairing. Which I would love. It would take time but I can see it.

keslerburrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 04:18 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Tony View Post
Are you bolstering his point?
Not at all. His point was that "playing in the NHL on the 4th line" is not being given a chance.

Kassian played 39 games in the NHL this year.

Tanev played 38.

I'd say that qualifies as giving them a chance.

Did you expect Tanev to be playing first or second pairing?

Not to mention the previous players such as the Burrows, Bieksas and Keslers of the world.

Old
06-27-2013, 05:41 AM
Linden
[hello] :)

Originally voted Kassian, but want to change it to Jordan Schroeder. Torts loves guys with great work ethic and that is JS, and with his improved defensive game I think he could be given a big chance to succeed. I just don't get the same vibe from Kassian. Of course he had to be a great competitor and have a great work ethic to make it to this level, but I think comparative to a Hansen or a Burrows it just doesn't stack up. I think Hansen, Burrows, and Kesler have reached their respective ceilings so that is why I didn't vote from them.

Edler is an interesting case, and I have honestly no idea how he will play under Torts. Very excited to see how he does.

Linden is online now   Reply With Quote