HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Offseason Thread Part IV: SCF, end. Trades, begin.

Closed Thread

Old
06-26-2013, 09:27 AM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
I've always been a big fan of Pittsburgh's own Ryan Malone. I have the same concerns with him that I have with Clowe, which is that their bodies are breaking down. Malone will be 34 this year. Not sure what we can realistically expect from him.
I think the hope would be that sine he was bought out, he would be a bit less expensive in terms of cap hit and length on the contract than Clowe or Clarkson.

Old
06-26-2013, 09:28 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
I really dont see Asham going anywhere. Its only one yr left at a million and he did score some playoff goals. he's not useless
Plus, he'll spend a good portion of the season on IR if the last 3 years are any indication.

Old
06-26-2013, 09:29 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
I think the hope would be that sine he was bought out, he would be a bit less expensive in terms of cap hit and length on the contract than Clowe or Clarkson.
Well, yeah, obviously. But simply being cheaper for shorter term isn't enough if the guy isn't effective. Less risk, long-term. Same problem, short-term.

Old
06-26-2013, 09:30 AM
Chief

Quote:
If Malone is bought out, he is an option.
But I don't think a good one. $4.5M for a guy who is breaking down. On the plus side, he seems to have a knack for scoring on the PP. If you're inclined to go after Malone, then I'd rather go after Bickell first. Personally, I'd pass on both as I don't want to overpay for Bickell.

Old
06-26-2013, 09:36 AM
NYR Viper

Where are all of these trades that were supposed to be lined up?

Old
06-26-2013, 09:39 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
But I don't think a good one. $4.5M for a guy who is breaking down. On the plus side, he seems to have a knack for scoring on the PP. If you're inclined to go after Malone, then I'd rather go after Bickell first. Personally, I'd pass on both as I don't want to overpay for Bickell.
They wouldn't be paying him $4.5m, although I agree with the rest of the premise.

It brings up a good question. How many of these buyouts are going to sign elsewhere for significantly less than they're worth or their previous deal? We saw Prospal do that a few years back. Bought out by TB on a deal worth $3.5m per. Signed by the Rangers, where he wanted to go, for $1.15m. Hey, he was making a good salary that year anyway, right?

It's going to be interesting to see how these things play out.

Old
06-26-2013, 09:39 AM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

vCash: 50
Quote:
That's what I'm wondering

Old
06-26-2013, 09:44 AM
Kershaw

Quote:
Yeah, I think it was just some people blowing some smoke. The Oilers reportedly had up to 5 trades done.

Old
06-26-2013, 09:45 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

TSN trying to draw up hype with BS? Nah they would never...

(Trade incoming in 3...2...1...)

06-26-2013, 09:47 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Andrew Ference??? he might not be resigned by the Bruins

Old
06-26-2013, 09:48 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Another LD.

Edit: Just consulted my own list of UFA lefty D playing the right side. Ference is one of them. Still, he really looks like his play is slipping due to age.

Old
06-26-2013, 09:48 AM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
He was brutal in the playoffs.

Old
06-26-2013, 09:50 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
He has lost a couple of steps.

Old
06-26-2013, 10:09 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Ben Lovejoy?? he will be an UFA, upgrade over Gilroy and Eminger... right handed dman... 29 years old... 6th or 7th depth and adds toughness and size.. i hope Sather signs him this offseason. a mentor for McIlrath when he becomes 100% ready

Old
06-26-2013, 10:15 AM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
2. I'm hearing Yzerman is trying to trade Ryan Malone. Tampa Bay would prefer to avoid a buyout payout and the Lightning are offering a draft pick as an enticement. Malone has a no-move clause in his contract until July 1, which gives him some control of the situation. It is a limited no-trade after then.

3. As of Monday afternoon, newly hired Rangers head coach Alain Vigneault had spoken to one player on his roster: Richards. Why? "I know him a little bit," he said. "During the [2004-05] lockout, I was coaching in P.E.I. and he skated with us for two months before going overseas. He was outstanding. In junior, you don't have a huge coaching staff, so he would take three or four guys and go work with them. He was so good with those guys ... I just wanted to reach out and have a conversation, see how he was doing after a tough end to the season." Vigneault plans to reach out to the rest of the players starting next week.

4. Hearing that, you might think Richards gets another season in New York to see if things improve with Vigneault. But the new coach wasn't going there. "I'm not involved in that process," Vigneault said. "I really haven't seen him the last two years."

5. Vigneault said he hopes to use his lines the same way he did in Vancouver, deploying the best scorers for offensive-zone draws (Henrik and Daniel Sedin) and the best defenders (Manny Malhotra, Ryan Kesler) to take faceoffs front of your net. "I prefer it that way," Vigneault said. "It's a great way to maximize the strength and potential of your lineup." During interviews, he said he was told the Rangers were built to do that, although he will withhold final judgement until getting behind the bench.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...ure-thing.html

Old
06-26-2013, 10:23 AM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
No thanks. The only thing of real value is the 5th overall. Staal alone would get more than that.
This^, and Skjei has too much value to be incidental throw in.

If we got more, that's a +. I could live with Staal for the 5th.

Old
06-26-2013, 10:23 AM
Kershaw

Ryan Malone injury prone and lackluster point production. Seems like Ryane Clowe acquisition 2.0, except with longer term and big contract.

Old
06-26-2013, 10:24 AM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on Ferrence, 1 year, low money to play the bottom pairing.

Old
06-26-2013, 10:26 AM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB v2 0 View Post
Callahan and Hagelin "high-end offensive players"?

Ew. Kreider has the tools, but he hasn't proven anything yet. Would honestly put Zuccarello in there before any of those three.

Still think this team needs another goal scoring winger.
There may be a role for Zuc, but I'm not sure given his D deficiencies. Would take decent return for him, or reduced role lower 6 here.

Kreider!.

Old
06-26-2013, 10:34 AM
bernmeister

Quote:
Mason Raymond. Brian Bickell. Victor Stalberg. Eric Nystrom.

Those guys can skate and have good size.

Arron Asham. Taylor Pyatt.

Not so much.

Kreider, Hagelin, Callahan, Nash and MZA are all good skaters on the wings. Unfortunately, only Nash and Kreider have good size.

My goal for this off-season would be to bring in some guys for the bottom-6 who can grind on other teams, skate well, provide some size, and are multi-dimensional in terms of being able to PK or fight, etc.

I don't see, outside of a significant trade, a can't miss option with size for the top-6.
Stalberg, whether on our 2nd or 3rd line, fills the bill, and only concern is size of contract.

Old
06-26-2013, 10:35 AM
Dactyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
There may be a role for Zuc, but I'm not sure given his D deficiencies. Would take decent return for him, or reduced role lower 6 here.

Kreider!.
where is this myth that zucc is a terrible deffensive player coming from? hes not great, he will never win a selke, but he isnt as horrible as some people here make him out to be. is it because he is small? a lot of people were saying he is too small to play in the league. now that he has proven them wrong are they just saying he is a liability defensively? this antizucc bs is rediculous.

Old
06-26-2013, 10:36 AM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt4776 View Post
Absolutely. If Jones drops to 5, take him and run away laughing all the way home.

Just as you said, we'd "just" need a top-6 LW.

And again, just as you said, I'd have no problem taking Nichushkin at 5 if both Drouin and Jones go in the top 3. Still a top-quality LW that can step in right away.

One hole either way.
But you need to actually cut the cord with Marc Staal NOW and have that pick in hand before, and not hope to do this at the draft. Othewise, they just select, keep Jones.

Old
06-26-2013, 10:36 AM
Lundsanity30

If Kreider ever gets it together we could have 2.power forwards with him and Nash.

Old
06-26-2013, 10:38 AM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
But you need to actually cut the cord with Marc Staal NOW and have that pick in hand before, and not hope to do this at the draft. Othewise, they just select, keep Jones.
I don't see Car moving the 5 period and certainly not before they see what's there

Old
06-26-2013, 10:46 AM
Matt4776
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I'd have no problem with that. Nashville is pretty much taking Barkov no matter what. Colorado is taking Mackinnon.

That leaves us with Drouin, Jones, or Nichushkin. I'll take any.

Even if CAR decides to wait until their pick to make sure Seth doesn't drop, I'll definitely trade Staal for Drouin/Nichushkin+Rask.

Closed Thread