HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Off-Season 2013 - Part II

Closed Thread

Old
06-24-2013, 10:03 PM
Benders Lindyhop

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014cupwinners View Post
Chicago has great 2-way players, ours are below average defensively, not the same thing. You don't know Cooper very well if you think he is going to have a soft team. There will be some grit on the team.
We all hope so. But Bugsy hasn't been a grit guy for awhile now. Don't know if he's gun shy or what, but he doesn't hit, he doesn't stick up for teammates, he barely plays.

Old
06-24-2013, 10:29 PM
jg39
SFY is great

vCash: 517
Quote:
So you say keep Purcell, Pouliot, Pyatt and trade Malone. In other words, you want a soft top six, along with a soft bottom six. Perhaps we can write the Boston Bruins a letter asking them to not hit our guys, because we don't want them to get hurt.

To address your bruins comment, if you watched the first Boston-Tampa game this year, the late loss that drove us Lightning fans around the bend, it wasn't the toughness that lost us that game. We were in it for 58 minutes. It was Brewer making a bad pinch/joining the rush while we were shorthanded (and Stamkos' shot missing the net). It was a greedy defensive mistake, and a Malone move has a possibility of improving our PK defense.

As stated in my last post, I love when Malone is fighting and cracking skulls in front of the net...and would happily keep him on the team if he was doing that. However, at $4.5m a season, frequent injuries, and having 0 fighting majors this season, I feel his role on this team could be filled with a cheaper, more effective Crunch player, especially with the way Panik played for TB while Malone was out.

Regarding bottom 6, I believe we agree on the 3rd line of w/Palat-Johnson-Panik. Not what I would call a soft line. That leaves Pyatt-Thompson-Crombeen for our 4th line. The same Nate Thompson who got Tampa's only Shanaban-worthy hit all season, and the same BJ Crombeen who led the NHL in fighting majors. While quality does not equal quality with Crombeen's fights, he is our enforcer for the time being, and does not make our 4th line soft.

Our top 6 is not what I would call soft either...regardless, they are not there to be tough. Our top 6 should be there to bring speed, make plays, and score goals. Stamkos, MSL, Vinny, Tedward, BP, and Killorn make up a good top 6. IMO, this group is not improved with the presence of Ryan Malone's recent play. If we can improve our team, and we have an odd man out (Pouliot), I am always for improving the team. As it stands, Labrie is a UFA, and I don't know if he cracks the bottom 6 if the 3rd line becomes Palat-Johnson-Panik. We were top 5 in goals scored this year, so I hardly say our top 6 needs improvement. I think Lightning fans would say the top 6 needs to be more consistent more than they need to "improve."

Old
06-24-2013, 10:38 PM
The YzerJesus
Turns Piss Into Wine

vCash: 50
Quote:
Chicago has great 2-way players, ours are below average defensively, not the same thing. You don't know Cooper very well if you think he is going to have a soft team. There will be some grit on the team.
That's not what I'm saying - I'm saying we don't need tough guys in our top-6. It's pretty evident that our top-6 is a high-flying scoring one. To disrupt that would mean trading everyone. I'm also not saying we don't need grit. We could use it. Malone just doesn't bring it anymore.

I won't debate you in our top-6 needing to play defense a lot better, because everyone knows that's true.

Old
06-25-2013, 06:12 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

https://twitter.com/NYP_Brooksie
Quote:
NHL has notified GMs that league will not allow player to be traded, amnestied and then re-signed by original club, Post has learned.
Quote:
Would be considered "circumvention."

Old
06-25-2013, 06:24 PM
Follower of Yzlam
Believe the Yzerplan

vCash: 1159
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
Not shocked at all.

Old
06-25-2013, 06:37 PM
Benders Lindyhop

I wonder if Leafs and Habs fans know this yet. Judging by the trade board, probably not.

Old
06-25-2013, 07:17 PM
2 Weekes Notice

Quote:
Considering this CBA was carefully crafted to punish loophole users, I couldn't have imagined that actually being a possibility. It'll be nice to stem the steady tide.

Old
06-25-2013, 08:18 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

What do you guys think of the possibility Lecavalier is bought out? What do you think the chances are?

Old
06-25-2013, 08:25 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Ranger View Post
What do you guys think of the possibility Lecavalier is bought out? What do you think the chances are?
I think the mood is that he won't be bought out. At least not this offseason.

Old
06-25-2013, 08:28 PM
2 Weekes Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Ranger View Post
IMO
10% it happens this year
30% it happens next year
60% it never happens at all

Although I reserve the right to throw those numbers right out the window if we draft MacKinnon or Barkov.

Old
06-25-2013, 08:58 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Can we just stop trying to compare ourselves to the bruins or try to clone that team, that'd be fun

Old
06-25-2013, 09:49 PM
Follower of Yzlam
Believe the Yzerplan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still All In View Post
Can we just stop trying to compare ourselves to the bruins or try to clone that team, that'd be fun
Truth. There's more than one way to skin a cat (or win a Cup).

Old
06-25-2013, 11:47 PM
Cigar City

Quote:
Someone on the trade boards repeated this multiple times a few weeks back...

Everyone called him an idiot.

Old
06-26-2013, 12:02 AM
Follower of Yzlam
Believe the Yzerplan

Speaking of... How are our expectations going into next season?

I'm less high on the team than I was last offseason, even though I like our organizational depth more (although some key offseason moves could get us up there). I think we are building a real, true long-term contender here, but we may still be a few years out. If Koekkoek develops well, and the other guys maintain their development, we may end up being scary in a few years.

Old
06-26-2013, 06:51 AM
Benders Lindyhop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pronounced Anders View Post

I'm less high on the team than I was last offseason, even though I like our organizational depth more (although some key offseason moves could get us up there). I think we are building a real, true long-term contender here, but we may still be a few years out. If Koekkoek develops well, and the other guys maintain their development, we may end up being scary in a few years.
I don't know yet, gotta give me the offseason. One thing that strikes me for sure though is Cooper had better be able to raise the I give a **** level on a few of these guys and get them to actually play as a team unit or they are going nowhere.

Old
06-26-2013, 07:31 AM
newham89

Quote:

I'm not expecting much this season if I'm honest. We have a harder schedule by far than last season and as of right now, don't see too much of an improvement. Obviously, there's a long way to go yet, and I'm not counting in the influence of a new coaching set up. I'd be surprised if we're in contention for a play off spot.

Old
06-26-2013, 08:02 AM
LightningStrikes
SFY

vCash: 133
How about adding someone like Maxim Lapierre (UFA)? 3rd/4th line center, hits a lot, brings grit and nastiness and gets under the opposing team's skin.

Last edited by LightningStrikes: 06-26-2013 at 08:07 AM.
Old
06-26-2013, 08:56 AM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
Quote:

At the moment same as you, if we can reach the playoffs I would be really pleased but we will see after the draft and potential trades..

06-26-2013, 10:59 AM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Yotes fan back in peace. Would Klesla for Malone + 2013 3rd be enticing enough for you guys?

Old
06-26-2013, 11:05 AM
Steve Yzerman
A Great Season

vCash: 805
So Yzerman's offering draft picks with Malone as incentive, eh? Hopefully, those are lower draft picks.

Old
06-26-2013, 11:21 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPreferPi View Post
Yotes fan back in peace. Would Klesla for Malone + 2013 3rd be enticing enough for you guys?
Malone would have to list 12 teams that he'd be okay being traded to and you know Phoenix's situation of course, but if PHX is able to re-sign his buddy Mike Smith, maybe he would.

As for the offer itself, I don't think Malone + 3rd for Klesla is fair value for a hockey trade. Malone for Klesla straight up would be more along the right lines. I'm also a bit rusty on the Lightning lineup itself, but I don't see where Rusty would fit in.

Old
06-26-2013, 11:27 AM
Benders Lindyhop

Well Leafs fans now know that it would be considered circumvention to trade for Vinny, buy him out and then have him re-sign with the Bolts. Of course they are taking a speculative article as pure gospel and turning it into a southern bashing, Bettman hating Canadian big market teams deal, but at least there shouldn't be any more of that particular type of goofy trade proposal.

Old
06-26-2013, 11:28 AM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
Malone would have to list 12 teams that he'd be okay being traded to and you know Phoenix's situation of course, but if PHX is able to re-sign his buddy Mike Smith, maybe he would.

As for the offer itself, I don't think Malone + 3rd for Klesla is fair value for a hockey trade. Malone for Klesla straight up would be more along the right lines. I'm also a bit rusty on the Lightning lineup itself, but I don't see where Rusty would fit in.
True, but Friedman's report stated that Yzerman would incentivize moving Malone by offering a pick. Obviously trying to ascertain what kind of pick it will be. :-)

From my previous convos with you guys, the Bolts need a physical stay-at-home defenseman, and Klesla fits that bill (and can also be effective on the right despite being an LHD). Not exactly the most durable guy (though he's a little better in that regard than Malone over the past few years), but Klesla is still very reliable on the PK and in shutdown situations, while also having underrated offensive acumen.

EDIT: Bolts don't even have a 3rd or a 4th this year. How about Klesla + PHX 2013 2nd for Malone + TBL 2013 2nd?

Last edited by IPreferPi: 06-26-2013 at 11:34 AM.
Old
06-26-2013, 11:36 AM
Pontius Palat
Liam Neeson's mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPreferPi View Post
We don't have our 2013 3rd, but that deal sounds great to me. 2014 3rd instead? 2013 2nd swap?

Old
06-26-2013, 11:40 AM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoekkoekPuffs View Post
We don't have our 2013 3rd, but that deal sounds great to me. 2014 3rd instead? 2013 2nd swap?
Just suggested that :-)

Closed Thread