HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Komisaurus bad blood vs Iginla

Old
10-18-2006, 03:42 PM
SwiftyHab

vCash: 500
Komisaurus bad blood vs Iginla

Not like well see these two go at it very often in the regular season, but Komi and Iginla looked like they really hated each other out there with both of them going hard against each other along the boards having to be pulled away twice in the game. The second time Komi gave Iginla a hard elbow to the face.

Personally I love the way Mike is playing more and more like the ruff and tough Scott Stevens, even getting into the dirty stuff and getting under the best players skin. hes really impressing me more with every game.

SwiftyHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 03:44 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

I LOVE Komo this season. He's simply amazing. And Iginla was scared to drop with him...The only time he agreed to do it he kept his visor on.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 03:44 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftyHab View Post
Not like well see these two go at it very often in the regular season, but Komi and Iginla looked like they really hated each other out there with both of them going hard against each other along the boards having to be pulled away twice in the game. The second time Komi gave Iginla a hard elbow to the face.

Personally I love the way Mike is playing more and more like the ruff and tough Scott Stevens, even getting into the dirty stuff and getting under the best players skin. hes really impressing me more with every game.
Jerome was very angry hehe

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 03:50 PM
Pascal

Jarome "Visor Puss" Iginla wanted nothing to do with Mike "The Beast" Komisarek.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 03:52 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Jarome "Visor Puss" Iginla wanted nothing to do with Mike "The Beast" Komisarek.
To be fair, Iginla is a tough guy and very strong...But Komisarek just dwarfs him...He has 3 inches and close to 50 lbs on him.

Old
10-18-2006, 03:54 PM
CHareth

Quote:
Please.

CHareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 03:55 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
To be fair, Iginla is a tough guy and very strong...But Komisarek just dwarfs him...He has 3 inches and close to 50 lbs on him.
I've seen both fight and I think Iginla would've dropped Komi.

As for the guy with the Scott Stevens comment....please don't use his name when mentionning Komo...It's something he'll never live up to (or come close to in that matter).

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 03:56 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
I've seen both fight and I think Iginla would've dropped Komi.

As for the guy with the Scott Stevens comment....please don't use his name when mentionning Komo...It's something he'll never live up to (or come close to in that matter).
I think it would be a close fight...But Komo has a significant size advantage. Iginla isn't that big of a guy. Strong, but not very big.

Old
10-18-2006, 04:02 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
I think it would be a close fight...But Komo has a significant size advantage. Iginla isn't that big of a guy. Strong, but not very big.
Size generally has nothing to do with fighting... Domi has laid out players twice as big as him. I'm not saying Iginla is an equal fighter to Domi, but he has fought with Lecavalier and others who had a significant size advantage over him. From what we've seen Komo isn't a good fighter, doesn't seem to have a hard punch.

Old
10-18-2006, 04:02 PM
Mike8

I really liked seeing Komisarek identify Iginla as his man to punish (or, well, who he was instructed to punish).

In the first shift, I believe Phaneuf laid out Koivu. Immediately thereafter, Begin and Komisarek punished Iginla repeatedly.

I like this. I see it as partly due to the team cohesion improving, but also Carbonneau and co. directing vengeful acts to the proper areas. (Witness: Souray, Komisarek, Begin, Downey on the ice at the end of the first versus the Senators after Koivu was hit on the previous shift)

It's been a long time since I've seen the Canadiens go out of their way to mark a man and make things as unpleasant as possible for them, right after the opposition has gone after Montreal's star player(s).

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 04:05 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Size generally has nothing to do with fighting... Domi has laid out players twice as big as him. I'm not saying Iginla is an equal fighter to Domi, but he has fought with Lecavalier and others who had a significant size advantage over him. From what we've seen Komo isn't a good fighter, doesn't seem to have a hard punch.
Well, this is true and false. Size has a lot to do with fighting, but a smaller player may overcome it if they have unique qualities (in Domi's case, a leather face).

Komisarek holds on a lot in fighting. Iginla's more abrasive and throws 'em more naturally. Komisarek's more of a hugger who likes to rag-doll. I'd say Komisarek's significantly stronger than Iginla, and has a larger reach, so he couldn't be beaten by Iginla very easily. At the least, he'd take more punches than he'd give, then hang on. So we'd give the edge to Iginla, but not much else.

On the flip-side, if Komisarek came into the fight and got some leverage early, I could see him toss a couple of jabs then really use his size and reach advantage to overpower Iginla.

Either way, the fight wouldn't be pretty, but no fight with Komisarek really is.

Old
10-18-2006, 04:08 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
It does help...I have trouble when I'm up against taller guys because they hold me away and I can't get enough leverage or reach on them, but they can reach me.

Komo isn't really a punching type but more of a grappler. He's strong and he can wrestle his opponents and swing them around before getting a few in. I've noticed that's how he fights, and there's not much you can do if you don't have leverage.

Old
10-18-2006, 04:11 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Well, this is true and false. Size has a lot to do with fighting, but a smaller player may overcome it if they have unique qualities (in Domi's case, a leather face).

Komisarek holds on a lot in fighting. Iginla's more abrasive and throws 'em more naturally. Komisarek's more of a hugger who likes to rag-doll. I'd say Komisarek's significantly stronger than Iginla, and has a larger reach, so he couldn't be beaten by Iginla very easily. At the least, he'd take more punches than he'd give, then hang on. So we'd give the edge to Iginla, but not much else.

On the flip-side, if Komisarek came into the fight and got some leverage early, I could see him toss a couple of jabs then really use his size and reach advantage to overpower Iginla.

Either way, the fight wouldn't be pretty, but no fight with Komisarek really is.
I don't know about the "significantly" stronger part. Iginla lost weight, but he didn't lose any strength. Weight doesn't always commute with Strength, in fact I'd be willing to bet that Komisarek isn't the strongest player in the team. I don't think Komi could do what Chara did to McCabe 2-3 years ago, and just toss Iginla around.

Old
10-18-2006, 04:13 PM
Madevilz

Quote:
Jarome "Visor Puss"
sad thing that more than half of our team are "visor pusses" huh?

Madevilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 04:15 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
It does help...I have trouble when I'm up against taller guys because they hold me away and I can't get enough leverage or reach on them, but they can reach me.

Komo isn't really a punching type but more of a grappler. He's strong and he can wrestle his opponents and swing them around before getting a few in. I've noticed that's how he fights, and there's not much you can do if you don't have leverage.
As I said, Iginla has fought Lecavs, who is 6'4". Lecavs might not be the same type of fighter as Komisarek (though I believe he is), but his height advantage didn't come into play. I don't know the actual reach of either player but I've seen fighters (UFC/Boxing) who even if they were 3" shorter had more reach than the other guy.

Old
10-18-2006, 04:15 PM
CHareth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madevilz View Post
sad thing that more than half of our team are "visor pusses" huh?
Including the wonderful player in his avatar.

CHareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 04:18 PM
mcphee

I like how Komi targeted Iginla, the same way he does Tucker,Thornton etc. It's smart hockey, taking advantage of what you can do. It's nice to send a message that maybe our team isn't as 'nice' as in the past.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 04:18 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
I guarantee Jarome would've taken his helmet off if Mike took off his gloves. I don't think I've ever seen him keep it on during a fight.

Old
10-18-2006, 04:24 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
I guarantee Jarome would've taken his helmet off if Mike took off his gloves. I don't think I've ever seen him keep it on during a fight.
He has...He's only done it a few times but it's given him a reputation of keeping it on...I forget who it was against, I think Hatcher but I'm not sure. The highly publicised time was during the playoffs because I think the player in question made a comment about it after the game.

Old
10-18-2006, 04:33 PM
Mike8

Quote:
I don't know about the "significantly" stronger part. Iginla lost weight, but he didn't lose any strength. Weight doesn't always commute with Strength, in fact I'd be willing to bet that Komisarek isn't the strongest player in the team. I don't think Komi could do what Chara did to McCabe 2-3 years ago, and just toss Iginla around.
I didn't say he could.

And while Iginla's far stronger than his vitals would indicate, and Komisarek not as strong as he should be for his size, Komisarek is still a beast when it comes to strength for an NHL player. In my view, he's undoubtedly stronger than Iginla. Maybe not in his arms, but certainly in his core.

Old
10-18-2006, 04:38 PM
MXD

Considering what happened to (one of) star players, we shouldn't say anything about other team top forwards who wear a visor...

Iggy might be a tough guy, but he's clearly not in the game to fight with other guys, especially if they're like 50 pounds bigger than him.

MXD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 04:49 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Considering what happened to (one of) star players, we shouldn't say anything about other team top forwards who wear a visor...

Iggy might be a tough guy, but he's clearly not in the game to fight with other guys, especially if they're like 50 pounds bigger than him.
I keep hearing 50 pds, and I don't get it. Iginla was 210 last year if I'm not mistaken, and only dropped 7? pds this off-season (or so I read) so that'd put him at 203pds and that's pretty much all muscle mass. Komi is at 240? and from what I've seen the guy is around 10-12% bf not to mention he's 3 inches taller. Iginla likely has more muscle mass than Komi.

Old
10-18-2006, 04:54 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
As I said, Iginla has fought Lecavs, who is 6'4". Lecavs might not be the same type of fighter as Komisarek (though I believe he is), but his height advantage didn't come into play. I don't know the actual reach of either player but I've seen fighters (UFC/Boxing) who even if they were 3" shorter had more reach than the other guy.
In their famous fight in 2004, they threw punches. It wasn't a wrestling match.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 04:54 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Lecavalier's more of an abrasive fighter as well. His reach advantage didn't come into play as much because he didn't use it. He was off-balance the entire fight. But he was able to land the hardest two punches of the fight, after finally knocking Iginla's visor off.

Iginla doesn't defend himself all that much.

Komisarek holds. By holding, he's able to keep Iginla at a distance where Iginla can't reach Komisarek with a punch, but Komisarek can reach Iginla with a punch.

They have basically opposing styles of fighting, and come to the fight with opposite statures, so it'd make for an interesting fight. My money would be on Komisarek faring pretty decently.

BTW, Iginla hasn't taken off his visor in a number of fights. Off-hand, I remember he didn't take off his visor versus Hatcher, Lecavalier, Tootoo, or Kesler.

Old
10-18-2006, 04:57 PM
TheHoser

Iginla is a lot more to Calgary's offense then Komisarek is to our defense. If Komi goes to the box, we have Souray and Markov who can absorb his minutes; if Iginla goes to the box, their offense can't cope, especially the way Tangauy has been playing.

At the same time, I think Komisarek would give Iginla a pretty good run. Anyone remember when he destroyed that Islanders goon after he ran Huet? I realise that Iginla's no pushover, but Komisarek is one tough guy, and he's a lot bigger then Iginla.

TheHoser is offline   Reply With Quote