HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How to get and stay motivated to workout

Old
06-26-2013, 12:47 AM
Akhockeyguy

vCash: 500
How to get and stay motivated to workout

I really do not know why, but I cannot get motivated to go and workout. And when I do, I'll get maybe half way through the workout and just not want to do any more. I just started lifting this summer, and I love it. However, i hate cardio and speed work (which is what I really need to work on, of course). I'm going to try out for u16 B team in 6 weeks for the first time, and i am not wanting to workout.
I don't know why this is. I am going to camps out of state in 2 weeks and am hoping to impress some scouts that I heard were going to be there. But I am way out of (cardio) shape and hate running.

Ok so bottom line: what gets you motivated? What keeps you going to the gym when you wake up and you don't want to? And for a kid in high school, do I have to diet when working out, or just watch what I eat?

Akhockeyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 02:46 AM
Fanned On It

I know this is going to sound obvious but you really just have to WANT to be a better version of you. It's the desire that motivates me, at least. If deep down inside you are happy (complacent) with how you are then it's probably going to be hard to motivate yourself. Just work on building up a desire. A goal.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 06:18 AM
KelownaRocketsFan
almostcanadian

If you can't just motivate yourself, buy this:
http://www.nike.com/us/en_us/c/nikeplus-fuelband
Watch a few YouTube videos about how it works. Two friends have it, they love it, they say it helped and they always try to be better than the other one.

KelownaRocketsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 09:12 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Great question.

Some ideas:

- Play sports instead of doing a treadmill or bike. Get a game of ultimate frisbee, touch football, play tennis, swim, or do something that's fun instead of work. Especially if you have the summer free.

- Get a workout partner and keep each other on track.

- Build a habit. Get a calendar and mark the days you need to workout and stick with it. In a few weeks you'll find it becomes habitual.

Honestly I doubt there's a lot you can do in two weeks, although you certainly don't want to get in any worse shape...I'd say limit the junk food, drink more water, and maybe focus on the things you do well for now.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 09:32 AM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Sometimes it is boring to do the same workouts over and over; it becomes tedious. As Jarick mentioned, switch up your routine to keep it fresh. Another ideas get one of your new or former teammates to work out with you; it's always more fun than working out alone and it builds competition. Work on your weaknesses till they become strengths. Seeing the progress you're making will make you want it even more.

Axman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 12:36 PM
Thesensation19

But really, I would say try to make your work outs overall more fun.

Look up Marv Marinovic training or Troy Polamalu training. GSP too.

See what they do with a simple kettle bell, swiss ball or medicene balls. I wrestle at home for fun. Its no walk in the park. Real, greco roman wrestling in my own den lol. Thats how I grew up. Was always fun to do a sport like that and it was a great work out.

Play other sports. I play soccer and basketball on the side. Overall increases my coordination, balance, and fitness levels.

If you need a partner, get a friend who is motivated or who wishes to be. Dont want a partner who brings you down. Some guys I use to work out with would slow me down. Other guys brought me to new heights.

But all depends what your situation is.

Thesensation19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 12:42 PM
Thesensation19

If your issue is being motivated for speed work I am wondering where do you do your speed work?

What kind of stuff do you do?

You probably should get a challenging partner to do some drills with you. If you go to the gym and do it, try to get out in the open.

I like pool exercises too. Its great for speed as well and reaction. Hop in a pool if u can on a shallow end. Work on jumps, paddle with just your feet, swimming in general, all kinds of kicks in the water. Run or sprint in the water.

Go to the beach! Do some stuff in the sand right like right before you hit the water. Or go in the waternear the coast and run along the waves or whatever.

Play Football! Get a few friends and play touch or tackle. Thats what I use to do. Be a receiver and do sprints that way.

Old
06-26-2013, 12:50 PM
Thesensation19

If you want to get faster. Charles Poliquin said its as easy as jumping. Explosive workouts.

Go anywhere around your house. Find some challenging tall object. Do 3 sets of trying to reach it. With and without running start.

When your at the gym, try to keep your exercises with the focus of explosion. Squats in general are great but whats better is some sets of jumping squats.

Also, Clean and Jerk and Snatches are great explosive work outs. They did a test in Russia to see which athletes had the best vertical jump. Idk who the other 2 athletes were, but one was an O Weight lifter in Russia and one was a Le parkour guy. Those 2 made it to the finals. Not surprising on the LP guy cuz thats basically his sport. Jumping and full body control. But the OW was doing it with ease!!!!!!! Box jumps were incredible.

Old
06-26-2013, 12:51 PM
FlowNoMo
GO MARLIES!!!

Any stick and puck or public skating in your area? Hit those up and use that for cardio. Or just a ride a bike, I find that to be much more useful than running (my knees suck). Find a hill and sprint up it on your bike.

Motivation though, I don't really know what to tell you. I am extremely motivated when I workout as I know that increasing my strength will improve my game. Also I can physically see changes for the better which is always nice.

FlowNoMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 01:08 PM
pigpen65

Best motivation for working out is to not lose what you already have. When i don't work out i feel like ****, so that keeps me working out. As far as cardio, few people like running on a treadmill or jogging around the neighborhood. It's ****ing boring. So the best cardio is the kind you have fun doing while you are doing it, i.e. sports. Different sports for different people, and different sports for different levels of cardio. If you want to find a list just google best activities for cardio. And same as before, after a little while what will keep motivated to keep doing it is the threat of losing what you have already gained.

pigpen65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 02:47 PM
AngryBoss

You have to find a workout that interests you.
I got so sick and tired of doing splits that I was only putting in half-an-effort most of the time.
Then I discovered Madcow and I haven't looked back.

Regarding cardio, don't worry about long distance runs.
Long distance running isn't that necessary.
I've seen marathon runners grabbing the puke bucket after 3 shifts.

Do HIIT or Tabata training. It's intense, but most workouts don't go past 10 minutes. Heck, most are 6 or less.
And that kind of training is better suited for hockey.

AngryBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 03:43 PM
Thesensation19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowzie View Post
Any stick and puck or public skating in your area? Hit those up and use that for cardio. Or just a ride a bike, I find that to be much more useful than running (my knees suck). Find a hill and sprint up it on your bike.

Motivation though, I don't really know what to tell you. I am extremely motivated when I workout as I know that increasing my strength will improve my game. Also I can physically see changes for the better which is always nice.
Your knees dont just happen to ****.
There is something you have done or been doing that has weakened them and theres PLENTY you can do to recover from it and strengthen it.

First starts with proper massages and proper stretching. Join a yoga class or look up different positions online especially ones that target your knee, quad area. These type of static stretches or PNF stretches should be performed apart from your strength and conditioning. Never before, only after but ideally at a different time all together.

Its really not difficult to spend about 30 minutes a day or at least 5x a week on stretches like this. I often do it during a TV show or movie. Though its best done with proper focus.

Get a foam roller. Great in strengthening your muscle fibers and loosening it up.

If your knees are really bothering you then When you work out, stay away from weights. There is plenty you can do without. Simple body weight squats is one of millions of examples. If you want something different from just body weights all the time, get restrictive bands or do some exercises in a pool or at the beach. I would seriously stay away from weights and do more gymnastic base work outs. If you want to come back to weights, first strengthen your body through these body weight exercises. Learn proper form and strengthen your BALANCE and CORE. Then you can apply heavier loads if wish. But note, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO.

Get the knots out of your foot. Get a ball, golf/soft/baseball. Use them night and day for a few minutes. A muscle issue in your foot can cause issues all around your body.

Biking is great conditioning for this but even such, its not normal for you to have knee problems and you can fix it. All it means is you change your lifestyle a bit

Old
06-29-2013, 02:14 PM
deems

Everyone is going to give you advice so I am not reading other posts but here's mine:

I went from slowest skater to fastest by doing leg workouts. Barbell squats is the best exercise in the gym but I unfortunately was not doing that exercise growing up. I only did what I was good at so I didn't look like a loser in the gym. Lifting heavy weights because you look like the man is cool but wrong in the big picture. You need to hit all your muscle groups, not just what you're good at. Include these 4: squats, bench press, overhead press, deadlifts. Form is critical...watch youtube videos to avoid injury.

Things to motivate you: fitocracy.com....it's like COD XP points and you level up based on your workout tracking. It's fun. Measuring your progress/body growth...bodybuilding.com has a cool tracker. Will power! Know that the players who will get noticed by scouts are at the gym or on the ice. You have to want it bad enough. If you can't make yourself finish a workout that's a sign of how bad you want to work for it.

Diet: you should not be dieting while your body is still growing. Watch the junk food and keep working out.

Cardio: very important especially if you say you're already out of shape. how are you planning on getting to the next level? if running is boring, find a substitute...swimming, elliptical, stationary biking...all better than running as they avoid the hard impact on joints. get a gym membership if you don't have one.

motivation comes from within..hard work pays off.

deems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 04:05 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

It's really simple. You have to want it more. You only kind of want it. You'll always find an excuse to skip or cut short a workout if you don't want it bad enough.

When you really want something, you'll always find a way to make it work or push yourself harder.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 04:05 PM
Green Blob*

Green Blob* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 04:09 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Also think about the reason you are doing the workout. Each workout is a brick that eventually builds a house. One or two weak bricks (less than stellar workouts) won't have that much of an effect on the overall house. But several or even missing ones will build a weak house.

Do you want to put in effort just to build a weak house? Or would you prefer to add a bit more effort to finish workouts or do them and build a much stronger house?

Ask yourself that question each time you workout. Trust the process. Pay attention to results and remember that you'll get exactly what you put into it.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 06:17 PM
TMLOBI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axman View Post
Sometimes it is boring to do the same workouts over and over; it becomes tedious. As Jarick mentioned, switch up your routine to keep it fresh.
I think going on a proven workout and sticking with it would be more beneficial. Too many people will start a lifting routine then right when they are on the cusp of getting somewhere with it they switch it up and they basically have to start all over again. This makes it almost impossible to get to where you want to be. Two weeks of working out will not make too much of a difference. You have to look at the big picture of where you want to be and then make mini goals to get there!

Start a strength training program like starting strength or strong lifts (google). These are both proven to get you stronger within three months.

There are some off ice training exercises you can do such as agility dots or box jumps. Add those to a strength training program that focuses on squats and see your skating strength and explosiveness increase!

Nutrition is very important. I know because of your age it is not recommended to count calories. Just make sure you are eating a lot of good nutritious whole foods and getting adequate protein and fats. Drinking lots of water is also very important. Right now your testosterone is through the roof so you can make some series gains with proper nutrition and the right workout/ lifting routine! Don't neglect your legs and also very important to perform the lifts properly with good technique. You want to prevent injuries. The most common one is not hitting parallel in the squats! People add all this weight to the bar and then do 1/4 squats and mess up their knees. Watch some youtube videos or get someone knowledgeable to help you out! Err not sure if this will all get read so I'll post my last two pieces of advice on the next post.

TMLOBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 06:23 PM
TMLOBI

Motivation:

I am motivated by earning my next weight jump. I want to get as strong as I possibly can (without drugs of course) so I need to put in the work. The worst feeling I have when lifting is not being able to lift the weight! I freaking hate it. So when I come back the next day when I have that same lift and I am able to do my sets with the weight I wasn't able to do earlier I get pumped. It is a personal achievement and since I am relatively new to lifting these personal achievements will happen often! I know is I miss a workout I won't be as strong as I could have been. You have to want it, whatever your goal is!

Also google bodybuilding and you'll find a great forum for you guessed it bodybuilding. There is a teen section where you might get some good help, a sports training section that might be of some interest and also a very helpful nutrition section.

Good luck

TMLOBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 01:03 AM
ktang

To the OP: what order are you doing your workouts in?

Also, what kind of cardio are you doing: O2 or anaerobic?

If you periodize, you should be having medium-term hypertrophy workouts for 1 month, followed by 1 month of strength, then 1 month of power / plyos, then 02 + anaerobic or anaerobic + 02.

If you try to do everything at once you won't improve these things as much as if you do them periodized. Also, you could burn out (sounds like you are).

If you need more motivation: picture the last opponent who dumped you or even a team-mate who dumped on you working hard this summer; if you make it "personal" it will extend your motivation. If you know at least one competitor for your U16B tryout who you despise, use that person. Hate works sometimes.

ktang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 03:01 PM
scryan

Obviously, if you can find something fun... that also builds endurance that is best.
I grew up pretty far from worried about health and fitness beyond making sure I could maintain a "normal" lifestyle.

Got into road biking and all of a sudden fitness became necessary, as did knowledge of health/nutrition/fueling... Road biking can be a lot of fun, a decent road bike (while expensive) is definitely a lot more interesting then some crap mountain bike... All of which is better then a spin bike

But short of finding another fitness based hobby, as said above you have to want it. You have to have the mental fortitude to push hard enough to see results. When you begin to see results, and link those to the work you put in it will become its own motivation.

When getting into shape, I always saw it a bit like a fight.
At first, you just kinda get beat up. Obviously this is no fun...You don't have enough of a base to really deal with it... You have to just keep going and pay your dues at this point.
As you get better, you can deal with the stress of the work out... and even push back. Once you get a little more behind you the fight feels a little more fair. At some point, it feels a bit more like kicking ass then getting beat up.

I remember starting to ride bike, getting winded and sore was brutal. Seriously feeling like you have to throw up and your legs are going to explode.
As I got better, feeling winded and sore only put some fight behind you and makes you push harder. You have to focus on how you want to be better. See the pain and struggle as you fighting against your weakness and learn to do what it takes to win. Winning is always enjoyable

scryan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 09:25 AM
sanityplease

vCash: 50
If you don't get motivated, you're not making the team.

sanityplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 12:48 PM
Thesensation19

The best motivation comes from within. I believe you can increase your motivation through spiritual practices. Its not as direct as mental training or as simple as physical. Spiritual practices includes time and patience and tons of repetition.

Meditation such as Zen Meditation is one aspect of this. Off the bat, I would say try to sit and relax (body and mind) in a tranquil room away from any TV or music. Meditate, by closing your eyes and focusing on your breathing and devote the time to thinking about your life and what you really want and how to truly gain it. Focus on your breathing as well. Breathing is highly underrated. 4 seconds in, 4 seconds out. Devote at least 20 minutes a day for like 4-5 days. Learn to control your mind and from this you will grow your spirit.

When you can control your spirit, you control your emotions. Your will. And your focus. All of which can lead to better motivation.

During workouts, I would suggest some and not all for many reasons, listen to music. Different types of music can lead to different types of gains or even losses in your energy and production levels.

Like I said above, make workouts fun. I never found isolated work outs fun. Going to different parts of the gym and picking different muscles to do 3-5 reps of 5-15 sets of increasing or decreasing weight. At least not all the time. So I turned it into full body work outs with some added supersets.

I also find it more fun to work out outside. At a park or beach. try that...