HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Flyers use a compliance buyout on Ilya Bryzgalov's contract (updates in post #1)

Closed Thread

Old
06-26-2013, 10:59 AM
Jtown

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindank View Post
Yeah. I'd prefer if he shuts up and plays hockey, but if he can regain his form then screw it - I Survived The Bryzaster...i can deal with a political nut job.
I'd buy that t-shirt

Old
06-26-2013, 11:07 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindank View Post
Yeah. I'd prefer if he shuts up and plays hockey, but if he can regain his form then screw it - I Survived The Bryzaster...i can deal with a political nut job.
IF Tim Thomas signs here, he better stop the puck. I may not agree with how he handles himself on the political front but I certainly agree with how he competes and performs in the net. Be a good teammate, be a good teammate.....

Old
06-26-2013, 11:07 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Tim Thomas might be old but in NHL years he really isn't old. Only 8 years as a pro. I'm not saying sign him to a 5 year deal which Homer would probably do, but a 1 or 2 year deal wouldn't be bad.

Old
06-26-2013, 11:14 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
IF Tim Thomas signs here, he better stop the puck. I may not agree with how he handles himself on the political front but I certainly agree with how he competes and performs in the net. Be a good teammate, be a good teammate.....
Thomas is a good teammate. His ex-Bruins teammates have gone on record to say how good of a teammate he was. Krejci, Bergeron, Lucic, Horton, Chara, Seidenberg, and Rask are some of them who have defended Thomas and how he is great in the locker room.

I've seen people slam him for his decision to walk away this year. He spent time with his family. I don't think anyone can be blamed from walking away from $5 million bucks a year to be with their family. He felt that his kids and wife needed his attention at home and he gave it. A decision like that should be commended, not slammed because he didn't suit up for his team.

Old
06-26-2013, 11:34 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Oh God What's This

Thomas's politics, like Bryz's politics, ought to be the very last thing on the list of concerns.

06-26-2013, 11:37 AM
Prongo
Beer

I have been advocating Thomas for a while now. Split him with Mason. Thomas goes for 50-55 games and Mason goes for 27-32 games. If Thomas still has it, which I think he does(he was reportedly training while off from the game) he could be what we need. Extremely cheap and good goalkeeping. It's just a matter if he wants to play or not.

Old
06-26-2013, 11:37 AM
DrHamburg

So happy Bryz is gone. I was excited for him when he first came here. Thought he would bring stability to the net. I didn't expect him to be like he was in Phoenix but I certainly thought he would be someone who wouldn't be blamed for the Flyers.

With that being said, the bottom line is he was one of the top paid goaltenders and put up stats of the worst starting goalie in the league. Whether people want to argue with its his fault or not really doesn't matter. You can pay someone league minimum to put up the same stats at Bryz, it only made sense to buy him out from that standpoint. With him being not a team guy obviously didn't save him. Who really knows how bad he was or if he was even that bad. But its pretty obvious he didn't help his cause with his personality.

I am not sure if I am a homer supporter or not. I just really hope..his top priority is to resign Giroux, Schenn, Couts asap. Schenn and Couts will never be cheaper than they are now. Waiting till after this season wouldn't make sense for the Flyers. Then you can see how much cap space is left over to spend. Also, I would like to join the get Emery bandwagon. I wouldn't mind Tim Thomas if it was for one season. If Halak can be had cheap (Maybe Mesz or late round picks?)

Old
06-26-2013, 11:39 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Thomas's politics, like Bryz's politics, ought to be the very last thing on the list of concerns.
But will be the basis of every beat writers' articles, and radio hosts' segments.

Old
06-26-2013, 11:44 AM
GoneFullHextall
rustling jimmies

vCash: 50
I would be ok with Thomas on a 1 year deal. As others have mentioned he is a good teammate and if you are looking for a 1a and 1b Thomas isnt a bad option. give me 1 year of Thomas over Mike Smith, Dan Ellis, Chris Mason and the other crap on the FA market.
Yes I agree there is some risk in bringing in Thomas. But I think there are question marks with just about everyone on the FA market in goal.
Of course there is Emery. I would like to bring him in but again with his prior injury concerns I would be leery of giving him more then 2 years.

Old
06-26-2013, 11:50 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
But will be the basis of every beat writers' articles, and radio hosts' segments.
It would have to be considered, with the Philadelphia sports media's TMZ mentality, but shouldn't be the basis for a decision. I'm not against a 1-year deal, or 1 with a team option for a second, at a deep discount ($2 mil?). It's a big chance with an aging player who has been out of the league for this long to expect him to start an appreciable number of games.

Old
06-26-2013, 11:53 AM
GoneFullHextall
rustling jimmies

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
It would have to be considered, with the Philadelphia sports media's TMZ mentality, but shouldn't be the basis for a decision. I'm not against a 1-year deal, or 1 with a team option for a second, at a deep discount ($2 mil?). It's a big chance with an aging player who has been out of the league for this long to expect him to start an appreciable number of games.
I can just about guarantee(ok maybe not that far) that if Thomas helped deliver a Cup to Philly the esteemed Flyers beat writers wouldnt give a crap if Thomas didnt want to meet with Obama.

Old
06-26-2013, 01:37 PM
The Couturier Effect

I would love Thomas on a one or two year deal if the price is right. I don't care about his off-ice issues. They never seemed to affect his play on the ice, which is all I care about. And he'd be great for mentoring Mason. If there's any chance of getting Mason's career back on track, I think Thomas could do nothing but help.

Old
06-26-2013, 01:57 PM
Brostradamus
LegionOfDoom Reunion

The only reason that Thomas' political beliefs were made that big of an issue is because he played in an extremely liberal city. Honestly although I think financially at this age in his life, taking a year off was a poor decision, I have to respect the guy for putting his beliefs above the money. Not to discredit his talent but maybe his success had more to do with the defense first system he was playing in. More so my problem would be that we don't play that style of hockey and I'm not sure that the up and down game is something he would thrive in at his age. He would be well above Emery or Nabokov but also waaaaaay below Lu or Miller on my wish list.

Old
06-26-2013, 02:03 PM
Muad'Dib

Bryzgalov's agent Rich Winter is currently attacking the Flyer's goalie system while on an Edmonton radio station

Quote:
@OilersNow Winter says he's a bit surprised Flyers bought out Bryzgalov.
Quote:
‏@dantencer Winter uses the word "deception" to describe Holmgren telling him initially that Bryzgalov would not be bought out.
Quote:
@OilersNow Winter on Bryz making $40-million for two years of play in Philly: "Thank you very much, I'll move on."
Quote:
@OilersNow Winter: "It's terrible for goaltenders in Philadelphia."
Quote:
@dantencer Wow. Winter ANNIHILATES system in Philly. Says it's brutal for goalies. No clear lanes, can't see the puck, goalie coach no authority etc.
Quote:
@OilersNow Winter: "There's more wrong with Philadelphia's goaltending than just the goaltending."

Old
06-26-2013, 02:04 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Oh God What's This

Hahahaha, please. Mason had no trouble seeing the lanes and the puck, because UNLIKE Brygalov, he made a rudimentary effort to see them.

Old
06-26-2013, 02:07 PM
Haute Couturier

Even Michael F. Leighton had success under this system for a while.

Old
06-26-2013, 02:09 PM
Yourself

I would have preferred that they kept Bryz for one more season and then got rid of him if this all continued. He had some moments last year where he was good, but also those where he was terrible. Overall can't blame anyone for buying him out though.

I still think that there is more wrong then just the goalies in Philly however. Can't simply be poor luck on starters for this long, it is in their game and that needs to be altered imo before anything huge will change in net for them.

Old
06-26-2013, 02:13 PM
kudymen
Derian was a dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
If it's Tim Thomas it'd better be a 1 year deal.
4 year deals for everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
What evidence is there that Thomas is a head case? Because he happens to have an opinion he cares about?

I'm infinitely more concerned about his year off at an advanced age.
Btw. sorry for all those Czech examples I keep making (just like the idea of signing Elias yesterday), but these are naturally cases I know the most about - this example is a little extreme and doesn't necessarily have to work in the NHL: Hasek had a year off at 43, came back at 44, won the championship in CZE and a year later he had the most shutouts in the KHL. Obviously Thomas isn't Hasek (although I sometimes liked comparing those two) and Czech league or KHL is no NHL, but my point is that a year off even at that age can have a surprising impact (especially when you consider that Hasek had no major injury during those 2 seasons at 44 and 45)

Last edited by kudymen: 06-26-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Old
06-26-2013, 02:14 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourself View Post
I would have preferred that they kept Bryz for one more season and then got rid of him if this all continued. He had some moments last year where he was good, but also those where he was terrible. Overall can't blame anyone for buying him out though.

I still think that there is more wrong then just the goalies in Philly however. Can't simply be poor luck on starters for this long, it is in their game and that needs to be altered imo before anything huge will change in net for them.
I've been saying for years that spending large amounts of cap space on goaltending is counter-productive to winning a Stanley Cup.

Money is better spent on depth than goaltending.

That has not changed.

Stick with Mason. Get a cheap 1B. Spend the money on defense, wingers, and impending raises.

Old
06-26-2013, 02:22 PM
Danko
...the way she goes

vCash: 420
It isn't really attacking (Winter's comments) if it's true. I agree with most of that other then the comments about the system
(seeing pucks and clearing lanes).

Old
06-26-2013, 02:36 PM
EstimatedProphet

I really liked bryz from the beginning, being a bit of a space cadet myself. I can't help but think things may have been different if Pronger hadn't got hurt but such is life. That being said Bryz really did himself absolutely no favors with the way he acted towards the media and his attitude in general. On the flip side, I love Masons attitude and can't wait to see what he can do. Mason came in here like a man and said that he was going to embrace the opportunity and compete. Bryz just came off as insecure to me and in a league full of alpha males that just doesn’t work. I wish Bryz the best where ever he goes, hopefully he can learn from this and build off of it.

Old
06-26-2013, 02:46 PM
JackStraw
Moving much too slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan8828 View Post
I would love Thomas on a one or two year deal if the price is right. I don't care about his off-ice issues. They never seemed to affect his play on the ice, which is all I care about. And he'd be great for mentoring Mason. If there's any chance of getting Mason's career back on track, I think Thomas could do nothing but help.
What makes you say that? He plays a completely different, very unorthodox style. Not sure how that will help Mason. And, while I have no reason to believe he was a bad team-mate, from what I've read about him living here in Boston he did not have friends on the team. Kind of went his own way.

Old
06-26-2013, 02:50 PM
Codith

So he can't stop the puck when he can't see it because of lane blockage, and he can't stop the puck on clear chances like break away's and odd man rushes, then when what the **** can he stop? lol

Old
06-26-2013, 05:18 PM
JVR21
Sexy Hexy

vCash: 112
I can't stand all the uninformed Bryz lovers on the main board.

Old
06-26-2013, 05:19 PM
JVR21
Sexy Hexy

vCash: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codith View Post
So he can't stop the puck when he can't see it because of lane blockage, and he can't stop the puck on clear chances like break away's and odd man rushes, then when what the **** can he stop? lol

Closed Thread