HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Compliance Buyout Discussion

Old
06-25-2013, 02:39 PM
IslandersFan17

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
Well judging by his actions afterwards the guy sounds like a real baby and deserved it:

http://deadspin.com/lets-watch-a-fly...ium=socialflow

Real class act
He owes the media what again?

IslandersFan17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 03:31 PM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

Well Randy Miller is doing everything he can to help the players decide against playing for the Flyers. This is not the first time he has driven away players. His articles helped trade away Carter and Richards and now they are in LA with a cup.

I feel bad for Bryz.. I hope he goes to another team and dominates again.

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 04:53 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
You have to think Bryz goes back to Phoenix.

Jeez, they Flyers are so stupid. Trading away Richards and Carter to make room for Bryzgalov, only to [compliance] buy him out in the end. Meanwhile, there's a Stanley Cup in Los Angeles thanks to Richards and Carter.

Oh and Bryzgalov is pissedddddddd.
And the Streit trade thread is filled with people defending Holmgren.

Sound familiar?

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 05:49 PM
A Pointed Stick
W.W.J.C.D?

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
And the Streit trade thread is filled with people defending Holmgren.

Sound familiar?
Every day that goes by I am thankful Holmgren is a GM in our division.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 06:38 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
You have to think Bryz goes back to Phoenix.

Jeez, they Flyers are so stupid. Trading away Richards and Carter to make room for Bryzgalov, only to [compliance] buy him out in the end. Meanwhile, there's a Stanley Cup in Los Angeles thanks to Richards and Carter.

Oh and Bryzgalov is pissedddddddd.
Look at the haul he got from those deals though! I'd argue that those were good trades either way.

Flyers were horrible last year because of their defense and goaltending, but because Richards and Carter.

Add in stuff like essentially getting Coburn for nothing.

Overall, he has done a OK job.

Bryz is a debacle though.

06-26-2013, 09:27 AM
nyisles

Send a message via ICQ to nyisles Send a message via AIM to nyisles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
Well judging by his actions afterwards the guy sounds like a real baby and deserved it:

http://deadspin.com/lets-watch-a-fly...ium=socialflow

Real class act
Agreed, Bryz might be a headcase but Randy Miller is a steaming turd.

06-26-2013, 09:44 AM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Every day that goes by I am thankful Holmgren is a GM in our division.
Don't forget about the original fiscally irresponsible GM, Glen Sather. Looks like Holmgren wants to give Sather a run for his money for who can carelessly spend the most money.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 01:05 PM
seabass45

McKenzie said Isles haven't committed to a DP buyout but "one would think its likely".

seabass45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 01:20 PM
redbull
springtime hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass45 View Post
McKenzie said Isles haven't committed to a DP buyout but "one would think its likely".
wondering if they are considering:
- it's cheaper if he retires, out of frustration
- it's someone else's problem if I sell the team
- still trying to work out a deal with a cash-rich team such as the leafs
(trade DP for and an asset, like a #1 pick) to the Leafs for future considerations. How much is $24 worth in assets? or worse, if DP stays until the end of his contract if he's NOT bought out.
- still waiting to see if VAN will swap DP (and an asset) for Luongo

I don't think it's an easy call and I'm not surprised that the media hasn't had any clarity thus far. Snow doesn't share anything with the media, ever. And I expect Snow is still looking at all options.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 01:23 PM
scott99

Quote:
A sensible, rational person would "think it's likely", But this is a Wang owned team, words like sensible or rational do not apply.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 01:23 PM
seafoam
Pedestrian at Best

vCash: 0
Here is what Bob Mac said exactly...

Quote:
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 10m
Following teams, IMO, not likely to buy out: ANA, BOS, BUF, CGY, CAR, COL, CBJ, DAL, FLA, LA, MIN, NJ, NSH, OTT, PHX, SJ, STL, WSH, WPG.

MTL (Gomez/Kaberle) and PHI (Briere/Bryzgalov) are for sures. NYI haven't committed on DiPietro but one would think it's likely.

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 01:43 PM
Chairman Wang

To me the best scenario for everyone regarding DiPietro is if the Isles can find a team that has a multitude of shorter term but high priced contracts that equal or exceed Dipietro's. Here is something that I posted on the trade boards:

I'm really not up to date where these Leaf players stand in regards to their value. I have often seen posts by Leaf fans looking to unload the following players for peanuts. If indeed the Leafs were willing to just buyout the following players... what about the following scenario as a last result?

Grabovski
cap hit (5.5m x 5yrs = 22m)

Komisarek
cap hit (4.5m x 1yrs = 4.5m)

Liles
cap hit (3.875m x 3yrs = 11.625)

Total cap hit = 38.125 (actual salaries are 36.25)

for

DiPietro
cap hit (4.5m x 7yrs = 31.5) (salary is the same)

Several Leaf fans felt that Grabovski and Liles still had value. So it was a no go. But maybe the Isles can up the ante on assets (Such as swap firsts with toronto). Maybe the leafs can acquire other short-term bad contracts for assets then flip them to the Isles. Such as Heatley from Minnesota and a 2nd round pick for Liles and a 5th. Then include Heatley in a Dipietro trade. Isles likewise would return a 3rd round pick to Toronto. Little by little Toronto would free up cap space and acquire assets. Leafs on that component alone clear Liles salary and get a 2nd and 3rd round picks.

Chairman Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 01:52 PM
A Pointed Stick
W.W.J.C.D?

vCash: 250
If they need Ricky's contract to reach the cap floor why would Wang buy him out? The only reason to do it is to be able to stay under the cap which would imply that they spent quite a bit more for next season's roster. I am not hopeful about that. Even if they try to make that a reality for once I don't see how they can assume they can. If they buy him out before the first week of July they will be taking a risk that they can find enough salary to cover the shortfall. It would be far more cautious to keep Ricky one more season, make some moves during that time, then buy him out next year.

And that is assuming Wang would even allow it. Snow may have won the battle to put Rick in Bridgeport, but cutting off all together will really take some work.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 01:52 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Look out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
Look at the haul he got from those deals though! I'd argue that those were good trades either way.

Flyers were horrible last year because of their defense and goaltending, but because Richards and Carter.

Add in stuff like essentially getting Coburn for nothing.

Overall, he has done a OK job.

Bryz is a debacle though.
I don't know. Simmonds and Couturier are fine, but Richards is better than Schenn and Carter is better than Voracek. They could have kept those guys.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 02:03 PM
seabass45

Quote:
If they need Ricky's contract to reach the cap floor why would Wang buy him out? The only reason to do it is to be able to stay under the cap which would imply that they spent quite a bit more for next season's roster. I am not hopeful about that. Even if they try to make that a reality for once I don't see how they can assume they can. If they buy him out before the first week of July they will be taking a risk that they can find enough salary to cover the shortfall. It would be far more cautious to keep Ricky one more season, make some moves during that time, then buy him out next year.

And that is assuming Wang would even allow it. Snow may have won the battle to put Rick in Bridgeport, but cutting off all together will really take some work.
My gut feeling is that they give it another year with DP in Bridgeport, then buy out if all things stay the same, but I think they can reach the floor either way. Bailey and Hamonic deals + a UFA or two or trade should do it.

seabass45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 02:06 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
My gut feeling is that they give it another year with DP in Bridgeport, then buy out if all things stay the same,
You run the risk of DP getting injured and becoming ineligible for buyout.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 02:13 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

McKenzie just tweeted that a RDP buyout is likely.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 02:15 PM
Strome18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
You run the risk of DP getting injured and becoming ineligible for buyout.
Insurance coverage and retirement would be options.

Strome18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 02:28 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurthe1 View Post
Insurance coverage and retirement would be options.

That's not clear. From what I've read, insurance is limited to five years, after that, the owner has to self-insure.

And, a player can stay on IR indefinitely, would never have to retire, and just continues to collect $.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 02:29 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
McKenzie just tweeted that a RDP buyout is likely.
So we aren't trading him our first and Strome/Nino/Reinhart to the Leafs or Canucks?

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 02:31 PM
kmo429

Quote:

Hes in the minors, so his cap hit doesnt help us reacht he cap floor anymore. The onyl reason for this would be because we would officialy get rid of the headache. Wang would still need to pay him but no more cap hit, and hed be a free agent.

kmo429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 02:35 PM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmo429 View Post
Hes in the minors, so his cap hit doesnt help us reacht he cap floor anymore. The onyl reason for this would be because we would officialy get rid of the headache. Wang would still need to pay him but no more cap hit, and hed be a free agent.
I think that changed with the new CBA. I don't think you can banish a guy with a 1 way contract to the minors to get rid of his cap hit.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 02:36 PM
Chairman Wang

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmo429 View Post
Actually, the NEW CBA (for NHL contracts buried in the minors) only takes something like the first million or so off the cap the remaining 3.5 mil would still count as an NHL cap hit.

Chairman Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 02:39 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
So we aren't trading him our first and Strome/Nino/Reinhart to the Leafs or Canucks?
Sadly no and I was so looking forward to it too.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 02:48 PM
NYI JT91

vCash: 50
Listen, DP knows the Isles will likely buy him out...why the hell would he retire and give away free $ ? Answer is...he won't. Especially now since we all know there is some bad blood and DP is not happy he got put in the minors. He will do the NYI no favors. Either we trade him ( obviously would be the best choice ) or he gets bought out. If there is no trade made, chances are he may stay till almost the end of offseason so Garth can see where his team is at salary cap wise ( wether or not he needs DPs contract to make the floor ) and then make his decision. So sad I even have to say that...wish we just strived to be the best and not a budget team. If DP goes we will definitely have to spend $ between Streits contract lost DPs contract gone Thomas contract off the books and the mill from Boyes. That's 10+ million right there.

NYI JT91 is offline   Reply With Quote