HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Prospect Talk PART VII

Closed Thread

Old
05-31-2013, 05:25 PM
InformTheMasses

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
For what it's worth, the only reason I even compared Martin and Theoret is because I'd read a few times on this forum fans commenting that hopefully Theoret can be another Matt Martin. I was simply pointing out the difference between the two is that one guy had one particular skill (hitting/physicality) that was NHL caliber, while the other guy doesn't necessarily have a particular skill that says NHL caliber. So it's easier for a team to take a chance on a guy who displays at least one aspect of his game that could fit in at the NHL level.

The Mignardi comparison, again, wasn't a straight up comparison between Theoret and him. It wasn't a direct comparison of their skills (although if we're being honest, I could argue that Mignardi has better hands and is a better skater, but that's irrelevant to the overall point). Rather, just to temper ones expectations of a player just because he happened to have a very strong playoff run in junior. No more, no less.

For the record, I'm not even saying Theoret shouldn't have been signed. I was just stating why I believe the Islanders chose not to sign him.

Ah I understand. I guess I missed the Matt Martin comps. I only saw the joke from bonzo. He is great for one-liners and patented sarcasm. It's always funny when I get it, but since he never references what he is talking about, it usually goes over my head.

I enjoy your posts STK. Like I said, i'm just cranky that two draft picks didn't sign that I know would have helped out the Sound Tigers.

Old
05-31-2013, 08:39 PM
blinkman360
Joffrey Lives

I was bored and curious to see what an "All Isles Prospects Team" would look like. Here's my list(I cheated a little by including our 1st from the upcoming draft. So if you see Zykov and wonder "WTF?", this is why):

Nino - Strome - Zykov
Lee - Nelson - Kabanov
Ullstrom - Sundstrom - Petrov
Persson - Theoret - Halmo
x - Clark?

Reinhart - Pokka
Donovan - Mayfield
Pelech - de Haan
7th - Pedan

Nilsson
Poulin
x - Koskinen

Not bad, IMO. I know Theo is mainly a winger, but I couldn't remember any other centers besides Clark, who I refused to give a spot in the top-12. The defense is pretty deep, especially considering Pedan would only be the 7th and Russo isn't even listed. If de Haan can't get healthy, I'd probably swap Russo in his place instead of Pedan to get another PMD in the lineup. Lot's of big, defensively sound guys otherwise. A couple who are more smart, positionally sound(Griff, Pokka). A couple more mean and physical(Pelech, Mayfield). In net, they are all pretty even, IMO. I personally prefer Nilsson, but I suppose you could just ride the hot hand.

I don't remember the last time our system was deep enough to ice a full, legitimate team.

Old
05-31-2013, 09:56 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I was bored and curious to see what an "All Isles Prospects Team" would look like. Here's my list(I cheated a little by including our 1st from the upcoming draft. So if you see Zykov and wonder "WTF?", this is why):

Nino - Strome - Zykov
Lee - Nelson - Kabanov
Ullstrom - Sundstrom - Petrov
Persson - Theoret - Halmo
x - Clark?

Reinhart - Pokka
Donovan - Mayfield
Pelech - de Haan
7th - Pedan

Nilsson
Poulin
x - Koskinen

Not bad, IMO. I know Theo is mainly a winger, but I couldn't remember any other centers besides Clark, who I refused to give a spot in the top-12. The defense is pretty deep, especially considering Pedan would only be the 7th and Russo isn't even listed. If de Haan can't get healthy, I'd probably swap Russo in his place instead of Pedan to get another PMD in the lineup. Lot's of big, defensively sound guys otherwise. A couple who are more smart, positionally sound(Griff, Pokka). A couple more mean and physical(Pelech, Mayfield). In net, they are all pretty even, IMO. I personally prefer Nilsson, but I suppose you could just ride the hot hand.

I don't remember the last time our system was deep enough to ice a full, legitimate team.
Yup, you pretty much nailed it. You're right that Theo is mainly a winger but he does play center. Sadly in about 70 minutes he will no longer be Islander property so Jason Clark has to move into that role.

Here are some additional thoughts:

Thomas Hickey technically still counts as a prospect (only 41 NHL games played including playoffs, thats 11 less NHL games than Ullstrom who is still considered a prospect by HF).

Jason Clark is not as bad as some think. Don't get me wrong, this guy is a LONG term project and he'll need a lot of work and luck to even be considered an NHL player, but he's tough and pretty good defensively.

Joey Diamond can be considered for an extra skater. It was only 10 games but I can tell you I REALLY enjoyed watching this kid play. Maybe he's a gimic guy a 5'7" guy that gets a few breakaways and lights the lamp and occasionally drops the mits and is nothing more than an AHL ticket seller. But there have been guys with his skillset and physical limitations that have made noise before on a much bigger scale.
My favorite play he made was going shoulder to (hip?) on Taylor Doherety of the Sharks. Doherty crumpled and got put into the boards despite being a foot taller and outweighing diamond by 100 lbs. THEN THEY FOUGHT. This kid is fearless, and crazy and possibly a little stupi (jk) but I admire his grit and heart.

I too prefer Nilsson, but Poulins Glove hand HAS improved. I no longer view it as a weakness. It's not a strength but it is no longer kryptonite. He still has trouble with rebounds, but he still has time to develop in the minors. Hey Corey Crawford played 5 years in the AHL (after 2 additional years in the Q after being drafted) and look where he is now. You never now, he can still improve.

I would absolutely flip Petrov and Kabanov. Petrov is abetter player and has more offensive potential for sure. Much smarter as well, just knows where to be and what to do. Kabanov is younger, maybe he can get there.

Id probably flip Ullstrom and Lee as well. I love both of them but Ullstrom has more offensive potenial in that he can create for himself and othersand has more weapons in his arsenal.

Other than that, we are in lockstep with the prospect depth chart.... Then There's guys like Jesse Graham, Bischoff and Somerby. I have never seen Somerby play but I have read somethings (from people I trust) that suggest this kid could be something. I'm excited to see him next year in BU. Amazing that this kid is 6'5" 225 as an 18 year old freshman, and has mobility.

Old
05-31-2013, 10:30 PM
Tavaresfan91

why do i have a feeling that Reinhart makes the team and pairs up with Viz next season. i have a weird feeling thats our 2nd pair, i hope i am wrong but i see it like that

Old
06-01-2013, 12:15 AM
blinkman360
Joffrey Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
Yup, you pretty much nailed it. You're right that Theo is mainly a winger but he does play center. Sadly in about 70 minutes he will no longer be Islander property so Jason Clark has to move into that role.

Here are some additional thoughts:

Thomas Hickey technically still counts as a prospect (only 41 NHL games played including playoffs, thats 11 less NHL games than Ullstrom who is still considered a prospect by HF).

Jason Clark is not as bad as some think. Don't get me wrong, this guy is a LONG term project and he'll need a lot of work and luck to even be considered an NHL player, but he's tough and pretty good defensively.

Joey Diamond can be considered for an extra skater. It was only 10 games but I can tell you I REALLY enjoyed watching this kid play. Maybe he's a gimic guy a 5'7" guy that gets a few breakaways and lights the lamp and occasionally drops the mits and is nothing more than an AHL ticket seller. But there have been guys with his skillset and physical limitations that have made noise before on a much bigger scale.
My favorite play he made was going shoulder to (hip?) on Taylor Doherety of the Sharks. Doherty crumpled and got put into the boards despite being a foot taller and outweighing diamond by 100 lbs. THEN THEY FOUGHT. This kid is fearless, and crazy and possibly a little stupi (jk) but I admire his grit and heart.

I too prefer Nilsson, but Poulins Glove hand HAS improved. I no longer view it as a weakness. It's not a strength but it is no longer kryptonite. He still has trouble with rebounds, but he still has time to develop in the minors. Hey Corey Crawford played 5 years in the AHL (after 2 additional years in the Q after being drafted) and look where he is now. You never now, he can still improve.

I would absolutely flip Petrov and Kabanov. Petrov is abetter player and has more offensive potential for sure. Much smarter as well, just knows where to be and what to do. Kabanov is younger, maybe he can get there.

Id probably flip Ullstrom and Lee as well. I love both of them but Ullstrom has more offensive potenial in that he can create for himself and othersand has more weapons in his arsenal.

Other than that, we are in lockstep with the prospect depth chart.... Then There's guys like Jesse Graham, Bischoff and Somerby. I have never seen Somerby play but I have read somethings (from people I trust) that suggest this kid could be something. I'm excited to see him next year in BU. Amazing that this kid is 6'5" 225 as an 18 year old freshman, and has mobility.
Couple of things:

I didn't include Hickey because A) I didn't think he still had prospect status... didn't know how the shortened season would affect that, and B) I just don't see him having much of a future here. I know he looked solid, but at the end of the day he's a tiny defensive defenseman who doesn't provide much, if any offense. With Visnovsky here for another two years, I expect to see Donovan force his way onto the team taking Hickey's spot. I think de Haan passes him too as long as he stays healthy.

With Petrov, I actually considered putting him on that 2nd line, but I figured I'd spread out the size a little bit considering how big Lee and Nelson are. Ultimately you're probably right though, having a line with that kind of size and skill could be an absolute force. Not to mention with the way Kabanov's game has transformed, he's probably a better fit on the 3rd line anyway.

With the goalies, I feel the same way. Nilsson is ahead right now for me, but it wouldn't surprise me to see Poulin separate himself next season. Even Koskinen for that matter(apparently he had a big year in Finland... I kind of stopped following him after he left).

Graham has actually really impressed me as well, but there are just so many kids ahead of him, he's going to have to not only tear it up in Niagara next year, but guys like Donovan/de Haan/Russo will have to fall on their faces for him to find a spot here, IMO.

I like the way this Diamond kid sounds. Honestly never gave him much thought. Sounds like he has a lot of heart.

Old
06-01-2013, 03:58 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresfan91 View Post
why do i have a feeling that Reinhart makes the team and pairs up with Viz next season. i have a weird feeling thats our 2nd pair, i hope i am wrong but i see it like that
Maybe.
Reinhart had a solid 2012-2013 camp. He kept things simple and did not look at all out of place.

Old
06-01-2013, 07:59 AM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Couple of things:

I didn't include Hickey because A) I didn't think he still had prospect status... didn't know how the shortened season would affect that, and B) I just don't see him having much of a future here. I know he looked solid, but at the end of the day he's a tiny defensive defenseman who doesn't provide much, if any offense. With Visnovsky here for another two years, I expect to see Donovan force his way onto the team taking Hickey's spot. I think de Haan passes him too as long as he stays healthy.

With Petrov, I actually considered putting him on that 2nd line, but I figured I'd spread out the size a little bit considering how big Lee and Nelson are. Ultimately you're probably right though, having a line with that kind of size and skill could be an absolute force. Not to mention with the way Kabanov's game has transformed, he's probably a better fit on the 3rd line anyway.

With the goalies, I feel the same way. Nilsson is ahead right now for me, but it wouldn't surprise me to see Poulin separate himself next season. Even Koskinen for that matter(apparently he had a big year in Finland... I kind of stopped following him after he left).

Graham has actually really impressed me as well, but there are just so many kids ahead of him, he's going to have to not only tear it up in Niagara next year, but guys like Donovan/de Haan/Russo will have to fall on their faces for him to find a spot here, IMO.

I like the way this Diamond kid sounds. Honestly never gave him much thought. Sounds like he has a lot of heart.
With Hickey I understand what you're saying. But I think that's where our difference of opinion in prospect readiness comes into play. With the exception of Donovan, who is ready now, and de Haan who should be ready next year if he stays healthy, I think your going to see a similar defense for the next two years ( Hamonic, MacDonald, Viz, strait, Hickey, carkner) while the other prospects develop at their own pace.

As far as the petrov and kabanov placement. I guess I looked at it more as a depth chart and not future lines. Since obviously Tavares Hamonic Cizikas and many others will still be here. So these aren't future lines at all really.

Old
06-02-2013, 10:50 AM
JPIsles21

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Thank goodness we extended an offer to a 6'6" defenseman who can't skate, can't fight, can't score. Well, we do need someone to change the light bulbs in Snow's office, don't have to spend money on a ladder now.

On a serious note, not surprised about Kichton, very surprised about Theoret.

When it comes to Ledoofus, I really hated that pick, BUT, I always root for Islander's prospects. And I do feel bad for the kid because he blew out his knee this winter. I always root for them to reach their potential. I'm hoping he can become a big shut down type defenseman, maybe a 6 or 7 defenseman for Bridgeport or in the ECHL. I don't see any way this kid could ever make it to the Islanders, let alone the NHL. My biggest complaint was where we drafted him (4th round), with so many TALENTED players still available. Had we drafted him in the 6th or 7th round, I'd have no complaints. I have nothing against the kid, I wish him well.
People had a similar response when we didn't sign Gregoire and Kessel.

Gregoire just had a season where he played 60 games in the AHL and scored only 18 points as a 24 year old.

Kessel, meanwhile spent most of the year in the ECHL, collecting 41 points in 54 games, also as a 24 year old.

To put things in perspective, they are both Matt Martin's age.

Isles seem to have a good grasp on which prospects to keep.

Old
06-19-2013, 09:31 PM
smheilbron

Quote:
Couple of things:

diamond kid is from my town. long beach!

Old
06-23-2013, 02:48 PM
Lumisade31

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
I don't know much about Pokka, but from what I've read, he is a very sound defenseman. Like Scott said, he already has two years of professional hockey in Finland under his belt. I don't know the status of his contract, but I would assume the Isles will try to lure him to North America sooner than later, just as they have done with other prospects.
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
I can't speak about Pokka I have literally only seen him play twice, maybe 3 times, but i'm pretty sure it was only twice. In any event it wasn't enough to really evaluate or give you any insight on him, I like what I read about him though (hope most of it is accurate). I wish they would sign him and bring him over to play in Bridgeport next season to start get acclimated to North American rinks/style.
I think main reason Pokka didn`t sign contract this summer is because he started an army in finland on his birthday 3/6, which is obligatory in finland (if you understand what I mean). And other reason is that I think his team in finland (kärpät) will gave him this year a lot of icetime in PP/PK. They have a new headcoach, who trust young players and give them a lot of icetime and opportunities.

Old
06-23-2013, 04:08 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumisade31 View Post
I think main reason Pokka didn`t sign contract this summer is because he started an army in finland on his birthday 3/6, which is obligatory in finland (if you understand what I mean). And other reason is that I think his team in finland (kärpät) will gave him this year a lot of icetime in PP/PK. They have a new headcoach, who trust young players and give them a lot of icetime and opportunities.
Same thing with goalie prospect chris Gibson correct?

Old
06-24-2013, 07:45 AM
Lumisade31

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
Same thing with goalie prospect chris Gibson correct?
Yep

http://www.puolustusvoimat.fi/portal...f8a8fd3ca53ed1

Old
06-26-2013, 03:13 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Prospect Watch video on the Isles site.

Nino, Strome, and Reinhart featured on this video.

http://video.islanders.nhl.com/video...260837&lang=en

Old
06-28-2013, 11:43 AM
DarkHorse
Go Banana!

Apparently Mark Katic has signed in the KHL.
http://www.hrsport.net/vijesti/46262...ao-mark-katic/

Old
06-28-2013, 12:17 PM
IslandersFan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Prospect Watch video on the Isles site.

Nino, Strome, and Reinhart featured on this video.

http://video.islanders.nhl.com/video...260837&lang=en
That nino kid seems no good. Might as well ditch that bum as soon as possible

Old
06-28-2013, 12:50 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 View Post
That nino kid seems no good. Might as well ditch that bum as soon as possible
gota give credit where credit's due: HE SHOWED UP FOR THE VIDEO AT LEAST!

Old
06-28-2013, 01:02 PM
IslandersFan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
gota give credit where credit's due: HE SHOWED UP FOR THE VIDEO AT LEAST!
Well, that was the video from Snow's iPhone camera

Old
06-28-2013, 01:45 PM
Degeneration Rex

Griffin Reinhart and Adam Pelech have been invited to Canada"s summer World Junior camp.
Brent Sutter is the coach.

Old
06-28-2013, 01:54 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
Griffin Reinhart and Adam Pelech have been invited to Canada"s summer World Junior camp.
Brent Sutter is the coach.
Awesome ! They are the future of a great defense along with Hamonic, Mayfield and Pedan. Hopefully, our 1st round pick joins them (if we draft a Canadian). I wouldn't mind if Brent Sutter becomes our coach some day.

Old
06-28-2013, 02:44 PM
periferal

Nino/Pelech

Man...How come no one has picked up on the fact they must have had the same mother...?

Old
06-30-2013, 08:34 AM
DarkHorse
Go Banana!

After two years in the ECHL, 2010 5th rounder (and JT buddy) Tony DeHart is headed down to the CHL, joining former Islander Jamie Rivers' St. Charles Chill.

Old
06-30-2013, 10:40 AM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse View Post
After two years in the ECHL, 2010 5th rounder (and JT buddy) Tony DeHart is headed down to the CHL, joining former Islander Jamie Rivers' St. Charles Chill.
Jamie Rivers still plays?

Old
06-30-2013, 11:12 AM
DarkHorse
Go Banana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
Jamie Rivers still plays?
He's the GM and coach.

Old
06-30-2013, 12:54 PM
djavan

Mikko Koiskinen

Is he no longer an option for the Isles' goalie situation since he's in Europe ?

And, if he is, can he do it next season?

Old
06-30-2013, 12:59 PM
boredmale

You never know with Goalies, He had a very good season in Finland but he isn`t no spring chicken(he`ll be 25 by time camp starts)

Closed Thread