HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Listening to 97.5

Old
06-25-2013, 10:18 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

vCash: 500
I listen when I'm driving and it is horrible. Today a caller was happy with the Bryz buyout because "Hovinen." Host didn't bat an eye, either.

SeanCWombBroom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 10:32 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
I listen when I'm driving and it is horrible. Today a caller was happy with the Bryz buyout because "Hovinen." Host didn't bat an eye, either.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 10:55 PM
Stizzle

Quote:
That's awesome! That guy must really love the Oklahoma City Barons.

Stizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 07:04 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

I personally just like when Cataldi is being a complete moron as usual and the rest of the people on the show make fun of him for it. The crazy thing is that that is his character, but people call in who really share the same view. I don't understand how that's possible.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 07:53 AM
ihatebraydenschenn

Angelo Cataldi is probably the most annoying piece of **** on Philly sports talk radio.

ihatebraydenschenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 09:41 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
Angelo Cataldi is a Philly sports gossip host. I have no idea how Morganti and Jones even talk to him about hockey.

Both stations have BRUTAL hosts and BRUTAL callers. Obviously Ray Diddy is the man, though.

06-26-2013, 11:28 AM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Today the wip morning show topic on the way to work was: Sitting through too many previews when you take your kid to the movies and how that wears them out. They spoke some hockey but then that topic the entire ride.

Old
06-26-2013, 12:20 PM
nuclear reactor

Quote:
97.5 Experts: I'm happy with Bryz buyout because Hovinen.

HFBoards Experts: I'm unhappy with Bryz signing because Ericsson.

The experts are everywhere.

nuclear reactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 02:04 PM
Broad st phantom

Philly sports radio talks about hockey?

Broad st phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 02:31 PM
StoneHands

I dont know, you kind of have to take it all with a grain of salt. We're all hockey freaks and probably know more about hockey than 99% of the population. Even the dumbest posters here are here because they really love hockey. They may not make the best trade proposals or player evaluations but they are here because they want to learn and talk about nothing but hockey.

I don't expect the guys at WIP or 97.5 to be talking about the future of Cousins or Stolarz or to know the defensive play of Mark Streit the second he's traded. We have to face it, hockey is the #3/#4 sport for most people and they play to their listeners. If they started talking Flyers prospects or got deep into hockey, people would switch stations because most people don't want to hear that.

These guys are paid to know a little bit about every sport, specifically the most current topics in local sports. I like listening to Macnow and Rob Ellis because they will at least bring up some hockey topics to discuss. Macnow routinely even brings up the Leighton goal and displays his disdain for him, which makes him a good guy in my book.

Some guys you just have to understand that they are playing a role. The same way MTV doesnt play music, Preston and Steve are on a rock station and rarely discuss music, the morning show on WIP is there to appeal to the masses. If you're tuning in hoping to get some usefull information, you've made a huge mistake. If you listen for a couple laughs on your way to work and to find out how the west coast game ended that you fell asleep watching, you're good to go.

At the end of the day, it's all entertainment. It could be worse, it could be ESPN.

Last edited by StoneHands: 06-26-2013 at 02:49 PM.
StoneHands is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 03:08 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Which is it? Chicken or egg? How do you drum up interest in hockey, in a hockey town, if you never talk about it-- and instead talk about Monster University and children.

Playing Devil's Advocate.

Old
06-26-2013, 03:30 PM
StoneHands

Quote:
Which is it? Chicken or egg? How do you drum up interest in hockey, in a hockey town, if you never talk about it-- and instead talk about Monster University and children.

Playing Devil's Advocate.
The sports stations aren't there to build interest in hockey. They're there to talk about what the callers want to discuss. Obviously they can push topics in a certain direction but if every caller called up and wanted to talk Flyers, they would be forced to do so. They go with what gains them the best ratings.

The morning show appeals to the average bro driving to work that has a limited knowledge about sports. He may have been flipping back and forth between the game and whatever his wife is watching and didnt catch the end so he tunes in to Angelo in the morning on his drive to work. he gets a little sports talk that he can carry over to work but also gets some humor since he doesnt care to listen to sports talk all morning.

StoneHands is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 04:03 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

It's still a chicken and egg problem. "They want to talk about what the callers..." But if they could drum up hockey talk, then wouldn't the callers be interested in talking about that instead? Plus: Ratings and being moreso what they claim to be: a good sports station.

Perhaps they don't care who is listening (thus appealing to Joe Philadelphia), because a hockey fan is equal to any listener at a 1:1 ratio.

So, if that is true, perhaps the criticism that they aren't much for "sports talk" as advertised, and because they are not following the sports closely they have crappy views. In which case, the claim: It is horrible to us, still stands.

Old
06-26-2013, 04:24 PM
healthyscratch

Anyone expecting serious sports talk from Angelo and the morning team is doing it wrong. And then to complain about them on top of it?! This is too much.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 09:31 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
I personally just like when Cataldi is being a complete moron as usual and the rest of the people on the show make fun of him for it. The crazy thing is that that is his character, but people call in who really share the same view. I don't understand how that's possible.
One of my favorite rages of idiocy from him was the first day of NFL free agency, when the Eagles did nothing, and he wanted a march on Jeff Lurie's house for not wanting to spend money. Since, you know, teams who go on spending sprees on the first day of NFL free agency always are doing so with prudence.

And then the next day the Eagles signed like 6 people.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 09:37 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
Anyone expecting serious sports talk from Angelo and the morning team is doing it wrong. And then to complain about them on top of it?! This is too much.
It's not too much to ask to want the bar raised a bit.

Right now, it's just *******.

Old
06-27-2013, 08:51 AM
ihatebraydenschenn

What's everyone's thoughts on Al Morganti? I'm no hockey expert, so I can't really say whether or not the guy knows what he's talking about, but he's always seemed to have a pretty good grasp of the game.

ihatebraydenschenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 09:31 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by galvo View Post
What's everyone's thoughts on Al Morganti? I'm no hockey expert, so I can't really say whether or not the guy knows what he's talking about, but he's always seemed to have a pretty good grasp of the game.
Morganti and Jones are honestly the 2 people I have any faith in in their opinions about hockey. Ellis and Macnow will talk hockey, but I don't think they're as tuned in to it as Jones and Al.

JDinkalage Morgoone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 11:13 AM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Jonesy and Morganti know their stuff (Jonesy's book is a fun read, too). Problem is: There is not a lot of hockey talk.

Old
06-29-2013, 07:30 PM
rainrock

Time flys it was probably 5 years ago or so. Hugh Douglas was hired by WIP. They teamed him up with Angry Rob. Someone called in talking hockey. Hugh asks Angry Rob "I have a serious question for you, What does it mean when a team gets 2 points for a win". I'm like this guy is a sports talk host in Philadelphia?

I called into Tony Bruno show a couple years ago about Prongers eye injury. I got 2 words in "Chris Pronger" then Bruno goes Pronger- "I didn't even kiss her".

Him and his sidekick started laughing hysterically and went in a completely different direction, they cut me off. Both stations are full of clowns.

rainrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 08:27 PM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by galvo View Post
Didn't Morganti used to do Hockey when it was with ESPN? I vaguely remember him being with Thorne and Clement. He knows his hockey.

Coppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 09:48 PM
Wiqkid*

Every city's sports radio station is garbage. Most fans that call are absolute morons. I listen to Detroit, Denver, and Philly all the time and just laugh at the idiots. If only there was a national NHL radio station with good hosts that I could listen to.

Wiqkid* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 09:56 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneHands View Post
The sports stations aren't there to build interest in hockey. They're there to talk about what the callers want to discuss. Obviously they can push topics in a certain direction but if every caller called up and wanted to talk Flyers, they would be forced to do so. They go with what gains them the best ratings.

The morning show appeals to the average bro driving to work that has a limited knowledge about sports. He may have been flipping back and forth between the game and whatever his wife is watching and didnt catch the end so he tunes in to Angelo in the morning on his drive to work. he gets a little sports talk that he can carry over to work but also gets some humor since he doesnt care to listen to sports talk all morning.
Not necessarily. In DC, Mike Wise is first and foremost an NBA guy. NFL and NBA discussion dominated his show. Whenever the NHL was mentioned he was always condescending, and in general he didn't know jack **** about the Caps or hockey except at a basic level. He didn't want to talk about it, and so they spent a minimal amount of time on it. He's off 106.7 now, and the Caps get a lot more discussion. However, both guys that took over are chiefly MLB/NFL guys, so while they are talking about the Caps significantly more than Wise ever did, the Nationals are definitely their main interest and that's what they seem to discuss the most.

In both situations, what the callers wanted didn't really matter. Their twitter and FB always had people complaining about the lack of Caps coverage with Wise. It's clear the hosts talk about what they want first and foremost and have a list of topics they put together beforehand. I've never seen any indication that caller interest is a great concern for them.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who would love to talk Flyers hockey on Philly radio, but if the host doesn't want to spend time on it they can just ignore those guys. After all, there's more than enough Phillies and Eagles fans, and the vast majority of Flyers fans in their listening area will also be fans of those teams, so they'll still listen. They don't have to worry about a drop in listeners if they neglect hockey.

07-01-2013, 07:57 AM
jirv

definitely get more sports on 97.5 then 94.1, flyers get drowned out by mainly eagles and phillies talk.

jirv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 02:22 PM
The Couturier Effect

Against better judgment, I decided to tune in to 97.5 on my way home today. They were talking hockey (I was shocked). The first caller made me want to drive off a bridge. I don't remember exactly what he said, but he pretty much said he hated the Carter trade because we traded away another young player...and Missanelli didn't even mention the great, and young return we got from that trade. Some fans

The Couturier Effect is offline   Reply With Quote